TCs - What's left? You decide.
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

DieHard Wolfers -> Addons/Mods/TC's

#1: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:55 pm
    —
Wolf4SDL has opened the door to lots of new features that we couldn't do before. Memory is no longer an obstacle. Now that Mac-enstein 2nd Encounter and WolfDX are out, what's left to do in a Wolf3D mod that we haven't seen in a TC yet?

Please give your input and ideas. Or, if you just prefer a simple Blake4SDL port over seeing another TC, that's fine, too. Cool

#2: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: vermil PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:35 am
    —
A bit of a strange question imo.

Wolf4SDL doesn't technically add any new features to the Wolf3D engine. The lack of a memory limit simply allows you to add more features to your mod than previously allowed.

The day someone comes up with a feature that would single handedly overrun the memory limit of past Wolf3D engines is the day you say "Wolf4SDL has opened the door to lots of new features that we couldn't do before".

#3: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:37 am
    —
Non-leaking ceilings? Smile ) Smile
Ceilings without pixel gap from walls? Smile

Scenery with constant radius damage? Defence state for enemies? Real inventory "heretic-style" HUD? Electric Fences?
Bots? Multiplayer? Coop/Deathmatch? Gamemodes like CTF, Domination and such? Underwater swimming done by quiet teleportation into blue-fogged level spot? Partly-transparent ceilings?

Real bug-free sniper zoom?

Smart/dynamic lighting/shadowing? Auto shadowing (for external areas with "sky ceiling" for textures near walls that cause shadow? (Make a map automatically make in one picked direction on every map to color the floor texture near it in darker shade to reflect shadowing? Or autoshadow for floor texture around sprite?

Better AI?

More configurable menus for mods?

Better and easy external files support including external text files, image files itc?

Multiple-palette support? Or "more than 256 palette" support?

Auto-level generation feature for a mod?

Simply walking-around non-enemy pedestrians?

...I can keep going and going.....

#4: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: BrotherTankLocation: Ontario PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:02 am
    —
Tricob wrote:
Wolf4SDL has opened the door to lots of new features that we couldn't do before. Memory is no longer an obstacle. Now that Mac-enstein 2nd Encounter and WolfDX are out, what's left to do in a Wolf3D mod that we haven't seen in a TC yet?

Please give your input and ideas. Or, if you just prefer a simple Blake4SDL port over seeing another TC, that's fine, too. Cool

Huh?? It almost sounds like you are putting a death sentence on the game again.. Or are you saying that because Mac-enstein and your own WolfDX that the future is dead?? It sort of comes across like that is what you are saying... Or....

Are you just looking for features or ideas?
Is this a general type of idea gathering of where to take the source genre wise?
Or is this ideas for the DX source that you've been working on??

I'm not really quite sure what you want as you can really do anything with the various sources within the limits of the memory available in each of them and each persons own limitations in programming, graphic creation, and imagination... etc....

I see things as the SDL version has accomplished 2 things, with one being Major and the other minor... those being:

I wrote:
Major - It allows the game to live on into the future because the source now runs under the new 32 and 64 bit operating systems without the need of say DosBox or VDMSound... That is what I see as the major accomplishment of the SDL source.... Without this, I could honestly see the eventual death of the game and the community (within whatevers left of my lifetime).... This allows the game to live on and allows future generations of people to continue to play, modify, and study the game that really started the 3d craze so many years ago....

Minor - This is the secondary bonus to the source being ported into SDL is the memory limit, or should I say the possible lack of a limit... (We haven't found what the new limit is... I'm sure there is some limit somewhere - [ie.. the amount of RAM each person has in their machine is different and the amount of free ram is also varied by the OS's, TSR's, and other programs running, in each of those environments]).

I'm not sure how everyone else sees it, but I see it as the SDL source gave the game life again.... It gave it the possibility of future life... It removed the death sentence that was hanging around it's neck. Now the future of the game is whatever anyone really wants it to be... As long as there is interest, the games life isn't limited....

What can be done with it in the future?? I guess that depends on how far any one programmer or group decides to take it. I know people talk about converting the sound portion of the engine to something new... But really I do think that if we go too far, we risk changing the game into another personality that isn't recognizable as the Wolf3d that we know...

But where would I like to see the game go?? What features could be added?? What features should be added?? I guess that really is only limited by the limitations of ones own imagination really... And with those features does it mean that your (and I mean anyones mods or TC's) game will find a place in that future?? I guess that depends on the future tastes of the people yet to come, that will have access to the games created with this new source...

I could go on, but I'll end it here and see how other people view things... But I do have one last thing to say... Thanks, once again Ripper!...

Greg
BrotherTank

#5: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Metal OverlordLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:24 pm
    —
@Tricob: There's no wrong in taking pride in ones work, but you're making it sound like WolfDX is the most fantastic thing that ever happened to the Wolfenstein community.

And I believe there's plenty more things that can be done with the engine, especially since Wolf4SDL came. There's always a lot of people with different ideas. Who knows, maybe someone successfully implements alpha-transparency for Wolf? Very Happy

#6: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:20 pm
    —
BT wrote:
Are you just looking for features or ideas?
Both, though I'm not really looking for ideas relating to WolfDX, nor any of my other upcoming mods. This is just a "for fun" thread. Smile

Quote:
Is this a general type of idea gathering of where to take the source genre wise?
Yes, though I had in mind features that would enhance the gameplay. But sometimes features show up that you think *wouldn't* enhance the gameplay ... until someone approaches it differently, and opens the gameplay to something radically different.

Quote:
I could go on, but I'll end it here and see how other people view things... But I do have one last thing to say... Thanks, once again Ripper!...
I second that thanks, and may I also say - Excellent work, too ... to both of you (BT for his SDL Bunker source). Thumbs Up

DoomJedi - Havoc and WLHack have achieved a lot of this in the Wolf code already. I do have a couple of light-related ideas to put in the WolfDX code, but they won't be seen in the first few levels.

vermil wrote:
The day someone comes up with a feature that would single handedly overrun the memory limit of past Wolf3D engines is the day you say "Wolf4SDL has opened the door to lots of new features that we couldn't do before".
AlumiN beat me to that one, then. Cool

OT -

Metal Overlord wrote:
@Tricob: There's no wrong in taking pride in ones work, but you're making it sound like WolfDX is the most fantastic thing that ever happened to the Wolfenstein community.
No, that's definitely not my intention, and I'm sorry if I came off that way. Sad WolfDX has a bunch of old features and one or two new ones. Many 16-bit TCs do much more than the WolfDX demo does. The full version of WolfDX won't have many more features than the demo, as the game's characters are starting to take the mod in their own direction. Because of this, most of the TC's major changes will be Actor-related. I know that doesn't sound very exciting as far as gameplay, but again - how you approach the mod's features makes all the difference.

Quote:
And I believe there's plenty more things that can be done with the engine, especially since Wolf4SDL came. There's always a lot of people with different ideas. Who knows, maybe someone successfully implements alpha-transparency for Wolf? Very Happy
Alpha-transparency? I don't remember hearing about this one. Could you elaborate, please? Thank you. Smile

#7: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
    —
A turret that you can connect to and shoot with, then disconnect and go you killing way Smile Like in Shadow Warrior Smile

#8: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:06 pm
    —
@Doomjedi - I was actually planning most of those features for Adenovirus. I did have a battle computer with an automap, diagnostic system and 15 slot inventory working, but I fiddled with it and broke it. :p Partly transparent ceilings (I had this working too) can be done if you draw a sky image before you start drawing the walls (which I think is done anyway), and then in the DrawFloor(?) routine, where the line "col=whatever" is (two places), just make it so that it doesn't draw that pixel if col = 0xff. I don't have the exact code on hand, but that was what had to be done.

#9: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:33 pm
    —
AlumiuN wrote:
:p Partly transparent ceilings (I had this working too) can be done if you draw a sky image before you start drawing the walls (which I think is done anyway), and then in the DrawFloor(?) routine, where the line "col=whatever" is (two places), just make it so that it doesn't draw that pixel if col = 0xff. I don't have the exact code on hand, but that was what had to be done.

Partially transparent ceilings is a feature that was implemented on 16bit Sonder (by Tricob), but for Eridu and Warsaw use, not for the Sonder itself...SDLSonder doesn't have this feature yet.

Shadow Warrior Turrets I needed for Eridu SpaceShip levels.

#10: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Metal OverlordLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:41 am
    —
@Tricob: Alpha-transparency is when you use a textures alpha channel (only the more "advanced" formats have this, like PNG, TGA and DDS) to define a texture's transparency level. Alpha channels are greyscale, so black means fully see-through and white is fully visible. All greys in between are different levels of transparency. But I guess it would require the engine to be recoded for 32-bit color first. Very Happy

#11: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:28 pm
    —
Metal Overlord - I think 16-bit color would do the trick, actually; remember that you said it was all grey-scale, so it doesn't require an enormous amount of new colors. Perhaps I'm overlooking the obvious, but other than glass, where else would this feature prove useful?

DoomJedi - Once again, I haven't gotten far on Shadow Warrior yet. Do you have a YouTube link or something that demonstrates this feature? Thanks. Smile

Edit: Also something to add to this thread's list of TC features: Drive around in a tank. Very Happy

#12: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Soldat 555 PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:01 am
    —
Don't forget, Klooni! That mod is the closest thing to a true WolfenDoom experience that you're gonna get!

You know, nevermind about coding stuff, what about themes? I've seen medieval fantasy mods (Hell, I made one), horror style, and the classic WW2 theme but I've not seen the themes listed below.

*Iraq war (whether the current one or Desert Storm)
*Civil war
*Wild West
*MechWarrior style
*WW2 (In the pacific like fighting on Iwo Jima)
*Gang wars
*Vietnam

Thunderstorm Joshua M@d Wolf Waight Thunderstorm

#13: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:12 am
    —
I was considering doing a MechWarrior style one, and, in fact, my Wolfenstein mod was going to have vehicles (although in this case just a bigger suit Very Happy).

#14: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:21 am
    —
Tricob wrote:
Metal Overlord - I think 16-bit color would do the trick, actually; remember that you said it was all grey-scale, so it doesn't require an enormous amount of new colors. Perhaps I'm overlooking the obvious, but other than glass, where else would this feature prove useful?

DoomJedi - Once again, I haven't gotten far on Shadow Warrior yet. Do you have a YouTube link or something that demonstrates this feature? Thanks. Smile

Edit: Also something to add to this thread's list of TC features: Drive around in a tank. Very Happy

"Shadow Warrior" has such turret even in his first level...how far did you get in it, heh ? Smile

Well...it was he FIRST time such feature was used...but since then...every "vehicle" shooter uses it..."Unreal Tournament"s "Onslaught" game mode..."Halo" too uses such....
I don't know why you need a screenshot....the idea is simple.
Weapon that belongs to the level and not the player...you get to a spot where is something like rotational turret or something...you press "use" key, and then youre connected to the turret. You can rotate it left or right using the arrow keys and such...and shoot enemies around.
Then you press" use" key again to disconnect from it on go on in your killing spree Smile

More advanced version of this is "non-stationary" turrent...which is called a "vehicle" Smile Tank is a good example Smile

#15: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:09 am
    —
Soldat 555 wrote:
*Vietnam
Wasn't Trench Warfare set in the Vietnam era? Maybe I'm wrong. Sad

#16: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:15 am
    —
doomjedi wrote:
Well...it was the FIRST time such feature was used...but since then...every "vehicle" shooter uses it..."Unreal Tournament"s "Onslaught" game mode..."Halo" too uses such....
I don't know why you need a screenshot....the idea is simple.
I was wanting to see it in action, actually. I do like the concept, but it'd be self-defeating if I built this feature into the code, developed the levels and gameplay to use the feature well, but then I'm informed my implementation is missing a crucial element that gave the feature the "feel" that it did. Sad

#17: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:32 am
    —
Well....concept-wise it's basically "map-spot"-specific HUD weapon (with strong firepower) so to speak...weapon you can use only on certain spot of the map...with "use" key Smile

It would also be amaizing for Boss levels....and also you'll be able to make Boss level without the need to give the player chainguns too fast on "too early" maps. Boss Area can have such weapons you can use....
Especially cool if they'll be with strong firepower, but "hard to get to" being placed in hard spots or behind the Boss...so you'll have to sneak or find tactic ways to get to this one....
So you try to kill him running around him from turret spot to turret spot...keeping yourself in the move as much as possible.

Shadow Warrior used full-3D turrets and vehicles....
But in Wolf3d the best way to implement it is 8-directional turret sprite (or even rotational), when you get to it and use the USE key - the scenery dissapears, along with you ability to move...only to rotate....and new temporaty HUD weapon turret sprite appear replacing your usual weapon (without ability to change it).
You rotate and shoot...and detach from it with another "use" keypress. Bringing "back" normal scenery sprite (passable) and your original HUD weapon.

Last edited by doomjedi on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

#18: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:59 am
    —
One last question about your "turret" feature, DJ. What do you mean by the scenery disappearing?

DoomJedi wrote:
But in Wolf3d the best way to implement it is 8-directional turret sprite (or even rotational), when you get to it and use the USE key - the scenery dissapears, along with you ability to move...only to rotate....

#19: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:41 pm
    —
I only mean it in case "Turret as HUD weapon" implementaion is selected (which IMO is the best way). In this case if the scenery turret sprite won't dissapear after pressing the "use" key (as additional HUD weapon sprite image will appear) - you'll have 2 turrets..original turret scenery sprite and your new "HUD weapon" turret image. Will look weird.

You don't really have to make the original turret sprite to dissapear...as it's passable anyway....you can replace it with "empty-fully-transparent" spritenum from the VSWAP (using the "interactive tables" rutine), or with some small, low, near-your-feet sprite as it won't be visible to the player anyway as he is too close to the turret to look below his knees level.

The other, less good options is:

1. Not to use HUD weapon image, but 8-directional (or even more) turret sprite that will load appropriate angle image when you use rotate keys...but without you and your view rotating....only the turret. This will limit your turret rotational ability to 180 degrees max or even less...meaning the player's stationary viewfield. (In "my" HUD-weapon solution you get 360 degree ability rotation..as YOU are the one rotating(along with turret HUD image) and not the turret sprite changes it's represantative angle sprite).

#20: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:02 am
    —
I had turrets working as well. I'll see if I can dig up and rework the old 16-bit code. It didn't make the turret disappear, the turret was an actor that simply went into different states and player went into an invisible entity in the exact position of the turret with a weapon type for the turret.

#21: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:05 am
    —
That's an option as well Smile
I still like my HUD-weapon idea better though.

#22: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Metal OverlordLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:38 am
    —
Quote:

Well, it has quite a wide use. Other than textures, such as glass as you mentioned, it would be useful for semi-transparent actor shadows (built into the sprites, of course Very Happy ), for fire effects and other particles that are slightly see-through. Together with floor/ceiling decals (if possible to implement), it could be used to make some nice blood stains and similar, without having to make unique f/c textures for it. Smile

#23: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:15 pm
    —
You've got a point there. Thumbs Up Actually, the routine you describe isn't strikingly different from an Anti-aliasing algorithm I discussed in a different thread (as well as a different section ... Feature Fanatics I think).

#24: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:24 pm
    —
doomjedi wrote:
I only mean it in case "Turret as HUD weapon" implementaion is selected (which IMO is the best way). In this case if the scenery turret sprite won't dissapear after pressing the "use" key (as additional HUD weapon sprite image will appear) - you'll have 2 turrets..original turret scenery sprite and your new "HUD weapon" turret image. Will look weird.
Well DJ, when you and I discussed this in a forum outside of DHW, what I had in mind had the turret shown in place of the weapon animations, as well as a turret "weapon image" in the statusbar. Until you pressed the Use key again, you were looking at things from the turret's point of view. It's probably written a little like the Motorbike code, but I don't intend to use the tutorial as a reference; I already have a method laid out as to how I can program this feature. Smile

#25: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:25 am
    —
Well...I never cared about the statusbar actually...by "HUD weapon" I meant the player weapon animation sprites.

#26: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:59 pm
    —
Yep, the Turret Code does take care of that. Smile

#27: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:10 pm
    —
Cool Smile

It can be usable even in Sonder... As you know - turret we already have there...if you can kill the guard and take over the turret yourself....it can be most cool Smile But this is a conversation not for this forum.

#28: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:30 pm
    —
For stationary Actors, yes - it can work. You basically have the Actor labeled as non-directional, yet have him selectable from four different spots on the Objects List. This marks the square the Actor's on, telling the code to move BJ one square North, South, East, or West when you exit the turret. Smile

Hm ... maybe this thread should be in Feature Fanatics? Neutral

#29: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: RazielLocation: Israhell PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:21 pm
    —
I can think of a feature that will be nice... a trigger that will cause rain or snow or fog.. let's say you enter a room and in the entrance of that room (after the door) there's an invisible trigger that when you step on it will start to snow or rain outside..
can be cool no? and of course you can't trigger it again so you can make another trigger that will stop it.. you know just for the game to have a cool atmospheric mood ;P

#30: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:44 am
    —
Sounds cool Smile
Probably a real mess coding-wise though Smile

#31: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: HavocLocation: Germany PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:02 am
    —
No, it isn't that complicated, DoomJedi. I already did it for the upcoming TGOEL 1.5 Wink

#32: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: RazielLocation: Israhell PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:26 am
    —
mm how bout Traps? yeah. traps! Devil you know, just like those in ROTT and in doom. let's say wall tiles that are beings activated by triggers ;P yep, again those triggers.
Actually triggers are really great for almost anything you can think of. like change of a music before you enter a room with a boss, or ceiling or a wall the crush you..

another thing I can think of are triggers that activate doors but you need to be on top of that trigger or else the door will close. therefor we create pushable items to push above the trigger. this one can be nasty in coding-wise hehe ;P but hell it sounds good Cool

#33: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Soldat 555 PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:04 am
    —
Here's another idea.

Now we've played mods with glass sprites, right? What if someone made a code where the glass wall explodes when you shoot it, then you get hurt and hear like a crunching sound when you walk over the shattered glass? Yeah, freakin' Die Hard style! Very Happy

#34: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: RazielLocation: Israhell PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:29 am
    —
Soldat 555 wrote:
Here's another idea.

Now we've played mods with glass sprites, right? What if someone made a code where the glass wall explodes when you shoot it, then you get hurt and hear like a crunching sound when you walk over the shattered glass? Yeah, freakin' Die Hard style! Very Happy

sounds like a great idea and I'm sure it can be accomplished without any problems, like doing it with the exploding barrel when it explodes and you're too near you get damaged..
about the crunchy sound of broken glass.. I think that will be a bit harder to accomplish Razz

#35: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Soldat 555 PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:31 am
    —
I wouldn't think it'd be too hard. After the glass shatters, you could place a bo_case that plays a sound while damaging the player.

Oooh! I thought of another kind of game theme people could attempt; Virtual. Kinda like what the computer world looks like in the movie, Tron. Wouldn't be that bad of a storyline to do either.

#36: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:12 pm
    —
Soldat 555 wrote:
I've actually thought about doing a feature similar to this one. The glass shatters when you shoot it, but whether or not it leaves harmful glass behind - that's randomized.

The trick is getting the Directional Sprites code working with the Actor Code.

Raziel wrote:
I can think of a feature that will be nice... a trigger that will cause rain or snow or fog.. let's say you enter a room and in the entrance of that room (after the door) there's an invisible trigger that when you step on it will start to snow or rain outside..
can be cool no? and of course you can't trigger it again so you can make another trigger that will stop it.. you know just for the game to have a cool atmospheric mood ;P
For Wolf4SDL, it's not hard at all; IIRC, the "ffUpperRight" variable calls all the shots for weather effects.

And yes, lots of other "triggers" are quite possible. I think my ultimate goal for this is Actor Spawning, but not Actors that are enemies; these would be Actors that add to the atmosphere, such as lightning, flies, rats ... the list goes on. Imagine walking to the entrance of of a threatening castle, and just when the player can see two dead, mutilated bodies, lightning strikes. Now *that's* a good effect. Smile

#37: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:04 pm
    —
Theoretically, you could add an info section to each level (seperate file?) and 8 or so triggers for the level that correspond to a trigger section, Unreal Engine style. That would take a fair bit of work, but otherwise you could just have pre-defined lightning triggers and the like.

#38: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Soldat 555 PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:43 pm
    —
Here's a coding idea I just recently had.

Okay, bear with me on this one guys. What if we had the player easier to be killed to try to make the mod seem more realistic? I'm not talking about dropping the max health to 25% or even make it like the Halo/Call Of Duty health system (if you're shot, you're not gonna magically heal by hiding behind something, you need medical attention!) but make the enemy fire more powerful so you can die in say 2-3 shots on "Can I Play, Daddy?"

#39: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Zombie_PlanLocation: A hole in the wall PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:51 pm
    —
Soldat 555 wrote:
Here's a coding idea I just recently had.

Okay, bear with me on this one guys. What if we had the player easier to be killed to try to make the mod seem more realistic? I'm not talking about dropping the max health to 25% or even make it like the Halo/Call Of Duty health system (if you're shot, you're not gonna magically heal by hiding behind something, you need medical attention!) but make the enemy fire more powerful so you can die in say 2-3 shots on "Can I Play, Daddy?"

that'd only be good with the proper balance. The idea of dying so easily would frustrate me to no end.

#40: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:57 pm
    —
If you were going to scale enemy damage up, you'd need to scale your own damage up as well. There is a reason most games with that sort of system these days have fast health regeneration. Smile

#41: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:43 pm
    —
Soldat - It's more than possible, but with all due respect, I don't think you realize how tedious that would make the gameplay. Sad For easier enemies like the brown guard, sure - that's practical. But imagine having to use three whole medkits about every three rooms on harder levels. Believe me, it'd get really old really fast. There's good reason that so many Wolf mods have upped the 99 maximum for ammunition; it decreases the player having to go back and forth so much. Smile

#42: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: mbender PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:50 am
    —
Another thing along these lines could be to make enemies' fire more deadly but less accurate (in Wolf and Wolf mods to date, they seem to always be bang on target unless they're too far away). I have no idea how you'd program this, though......maybe use a "randomize" function of some sort, in different degrees based on guard seniority?

Just brainstorming Raining Think Thunderstorm

#43: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:41 pm
    —
That part's pretty easy to do, as I remember. Smile

IIRC, Officers and SSs are generally better shots than the other non-bosses, as the code's comments will tell you (I'll have to check on that). IMO, I think the "enemy attack" code is a little *too* dumb at times; I remember just sitting there one time, waiting for the door to be opened by the brown guard, when I could then just sit back and let him kill me. Even though I didn't move at all the whole time, and he was pointed straight at me after opening the door, his first shot didn't even scratch me, even though the sounds indicated he was on the same floorcode as me. His next shot brought my health down from 100% to 28% though, so I guess it sort of evened out. Neutral It's odd ... the hits from the brown guards in SOD seemed to do a lot more damage than those same guards in the 60-level Wolf3D, even though there are no code changes in this part of the routine. It took me a long time to figure out what Id did in their maps that made the guys so deadly in the SOD levels.

#44: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:57 pm
    —
Cunning map making, I think. Razz

#45: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TheTalentedMrLeo PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:13 am
    —
Topic stickied. Smile

Last edited by TheTalentedMrLeo on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

#46: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:49 pm
    —
Stickystickysticky!

Sorry. That had to be done. Very Happy

#47: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: HaasboyLocation: South Africa, Johannesburg PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:06 pm
    —
One of the biggest features, that still needs to be done is shade variation. I know the_fish has done it, but we'd (mostly I) like to see it being released. It would definitely add extra atmosphere to the game..............

#48: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:44 pm
    —
Again, AlumiuN beat me to that one ... Smile

#49: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Thomas PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:57 pm
    —

Last edited by Thomas on Mon May 30, 2011 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

#50: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:03 pm
    —
In SDL, the jukebox object probably is doable. This page might be served as a reference.

#51: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: lilmanjs PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:27 pm
    —
there are a lot of things that we haven't even explored or tried to do with the wolf3d code(SDL or dos). hell the mutant uprising will have a few brand new features not seen elsewhere that have to do with lights. just saying that if you have the right idea new features can come to mind that haven't been done yet.

#52: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Lozer_42Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:52 pm
    —
What was the project that the_fish was working on a while ago? He was messing with advanced lighting of some sort.

#53: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:44 pm
    —
It involved Wolf4GW, IIRC. I haven't seen him in DHWs lately, but I don't know about other forums. Neutral

#54: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:17 pm
    —
Theoreticaly that sort of thing isn't too hard - I was on the brink of putting it in my DOS mod. Who knows, after I've finished EoC I might just look into it for SDL...

#55: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Soldat 555 PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:05 pm
    —
Here's another idea, non coding wise...

There've been a few mods/TCs that've had female heroes but I think it's something that could be done more often.

#56: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:41 pm
    —
I've thought about that myself actually, but I plan to take it to a higher level. The mod would let you select from one of four different types of players, two of which are female. Each player type has their own unique movement speed, accuracy level, dexterity, and specialties (Player Wesley can use a chainsaw, Player Yolanda can re-program Main Frames, etc.).

#57: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Soldat 555 PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:08 pm
    —
Tricob wrote:
I've thought about that myself actually, but I plan to take it to a higher level. The mod would let you select from one of four different types of players, two of which are female. Each player type has their own unique movement speed, accuracy level, dexterity, and specialties (Player Wesley can use a chainsaw, Player Yolanda can re-program Main Frames, etc.).

So... A Character selection for Wolf3d, eh? This is intriguing! But would you make it so each character have their own endarts? Basically, each character would have different versions of the same story. Razz 'Cause that'd be hella awesome too! Very Happy

#58: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:56 pm
    —
Like ROTT Smile Cool Smile

I have so many ideas...like very unique characters, and ability to change characters before each level or even during the level...to bring sniper, chaingun dude, stealth character.... and other specific characters needed for that level or area of the level...
It add to replay value of the level as you can play it with different characters, or even make one help the other...

#59: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:18 am
    —
This could even lead on to Rainbow Six-style squad control (also a-la Body Count). Hm.... Smile

#60: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:22 pm
    —
Soldat 555 wrote:
So... A Character selection for Wolf3d, eh? This is intriguing! But would you make it so each character have their own endarts? Basically, each character would have different versions of the same story. Razz 'Cause that'd be hella awesome too! Very Happy
The endart thing sounds pretty easy, yes. I do need to learn a little more about reprogramming the Main Menu thingies, but when I do, why couldn't I do something like that? Smile

#61: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: RusselLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:33 pm
    —
I think an interesting idea would be using having different floor and ceiling heights, like in Doom. Mapping wise I think it would be rather simple. Plane one would obviously be walls and floor types, and two would be sprites. Three could be floor and ceiling textures, four could be floor and ceiling heights, and five would be a plane for wall textures between floor and ceiling changes.

#62: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Soldat 555 PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:15 pm
    —
doomjedi wrote:
Like ROTT Smile Cool Smile

I have so many ideas...like very unique characters, and ability to change characters before each level or even during the level...to bring sniper, chaingun dude, stealth character.... and other specific characters needed for that level or area of the level...
It add to replay value of the level as you can play it with different characters, or even make one help the other...

That's a pretty cool idea, too. Kinda like a Clive Barker's Jericho or Rainbow Six thing as Alumiun said.

#63: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:44 am
    —
Yes, very cool Smile This willboost wolf3d mods to another leve...also it'll make wolf3d a perfect quest/RPG engine as well.

#64: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:12 pm
    —
I suppose that's possible. We can increase those chances by making the mod open-source, which I plan to do, anyway. Smile

#65: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Lozer_42Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:40 am
    —
Russel wrote:
I think an interesting idea would be using having different floor and ceiling heights, like in Doom. Mapping wise I think it would be rather simple. Plane one would obviously be walls and floor types, and two would be sprites. Three could be floor and ceiling textures, four could be floor and ceiling heights, and five would be a plane for wall textures between floor and ceiling changes.

In theory it sounds rather simple, but I imagine that it would be rather difficult to implament this into the wolfenstein source code. It's an interesting idea for sure and should at leat be atempted by someone. *nudge*

#66: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:57 am
    —
I'm against. We can't break all wolf3d engine limitations without losing it's charm and making it just an ugly version of the Doom engine.
You want floor heights - go to Doom modding. IMO.

#67: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Soldat 555 PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:39 pm
    —
The only reason I'd be against it is the doors would look freakishly big. I hated the Wolf levels in Doom2, it made me think "Okay, this is kinda cool EXCEPT IT SEEMS EVERYONE IS HALF THE HEIGHT THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!"

Sorry, it was just odd. Razz

#68: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:58 pm
    —
OT -

Soldat 555 wrote:
The only reason I'd be against it is the doors would look freakishly big. I hated the Wolf levels in Doom2, it made me think "Okay, this is kinda cool EXCEPT IT SEEMS EVERYONE IS HALF THE HEIGHT THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!"
The SS looked as small as they did because Id ran 64x64-size images where all the graphics was 128x128. Using the Mac versions of the SS probably would've worked better. In fact, Doom-based ports of Wolf3D by users *were* done better, IMO. Smile

#69: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:42 am
    —
Tricob wrote:
OT -

Soldat 555 wrote:
The SS looked as small as they did because Id ran 64x64-size images where all the graphics was 128x128. Using the Mac versions of the SS probably would've worked better. In fact, Doom-based ports of Wolf3D by users *were* done better, IMO. Smile

Yeah, but the player was small compared to the level as well. I guess this was necessary from a scale perspective given that you move so much faster in Doom than you do in Wolfenstein, but still... Smile

#70: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: RingmanLocation: up my nose PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:31 am
    —
This wouldn't be the case if they did the floor and ceiling heights like they do it in ROTT or in ShadowCaster. A shadowcaster engine would be cool.

#71: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: UbermutantLocation: Napier PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:47 pm
    —
Maybe we could have a better, more extreme Chokage

#72: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Thomas PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 am
    —

Last edited by Thomas on Mon May 30, 2011 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total

#73: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: DeanLocation: Australia PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:25 pm
    —
I was talking to Chris on MSN today and I had the chance to ask him about his interests in Wolf. He said that does still have some interest in Wolf and that he still plans to be involved in Wolf at some stage in the future, although he wouldn't elaborate as to what capacity.

He once told me this about Chokage 'I didn't even know about the internet either... was just making it for fun really'. I guess things are different for him now...

EDIT: Chris has expressed some concern over this post and has instead asked me to add in the following;

Chris would like to let everyone know that his favorite pastime is listening the 'The Allsaints', especially 'Lady Marmalade', his favorite food is grilled banana sandwiches (with brown sugar) and he has a strange obsession with tinkerbell.

Thank you for your attention.

#74: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: ChrisLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:49 pm
    —
Dean wrote:
and he has a strange obsession with tinkerbell.

Tinkerbell is capitalized, by the way.

I say we need more The Best Mod In The World, and more Mutant Blobs From Uranus, and a sidescroller version of Wolf3d, and an addon about McDonalds (with cool voice clips like: "I said hold the pickles jackass!"). Yeah yeahhhhhh Neutral

#75: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Thomas PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:08 am
    —

Last edited by Thomas on Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total

#76: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TheTalentedMrLeo PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:34 pm
    —
Hmm...

Characters:
(bosses)
Ronald McDonald - Hans Grosse
Birdie - Gretel Grosse
Mayor McCheese - Fettgesicht
Grimace - Giftmacher
Mac Tonight - Mecha Hitler
Grimace - Dr. Schabbs

(guards)
Fry Kids - S.S.
McNugget Buddies - Ordinary brown guards.
The Happy Meal Gang - Mutants

Setting:
McDonaldland

#77: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Thomas PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:45 am
    —

Last edited by Thomas on Mon May 30, 2011 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total

#78: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TheTalentedMrLeo PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:17 pm
    —
And your mission is to rescue poor Princess Wendy from Castle McDonaldstein?

#79: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Thomas PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:55 am
    —

Last edited by Thomas on Mon May 30, 2011 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total

#80: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:00 am
    —
I like McDonalds Smile

#81: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: MetalorLocation: California PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:41 pm
    —
My #1 food staple behind Goldfish snack crackers!

McDonalds that is! Texas tea!

#82: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TheTalentedMrLeo PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:34 am
    —
Thomas wrote:
Could be... On a serious note, I've never visited McDonald's that much and I'm not too keen on their food or culture. So I know nothing about their toys. Laughing

Shhhh. Don't let Chris here you say that. Very Happy

#83: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Guest PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:51 am
    —
Has a dialogue interface been done for Wolf? Such that you can get a Nazi uniform as disguise, and then talk to guards. This way, the "Spion!" alert of the whitesuits will make more sense Smile

#84: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: thejosh PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:54 am
    —
ioan wrote:
Has a dialogue interface been done for Wolf? Such that you can get a Nazi uniform as disguise, and then talk to guards. This way, the "Spion!" alert of the whitesuits will make more sense Smile

lol, I was just thinking the other day that no one would think of adding interactive dialogue to wolf3d. Guess I was wrong Razz I've done it for my upcoming mod, guess I might as well show it now Cool

here's a demonstration, hes not too happy about being restrained, lol.

I got the idea from WSJ's in-game messages and playing too much NeverWinter Nights, and yes it all works Very Happy
Now to convert all the sprites to the mcdonalds theme and have a fully interactive dollar menu you can order off of and it's mod of the year for sure Very Happy

#85: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: ChrisLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:04 pm
    —
thejosh wrote:
Now to convert all the sprites to the mcdonalds theme and have a fully interactive dollar menu you can order off of and it's mod of the year for sure Very Happy

HELL YES. SOUNDS SPECTACULAR!!! YOU'VE GOT MY VOTE.

#86: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Thomas PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:02 pm
    —

Last edited by Thomas on Mon May 30, 2011 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

#87: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: UbermutantLocation: Napier PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:50 pm
    —
I was browsing the old news archive on the Wolf3D dome and found Mortal Kombat wolf.

A remake of that would be spectacular Very Happy

#88: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:17 pm
    —
I'm more a fan of Street Fighter wolf Smile

#89: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Fragstein3D PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:10 pm
    —
i think breaking out of the FPS view and having a 3rd person view would be radical! like an overhead view,
and thing is because the camera will not be so close to any of the graphics on screen, everything will look much nicer and less pixelated!

the walls and stuff would be 3D but other than that its awesome.

or theres allways Behind the character TPS but i think unless the camera can be over head so that 'BJ' is not in the way, it would not work.

#90: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: UbermutantLocation: Napier PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:46 pm
    —
I just finished playing Castle Totenkoph SDL and I got the idea of playing as a Mutant against the allies or rebelling against the Nazis

#91: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: WSJ PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:43 pm
    —
Ubermutant wrote:
I just finished playing Castle Totenkoph SDL and I got the idea of playing as a Mutant against the allies or rebelling against the Nazis

Interesting. That's kind of like the premise for the game Ubersoldier. If the player's a mutant, then maybe there could be a new weapon system which involved triple-wielding or even quadruple-wielding. Smile

#92: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: wolfie3dfanLocation: T or C PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:45 pm
    —
Know what's left?.... converting all of the best maps to SDL. Starting with lets say, wolfendoom...ha ha ha
At least one SDL conversion a month would be excellent.

Thank you to those who are keeping wolfenstein3d alive after the death of DOS!

#93: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:57 pm
    —
I've actually run Wolf4SDL versions of many popular Wolf3D mods. Fact is, aside from Par Time changes, floor/ceiling colors, and episode names (which is truly beginner's work), many Wolf3D mods require no code changes at all. Smile

#94: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: bitshifterLocation: Massachusetts PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:51 pm
    —
wolfie3dfan wrote:
Thank you to those who are keeping wolfenstein3d alive after the death of DOS!

DOS will never die.
*Pets his 80286 and smiles*

#95: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: gerolfLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:02 pm
    —
i think all mods should be converted to SDL.

#96: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Thomas PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:48 pm
    —

Last edited by Thomas on Mon May 30, 2011 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

#97: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:13 pm
    —
I agree Smile

#98: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: DeanLocation: Australia PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:35 pm
    —
I also agree with the creator maps, I always hated those and thought that people releasing them was an absolute cop out.

Keep Thomas' old mods though! Wink

#99: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: gerolfLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:47 pm
    —
who would do that? thats messed up.

#100: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: UbermutantLocation: Napier PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
    —
How about a sequel to AReyeP's WolfDoom? Sure we may be a year late (according to WolfDoom's ending).. but a full SDL sequel of WolfDoom, I believe, would be spectacular.

#101: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: gerolfLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:15 pm
    —

Last edited by gerolf on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

#102: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Majik MonkeeLocation: Missouri PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:22 pm
    —
There are no limits to what can be done with Wolf 3D, even without coding changes. I myself have had almost twice as many ideas as I've been able to implement, and all of the ones I haven't completed still have not been done in exactly the way I'd planned. Every person's vision is unique, and as long as they're not outright ripping off an idea, each vision is unique in it's own way. I'll play a dozen mods all focused on finding and eliminating Hitler for example if each person makes their mod their own, I don't care as much about code changes as I do unique story and gameplay. I can't speak from a coding aspect, since I don't code, but I'm here to say that as far as straight up modding is concerned, there are no limits to what can still be done, even with the original Wolfenstein engine. Very Happy

#103: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: UbermutantLocation: Napier PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:12 pm
    —
Perhaps someone could continue the making of Raw Meat where Ryn Steinbruner left off?

#104: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Thomas PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:15 am
    —
The demo of that one was awful, just saying. But other screenshots from it looked all right. Hey, at least he got the Doom guy integrated into the classic status bar, hats off to that.

#105: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: UbermutantLocation: Napier PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:47 am
    —
What we Really should do is port all of Laz Rojas's mods to PC.
I've always wanted to play those. I have all the .sit files that apparently have his "Scenarios" inside them.

#106: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Thomas PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:00 am
    —
Oh, that would be so sweet! I've been drooling about all those MAC mods since day one. But I've never played them. I did play some of his WolfenDOOM mods though... Wonderful stuff!

#107: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: UbermutantLocation: Napier PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:20 am
    —
I remember when I was younger, I was so disappointed I couldnt play Hitler's Graveyard or Munchkinstein on my old Windows 98

#108: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Thomas PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:26 am
    —
Haha, me too! And I had no idea what .sit or MAC or anything meant. I was just sulking about it and played downloads (with all files only). Wasn't until late 2004 or something (started playing mods in July 2003) I knew how to download games that only had map files, or map and VGA files etc.

#109: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: UbermutantLocation: Napier PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:40 am
    —
I think this may have happened when I was around about 9 or 10, possibly even 7 or 8.. what happened was one of two things. Either I tried opening one of Laz's mac files and inevitably failed, or I downloaded a Wolfenstein mod that required one or more files from the full Registered game.. Either way, I E-Mailed Mr. Lowe and asked him if there were any 'addons' that you could just 'Download & Play'.

I wonder if Mr. Lowe still has that email, I wouldnt mind seeing it

Also, If any of the moderators wouldnt mind removing my title of Spammer, I would greatly appreciate it, I believe I was younger and less mature when I acquired it
Thank you kindly

#110: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:54 pm
    —
Ubermutant wrote:
What we Really should do is port all of Laz Rojas's mods to PC.
I've always wanted to play those. I have all the .sit files that apparently have his "Scenarios" inside them.
There's at least one port I know about.

#111: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: UbermutantLocation: Napier PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:04 pm
    —
Halten Sie! is another

#112: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: UbermutantLocation: Napier PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:50 pm
    —
Maybe Laz's mods could be ported to Mac-enstein SDL

#113: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Thomas PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:41 am
    —
That would be really sweet. I really need to play the original MAC though. All the guard sounds I've used over the years... I'm getting the feeling that they come from that, the 3DO version (whatever that is) and the whatitscalled... Acorn? Amiga? I don't know. BJ Rowan's sounds, the "Achtung!" you hear in e.g. Panzerschiff and all that.

#114: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:32 pm
    —
From what I understand, the SNES port came first, then the Mac version. 3DO and Jaguar ports came after that. There was an Acorn version released some time back, but I don't have many details on it. But yes - if the maps can be exported, Mac-enstein is the most practical way to bring it to SDL. Good suggestion, Thomas. Smile

#115: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: UbermutantLocation: Napier PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:18 pm
    —
Or, we could kick it up a notch and use ECWolf, if we wanted to

#116: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Blzut3 PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:15 am
    —
Keep in mind that ECWolf does plan to support Mac Wolf (and any vanilla mods for it hopefully) in the relatively near future. So if anyone has any information on extracting the data from the binary or whatever, please send it my way (PM or email). (Same goes to any programmers that want to help with the project.)

Of course if you really want to go the route of porting it to existing PC formats, I believe ECWolf should have all the features you need short of status bar layout changes.

#117: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:28 pm
    —
Ubermutant wrote:
Personally, I found ECWolf to be too high-maintenence for simple mod releases. For development purposes, it does a lot, but next to simple Wolf4SDL releases, you have to do far too much just to get it running. Sad

#118: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Executor PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:18 pm
    —
I've never had to do anything to "get it running"; you install it and it goes. Don't blame him for the fact that ChaosEdit corrupted your VGAGRAPH. In Doom modding there is no reason to do anything to doom2.wad and in ECWolf modding there is no reason to do anything to .wl6 files.

For simple mod releases it works extremely well because your mod is in one file and doesn't overwrite the game data. You can have infinite mods in one folder, run multiple mods simultaneously, etc.

#119: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: ThunderEnemaLocation: Washington PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:09 am
    —
Like I've said... I plan on using ECWolf when it has had more time to mature.

@Executor: A bit off topic, but are you guys working on a Wolfenstein level-editor that's specifically designed for ECWolf?

#120: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Blzut3 PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:31 am
    —
ThunderEnema wrote:
@Executor: A bit off topic, but are you guys working on a Wolfenstein level-editor that's specifically designed for ECWolf?

One thing I'm considering releasing is a GAMEMAPS to WAD dumper, but otherwise there's nothing planned from us. I don't have time to work on an editor and the source port at the same time and Executor doesn't code. I know WDC 2 plans to support ECWolf's native map format though.

That said, if someone made a Linux compatible, open source editor I would probably contribute to it from time to time.

#121: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:07 pm
    —
Executor wrote:
I've never had to do anything to "get it running"; you install it and it goes. Don't blame him for the fact that ChaosEdit corrupted your VGAGRAPH. In Doom modding there is no reason to do anything to doom2.wad and in ECWolf modding there is no reason to do anything to .wl6 files.
Uh, when in my post did I mention VGAGRAPHs? My beef is the installation process. With a Wolf4SDL mod, all you do is extract the files and then run the EXE. With ECWolf, it's far more complicated, and not very user-friendly.

#122: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: UbermutantLocation: Napier PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:16 pm
    —
Tricob wrote:
My beef is the installation process. With a Wolf4SDL mod, all you do is extract the files and then run the EXE. With ECWolf, it's far more complicated, and not very user-friendly.

Well, the installation process only needs to be done once, right? Once you do it you dont need to do it again.

Or, (dont think I'm questioning your intelligence by asking this), Did you perhaps extract the files from the pk3 file? You dont need to do that, all thats required is you drag the pk3 file onto the ECWolf exe and it plays.

#123: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Executor PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:57 pm
    —
And it's not complicated at all. You unzip ECWolf to a directory, you copy the various stock game data files (.wl6, .wl1, .sod, .sdm) that you want to the directory, and then run, it even gives you a simple option menu to pick which game to run. For a mod, you unzip the pk3 or wad to the directory and either drag and drop the file on top of the executable or run "ecwolf [filename]". You're just spreading FUD with no actual truth behind it.

#124: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Soldat 555 PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:46 am
    —
Executor wrote:
For a mod, you unzip the pk3 or wad to the directory and either drag and drop the file on top of the executable or run "ecwolf [filename]".
Sounds like ZDoom, I've had various issues with getting mods to work that port as mods won't appear in the game/wad list and when I drag the wad over the exe it only runs Doom.wad.

Comparing that to SDL where you just unzip the zip/rar to whatever directory/folder you want DOES make ECWolf sound a bit more complicated. That's one of the many reasons I do prefer Wolf mods over Doom mods, unless you know how to install the mod properly it won't play... Or it will but with errors.

I'm not knocking ECWolf or it's capabilities, I merely see how that can be too much to do for some people like me where we prefer unzip the files, edit the files we know to edit, and run the exe.

#125: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Blzut3 PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:00 am
    —
If the drag and drop is confusing then use the command line as Executor stated. You still have to tell ECWolf/ZDoom what base game to load, which is why the "iwad" dialog still appears. If you look at the terminal it should tell you if you successfully loaded a mod since it will say "adding <filename>, <X> lumps". If there was a typo or something it will print an error saying it could not be opened.

#126: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Executor PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:50 am
    —
Soldat 555 wrote:
Executor wrote:
For a mod, you unzip the pk3 or wad to the directory and either drag and drop the file on top of the executable or run "ecwolf [filename]".
Sounds like ZDoom, I've had various issues with getting mods to work that port as mods won't appear in the game/wad list and when I drag the wad over the exe it only runs Doom.wad.

Comparing that to SDL where you just unzip the zip/rar to whatever directory/folder you want DOES make ECWolf sound a bit more complicated. That's one of the many reasons I do prefer Wolf mods over Doom mods, unless you know how to install the mod properly it won't play... Or it will but with errors.

I'm not knocking ECWolf or it's capabilities, I merely see how that can be too much to do for some people like me where we prefer unzip the files, edit the files we know to edit, and run the exe.

You're making up a challenge that doesn't exist. Installing Doom mods is really easy (unless they're old vanilla wads from 1995 that use DeusF anyway, but nobody makes those anymore). Besides, if you have 200 mods (for comparison, I have 224 wads and 92 pk3s in my ZDoom folder) in your ECWolf folder, how is ECWolf supposed to know which one you want to run without you telling it?

#127: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:53 pm
    —
Executor wrote:
You're making up a challenge that doesn't exist. Installing Doom mods is really easy (unless they're old vanilla wads from 1995 that use DeusF anyway, but nobody makes those anymore). Besides, if you have 200 mods (for comparison, I have 224 wads and 92 pk3s in my ZDoom folder) in your ECWolf folder, how is ECWolf supposed to know which one you want to run without you telling it?
Installing Doom mods is easy *if* you know what you're doing, yes. But many people don't, and IMO, it's much more heavy-handed than it needs to be.

As to how ECWolf will know which mod to use, how about the mod located where you're running the EXE? Like in Wolf4SDL? To me, this makes perfect sense. I'm confused as to why you're against devising the EXE this way. Confused

#128: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: gerolfLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:59 pm
    —
TCs - What's left? You decide in 3...2..1.

I think the ability to destroy walls, doors, objects, etc. should be a feature in a future TC.

Or perphaps enemies that have AI that isn't just "stand, run, walk, patrol, shoot, get hit, die"
Like... their guns jamming, shooting themselves, taunting, etc. There's never been enough interactivity of those sorts with Wolfenstein.

#129: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Soldat 555 PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:27 pm
    —
Executor wrote:
Can't say about ECWolf but I tried getting both QuakeDoom mods to work and only succeeded on PSP. I tried Command Prompt, I tried Run from the Start menu, neither appear in the "select an IWAD to use" menu, I tried drag onto the exe file and if it doesn't crash on me, it just runs Doom II. You obviously didn't understand what I mean by simple so I'm gonna break it down...

WOLF4SDL
Step 1: Unzip into new folder
Step 2: Double click the exe/application file
Step 3: Navigate menu, play game

This is a method pretty much everyone who uses Windows and downloads games know, "Unzip, run application/executable file".

ECWOLF (At least how you guys described the steps)
Step 1: Install ECWolf
Step 2: Unzip ECWolf wad/wad like file
Step 3: Either A: drag wad file onto ECWolf exe file, B: Use Run from start menu and type C:\WhereverECWolfIsInstalled\ECwolf.exe "Mod.wad" or C: Use Command Prompt, type cd\WhereverECWolfIsInstalled\ ENTER ecwolf.exe "mod.wad" ENTER
Step 4: Navigate menu, play game

This method, which only has one more step CAN be confusing if people don't read a step by step in a ReadMe file or asks for help online. I only know Command Prompt and Run solely because I grew up typing everything out in Dos.

Why you're so defensive towards Tricob and I, I don't know or understand. We simply stated "We've had/seen trouble with ECWolf/ZDoom. It's easier to use SDL in our opinions." And just like him, I'm a bit confused why you brought up ChaosEdit messing up ECWolf VGAGraph files but if it does that makes me prefer SDL even more as I prefer using ChaosEdit way more than WDC (Which I only use to identify music).

#130: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Executor PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:07 pm
    —
Because he complained about ECWolf not working during the initial release and it was because he used altered VGAGRAPH files that ChaosEdit had corrupted and written garbage to.

#131: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Soldat 555 PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:49 pm
    —
Only mention I found by him on ECWolf in this topic:
Tricob wrote:
Ubermutant wrote:
Personally, I found ECWolf to be too high-maintenence for simple mod releases. For development purposes, it does a lot, but next to simple Wolf4SDL releases, you have to do far too much just to get it running. Sad

So he complained in another topic and he didn't know ChaosEdit was the culprit. Whoopity-Doo! This only further suggests ECWolf's more complex than Wolf4SDL as it's not as compatible with editors. He prefers Wolf4SDL, you prefer ECWolf, you shouldn't get pissy and defensive that he doesn't like the same toys you like. It's that simple. Razz

#132: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Blzut3 PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:22 pm
    —
Tricob wrote:
As to how ECWolf will know which mod to use, how about the mod located where you're running the EXE? Like in Wolf4SDL? To me, this makes perfect sense. I'm confused as to why you're against devising the EXE this way. Confused

The name of that file is? Remember that ECWolf mods are a single file with a descriptive name instead of multiple files following a set naming convention (and by necessity do not include an exe). Furthermore, instead of being forced to be TCs, they can build upon resources in the original data (legally). Unlike Wolf4SDL forks, ECWolf interprets mods at run time so you need to tell it what you want to play. Hopefully some GUI launchers will come out in the future to assist with this though.

I wonder if shipping mods with batch files would help?
Soldat 555 wrote:
neither appear in the "select an IWAD to use" menu, I tried drag onto the exe file and if it doesn't crash on me, it just runs Doom II.

I'm kind of confused here actually. When you drag and drop, then select Doom 2 in the IWAD menu (An IWAD is the base game data which is loaded before the mod itself since the mod build upon it) you say you have trouble getting the mod to load? (Same goes for ECWolf only with Wolf3D instead of Doom 2.) In the command line you can use -iwad doom2.wad (or in ECWolf's case --data wl6) to skip this step if you really want to. If this isn't working then it's probably a read error which the respective engines should print something like "Can not stat <filename>" in the console.
Soldat 555 wrote:
So he complained in another topic and he didn't know ChaosEdit was the culprit. Whoopity-Doo! This only further suggests ECWolf's more complex than Wolf4SDL as it's not as compatible with editors. He prefers Wolf4SDL, you prefer ECWolf, you shouldn't get pissy and defensive that he doesn't like the same toys you like. It's that simple. Razz

ECWolf is compatible with editors, although ChaosEdit has a tendency to produce incorrect data. ECWolf is a generic engine and relies on working header information in order to find data within the file, the Wolf3D source does not. You are, however, strongly recommended not to use the Wolf3D wl6 file formats with ECWolf as they are too limited to use the engine to it's full potential. For everything but maps, Slade 3 is an adequate tool which I do believe is quite easy to use. Obviously if you're not familiar with Doom editing there may be a slight learning curve here. (As a side note, ECWolf 1.1 will be a little more tolerant of invalid data, but it is ultimately only able to make guesses when correcting errors.)

Please excuse Executor's over reactions. He hasn't really done major project releases like this one before. It is important for us to do whatever we can to persuade people to start using ECWolf, and it is easy to over react to negative comments. Especially ones which seem to stem from user error (use of tampered data files). I understand that major shifts like these take time, so while I encourage you to start working with ECWolf as soon as possible, if it lacks a feature you need then so be it. I would appreciate it if these features are brought to my attention through the issue tracker though.

#133: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Executor PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:30 pm
    —
ECWolf can't "run the mod located where you're running the exe", because a potentially infinite number of mods may be located there. As Blzut3 said, each mod is one file, so you can have tons and tons of mods in one folder. Instead of having an installation for each mod, you have one installation and all your ECWolf mods go in the same place. When you're using self-contained file formats like .wad and .pk3, having one installation per mod is a gigantic waste.

#134: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: BrotherTankLocation: Ontario PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:08 pm
    —
Hey Guys...

[Moderator Hat Sortof On]

Lets drop the ECwolf crap and move it to it's original or own thread.

[Moderator Hat Off]

This subject is about the future of Wolf3d and the games/TC's that it spawns. So lets take this thread back to where it belongs... What's left - What can you do - What would you like to do - Where to take = Wolf3d/SOD Mods and TC's????

Greg
BrotherTank

#135: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: UbermutantLocation: Napier PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:53 pm
    —
Thanks BT

What if the Nazis from the future invaded the past, there'd be a medieval type setting but with cleverly disguised futuristic type stuff in it.

#136: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:01 am
    —
Interesting idea.

Thought to do this for ancient egypt theme/setting in the past - Nazis wanting to get the Spear from Egyptians pharaohs....

#137: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Thomas PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:03 am
    —
That sounds like a swell idea! However, I'm afraid it's going to take a lot of balls to make such a game and make it solid. Team Raycast, land ho!

#138: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:20 am
    —
Ubermutant wrote:
What if the Nazis from the future invaded the past, there'd be a medieval type setting but with cleverly disguised futuristic type stuff in it.
Hm ... I suspect it'd share too many similarities to Blake Stone, and be unfairly compared to it, even if the similarities are unintentional. Sad

A modification of your idea could probably work, though ... similar to a mod idea I came up with years ago. Suppose there was a group of Nazis who disagreed with Hitler's methods, and developed their own society hidden underground. Being unbound by German law, their technology was allowed to reach heights never seen in Germany before. This was my building block for the mod "Operation: Kill BJ!", but it sort of transformed itself into "Wolfenstein 3-D: The Deluxe Edition", a.k.a. WolfDX. I suppose it still has a chance to make its way into the full version of WolfDX. Gotta get back to programming again in SDL some more. Smile

#139: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Thomas PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:01 am
    —
I also think it's about time that we get a communist-themed mod. Take it this way: Patton and Eisenhower start seeing eye to eye, somehow the reports on war crimes, atrocities etc. done by the communists are revealed, and it results in full-scale war between GB/US and the USSR.

#140: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: gerolfLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:45 am
    —
gerolf wrote:
I think the ability to destroy walls, doors, objects, etc. should be a feature in a future TC.

Or perhaps enemies that have AI that isn't just "stand, run, walk, patrol, shoot, get hit, die"
Like... their guns jamming, shooting themselves, taunting, etc. There's never been enough interactivity of those sorts with Wolfenstein.

Reposting since it was washed away...

Oh, the Communist idea.. Sounds good, maybe a Cold War themed one, with all the top secret operations that went on, I'm sure someone could make something up Smile It's just, the past few times I've seen someone make a game with Wolf where you fight Russians, they usually just make them wear red uniforms Razz

Also about the Nazis time traveling... It depends on where they time travel that determines how good it is. I think it'd be a pretty cool idea if they time traveled to the American Civil War and aided the Confederates, and you must travel back in time, or history will forever be changed. Go back to the French Revolution thing against GB (didn't study this one very much), and have it where they are aiding France, but then will conquer them once it's over.. And then something about Russia's past. So they're trying to weaken the allies.

#141: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:52 am
    —
Thomas wrote:
That sounds like a swell idea! However, I'm afraid it's going to take a lot of balls to make such a game and make it solid. Team Raycast, land ho!

We currently have our hands full for quite some time...even more projects than you're aware of...in different stages of development. Coding-wise LinuxWolf is fully focusing currently on "Batman - No Man's Land"...mapping-wise we have some other focuses Wink

I've started preparing art for such project in the past, if someone is serious - can share. Some scenery and textures, parallaxed sky, a sand-scorpion enemy, tons of ripped art from "PowerSlave" (including some recoloring and editing)...if someone is serious and capable - can always PM me Smile
Egypt theme is inspiring and undermodded. With such great art we have from "PowerSlave" - it's just a shame

#142: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:57 am
    —
Yes, it's about time for some serious Russian-themed mod.
If people need translations to russian for signs and such - just PM me Smile
Can even recored sounds (though non-proffecionally, from comp's mike)

I've released some related art in the past BTW.

#143: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Soldat 555 PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:52 pm
    —
Ha! Do you guys know what would be an interesting Wolf3d mod? Pinball! Very Happy lol

Think about it, arrow keys control flippers, POV could be from the ball and would automatically turn when jumping/falling. Bumpers and stuff could be Wolf3d based like knocking down Nazi flags, hitting Guards and officers, after say 1,000,000 points a boss could rise from the table and you have to hit them like 50 times to get more points or move onto the next table.

I think it'd be a trippy idea. Smile

#144: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:00 pm
    —
I don't like ideas that move 2D to 3D without adding any of 3D-advantages to it...why to do it then? Same to 3D PacMan, Sokoban, BomberMan...and other games based heavily on top/over-view perspective.

#145: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: linuxwolf PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:44 pm
    —
Someone should make a 2D Wolf3D themed pinball game then. It could be a lot of fun to play on a handheld phone or tablet.

#146: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Soldat 555 PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:50 am
    —
doomjedi wrote:
I don't like ideas that move 2D to 3D without adding any of 3D-advantages to it...why to do it then? Same to 3D PacMan, Sokoban, BomberMan...and other games based heavily on top/over-view perspective.
Actually I'd think Pac Man 3D could be awesome. Each level could get progressively more challenging. Smile

#147: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:18 pm
    —
Soldat 555 wrote:
doomjedi wrote:
Actually I'd think Pac Man 3D could be awesome. Each level could get progressively more challenging. Smile
I admit I've taken a partial shot at this. I even put together the first maze for the game. But the trick is getting the left/right exit to work and display properly. I might just chicken out in the end and have the "edges" of it artificially fade into black.

#148: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Soldat 555 PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:20 am
    —
Another idea I thought would be cool is a middle-eastern themed mod. I know RonWolf's been working on some cool Arfika Corps themed levels but I mean more like Lawrence Of Arabia or 6 Day War kinda mod. Beer

#149: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: UbermutantLocation: Napier PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:17 am
    —
How about a TC based on Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (either the sega game or the movie)

#150: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:30 am
    —
Thanks for the feedback! Smile It's been a long time since I'd seen the movie, but the last time I did, I really enjoyed it. As for the game, I much prefer the arcade version myself; the Sega version just had too many things cut out of it, and it just didn't play as well for me. It could be more personal taste than anything else; I grew up playing more arcade games than I did console games (or computer games, for that matter), and I have a real soft spot for releases with an arcade "feel" to them.

#151: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: UbermutantLocation: Napier PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:01 pm
    —
What if we found a long lost unfinished TC and finished it?

Something like Raw Meat?

#152: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:19 pm
    —
Re: Raw Meat. This mod uses graphics ripped from Alien Wolf. If you recall, Colonel Bill had requested not for the graphics in that mod to be used elsewhere. In Raw Meat, not only were these images used, but no credit was given as to who did the graphics in the first place.

My apologies, but I'd strongly discourage anyone from finishing up this project personally.

#153: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: gerolfLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:54 am
    —
I think a Noir styled mod would be cool, where you play as a detective or vigilante, fighting thugs, Nazi insurgents, the occult, etc. A lot of different handgun weapons, a shotgun, a tommy gun, etc.

#154: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:30 am
    —
That's actually not a bad suggestion. People have commented before about how well grey-scaled graphics come out in Wolf3D, but I'm sure it could be taken farther with a better palette. It'd also improve the way fog effects and things like that come out - if one chooses to enable them in the mod.

Add to that, many Film Noir entries are Public Domain, so there's no need to worry about copyright or licensing issues if you use the right sources.

#155: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: fraggeur PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:44 pm
    —
I don't know if it is what the public wants but I am developping a pirate themed mod

#156: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: gerolfLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:45 pm
    —
That sounds interesting to me!

#157: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:26 am
    —
Doom had nice pirate mod...very nice one. Can't wait to see pirate mod on Wolf3D.

#158: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Spiritblade-incLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:29 am
    —
With the exception of a couple of excellent mods that have surfaced over the past couple years, I think the Wolfenstein 3D/Spear of Destiny mod scene has run its course over the past 20+ years. Majority of the talent that defined what it meant to mod Wolf/Spear has disappeared or is hardly around - Areyep, MCS, WLHack, Architect, Chris, Majik Monkee, BJ Rowan, Florian Stohr, Chaos, etc.

I applaud the efforts of DoomJedi, Team Raycast, Tristan (Hessler), Blzut3 and a few others for doing what they can with what is left of today's scene.

There really isn't much left.

Though, perhaps with Tormentor's Blade of Agony, we'll see a bit of a revival with wolf mods. If not here, maybe within the doom community.

#159: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: ronwolf1705 PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:02 pm
    —
gerolf wrote:
I think a Noir styled mod would be cool, where you play as a detective or vigilante, fighting thugs, Nazi insurgents, the occult, etc. A lot of different handgun weapons, a shotgun, a tommy gun, etc.

I don't know if it counts as a Noir styled mod, but I do remember a mod in development called 'Cosa Nostra', which was in black and white and (I believe) was about a detective taking on the Italian maffia. Don't know if it ever got released, but I do have a version of it somewhere.

#160: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: DeanLocation: Australia PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:44 pm
    —
Spiritblade-inc wrote:
With the exception of a couple of excellent mods that have surfaced over the past couple years, I think the Wolfenstein 3D/Spear of Destiny mod scene has run its course over the past 20+ years. Majority of the talent that defined what it meant to mod Wolf/Spear has disappeared or is hardly around - Areyep, MCS, WLHack, Architect, Chris, Majik Monkee, BJ Rowan, Florian Stohr, Chaos, etc.

Architect? Hah! Never heard anyone talk more talk and deliver absolutely nothing than that guy! Doubt he contributed much of anything to anything to be honest...

#161: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Thomas PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:18 am
    —
Yeah, there was always something screwy about that guy... Though some of the screenies looked rather ace if I recall correctly...

#162: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:01 am
    —
Arch did submit some rather good art sets for Wolf3D, and - IIRC - they're found in the DHWs gallery (under the name Lord Raffles). I never had much bad to say about the guy myself; I'm actually kind of sad he didn't submit more to the Wolf3D community.

After he disappeared from the Wolf3D scene for a while, someone broke into his account and posted something stupid involving a nude Hitler. I haven't heard anything from Arch after his disappearance. My guess is that he's around someplace under a different username - probably someplace not involving Wolf3D.

#163: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Thomas PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:22 am
    —
Lord Raffles/Arclese/Architect... Same person? And where did the Arch thing come from, Tricob? You know him personally? Razz

#164: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Tris PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:13 pm
    —

Well, I for one would certainly love a World War One themed mod (yes, I am aware of Unsung). I've had this idea for an alternative history timeline for some time, but never got around to working on it. Basically, the idea was that you were a guerrilla fighter of sorts on the British side, battling against the triumphant Germans / Austrians who are seeming to win the First World War in 1917 since the Americans had remained neutral. Following swift victory in the East, the German Reich and Austria-Hungary were preparing a victory parade in the city where it had all begun in 1914 with the assassination of Franz Ferdinand (heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary), Sarajevo (now renamed "Ferdinandstadt" after all the Slavic peoples had been deported). Your mission would be to infiltrate a castle overseeing the city of Sarajevo to steal some documents that would successfully tip the balance toward American involvement in the war and to take out some military prominence in the process.

http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/World_War_I_%28Central_Victory%29 <-- basic background story
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bijela_Tabija <-- the castle in question

#165: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:39 pm
    —
OT -

Thomas wrote:
Lord Raffles/Arclese/Architect... Same person? And where did the Arch thing come from, Tricob? You know him personally? Razz
Good point; I meant "Architect" when I said "Arch". Acrlese showed up long before before Architect did, and I seriously doubt they're the same person. And I'm almost positive I'm spelling Arclese's name wrong. Sad

I do remember Architect saying in his first post that he was formerly Lord Raffles, but maybe I just read the post wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Embarassed

#166: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: DeanLocation: Australia PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:15 am
    —
I seem to recall that too Tricob. From memory he was another Aussie and I recall some sort of macho 'my d*ck is bigger than yours' competition between him and the guy doing Helvete. Neither ended up producing much though from memory.

I used a set of walls he made in EFCH, they were quite well made.

#167: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Thomas PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:19 am
    —
I also recall a stained glass texture with an eagle that looked like it could have appeared in the original game. But as with so many other things, talent often comes with a dark side to one's personality - in some cases.

#168: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: UbermutantLocation: Napier PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:33 pm
    —
Do we have the source codes to Corridor 7 and Operation Body Count? Can we make Source ports?

If not, are we going to make source ports of the Catacombs 3D series? I'm pretty sure we have those source codes

#169: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Soldat 555 PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:26 am
    —
Theme-wise, there's a lot that still be done. Western themed, not really done yet. WW1 themed, Unsung is great but they're too few in number (kudos to Tris for suggesting that). We could use a RoboCop or Judge Dredd themed mod. Now those would be some awesome fan mods to play... Very Happy

#170: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Ginyu PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:57 pm
    —
Why not do a walking dead theme mod ?

#171: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: ronwolf1705 PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:32 pm
    —
Ginyu wrote:

In the past, I considered doing a survival mod. Just have big city-themed 128x128 (or bigger) maps, and then make it so the player has to survive with little to their disposal. They'd have no guns (or a gun and 2 bullets, or whatever), but they could us every object in the environment in some way against the zombie threat. Tables to block doors, chairs to smash over their heads, knives grabbed from tables... etc, you name it. The zombies would be the slow kind. Just an idea I had many years ago, which most likely won't ever be created.

I'm sure many people will play a Walking Dead mod, given the popularity of that show.

#172: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:01 pm
    —
ronwolf1705 wrote:
Ginyu wrote:
In the past, I considered doing a survival mod. Just have big city-themed 128x128 (or bigger) maps, and then make it so the player has to survive with little to their disposal. They'd have no guns (or a gun and 2 bullets, or whatever), but they could us every object in the environment in some way against the zombie threat. Tables to block doors, chairs to smash over their heads, knives grabbed from tables... etc, you name it. The zombies would be the slow kind. Just an idea I had many years ago, which most likely won't ever be created.
I like that idea a lot. Thumbs Up

#173: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Ginyu PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:03 am
    —
Thanks, this could be an ideal way to test Wolfenstein Rpgmaker also.
After all, it would make more sense to be able to play with different characters and have different scenes given who survived and all. Smile

#174: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Executor PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:01 pm
    —
One day I'm probably going to do a mod using modified Lost Episodes sprites and textures to do something based on Nazis unearthing and rebuilding Atlantis to use its lost technologies (good Wolfenstein mod plots are like bad History Channel shows). The Lost Episodes graphics always made me think of some sort of aquatic theme, which is why I called my DHWLE map "Undersea Base".

#175: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Ginyu PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:44 am
    —
That makes me think about "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis", at the end, nazis want to use some kind of machine to turn into super soldiers.
I imagine this would work really well with Wolfenstein. Smile

#176: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: WLHackLocation: Loppi - Finland PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:16 am
    —
I am not sure whether this was mentioned here, but I would like to see more horror mods in the making...
Aside from Atina's Witching hour, I don't think there has been that many mods that could be counted into that category.

#177: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: Aryan_Wolf3D PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:26 am
    —
@WLHack

Good to see you're still alive! Laughing

And I agree, more horror mods would be nice... Especially if the ghouls/monsters were something original, and not just the common or garden zombies/mutants.

#178: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:03 pm
    —
When I get back into modding, it is something that's on my "to-do list". But while I am programming, I'm writing things from scratch, and the FPS perspective is nowhere to be found. Most of it is 8-bit code, as it turns out, and it doesn't even use the C programming language.

#179: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: WLHackLocation: Loppi - Finland PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:08 pm
    —
Not really an idea for a mod but idea for something one could do: Port Wolfenstein 3d from SDL to SFML...

I came up with this idea when I ported Lodevs Raycasting tutorial from SDL to SFML when I was planning to do my own raycaster from scratch...
Reason for using SFML instead of SDL was the fact SFML felt much easier and had better graphical capabilities (I am not sure whether there is any difference between these two anymore).

#180: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:43 pm
    —
WLHack wrote:
Not really an idea for a mod but idea for something one could do: Port Wolfenstein 3d from SDL to SFML...

I came up with this idea when I ported Lodevs Raycasting tutorial from SDL to SFML when I was planning to do my own raycaster from scratch...
Reason for using SFML instead of SDL was the fact SFML felt much easier and had better graphical capabilities (I am not sure whether there is any difference between these two anymore).

The main thing SFML has graphics-wise over SDL is an actual renderer; you could use SDL with OpenGL to achieve a similar effect, although SFML might be a little easier. The other thing is SFML is C++, so if you're used to using C++ like things it probably will be easier.

Mind you, SDL with OpenGL can do other impressive things, like lighting.

#181: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:23 pm
    —
I suppose it will be asked whether OpenGL would be faster than SFML. I invite someone with better C coding skills than I to try out both, although he/she had probably done an OpenGL port by this time if he/she really has those skills. Smile

#182: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:16 pm
    —
Well, SFML leverages OpenGL, so the results will likely be similar. OpenGL, regardless of whether you use it as an accelerated 2D renderer or actually render the game in 3D with it, will be much, much faster than the existing software renderer.

#183: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: WLHackLocation: Loppi - Finland PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:52 am
    —
AlumiuN wrote:
Well, SFML leverages OpenGL, so the results will likely be similar. OpenGL, regardless of whether you use it as an accelerated 2D renderer or actually render the game in 3D with it, will be much, much faster than the existing software renderer.

Originally I moved from SDL to SFML because I am huge fan of shmups (bullet hell shooters)...
I started to work with SDL but quite soon hit the limit without using OpenGL

To test whether was more suitable for making that kind of game I made a simple test application using both wrappers that would spawn randomly rotating and moving bullets till the FPS drops below 50.
In SDL I only reached bit over 1000 bullets (that is more than enough), but I had to make a separate sprite before hand for each rotation so I could only show the bullets in 8 angles.

In SFML however I reached about 20,000 bullets and each of them were rotatated in real time.

Anyway, back to the SFML conversion...
I actually got quite far with the raycaster (I think I showed Ron some of my achievements, I even got the see through walls working that I originally tried to do with Wolfenstein.

#184: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:02 pm
    —
WLHack wrote:
AlumiuN wrote:

Originally I moved from SDL to SFML because I am huge fan of shmups (bullet hell shooters)...
I started to work with SDL but quite soon hit the limit without using OpenGL

To test whether was more suitable for making that kind of game I made a simple test application using both wrappers that would spawn randomly rotating and moving bullets till the FPS drops below 50.
In SDL I only reached bit over 1000 bullets (that is more than enough), but I had to make a separate sprite before hand for each rotation so I could only show the bullets in 8 angles.

In SFML however I reached about 20,000 bullets and each of them were rotatated in real time.

Anyway, back to the SFML conversion...
I actually got quite far with the raycaster (I think I showed Ron some of my achievements, I even got the see through walls working that I originally tried to do with Wolfenstein.

Yeah, exactly; when I was still making Panacea I realised there was no way I was going to get it looking how I wanted without using OpenGL because SDL and software rendering was way too slow.

#185: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: WLHackLocation: Loppi - Finland PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:58 pm
    —
After thinking at this for a moment, I think I will try to port Wolf3D to SFML.
However my main focus is on completing the two mods I am currently working on so the progress might be bit slow.

Anyway, once I have some real progress done I will start a separate thread for this.

#186: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: linuxwolf PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:22 pm
    —
I have added OpenGL support to a version of Wolf4SDL I privately maintain. However I don't know much about SFML.

I'll ask an obvious question. Is there a git project for Wolf4SDL?

It would be nice to bring all porting efforts back into a single source tree - whether that is porting to SFML or OpenGL or something else..

#187: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:53 pm
    —
I'm not aware of one; the original source had an SVN but I'm sure if that's still up and it's certainly not as good as something like Git.

#188: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:10 am
    —
I would focus first on finding a more permanent host for the current versions of Wolf4SDL and its source code. Once that's situated, it'll be far more practical to have things put together into a single source tree again. Smile

#189: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:36 pm
    —
Well, Github would be entirely appropriate for that. In fact, I might go set up a Github repo for it now. I'll base it off Andy's revision because I feel like that's the best.

EDIT: Here we are; do we want to treat this as an official source for it and update links in the necessary places? I will also be accepting commits for bug-fixes and such, as well as new features as long as they can be entirely toggled with a #define in version.h.

#190: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: linuxwolf PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:32 pm
    —
This is great! Very Happy

I think it would be more than appropriate to update links in appropriate places once the relevant people have given their blessing.

Any commits must be approved by the relevant "stakeholders". All controlled via version.h unless its a bug fix that affects all releases.

For something like porting to SFML or OpenGL (or whatever) I would suggest branching the git repository so we don't 'taint' the mainline. I am happy to provide code review of any new commits going into Wolf4SDL. I am available to perform maintenance and/or development of new features if required.

Thanks for uploading it. Smile

#191: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:17 pm
    —
Yeah, branches would be appropriate for stuff that significant. Depending on the time and motivation I have in the near future I might try to make a few things work better (like making the --resf parameter not break everything, for example).

#192: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: linuxwolf PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:19 pm
    —
Perhaps the current todo items should be created as issues in the repository as well.

Last edited by linuxwolf on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

#193: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:20 pm
    —
Here's a question for the other DHWs members. Is GitHub going to be a problem for anyone here on DHWs? I'm not familiar with its history.

If having the Wolf4SDL source hosted on GitHub *is* the right way to go, we can always have a link to it posted on the main Wolf4SDL thread. But being poorly-versed on the site in question, I can't encourage or discourage a hosting involving GitHub. Thoughts? Neutral

#194: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:37 pm
    —
linuxwolf wrote:
Perhaps the current todo items should be created as issues in the repository as well.

I'd be fine with that; there's an "enhancement" label for such issues Smile

Tricob wrote:
If having the Wolf4SDL source hosted on GitHub *is* the right way to go, we can always have a link to it posted on the main Wolf4SDL thread. But being poorly-versed on the site in question, I can't encourage or discourage a hosting involving GitHub. Thoughts?

I'd be fine with this; as far as I'm aware Github has always been good, hence it being my choice for such a thing. It would be nice to have a relatively central and official source.

#195: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: linuxwolf PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:34 am
    —
AlumiuN, can you give me permission to make a branch in your Wolf4SDL.git? I want to bring in some helpful math functions.

Otherwise let me know how I can contribute code into your repository. Thanks.

#196: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:26 pm
    —
linuxwolf wrote:
AlumiuN, can you give me permission to make a branch in your Wolf4SDL.git? I want to bring in some helpful math functions.

Otherwise let me know how I can contribute code into your repository. Thanks.

Added you as a collaborator, you should be able to branch it now Smile

#197: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: linuxwolf PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:19 pm
    —
I tried it. I got the same permissions error. I could not push my branch back to origin.

#198: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:33 pm
    —
linuxwolf wrote:
I tried it. I got the same permissions error. I could not push my branch back to origin.

I think you have to accept the collaboration invite first; I sent it yesterday, but I'm not sure if it gets sent to your email or just through Github.

#199: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: linuxwolf PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:43 am
    —
Yes thank you. It works now.

#200: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:59 pm
    —
Depending on what you're intending to do with it, a fork might be a better idea than a branch.

#201: Re: TCs - What's left? You decide. Author: linuxwolf PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:47 pm
    —
I have "started" multiplayer support in my lwlib branch. I am using SDL net and UDP sockets. I'm happy to receive course correction from anyone reviewing the code. Thanks.

DieHard Wolfers -> Addons/Mods/TC's

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1