DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

48 Games in the Super Upgrades and More
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Joshua
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 156

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:42 am
   Subject: 48 Games in the Super Upgrades and More
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I find it awesome that you can get 48 user created games for free. Back when the Super Upgrades were released, they cost $59.95 if you did not order by January 15, 1995. Call of Duty DLC cost more than this now. It is ridiculous. Apogee originally sold the upgrades for $39.95. These actually were good prices at the time. The random level generator and a map editor also came with it. "DLC" in this form was done right and at fair prices compared to now. The games and the level generator that came with it may not have had the best level design, but editing levels is still popular to this day. The upgrades said unlimited levels could be created which is actually true today since the VSWAP and audio can be modified in other editing tools.

http://legacy.3drealms.com/wolf3d/w3d_su_advert.pdf

The advertisement for the upgrades is just as awesome as the upgrades themselves.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:38 pm
   Subject: Re: 48 Games in the Super Upgrades and More
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

You could still get the user-created games free from other sources, but you would be searching for a while; they just didn't have everything put in one place. One mapset would be one BBS, another mapset would be on another, and so on. And seeing that you didn't have Google as your guide, you could be searching one BBS after another and never have a lead.

Yeah, BBSs - that was the primitive version of the internet. Smile
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 37
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:07 pm

To be fair, the Call Of Duty DLCs have a lot more work put into them. Also to be fair, a lot of the Super Upgrades stuff was, well, crap, frankly.
stathmk
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 73
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:37 pm
   Subject: 48 Games in the Super Upgrades and More

I don't remember much about the map editor. But I think that the random level generator isn't worth your time anymore. From what I've read on Diehard Wolfers, nobody wants to play anybody's submitted mods made up of random levels anymore.

The Super Upgrades games had no animation changes or graphics changes. The random level generator was for Wolfenstein 3D version 1.4G, I think, but not for Spear of Destiny.

Fileplanet.com had a different random level generator & Brian politely declined posting it.

The Spear of Destiny Super CD Pack had a Spear episodes random level generator.

AlumiuN is accurate. Some of the levels seemed to be sloppy, plagiarized, or superficial.

Off Topic: OK. I've just thought of something for some reason. JPB might prefer Voxelstein by Ken Silverman from Ken's Labyrinth. I can beat the only level from the shareware by bombing the house's walls or stabbing out the walls. The game seemed to have a lot of variety. I keep on forgetting to mentally add it to the list of Wolfenstein games with Castle Wolfenstein, Beyond Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein 3D, Wolfenstein 3D Super Upgrades, RTCW, RTCW: Enemy Territory, Wolfram, Wolfenstein (2009), Wolfenstein: The New Order, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, possibly Wolfenstein: The New Colossus, & anything I might be forgetting.
Joshua
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 156

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:53 pm

The randomly generated levels actually are not allowed to be distributed based on the random level generator information. They are technically under copyright.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 37
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:19 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

stathmk wrote:
Off Topic: OK. I've just thought of something for some reason. JPB might prefer Voxelstein by Ken Silverman from Ken's Labyrinth. I can beat the only level from the shareware by bombing the house's walls or stabbing out the walls. The game seemed to have a lot of variety.

Voxelstein wasn't by Ken Silverman, he just made the Voxlap engine that it used. Additionally, that wasn't a shareware, that was the only level released for it. I think the guy who made it was planning on adding more but never got around to it.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: