DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Mapedit Corrupting Gamemaps file
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:15 pm
   Subject: Mapedit Corrupting Gamemaps file
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

This is the second time I've had this happen. For some reason every once and a while, when saving my levels using MapEdit, all of the static objects/guards will be saved two tiles to the left of where they should be. I just lost hours of work because of this. For whatever reason, it doesn't happen on all of the levels. Looking at my most recent corrupt map file, it appears that it might have something to do with the specific map having areas that are only a single tile from the map edge, and the levels that were effected all had that. Thing is, I never had this problem back in the day when I used to use MapEdit.

Has anybody else experienced this?
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:29 pm
   Subject: Re: Mapedit Corrupting Gamemaps file
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

This only happened to me with very old versions of the editor. In versions 8.0 and above, this has never occurred.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:37 pm

I never had in occurred when editing Wolf back in the day, but doing it in DOSBox I have had it happen twice. It seems to be related to levels that had any area with only a single wall tile between a room and the outer map border somewhere within the map. Levels where the outermost room had at least two wall tiles between the room and the border didn't have the issue.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:27 pm

It's possible that this error occurs when the boundaries of the map are floorcodes rather than walls. I gave up such designs early on because it decreased the map's performance in certain rooms.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 37
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:53 pm

I never had this error with years of using Mapedit (various versions of it too). What version are you using?
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:14 pm

Tricob wrote:
It's possible that this error occurs when the boundaries of the map are floorcodes rather than walls. I gave up such designs early on because it decreased the map's performance in certain rooms.

I remember having issues with this way back in the day so I have always made sure to have walls at the boundaries. I probably haven't done it since my first set, when I remember weird things happening in-game when the map boundaries were floorcodes.

AlumiuN wrote:
I never had this error with years of using Mapedit (various versions of it too). What version are you using?

I'm using 8.5. I never had the issue during my level designing heydey either. It's only been when using it on DOSBox.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:57 am

I wonder if that is what Andi_CS was talking about here? http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?p=20287#20287

It sounds like the problem he mentions is only in the Mapedit Expand routine? If so, that would mean that the map itself isn't actually corrupt but only shows up that way in Mapedit, and won't become corrupt unless you re-save it with Mapedit after reading it with Mapedit? I guess the easiest way to find out for sure if that's really the case would be to try and open the map that appears corrupt with something else like ChaosEdit and see if it loads properly (before re-saving it with Mapedit of course).

There's another (I think?) MAPHEAD problem MCS seems to fix a lot: http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=2594

Sounds like that one prevents it from opening though, or ymmv? Posting any maps that break it could be handy I think! Very Happy
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:36 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

^^^

Thanks!

I don't think this was the issue being that I was touching up my map like normal and everything looked good. I saved and quit MapEdit and launched Wolf3D to test, only to discover all of my static objects had shifted two tiles to the left and guards were coming out of walls. I relaunched MapEdit and discovered several levels were trashed. I was able to fix everything though so its all good now. I backup often now though and as I am working on floors, always save my progress as floor files. I did experience that MAPHEAD issue in the early days of working on this project and luckily I was able to recover most everything from my temp directory.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: