DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Wolfenstein 3d engine
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 162
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:09 am
   Subject: Wolfenstein 3d engine
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Was there ever a release of the Wolfenstein engine without the Wolfenstein assets? Or was it always just the source and game release? Like when the engine was licensed to Capstone to make Corridor 7 and Operation Body Count, or when it was licensed to Colored Dreams/Wisdom Tree for Hellraiser/Super Noah's Ark 3D, did they receive the engine and have to write their own code from scratch to work with the engine, or did they use the Wolf source as a base?

Last edited by gerolf on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 36
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:15 am
   Subject: Re: Wolfenstein 3d engine
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Considering how intertwined the engine code is with the game code (and by that, I mean they're basically inseparable) I imagine Capstone, etc. were just given the Wolf3D source to modify.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:39 pm

Back then, the engine technically was the game. It isn't like modern engines which are much more modular. Technically, Corridor 7, Blake Stone, Operation Body Count, etc were for-sale Wolfenstein 3D TCs.

I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 3

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:51 pm

When the engine was licensed they got the Wolf3D source code. Effectively Wolf3D is the example game for the engine. In Wisdom Tree's case they got both branches of the engine which is evident by some of the new code being practically verbatim to some of the code from the Mac Wolf3D source code. Out side of the engine source code, licensees were also given all the editors/tools that were used to develop the game.

What Barry said isn't strictly true, the Raven Engine (Shadowcaster and In Pursuit of Greed) which succeeded the Wolf3D engine was licensed out as just the rendering engine and some other bits similar to the BUILD engine. I haven't worked with modern engines to compare that to how things are done today, but ultimately it's more user friendly to give someone a working product to build their product off of.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:56 pm

Blzut3, what do you mean by Noah's Ark has code from MAC wolf? Can you give some examples? I was under the impression that they just used the wolf3d Dos source and all the changes exposed by NY00123 were just made by some pretty smart coders, but I guess they also used the SNES source code for that version. I just discovered the MAC source you uploaded here though.
Blzut3
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 3

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:08 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Note: I describe the SNES branch as the Mac version since that's what most people know it as and that's the code that was released. Calling it SNES branch/code instead of Mac branch/code would be more accurate, but I feel this would be more confusing. Perhaps I'm overthinking it.

While I may have worded that a little strongly, but the point is that the DOS port of S3DNA isn't just the DOS version of Wolf3D reskinned. For example, while it would probably have been easier to rebalance the game according to the hit point scale that DOS Wolf3D uses, it instead uses the Mac wolf hit point scale and damage formulas.

https://github.com/Blzut3/Wolf3D-Mac/blob/4ff692cf2a71f10cefc467e83c910399890747a4/Data.c#L89
https://bitbucket.org/NY00123/gamesrc-ver-recreation/src/b39c6dc9d44b57256dee7b03f91f5ea07a75d95f/w3d_plus/WL_ACT2.C?at=default&fileviewer=file-view-default#WL_ACT2.C-45 (Carl is off compared to Hans, which may have just been a typo on WT's end.)

If you look for the damage code in both you will see that it has been changed to the exact bit masking and shifting like the Mac version (bitwise operations were used in place of division in the console ports as a micro optimization). There are some differences in the exact code, but those can be attributed to the slight compiler optimizations that got turned into literal C code during reconstruction. I saw enough of this while reading the disassembly that it's clear that they tried to backport where realistic.

This is definitely no discredit to the programmer(s), I do feel they are smart programmers and not taking the lazy approach to porting the game only shows that even more in my opinion. There is original code though: the automap may be slightly inspired by id's code, but ultimately the differences in the two engines makes most of it original and as far as I know the MIDI code is theirs.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: