DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

The best community efforts
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

What are the best community effort mods for Wolf3D/Spear?
BMSE (Original 2002 + 10th AE 2012)
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Map Making Mania Melee Contest (2004)
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Gex's Spear Levels Pack (2005)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Wolf3D Community Mappack (2007)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Map of the Month/MMC contests (2007-08 and 2013-14)
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Team Aardwolf Mapset (2009)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Super Haven Mapset (2010)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DHW SDL mapsets for Wolf3D/Spear (2011/2012)
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
DHW TC (2011)
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Voted : 5
Total Votes : 13

MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:51 pm
   Subject: The best community efforts
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

(Credit to Dean at The Wolfenstein 3D Blog for doing a post a while back with a new comprehensive list of all efforts to that date.)

There have been many community efforts in the time since Wolf3D was released, but like most types of sets, some are better than others. So what do YOU think are the best ones? You may pick up to three. Commentary, as normal with me, is welcome. Smile

I included the year they were released to add a little extra reference and reduce the risk for any confusion.

I'm voting for MotM and the DHW SDL sets as a shoe-in, and I think I'll put my third vote to BMSE though this one isn't that far ahead of many others IMO.
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 52
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:13 pm
   Subject: Re: The best community efforts
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I understand why you grouped them, it makes sense, but I'd vote for the first Beyond Mutantstein set but not the 2nd one. People may think the DHW SDL sets are of very differing quality.

Are you look for the favourite series of community mods or the favourite actual sets?

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:44 pm

My votes went to both Beyond Mutantstein sets, as I enjoyed both equally (though I haven't played them for ages), Map Making Mania Melee because it contains an interesting mixture of sort-of amateur maps and more advanced kinds of maps... Including some by Chris, truly enjoyable ones... And then the Map of the Month contests as they likewise encompass so many different things.

All community efforts were enjoyable though... However, I was never that keen on Gex' Spear Levels set - that one was too disjointed for me. There were no particular bad maps, but out of the above it is the weakest link for me.
serpens
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 17
poland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Darn, I've never even played Gex's level set or the Super Haven mapset. I forgot to mark the MMC/MotM sets when casting my votes. Other than that, I went for the Mutantsteins and DHW SDL mapsets, but my personal favourite is the 60 level DHW SDL set. So much outstanding vanilla goodness, even thinking about it makes me smile (plus I made an entire episode for that, so of course I care about it).

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:07 pm

Dean wrote:
I understand why you grouped them, it makes sense, but I'd vote for the first Beyond Mutantstein set but not the 2nd one. People may think the DHW SDL sets are of very differing quality.

Are you look for the favourite series of community mods or the favourite actual sets?

I presumed they were similar enough in quality to group but in both cases, I have no problem if they are turned into separate options. Smile My general purpose however for both BMSE and DHW SDL is that if one of them is a top three, then that option gets selected (though I personally think both DHW SDL efforts are worthy at the very least, not as sure about BMSE).

(Technically MotM could also be separated if desired though it would be 9 different choices, 10 if you count the Unreleased, and it could easily steal all the votes [3 different MotM mods] which IMO would be unfair.)

If you want I can also just post another thread, just let me know if desired.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:09 am

serpens wrote:
I went for the Mutantsteins and DHW SDL mapsets, but my personal favourite is the 60 level DHW SDL set. So much outstanding vanilla goodness, even thinking about it makes me smile (plus I made an entire episode for that, so of course I care about it).

Yeah man, AReyP's Episode 2 was a massive challenge... I did the Episode 4. That one was an enjoyable set... If we could make one like that again - that would be sweet...

And you're not really missing much with the Gex set. Some of Gex's original maps are OK, and there's one by De Zerkous or something Dutch (Ron probably knows lol) (who also made something called ZW1 in 2004) which is good - far as I recall - of course my entries were scattered across various of my own mods in 2005. Brian Lowe takes the cake there, though... I'm still not sure if he re-used some of his maps in other projects. And I think ack maybe contributed (he usually contributes to any map set out there) - so there are reasons to play it, but compared to the rest it pales a bit. I think.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:42 am

Quote:
That one was an enjoyable set... If we could make one like that again - that would be sweet...

Yeah, that one was fun! Both to create and to play. Fantastic mapping all around.

Zerkous? It sounds a bit like the Dutch word 'Zeurkous', which is someone who whines a lot. Which seems like a name a Dutch person would call himself Laughing
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:44 am

Bingo, that's the one!! De Zeurkous... Man I really liked his maps, but I recall major disappointment looking them up in an editor. Oh well. Other crap info: Another Dutchman by the name of bartje_remje added me on MSN and sent a map he had made, wanting me to send it to Brian Lowe. This was before I had even released anything. October or November 20, 2004. Yeah I remember random stuff lol. And it was a fun map. Imagine a 64 x 64 steel panel room with no separations in floor codes, just one big hell separated with areas of static objects and heavy panelling. Good times... I think he was even a member here on DHW but probably never posted. He was gone within weeks.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:45 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

DHW SOD is very good too, I think. I've always hoped to have something like those again. But the LE project could be a surprise as well. Time will term.

And the new MotM thread should also really be stickied IMO. Maybe the LE thread as well. Don't let those get buried!

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: