DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Blake Stone SDL2 port
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Other Wolf3d Based Games View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 36
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:49 am
   Subject: Blake Stone SDL2 port
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Here

Looks like someone has ported both Blake Stone games to SDL2. No idea how well it works, but I'm working (and at present, failing) to build an executable from it. Looks good though.
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:03 am
   Subject: Re: Blake Stone SDL2 port
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

A friend just showed me this now, exciting stuff!
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:19 am

No executables to be found. But to compile it, go to the page and do a search for "Compiling". This section will tell you what compilers you can use and what components are necessary to compile it. I'm not terribly happy with the compilers it asks for, but it's better than dealing with Code Blocks again, which I have very bad feelings towards.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:28 pm

Under releases there are some win32 and win64 exes (which seem to be working for some people already).
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:06 pm

...somehow I missed the releases page. Oh well, building it myself worked. Razz

Also, Tricob, Code::Blocks isn't a compiler, it's an IDE. And why do you have bad feelings towards it?
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:33 am

OT -

AlumiuN wrote:
Also, Tricob, Code::Blocks isn't a compiler, it's an IDE. And why do you have bad feelings towards it?
The IDE is filled with everything that makes me loathe today's software: Setup is a nightmare, it's severely lacking as far as user-friendliness is concerned, and its layout comes across to me as extremely unwelcoming. It seems that it takes far more steps than necessary to do very simple things. I have to scratch my head when it takes me less time to operate a command-line compiler than it does to use an IDE for a programming language, especially since I'm such a slow typer.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:59 pm

Tricob wrote:
OT -

AlumiuN wrote:
The IDE is filled with everything that makes me loathe today's software: Setup is a nightmare, it's severely lacking as far as user-friendliness is concerned, and its layout comes across to me as extremely unwelcoming. It seems that it takes far more steps than necessary to do very simple things. I have to scratch my head when it takes me less time to operate a command-line compiler than it does to use an IDE for a programming language, especially since I'm such a slow typer.

I can understand that; it's certainly not quite as easy as Dev-CPP was to just set up and go (especially when, like me, you want to use a different compiler than standard MinGW). Layout-wise I've never had any issues with it, although that's probably more of a personal preference thing than anything else.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:03 am

Chris wrote:
Under releases there are some win32 and win64 exes (which seem to be working for some people already).
I did try this out a little bit, but only with the Shareware release (the 60-level version is sitting on a vaguely-labelled DVD someplace). The version I tried runs well, aside from some minor speed issues in the cut scenes and intermissions. The menus are updated for the better, and it allows me to fine-tune the game in ways the DOS executable never did. The only major gripe I have with this port is that the "ceiling toggle" key is hard-coded as the "C" key, and there's no way to turn it off. I have the action keys re-routed in Ubuntu to Shift, Z, X, and C for Run, Open, Strafe, and Fire. This is because Ubuntu's WINE (a Windows emulator) tends to fuss around with the emulator's settings whenever you press one of the Alt keys.
KOManiacJim

Topics: None

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:18 pm

I have the source port with the games I bought on Steam. I wish that the code can be used to boost the power of ECWolf. If they don't mind... I love the source ports by the way.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:42 pm

KOManiacJim wrote:
I have the source port with the games I bought on Steam. I wish that the code can be used to boost the power of ECWolf. If they don't mind... I love the source ports by the way.

Just for clarification: this port (which is on Steam) has nothing to do with ECWolf. Blzut3 isn't even mentioned in the credits.

You might want to ask your off-topic "power of ECWolf" request here: http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=174&t=6004
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:51 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I just got around to checking out the BStone port today and was pleasantly surprised at not only the modern control support but that the author re-balanced the high(est) difficulty for enemy HP, so they no longer take a million hits to go down, turning the whole gameplay affair into a [Censored]' grind.

They also put some of the changes made in Planet Strike in the original game, like sped up and proper animations for certain enemy deaths and explosions, and the unused ammo being fully green instead of half which never made sense in the original and was fixed in Planet Strike. As a result I wholeheartedly recommend this port to anyone that liked Blake Stone and wants it improved, somewhat, as I don't really care for it as much as I do for Wolf3D. Won't stop Blake Stone for being boring and repetitive at times IMO (if that makes any sense considering Wolf3D), but yeah I can no longer go back to the DOS executable thanks to the mandatory fixes in this.

Now I would get mad if a port altered original behavior in Wolf3D but here I don't care, since like I said I just never got into Blake Stone the same way I did with Wolf3D, they have all these enemy types and they hardly work together well or have very little interesting behavior to make them stand out among the rest. Weapon balance is still a problem, since the handguns are too weak to use past the beginning and the machine gun and chaingun equivalents are pretty underwhelming against high-tier enemies as well, but the HP reduction/fix on skill 4 really makes this more playable than it was before.

I'll have to check out those few sets that are available for BStone/PStrike sometime and see if the Wolf community did anything interesting with them.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Other Wolf3d Based Games View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: