DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Project: Totengraeber, by BJ Rowan
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Rate the mod:
Best mod (of any mod) ever
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Best non-TC (i.e. no more than small modifications to original Wolf3D resources/flavor) mod ever
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Excellent
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Very good
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Above average
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Average
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Below average
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Awful
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 7
Total Votes : 7

MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:37 pm
   Subject: Project: Totengraeber, by BJ Rowan
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Sixteen years old, and this is still one of the 'go to' mods and among the shining classics. So just how well do you think it holds up?

DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:22 am
   Subject: Re: Project: Totengraeber, by BJ Rowan
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I wouldn't say it was excellent as I feel it fell apart at the end but it is very good altogether.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:51 am

Around what floor and why?

Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:31 pm

I went with best mod ever, together with Schabbs 2000, Totengraeber was always the go-to mod for me, both as a player and as a mapper. Even if it sounds corny I still believe that I get inspired anew when I play Totengraeber or Schabbs 2000.

With Totengraeber you also get a very distinct feeling of what each unit feels like. Due to the beautiful, slick graphics the unitary division is much more pronounced than in e.g. Schabbs 2000 or early Barry Christian projects, and I cannot imagine what it must have felt like playing this when it originally came out. I first played it in late 2003 shortly after discovering that mods actually existed for Wolf, and since then I always used Totengraeber as the framework of what a perfect mod would be like. It takes everything that's good about all episodes of original Wolf and even Spear to a degree and gives it a swift kick up the ass with gusto and great taste. To me it never gets old.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:34 pm

Thomas wrote:

With Totengraeber you also get a very distinct feeling of what each unit feels like. Due to the beautiful, slick graphics the unitary division is much more pronounced than in e.g. Schabbs 2000 or early Barry Christian projects, and I cannot imagine what it must have felt like playing this when it originally came out. I first played it in late 2003 shortly after discovering that mods actually existed for Wolf, and since then I always used Totengraeber as the framework of what a perfect mod would be like. It takes everything that's good about all episodes of original Wolf and even Spear to a degree and gives it a swift kick up the ass with gusto and great taste. To me it never gets old.

Totengraeber blew me away when I first played it in 1999. You know it was good as it held the crown of "top mod" in the eyes of many in the community until Spear Resurrection dethroned it. I was working on TRTN at the time Totengraeber came out and that is what inspired me to compile the source code instead of hex edit like I did when making Armageddon. I agree with you, playing Totengraeber, Assassinate Hitler, or Schabbs 2000 still inspire me today.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:10 am

MrWolfForever wrote:
Around what floor and why?

The late floors, I heard the end got rushed so they felt like filler.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:33 am

Have you played them yourself?

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:28 am

I can understand Thomas's view, being one of his first mods it probably felt like a fresh whole new interesting world to explore.

For me, I found Conflicts in the Fatherland before Totengraeber was a thing, and CiTF wasn't very known at that time, and I remember emailing B.J. Rowan and telling him how impressed I was with his levels and tweaks and how they complimented and enhanced the game quite well (which was a pretty unheard of thing at the time). So with Totengraeber I had expectations that it would be another great and wolf-like adventure with interesting quality levels from the start, but really did not like the gray and black that was added to everything (status bar, guns, doors, steel walls, etc.) and it's glossy/fancy modern realism, and couldn't really get into the levels for some reason (I think the farthest I ever made it to in one session was Level 6). This mod also set the tone for most of the stuff that came out later, during the "Totengraeber / source code" era which could also be considered the "gray/make everything feel more modern/realistic" era I guess. Thank god for Brian Lowe for posting whatever fun and silly mods he could find on his News at the time, like the things by Ross Williams and fragger, or I probably would have gone insane.

Thankfully, there is a much more diverse group of modders these days with appreciation for all different things that were fun and colorful about the original. I think Barry said it really well with this comment (though I might be taking it out of context Laughing):

Quote:
In this decade being that the novelty of the source code has worn off and most boundaries already explored, I think the focus has shifted back to focus on quality and I think both classic-style mods and TCs are appreciated.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:18 pm

The last time I played it was years ago, but my impression from then is very much in line with what Thomas has said. However, this thread has made me curious about replaying it. I wonder how it will hold up.

I should really play Conflict in the Fatherland again as well, I've been hearing from a couple of people now that they prefer it over Totengraeber.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:33 pm

@ronwolf I would prefer if the Atomprojekt demo was a higher priority, if you don't mind? Being a tester I'd like to get as much feedback as possible on that demo.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:41 pm

ronwolf1705 wrote:
The last time I played it was years ago, but my impression from then is very much in line with what Thomas has said. However, this thread has made me curious about replaying it. I wonder how it will hold up.

I should really play Conflict in the Fatherland again as well, I've been hearing from a couple of people now that they prefer it over Totengraeber.

I am currently in the process of replaying Assassinate Hitler and Schabbs 2000 to see how they hold up today (I haven't played either all the way through since the early 2000s). I have played a little bit of Conflict in the Fatherland. It is excellent but I like Totengraeber better, personally.

@Chris, I am surprised CiTF was not more popular back in its day as its mapping was a definite cut above most of what was available at the time. I didn't even try it for the first time until after I played Totengraeber. Prior to the Chokage/Assassinate Hitler/Schabbs 2000 era, really good, quality mapsets that held up well with the original game were few and far between from my memory. I also agree with you that the graphics changes in Totengraeber, IMO, were unnecessary. However, they were very trendy at the time and it seems like everybody was "borrowing" the graphics from Totengraeber. I considered it for TRTN but opted to use the original graphics and am glad I did.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:18 pm

MrWolfForever wrote:
Have you played them yourself?

Well yeah, I beat the ECWolf version last year. I enjoyed the vast majority of the mod, just felt the end wasn't as interesting as the rest of the game.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:23 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

If you recall was it good through at least Floor 31? (Out of 41, so I'm saying first 75% of the mod)

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: