DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Next community project
Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

What should our next forum community project be?
DHW SDL mapset or DHW TC style mod
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Another MotM contest
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Both of the above (concurrent projects)
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Nothing for at least the next two months
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Voted : 8
Total Votes : 8

ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:30 am
   Subject: Re: Next community project
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I have never mapped for it, and rarely played it. It will certainly be a challenge, but that's what makes it interesting. Mr Green
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:34 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hmm... I get your point, but I don't know if that's a good idea. I mean, I (and I suppose other mappers as well) consider this just as much a challenge as a project, 'cause how do we make thematic levels gel with these mostly hideous textures? I think we should stick to the original Lost Episodes and not change anything and see what comes of it. Somewhere along the line I would love to see a mega-mod combining SOD, The Lost Episodes and Wolfenstein 3-D - I've even made drafts for a mod like this a handful of times - but for this particular project I think we should be as conservative as is humanly possible and see what we can make of what we get.

I always see Hans the Axe as a "tough guard" rather than a boss. I hope you guys won't mind if I e.g. use him as the gold key pickup in a standard level... I mean, there's nothing bossy about him AT ALL... He's a lab guard in my opinion... A real tough mo-fo at that even... And that ridiculous vacuum cleaner gramophone robot kind of thing at the end? I mean WHAT?
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:40 am

Thomas wrote:
I always see Hans the Axe as a "tough guard" rather than a boss. I hope you guys won't mind if I e.g. use him as the gold key pickup in a standard level... I mean, there's nothing bossy about him AT ALL... He's a lab guard in my opinion... A real tough mo-fo at that even... And that ridiculous vacuum cleaner gramophone robot kind of thing at the end? I mean WHAT?

I do this all the time with the Ubermutant in SoD, so I definitely do not mind.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:44 am

Great! Yeah the Ubermutant is more a "guard extraordinaire" than a standalone boss in my mind as well.

But as I download the old MapEdit 8.4 which holds all MAP- and OBJDATA files ever produced for Wolf etc. I notice that there are two different MAPDATAs for SOD2 and SOD3 (but the same OBJDATA). Which one do we go with? I for one vote for SOD3, The Ultimate Challenge.
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:00 am

I agree to stay with the original formula, with no coding changes beyond new ceiling or possibly floor colors, to suit each mapper's taste in their map designs. Maybe a changed music order, just to keep things interesting?

I like that idea with Hans as a mini-boss, he's the coolest boss design out of the bunch, could be seen as something of an enforcer on various levels, protecting precious commodities with his/its life as opposed to getting a gold key the easy way.

This is just me going on a creative binge so mind me, but if one wanted to give this some kind of a story later on in development and make this a more true sequel to SoD ala Spear Res than the Lost Eps was, the emphasis on 'The Ultimate Challenge' should actually mean something this time around! If the Nazis really got the Spear back a second time, they'd definitely be aware of 'the Nuremberg incident' and do their best to ensure this doesn't happen again.

It would be set sometime after Wolf3D, and while there is no resurrection of Hitler this time they would see to the Spear as being the beginning of a new Reich era aka WW3, a new mysterious leader has taken charge, selected in the event of Hitler's demise to oversee the operation. For the supernatural side of things, the plot of the original TUC featured a demon called Abigor, who commands sixty legions and is the oracle of future weapons in new wars, which in turn grants the Nazis a renewed fighting chance and rapidly accelerating their technology capabilities (having been 'blessed' by the demon and explaining the hi-tech look at times).

But little do they know, their new leader has a special bond with this demon, promised great power for the lives of his soldiers, and is subsequently taken over and possessed by the demon in the end, to allow Abigor's entrance into the human world and create a Reich even darker than the original, one the Allies may not be able to stop!

Ahem, well that's that. What do you think?
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:00 am

Thomas wrote:
Hmm... I get your point, but I don't know if that's a good idea. I mean, I (and I suppose other mappers as well) consider this just as much a challenge as a project, 'cause how do we make thematic levels gel with these mostly hideous textures?
As far as my map would go, the idea would simply be not to make any colors converge at all; objects would be one color, and walls another. Then the enemies are another color on top of that, so things ultimately balance out. That's how I always "balanced out" the colors in my maps. You don't see me putting the Wolf3D Officers alone in a room with the grey bricks and white columns, nor do SSs appear alone in a room with blue panelling and blue vases. I have one set of colors offset another. Smile
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 36
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:08 pm

I vote for SOD3 too (although if we wanted too I could just mash the two texture sets together and work with both).
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:32 pm

TUC has a lot of blacks and blues, with RTD having some vibrant red and blinding white extras for the atomic research theme.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:43 pm

I am fine with either way.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:05 pm

I think we might follow AlumiuN's suggestion - combine all the textures from both "episodes" into one VSWAP. The 90+ Walls code is enabled, so we've got the capabilities. Smile
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:18 pm

I would still love it if we could go either the one way or the other - not both.... But what the hell...... If I get to look at this closely in the morning when all things look brighter I might change my mind. It just surprises me that there even is a difference between SOD2 and 3... I thought it was an old mistake, that there were no differences at all... But the red lab panels are pretty sweet.... "Code red" and the whole bit..... I don't know. I think the whole lab theme makes the whole thing IMO. The "straight" bunker/castle/whatever scheme is kind of lost as there are no real honest textures for either department.
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:20 pm

That would be for the best to have them all instead of only one set as it'd give a greater selection to choose from and mix and match.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:22 pm

I follow you. After all it is completely LE... No awkward-looking original Wolf walls (I love them to death but in an LE setting they'd look weird) - I say go for it.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:04 pm

I'll join the boat. LE as a base, BUT ceiling color changes are allowed (as well as pars - no other code changes).

If there is still interest in MotM then open up another thread for that but stay away from putting out hard deadlines right away (try a provisional 3-6 month deadline, but not a hard and fast one).
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:15 am

I think the MMC will just go on, till at least the end of the year. And then we'll see about the amount of maps and decide if we should postpone the deadline. Technically people interested in participating can already start on their maps, and just wait till the winner and new co-ordinator is announced at the end of the month.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:16 pm

The last MMC started even during the voting month.

But yeah maybe we can do this LE idea in 2015, with par and ceiling color changes allowed. Or more MMC if participation increases just a bit. Or both! Very Happy
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:54 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Both can start at the same time. Just that with the MMC there is a deadline and for the Lost Episodes there won't be, participants can just take their time.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: