DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Mod HUD idea options
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Artists Archive View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 30

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:43 am
   Subject: Mod HUD idea options
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Ok, so far, three options. Brief as possible explanation: Aiming for the aesthetic feel of the original game, but not trying to be overly strict about it. For example, the status bar in the original game had kind of an old-English/German font, which fit with the themes established in the menus and title screen. But I kind of think it might be a little out of place on the status bar. Rationale: The status bar is kind of an expression of BJ, what's going on in his mind, his persepctive. He's keeping an eye out on his ammo, feels his health, knows his score.... how many lives he has left XD But seriously, BJ is an American military P.O.W., and I kind of think something like this stencil font might do a slightly better job expressing that. Maybe. That's why I'm curious what thoughts you guys might have. Also different experiments with key icon placement, not sure what looks best there.

But yeah, nothing is decided. What would YOU most enjoy having on your screen all the time as your playing? I copped the idea for the ammo count from RtCW, but maybe there's a nicer way? Should the percent sign be there? Numbers at all? Any and all thoughts will be respectfully considered. Thank you.

PS None of this is rendered, all image editing experimentation. Actually, it looks like implementing custom fonts is going to be kind of a task.
PPS There will be a traditional status bar option, turns out that's very easy in SBARINFO

And then here's a more traditional style, old-English font and all:

And then there's this orange font which I think looks damn slick, but it's the biggest departure from the original game of them all. But still, maybe it works?
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:38 pm
   Subject: Re: Mod HUD idea options
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I like the middle font, as it's the easiest to read. Although the vertical line for the northwest corner of the "5" is a little thin ...
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:53 pm
   Subject: Re: Mod HUD idea options
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Tricob wrote:
I like the middle font, as it's the easiest to read. Although the vertical line for the northwest corner of the "5" is a little thin ...

I might include both as options, just a thought. 'Traditional' and 'Militaristic' or something.

Here's progress so far, sans baby Blazcowicz XD:

Also the grey needs to be lightened; it's hard to see sometimes, even with the shadow effect on the font.
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:56 pm
   Subject: Mod HUD idea options
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Update: Editing fonts in zdoom has turned out to be surprisingly difficult, so I'm using this one from WolfenDoom Blade of Agony as a placeholder for the moment. Although it looks really nice and I think it's a re-upholstering of the original Wolf3D menu font, so we'll se... And this is actually rendered, not just conceptual stuff. Reloading works. 'Ironsights' zooming also.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Artists Archive View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: