DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Version of Wolf3D with the source code released
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Matthew
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 91

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:50 am
   Subject: Version of Wolf3D with the source code released
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

With my Wolf3D addon The Devil's Attack, I am planning to modify it so that it works with the version of Wolf3D the released source code is for. This will allow it to be played with the EXE included in the source code. It also will probably fix bugs on some of the levels (in v1.4GT, E2L6 and E3L3 are almost impossible to explore fully, because bugs occur that often cause the game to crash or freeze). Of course it may create more bugs, though. Smile

I've never done trick searching in that version, but doing so should be far easier, because the source code is available, and the memory addresses of static variables are listed in "wolf3d.map". That should allow map codes for "areaconnect" and "areabyplayer" overflow/underflow tricks to be calculated, instead of trial-and-error searching. I vividly remember how big a task it was searching for such tricks in v1.4GT, which I did back in 2001. I created many test maps which consisted of a 64x64 room with a wall with many doors, each with a different combination of map codes. It took many months, but I eventually was able to find combinations for all of the tricks of that type in Temporary Insanity except the No Clipping trick. In "notes.txt", I listed some of the combinations I found.

I have a question: Which version of Wolf3D is the released source code for? I know it is 1.4, but which version of 1.4? Was it the very last version released?
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:47 am
   Subject: Re: Version of Wolf3D with the source code released
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

You can build for pretty much any wolf3d version with NY00123's restoration:
http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=7098

Here's an interesting note at the bottom:

notes-restoration.md wrote:
A few final notes

The source code as originally released by ID Software seems to be in some intermediate state in-between the late GT Interactive release of Wolf3D and the Activision release. As in the former, the GT logo is shown in the signon screen and some text is shown on quit (after changing to text mode). On the other hand, the project file is closer to the one used here for the Activision release of Wolf3D, having the source files WOLFHACK.C and WHACK_A.ASM added to the project, as well as targeting 80386 rather than 80286. If a guess can be made, maybe the changes were done while preparing the Japanese version of Wolfenstein 3D for the PC-98, to be published by Imagineer. There were at least a few more localized versions (apparently for DOS), though, so this could apply to any of these.

I haven't tried a byte-for-byte comparison between GT214 and ACT14 to see which one the Source version is closest to though.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: