DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Favorite SoD levels by section
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Spear of Destiny View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:49 pm
   Subject: Favorite SoD levels by section
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

What is your favorite and least favorite level of each unit in SoD? You can pick boss levels. Mine would be as follows:

Tunnels:
Favorite - 4
Least favorite - 2 (key placement is a waste)

Dungeons:
Favorite - 9 (a tastefully used shortcut here too!)
Least favorite - 8 (mazey-ness)

Castle:
Favorite - 15 or 16, can't decide, 13/14 are close too
Least favorite - 12 (not a bad level at all but too big of an optional area, it's optional even for the secret exit!)

After castle: 17 is better than 18/21 (though neither achieves full potential)

Secrets: 19 is better than 20 (though floor code use around the locked doors near the exit on 19 is poor)

Game favorite - One of the later castle levels
Game least favorite - 20 (not a bad idea, but not very well executed)

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:45 pm
   Subject: Re: Favorite SoD levels by section
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

MrWolfForever wrote:
What is your favorite and least favorite level of each unit in SoD? You can pick boss levels.

Tunnels:
Favorite - 4. I love the secret areas, and the level overall has a replay value.
Least favorite - 5. Too much of this level plays out exactly the same way every time you go through it. The boss sequence and the large secret areas keep this level from being terrible, but then it's hampered down by an unimpressive elevator area. The level is beautifully designed, and it is challenging, but the boss sequence is really the only thing I'd want to play through again.

Dungeons:
Favorite - 9. This level certainly feels the least generic of the Dungeon maps. And the secret areas do give this one an edge. Smile
Least favorite - 7. I didn't really feel this was a strong way to introduce us to the dungeon areas. There was very little in this map that kept it distinct as a dungeon and not simply a decorated hall. And I forgot everything I went through in this level five minutes after I completed it. That's never a good sign.

Castle:
Favorite - 16. 15 takes second place because of a very annoying opening sequence. In Level 16, the tension is high, but the frustration factor is lower.
Least favorite - 12. This was an overall fun level which was unfortunately marred by a secret elevator area that punishes people who don't push the walls in particular orders. In the Nocturnal Missions, it always left a bad taste in my mouth. Here, it's no different.

After castle:
Favorite: 17. Of levels 17, 18, and 21, this one played the most different every time you played through it.
Least favorite: 21. The regenerating ghosts and the map layout in general could've given us a much more tense, terrifying experience. But the Angel is too easy to find unless you're lacking a chaingun when you start the level. As large as this level is, you never even have to go through most of it before beating the game.

Secrets:
Favorite: 19. This is mainly because of Floor 20's faults - punishing players if they push particular walls in the wrong order. And there's too much time going by where you do nothing but push walls, only to find you're in a sequence that gives you neither key *nor* much health *nor* much ammo *nor* a path to a locked door. That was frustrating.

Game favorite - Level 4, to be sure.
Game least favorite - 20. For the reasons posted, I've only played through Level 20 once.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:50 pm

Favorite secret level: 20

Overall I think it's pretty fun ride start to finish. Never really liked that new Rock texture (that takes up most of Level 5) though.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:56 pm

Tunnels
Favorite: 4
Least favorite: 3

Dungeon
Favorite: 6
Least Favorite: None, but if I had to pick I would say 8

Castle
Favorite: 13 - This is more of a nostalgic thing for me as I was very fascinated by this level the first time I played Spear of Destiny. 15 is the best map
Least Favorite: Once again, none but if I had to pick, I would say 11

Game Favorite: Too tough to call because SoD has so many great levels.
Game Least Favorite: Probably 17 and 18. Not that they are bad levels, but they could have been so much better.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:42 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I like SoD 16 somewhat uniquely because it's one of the only originals that can be really hard on pistol start if you don't figure out there's secrets immediately, as opposed to only in the boss area. E6M9 is similar, but it's a smaller level and so hard from pistol start it is obvious there has to be a secret.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Spear of Destiny View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: