DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Change ceiling colors, text, cheat codes w/out compiling!
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Code Crackers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Ringman
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:19 pm
   Subject: Change ceiling colors, text, cheat codes w/out compiling!
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Ok, this is a tutorial, but not like the one your probably used to but this hits at the newb level on easiness!

This is how to change many different aspects of coding wolf 3d without recompiling the exe all the time. Also this is best to try with a fresh COPY of wolf3d, make sure you have a back up in case you screw something up!

Things you will need for this tutorial:

1. UNP ~Credits to Adam Biser for showing me this program.

2. A hex editor ~Credits to Dugtrio17 for introducing me to hex.

3.And of course a fresh copy of wolf 3d.

Put UNP in this folder: C:\UNP
Put your hex in this folder: C:\HEx
Put your copy of Wolf 3d in this folder: C:\WolfCopy and rename the wolf exe too WolfCopy.exe

Now open up notepad or wordpad, or any text editor and copy and paste this in there:

::: CODE :::
UNP C:\WolfCopy\WolfCopy.exe C:\WolfCopy\WolfCopy.exe

Save it as UNPWolf.bat, and save it in your C:\UNP folder

Now go into C:\UNP and double click on the UNPWolf.bat. A couple of messges will tell you some things, but after that it should be ready to start.

Now, open up the hex editor and then first open up your WolfCopy.exe. If any of the following steps below do not work, then you did something wrong. Try again, or post a question here.

1.Changing the ceiling colors: Ok click on search in the hex editor, click Find in the drop down menu. Type "BF BF" without the quotes in the second box. Click ok. Now you should see in the LEFT WINDOW a bunch of 1d's before the bf bf and some 4e's after it. You just found the ceiling colors! If not try the search again. I have to search twice usually.

Now click on the tools button in the menu of the hex editor and make sure "overwrite" has a check mark above it. Now scroll up a line until you see where all the 1d's started. In my version there is a 32 before it, but it may be different in yours. This is where the ceiling colors start. Too change the color of the first level click in the first 1d and type 00 then click in the next 1d beside it and type 00. Now save the file as an exe with a different name. Minimize the hex editor, but DON'T CLOSE IT!!!! Open up the new exe you made, and go to the first episode. Check it out!!!! The ceiling is black. That didn't take long now did it?

Ok so your probably wondering what all the 1d's and junk mean and how they make colors and stuff. Well you see, each pair of double digits, for example BF BF, is a ceiling color for one level. These start from the 1d1d and go on for each level in the game in order. So if you count, you'll notice BF BF is level 10 the secret level for episode 1. That's the purple color. To figure out what are the pairs for each color use this guide:

Thanks Poet for that chart. Just line up the letters and numbers to the colors you want. So for example if you wanted the darkest red you'd line up the 2 and the F. This would be 2F or 2F 2F in the hex editing code. The numbers on the right are first and the numbers on the left are second.

Now that your done fooling around, check back to your hex editor, look to where that first 1d was and Look at the bottom corner of the editor. You will see the phrase "Adr. hex:" with a number beside it. Write that number down. Anytime you want to go back to where the ceiling colors are when you reopen the exe, just press Ctrl+G and write in that number in the text box. It will automatically put your cursor there so you can edit the ceiling colors again.

Ok enjoy that! On to the next tutorial: slightly less confusing this time.

2. Changing the high score names You should be able to do this in just about any version of wolf!

Open up your hex editor. Now open up Config.WL6 Perform a search, but this time make sure you click on the "Text string" radio button in your hex editor. Type Id Software, make sure the "Case Sensitive" box is checked. Now press enter. Look on the right window of the hex editor you will see the words "Id Software - '92" This is an entry name in the high score table. Click in the right window on the "I" of Id Software. Now type in your own name just as you would normally. Make sure you leave spaces where there is extra space left or your game will crash!!!!! Also don't go over the origninal amount of space provided!!!! You can also change the score you got as well, but I won't go into that here, though its just as simple. Save and beat a boss, like hans. You'll notice your name is the first name on the top score!

3.Changing the goobers parameter to something else

Ok open the hex editor and open up the wolf3d.exe. Now do a "text" search for the word goobers. It will come up with something, but that's not the right goobers. Do the search a second time, and you'll find the right one. Now click on the word. Make sure you are in overwrite mode. Type in whatever you like, remember though DO NOT GO OVER THE LETTER LIMIT AND DO NOT DELETE ANY EXTRA SPACE. If you have extra space just press the space
bar for it instead of deleting it. You can be really devious and just replace goobers with blank spaces so there is no cheat parameter!!!!! Save your exe after your done.

4.Changing the Difficulty names

By now you're probably getting the hang of this! Anywho, crack open the ol' hex editor and do a "text" search for "Daddy" without the quotes. You should immediately find in the right window of the hex editor the Phrase: Can I play Daddy? By now you should know what to do! Click on that mofo and change it!!!! Remeber to keep any extra spaces and not go over the space limit. Save your exe after your done.

Well that's all! Enjoy!!!

Feel free to add to this or ask any questions.

Last edited by Ringman on Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:20 am; edited 5 times in total
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:53 am
   Subject: Re: Change ceiling colors, text, cheat codes w/out compiling
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Heh, cool idea. It's interesting how things seem to come back into fashion, isn't it? Before the source we had Chris Chokan and Gary Ragland hex editing things all over the place... now hex is back! Chris once told me a way to add 2 extra keys, you have to change about 1 value or something, due to the fact they were already programmed into the engine - they come out like in Schabbs 2000. But you'd have to get him to tell you because I can't remember! Mr Green

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 am
   Subject: Re: Change ceiling colors, text, cheat codes w/out compiling

Guess what? The tutorial should now work for almost any version of Wolf!!! I updated the first post to explain how.

DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:22 am
   Subject: Change ceiling colors, text, cheat codes w/out compiling!

SUPER DUPER BUMP: This trick can be used to change ceiling colors in SDL port of wolf3d too. However, SDL port apparently dropped the "glitchy striped ceiling" feature, or whatever it was, and now the ceiling colors are stored in single hex digits, so searching for BF BF will be pointless. Instead, the desired hex string would be "1D 1D 1D 1D 1D 1D 1D 1D 1D BF" - that's the beginning of floor codes and it never appears anywhere else. The color-coding BF should have exactly 9 1D's behind it, coding the 9 non-secret levels of episode 1.

One thing that is obvious though not mentioned is that hex editor can change episode names too. This might be the most important string replacement, since making any mod would generally make episode names simply incorrect.

Hex editing rules! Also I think I suck at compiling.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:45 pm
   Subject: Re: Change ceiling colors, text, cheat codes w/out compiling!
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I think hex editing is great if all you want are basic changes. I did it for Six Depths of Terrorism and Armageddon. The Road to Neuschwanstein was the first time I did anything with the source code and even then, I continued to hex edit for changes that didn't require compiling, like ceiling colors and music order. At the time, all I had was Borland C++ 3.0 and it you could get it to work but it didn't work quite as smoothly with the code as 3.1.

You can actually get as far as changing the music order, adding new keys, an end-level item, and doing continuous levels with a hex editor. To get ratios past level 8 though, you have to compile. Also, doing continuous levels with a hex editor removes the secret level, so if you want to have a secret level it has to be floor 9 or you have to compile.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Code Crackers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: