Below Average
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 25
Total Votes : 46

#1: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: BrotherTankLocation: Ontario PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:59 pm
    —
Part of the U-Rate-It Series... Tells us what you think of this add-on.
Your voting will help rate the software listed on our homepage and any comments may be used in the sites review of the game...

Post your "Review" below, if you'd like to tell us more...

Greg
BrotherTank

#2: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Guest PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:42 pm
    —
I love to play this addon since BJ released.. That why I gave his addon rated is 9/10. because if you get cheat, you will not get any score. I like that featuire was issued... Very Happy Very Happy

#3: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Zach PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 7:45 pm
    —
In my opinion this is the perfect TC. This was the original Project: InsertGermanNoun. So awesome. It's like the Nirvana (talking about the band) of Wolfenstein. Busted in with a down to earth style that was completely orginal. Only problem is... after that came the unoriginal Bullshiz like Bush... er uhm I mean Projekt Vertilgung. Very Happy

Fantastic. There will never be another Project Totengraeber!

#4: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Executor PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:48 am
    —
Project Totengraeber is God's own TC.

#5: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Reivax44Location: Adelaide. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:21 pm
    —
A very NICE tc... In my top 20 tc's of all time!! (that's a compliment).

Cool

#6: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Guest PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:35 pm
    —
Yeah, BJ Rowan's Project Totengreaber was VERY VERY great because that was one of the first TC to have "real" source code changes in it.

#7: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Adhesive_Boy PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 8:44 am
    —
It IS above average, but I also feel that it is a supremely overrated TC. And I'll go into a detailed explination, if anybody wants, but I'll have to reunite myself with it before I go into any specifics.

I'm not saying my opinion is the definitive one, though. I can fully understand why so many people love Totengraeber, I just don't happen to...

EDIT: I'm really suprised that it got two "below average" votes and a majority "above average" votes. I always thought I was the minority. I guess Totengraeber hasn't aged very well...

#8: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Guest PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 8:49 am
    —
Adhesive_Boy wrote:
It IS above average, but I also feel that it is a supremely overrated TC. And I'll go into a detailed explination, if anybody wants, but I'll have to reunite myself with it before I go into any specifics.

I'm not saying my opinion is the definitive one, though. I can fully understand why so many people love Totengraeber, I just don't happen to...

EDIT: I'm really suprised that it got two "below average" votes and a majority "above average" votes. I always thought I was the minority. I guess Totengraeber hasn't aged very well...

Couldn't agree more Jack..

#9: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: BlitzkriegLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:24 am
    —
Totengraeber = awesome.

#10: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: IanFrankenLocation: Amerika PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:01 am
    —
Totengraeber was, and is, the definitive Wolf3D TC. I know the opinions about it have changed a bit in recent years, but here's a flashback for some of you in case you weren't in the scene years back...

In 1999 / 2000, there weren't a lot of atmospheric TCs. Sure, there was Beyond Wolfenstein IISE and Operation Panzerschiff, but those games just didn't provide the oldschool feel of Wolf3D along with something new and original very well. They were more about flash and wowing us with source code changes. Totengraeber totally changed that...It was the first true TC that captured the feeling of Wolf3D but also had an atmosphere of its own. When Toten came out, the whole scene went FLAT...Everyone just stopped what they were doing and released a zillion Episode 2 based games with more source code mods than Toten trying to best it. They couldn't, and most of them still can't.

The only TC I can think of in recent years that could compare to it would be Spear Resurrection (both of which I think are tied at the number 1 spot for me).

As for what I think of Toten today, I'm still impressed by it. If I have to pick some things I'm not happy about, I would say that some of the final levels are very "rushed" feeling and it feels like BJ Rowan was just trying to finish up with this game at this point and move on. The Schabbs and Hitler confrontation levels could've been a lot better, I agree, as they just don't fit in with the rest. However, these minor qualms won't keep me from playing Toten repeatedly...And also, remember, even a single third rate BJ Rowan level is probably better than the last five TCs released last week...

I do think that Conflict in the Fatherland (Rowan's previous 60 level set) was probably better designed level wise. However, Toten has its own unique look, sound and feel that still makes it the TC that most games will be compared against for years to come.

-Ian

#11: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Guest PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:19 pm
    —
For me, Totengraeber proved to be one of the greatest gaming experiences ever.

It had everything right - the old original Wolf3d feeling and a lot of neat new features. And the new graphics were excellent as well.

#12: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: XarkonLocation: West Australia PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:01 am
    —
Executor wrote:
Project Totengraeber is God's own TC.

Yeah...

#13: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: sentencedLocation: Liverpool, England PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:08 am
    —
I don't know... maybe I'm weird, but:

I just love the last level... with Schabbs in his neat office area... it's so symbolic... I have fond memories of playing through the game when I became interested in Wolf3D (years ago)... I just adore that office area...

#14: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: The_EgAtLocation: Iceland PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:00 am
    —
I love it!

#15: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Guest PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:39 pm
    —
Totengraeber's one of my favorites. I played the original that only went to 24 or so floors, and ended with the demise of Hans Grosse. Later I played them all again to finish the episode. The super
secret level is one of my all time favorites, not because it's insanely difficult, but because it's so much fun.

I keep a desktop shortcut for Totegraeber, even though it's two years since I finished it. I saved most of the floors, and this is a great one to play selected floors from elevator to elevator, without any saving. The jamming chain gun was a great idea.

#16: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Dr. Chainsaw PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:46 pm
    —
I thought it was good but for me it didn't live up to the hype.

#17: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: DeanLocation: Australia PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:37 pm
    —
I've just completed Totengraeber for the first time and is probably the best TC i've played.

I've played Spear Res. and End of destiny and they are both great games, but neither is quite as good as this. I would also rate it in front of the original Wolf3d.
It's a shame that Brian isn't still in the Wolf scene and releasing mods. Sad

#18: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Thomas PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:59 am
    —

Last edited by Thomas on Sat May 28, 2011 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

#19: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: DeanLocation: Australia PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:32 pm
    —
Yeah, i don't think he's here at all unfortunatly.

I know under his last psuedonym 'B.Blaze' he hasn't logged in since June 2004. If you go back and read his post from that time he seemed really keen on getting back into Wolf and then weeks later just totally disappeared again. Weird.

I know his sites have all disabled, except some site he has on his cars. Here's the link if anyone's interested.

www.gallery.bjrowan.com/

It's funny how in a few of his posts how he says that he wasnt all that proud of some of the levels in totengraeber but that its in so many peoples top 10 lists.
Think i'll work my way through Conflict in the Fatherland now, seeing i never finished playing that either.

#20: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Born4battleLocation: Denver PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:14 pm
    —
Its almost like BJ Rowan fell off the edge of the earth...

#21: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Thomas PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:20 am
    —

Last edited by Thomas on Sat May 28, 2011 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

#22: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Born4battleLocation: Denver PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:40 am
    —
Its, a real shame, he had some good TC's. (what this thread is all about) I couldn't find an email link on his site, so I dont know if he will ever be back. I hope he will soo.,

#23: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Thomas PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:30 pm
    —

#24: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: MrWolfForeverLocation: Northeast Ohio, USA PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:54 pm
    —
For me the pure level design is still among the best I've seen in a TC. I can't pick one bad level, and I can't pick a favorite either - they're all great. Even without any truely advanced code changes, this is excellent. A timeless classic, it has never and will never outgrow(n) itself.

#25: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Megabyte PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:43 am
    —
The best tc ever made followed closely by Spear Resurrection and End of Destiny. I don't see any bad maps in this one although BJ Rowan and ack seemed to find flaws in some maps. Pure perfection! Smile

#26: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: MrWolfForeverLocation: Northeast Ohio, USA PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:27 am
    —
I don't compare this to SR or EoD. Those have a lot more actual code changes, and an entirely new set of graphics.

#27: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Thomas PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:02 am
    —
I wouldn't compare it with those either, but in historical terms, it's one of the milestones in modification.

#28: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Megabyte PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:29 am
    —
I don't see anyone comparing them Very Happy Although just because SR and EOD does have more code changes it doesn't make them incomparable to Totengräber Wink

#29: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: MrWolfForeverLocation: Northeast Ohio, USA PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:00 pm
    —
Megabyte wrote:
I don't see anyone comparing them Very Happy Although just because SR and EOD does have more code changes it doesn't make them incomparable to Totengräber Wink

Contradiction - a few posts above you yourself compared it to SR and EoD.

#30: Re: Project: Totengraeber - BJ Rowan Author: Codetech84Location: Rauma - Finland PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:29 pm
    —
MrWolfForever wrote:
Contradiction - a few posts above you yourself compared it to SR and EoD.

All I can see is the order of preference in the post. But every wolf mod in existence is comparable in terms of gameplay, quality of work and finishing. There are more criteria than just coding features.

Though I'm not easily impressed by mods, I would say that this is pretty top notch, in terms of gameplay, mapping and quality. Going back in time, Totengräber was quite impressive in the coding department aswell, I had an early unfinished mod based on it (though it probably will never be released).

Truly a timeless classic! Mr Green

DieHard Wolfers -> U-Rate-It

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 2