2 sound questions...
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

DieHard Wolfers -> Audio Adventures

#1: 2 sound questions... Author: ChiefRebelAngelLocation: Northern Darkness PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:26 pm
    —
First of all, I'm a TC purist as I've stated before, meaning I prefer all original graphics, levels etc. Now it's hypocrite time for the Chief. I love ROTT. Always have. I'm desperatly in need of some weapons sounds, and I want to know if any of you may possibly have the entire ROTT weapons .wav saved anywhere. The pistol and dual pistols sounded so tough, it makes me blood thirsty.

If not, is it possible to extract them? I've used ROTT's level editor before, but I'm unaware of a sound extractor. I also do not own the full ROTT, so that may be a problem for the sounds... What?

I need that dag-nabbit sound!

#2: Re: 2 sound questions... Author: ChrisLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:07 pm
    —
Just like many other games, the wave files are hidden in the largest file; uncompressed.

If you play them in a tracker, there'll be alot of white noise, you just have to dig through it and find where the sounds are (usually you can tell by the waveforms, they vary in both high and low frequecies like hills). Once you find them, you just have to figure out at what speed / bitrate / stereo settings they're being played at. Usually, the best way to tell is just by listening to it by ear.

I just opened HUNTBGIN.WAD, and the sounds for it started at about 4.7 meg into the file; encoded in 11khz/mono. If you want to hear it, I extracted the sound section to a wave file:

http://www.canadianphilatelics.com/choksta/rott.wav

Here's a picture of HUNTBGIN.WAD (6,436,871 bytes), the section circled in yellow is what I kept:

#3: Re: 2 sound questions... Author: Zero X. DiamondLocation: The Planet of the Tiny Hut People PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:18 am
    —
Or, you could do it the easy way and use XWE. Smile

#4: Re: 2 sound questions... Author: ChrisLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:00 am
    —
Zero X. Diamond wrote:
Or, you could do it the easy way and use XWE.

I disagree with your opinion Zero, but I can understand your perspective.

When I was reading your comment about XWE, I had to ask myself questions like where do I find it, how does it work, what are it's limitions, what it's compatible with? To actually find and learn about a program created by someone would take alot more effort for me than to just rip open a file for a game like ROTT and grab the wave files.

There's alot more techniques that I would have used before resorting to looking for programs on the internet as well, like just recording the shotgun sounds straight from the computer to wave while playing. To me, taking these routes is a walk in the park. Maybe if you tried them sometime, you'd find some good uses for them in the future.

Anyways, your "easy way" comment didn't sit too well with me, so I thought I'd put each method in a more equal and justified position... where I feel they belong. Now I must eat cereal. Have a nice day! Smile

#5: Re: 2 sound questions... Author: ChiefRebelAngelLocation: Northern Darkness PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:48 am
    —
Hey thanks Chris, don't remove that link! I'm at work and I can't download at this terminal! Thanks for the tips. Any sound editing programs you'd recommend?? I'm using Goldwave.

#6: Re: 2 sound questions... Author: Adam BiserLocation: USA PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:44 pm
    —
I use Goldwave also. It's pretty good. Don't know if it's what Chris would recommend, but I do. Smile

#7: Re: 2 sound questions... Author: ChiefRebelAngelLocation: Northern Darkness PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:10 pm
    —
I can't wait to get home and dig for that pistol sound!! Is the standard digitized wolf sound 8bit, mono, 11hz ? Because I'll have to convert the Rott fx through Goldwave, I just can't remember the Wolf format.

#8: Re: 2 sound questions... Author: ZuljinRaynor PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:56 pm
    —
I use Nero WaveEditor bundled with Nero Burning Software. Converting is simple in Nero WaveEditor. Sockman compared a .wav that was converted in Goldwave and NWSE and the Nero one sounded better. So if you got Nero Burining Rom 5, try using the Nero WaveEditor.

#9: Re: 2 sound questions... Author: ChiefRebelAngelLocation: Northern Darkness PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:06 pm
    —
I do indeed!! I use Nero, I'll have to load it up later tonight!!! Thanks once again for that spear tip!!! AMAZING!!!! Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

#10: Re: 2 sound questions... Author: Adam BiserLocation: USA PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:02 pm
    —
8-bit Mono 6896 Hz.

#11: Re: 2 sound questions... Author: JackaLLocation: Rotorua, New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:22 am
    —
i use goldwave, its the shizzle Razz

#12: Re: 2 sound questions... Author: ChiefRebelAngelLocation: Northern Darkness PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:53 am
    —
@Chris: Thank you very much! It worked perfectly. There were little sound 'blips' every few seconds, but it didn't take long to clean up. Bless you! Bless you!

DieHard Wolfers -> Audio Adventures

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1