DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Is MapEdit superior over ChaosEdit?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Joshua
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 156

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:06 am
   Subject: Is MapEdit superior over ChaosEdit?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Does anyone on here think that MapEdit is superior over ChaosEdit to make Wolf3D Levels? I do actually. At first I needed a 3D view, but now I realize that I do not. I am going to start using MapEdit and not use ChaosEdit anymore when I make maps. ChaosEdit is good for other things like importing Sprites, walls, and other stuff. etc. MapEdit includes endlevel and the Ardwolf sign in the Apogee version.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:48 am
   Subject: Re: Is MapEdit superior over ChaosEdit?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I naturally prefer Chaosedit because I often work with more advanced features, and I'm so used to it that I use it for vanilla mapping as well. Anyway, they both get the job done.
serpens
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 17
poland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:29 am

Funny thing, my stance is actually exactly opposite. I barely do anything graphics or sound related, but still prefer ChaosEdit for mapping specifically because of the 3D view. It allows me to immediately take a look at what I've just done and improve it if the execution was flawed (or discard it if the idea was silly). My mapping is already ridiculously slow and running Wolfenstein every time I want to test something would be an unnecessary hassle that I don't want. 3D view lets me avoid that.

Although, to be honest, there are times when I miss good, old FloEdit. So many memories.

Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:34 am

I have always used MapEdit ever since I started almost 10 years ago. I just cannot get the same overview in either ChaosEdit, WDC, Havoc's map editor or anything - they are all magnificent in their own way, but personally, being a bit of a creature of habit, I've naturally stuck with MapEdit since day one.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:31 pm

If there's one reason I like ChaosEdit better, it's because the symbols used have far more flexibility. MapEdit uses text-based characters for every symbol it uses. Because of that, each square on the map can only have two colors in all, and I'm not too happy with the symbols you have to select from. If that's not enough, MapEdit is still restricted to only 16 colors in all.

In addition to all this, you can simply get the same things done in ChaosEdit, but in a smaller amount of time. You can select things from a "Symbol list" in ChaosEdit, where every available selection is in one single place. In MapEdit, you have to scroll through the list one page at a time.

Finally, there's MapEdit's 8-character filename limit, which doesn't exist in ChaosEdit.

Granted, MapEdit is faster overall, and gives you a great span of numbers to use for Wall Patches and such. I'd be willing to go back to MapEdit if you could design using the keyboard instead of the mouse. I've always been horrendous with the mouse, as I've said before. Sad
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:43 am

Tricob wrote:
I'd be willing to go back to MapEdit if you could design using the keyboard instead of the mouse.

I remember contemplating keyboard navigation before too, and using a "pixel cursor" VSWAP/wall editor. That would probably be easier to program than an editor for the mouse. Maybe Ctrl and Alt as the mouse keys and Tab to switch to the list? Shift-Arrow Keys to move ~10 tiles might be handy. If you were to program this feature, how would like all the keys/shortcuts to be laid out?
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:57 pm

Chris wrote:
Tricob wrote:
I'd be willing to go back to MapEdit if you could design using the keyboard instead of the mouse.

I remember contemplating keyboard navigation before too, and using a "pixel cursor" VSWAP/wall editor. That would probably be easier to program than an editor for the mouse. Maybe Ctrl and Alt as the mouse keys and Tab to switch to the list? Shift-Arrow Keys to move ~10 tiles might be handy. If you were to program this feature, how would like all the keys/shortcuts to be laid out?
I'm sure most people who prefer the keyboard would also prefer using the arrow keys to move around. I personally would also prefer using Z, X, and C for the action keys, as a number of game emulators use the same key setup, and it does evade many Windows-related problems. Lastly, I recall many DOS keyboard-operated cursors let you use the Shift key to increase the speed in which the cursor moved. That seems ideal to me.

For the remainder of the commands you call up by a letter, allowing it to be called up by that letter and the Tab key would prevent them from being activated by accident.
Matthew
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 91

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:55 pm
   Subject: Is MapEdit superior over ChaosEdit?

I think Havoc's Wolf3D Editor is far better than any of the others. Until recently, it had an unforgivable bug which prevented rectangles from being placed that were only 1 tile in one or both dimensions, but that has been fixed. It is the only Wolf3D map editor that allows you to zoom, and the only one that has an "undo" feature.

Tricob wrote:
Chris wrote:
Tricob wrote:

I'm sure most people who prefer the keyboard would also prefer using the arrow keys to move around. I personally would also prefer using Z, X, and C for the action keys, as a number of game emulators use the same key setup, and it does evade many Windows-related problems. Lastly, I recall many DOS keyboard-operated cursors let you use the Shift key to increase the speed in which the cursor moved. That seems ideal to me.

For the remainder of the commands you call up by a letter, allowing it to be called up by that letter and the Tab key would prevent them from being activated by accident.

Wow. I would HATE to use the keyboard to do Wolf3D map editing.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 37
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:29 pm

Actually, WDC has a zoom function too.
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 162
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Here's what I usually do,

I use Havoc's map editor for mapping.
I use ChaosEdit for vswap editing, and touching up the maps I made with havoc's editor.
I use WDC to edit the end text screens and read this! screens, as well as to edit the IMF music and adblib.

I used to just use chaos edit for everything except for what I use WDC for, but havocs editor has a lot of features that make mapping a whole lot easier for me, and chaos edit is kind of buggy at times and I've actually lost my map files because of it once.

Topics: 37
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:32 am

These days I use ChaosEdit for anything I need to do involving smaller projects (community sets, MMC, etc.), with the exception that I use WDC for adding and removing music and AdLib and PC sounds. For my own engine all the assets are individual files (PNGs for textures, WAVs for sound, OGG or FLAC for music, LUA for scripts, my own map format for maps, generic text files for everything else) shoved into my own package format (currently only to clean up the directory, I might add compression later), so I only specifically need my map editor (which I should probably get around to either finishing or completely remaking).
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:09 am

gerolf wrote:
I used to just use chaos edit for everything except for what I use WDC for, but havocs editor has a lot of features that make mapping a whole lot easier for me, and chaos edit is kind of buggy at times and I've actually lost my map files because of it once.
Huh ... I've actually never lost my maps in ChaosEdit before, but I don't think that's because I was lucky. I have this cautious way of doing things like mapmaking and all. It goes back to a time when I lost half of the code to a game project because I didn't properly back it up (back in my pre-IBM PC days).

I suppose I haven't lost a map because I save each map in its own individual file.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:02 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Thomas wrote:
I have always used MapEdit ever since I started almost 10 years ago. I just cannot get the same overview in either ChaosEdit, WDC, Havoc's map editor or anything - they are all magnificent in their own way, but personally, being a bit of a creature of habit, I've naturally stuck with MapEdit since day one.

Same here. I like ChaosEdit for everything else but for map editing I still prefer MapEdit. ChaosEdit beats the hell out of WolfEdit and WolfSnd from back in the old days when I did most of my editing.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: