Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill")
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
DieHard Wolfers -> DieHard Archives

#1: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: Thomas PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:39 am
    —
After releasing some sub-standard small mods that didn't gain further notice I thought I'd try something different. I've tried to get into the world of all-new graphics and fancy weapons and all sorts of weird features but I find myself lost and uninspired when it comes to dealing with sprites and guards out of the "old-school" spectre. However, I made a compromise.

I wanted to release a game that would top my (in my own opinion) only full-blown masterpiece "All This & Wolf 3D" and it looks like it's going to happen! Havoc who is one of the best coders out there now who's made Absence and things like that has built me an extremely well-organised EXE with a lot of great features I can't wait to toy with. However, he just sent it to me last night, and the first-time bugs get in the way. But compared to what's in it, these bugs are nothing. There are so many things added and about 95% of them work well as of now. Hopefully, this game will get me some notice since I've always wanted to release a game people will know, in style with "Spear Resurrection" and even "End of Destiny" (But I doubt anyone can top that particular one.)

Now, since there are some minor bugs in the way as of now, most of them are on my part Laughing Graphics and such. But I did manage to get some good shots thus far:

Thus far, 2 maps are done which means there are 95 left. In saying that, I'm getting busy in my private life so this game will at least take one year to finish. But now you know. Hopefully this will open a new gateway for me and get my name up on that pedestal! Laughing I hope you guys will like it. Don't know if I should release a demo of it at one point; I myself hate demos. But you never know. In SDL everything is possible... Beer Or so it seems.

EDITED - Fixed and updated this thread.

Last edited by Thomas on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

#2: Announcing "Wolf Overkill" - an SDL mod Author: Andy_NonymousLocation: New Jersey, USA PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:24 am
    —
Thomas,

Looks very promising. About the decision to release a demo: Do the mods you consider "top-tier" have demos? If you want this one to be counted amongst those you deem "masterpieces", do as they have done.

My two cents,
Andy

#3: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: Thomas PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:21 am
    —
Those I see as masterpieces are "End of Destiny", "Schabbs 2000" and "Assassinate Hitler", "Totengraeber" and "Conflict in the Fatherland", "Spear Resurrection", "WolfenDOOM", "Chokage", "Chemical Warfare", "Armageddon", etc. and none had demos. "Totengraeber" was released as Phase 1 and 2 though... But I'm not gonna do that. Smile

#4: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: ronwolf1705 PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:49 am
    —
Looking forward to this one! Smile Screenshots look good. Thumbs Up

#5: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: DeanLocation: Australia PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:09 am
    —
Sounds great Thomas, I always love playing your mods.

I see though that you've used fairly stock standard sprites though. Maybe I could suggest adding some different variations of the original sprites? There are quite a few people here that could help you out with some changes if you asked them.

Of course, it's your mod so it's totally up to you!

#6: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: Thomas PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:09 am
    —
At heart I can't let go of the original ones. But I was thinking about it the other day. I've already replaced the regular oil drum and columns due to the features; I'll be using those of "Spear Resurrection" since they are the only ones available. I'd love to have the "Lost Episodes"-potted plant and maybe the wells of "Spear Resurrection" as well. I'm also thinking about replacing the vase with the one from "Lost Episodes". At the moment, Havoc has fixed all bugs that we had, so it won't be a problem. I think I'm gonna do that... I've been missing some changed sprites lately. Hopefully I won't Possum the whole thing up. Laughing

#7: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:16 pm
    —
If your mod has 64x64 graphics, you might try that plant-in-pot sprite I did some years back. It appears in my Munchkins mod, and it's basically one of Adam Biser's plants placed into a round, blue-shaded pot.

#8: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: Thomas PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:25 pm
    —
I've been fiddling with the new graphics and I'm gonna settle down for a while. The first 4 maps are done and tested; so I thought I'd share some screenshots with you.

While it doesn't look like anything special, I can tell you it is. I've never felt such atmospheric gameplay before! It's not because of the maps or graphics combination in particular, but because it's 4SDL. The game just flows smoothly. The guard in the third pic is a new enemy, along with 4 others who all work perfect. And that's all on Havoc's part!

"4 down... 93 to go..." ???

Laughing

#9: Announcing "Wolf Overkill" - an SDL mod Author: Thomas PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:41 am
    —
Current progress: 6 maps done. Which means there's 94 maps left... Laughing ... All coding works perfectly and is most likely done for now.
I still have the missile launcher, breakable columns, exploding oil barrels, etc. I will post some screenshots soon.

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

#10: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:20 pm
    —
Sounds interesting...I'll sure play this when it's released

#11: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: zdude PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:03 am
    —
This is lookin' pretty good so far. I never did play ATAW3D (guess I'm gonna have to) but I will play this for sure once it comes out.

#12: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: Thomas PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:47 am
    —
Well, I can't blame you. I've always had a hard time "advertising" for my games, since they never achieve "that" public following. But I mean, it's obvious. We've come so far, it's hard to make people positively surprised; well, except for "The Lair of the Mantis" which looks like the Wolf editing parameters have been expanded another tad further.

Current progress is nice. Now, we've got 130 walls or so, tons of new objects, and 9 maps done. I love mapping on this one... So much fun. I thought about releasing a demo, but that would poop the whole thing. I did some recolouring myself, and for the first time it turned out nice. A screenshot of the current level:

I've also done the infamous grey brick texture in yellow, purple and green - colours that might seem unrealistic, but they diverse the ceiling colours and make certain objects look different in that certain situation.

#13: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: Lozer_42Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:53 pm
    —
Looks 'cool'... Both in color tone and awesomeness...

#14: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: DeanLocation: Australia PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:45 pm
    —
Thomas, Did you consider enabling the 3rd plane so you can add floors and ceilings? It really adds a whole new dimension to mapping.

#15: Announcing "Wolf Overkill" - an SDL mod Author: Thomas PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:32 am
    —
Havoc told me that the "3rd plane" thingies are added, but that's as far we've got. I haven't yet found out what textures should be used where, etc. We'll take that up for discussion later. Current progress is that I finished map 11 last night, which was a boss level. For now I've got to start the second unit of the maps which spands maps 12-26. ??

We've also got 6 new enemies now. Sadly, some of them are "special" sprites that needs to be used later on in the game, since they'll fit that certain atmosphere more. Laughing

#16: "Wolf Overkill" - an SDL mod - EFFECTIVE UPDATE Author: Thomas PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:29 am
    —
All right folks, things have changed a lot these last... Six days? Laughing Sure didn't feel like that. I changed the thread a little. Now, the coding is settled, with minor exceptions, so minor that they needn't be listed up.

THE FULL LIST OF FEATURES:

* 100 maps (90 straight, 10 secret)
* changed graphics and walls
* 4 keys, 250 ammo and ammobox
* ceiling colours and music order changed
* new walls added (Including brand new walls)
* new sounds added
* new door added
* new music added
* new graphics added
* 7 new guards added (+ the usual 5)
* 3 new bosses added (+ the usual 6)
* exploding oil drums
* collapsing columns
* gun bobbing
* numerous animated sprites
* knife is a silent weapon
* shading and fog added
* 3rd plane enabled (But not yet in use)
* missile launcher added with separate ammo
* minor quirks (Toilet flush, drinkable wells, etc.)
* BJ goes "All right!" when he picks up a nice weapon... Laughing

And of course, this is an SDL EXE - and everything is working bug-free.

Current map progress: 15 out of 100 done. Still a good deal left. But when you're left with these features, inspiration and ideas come easy.

THE MAP GUIDE:

(Maps 1-11) - Lower castle - boss: Trans Grosse
(Maps 12-26) - Old castle - boss: Dr. Schabbs
(Maps 27-36) - Lower labs - boss: Otto von Giftmacher
(Maps 37-53) - Royal castle - boss: General Fettgesicht
(Maps 54-69) - Plain castle - boss: Barnacle Wilhelm
(Maps 70-77) - Upper labs - boss: The Ubermutant
(Maps 78-86) - Upper castle - boss: Hans Grosse
(Maps 87-90) - The Führerbunker - boss: Hitler
(Maps 91-100) - secret maps.

UPDATED SCREENSHOTS:

As you can see, I've "nicked" a lot of graphics, but I'll credit all, no worries. Very Happy

If all goes right, this game is scheduled to be out somewhere in 2010.

#17: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: DeanLocation: Australia PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:43 pm
    —
Looks good Thomas. I'll PM you something that I noticed from one of your screenshots that might be able to help you!

#18: "Wolf Overkill" - an SDL mod - EFFECTIVE UPDATE Author: Thomas PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:57 am
    —
All right folks, a lot has happened since last. Mapping progress is now up to 50 maps, and therefore we're half way with the mapping. Coding is fine as well. As a matter of fact, we're improving the lab areas - Havoc has coded in brand new exploding nuclear barrels that leak toxic waste, which you will need a suit to walk through - just like in DooM. This is going to be great.

Since the coding is almost done, I skipped the lab areas at first (Maps 27-36) but I hope to start them up next week. All other maps (1-26 and 37-60) are done - and after the labs are finished, I'll open up a new GAMEMAPS-file to start on the last maps (61-100). If all goes right the mapping could be done by New Year's Eve. That's my goal... And believe it or not, it's actually more likely to be done than it seems. I remember making 5 maps in one day a couple of weeks ago.

New screenshots (Not that exciting, but here goes:)

#19: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: lilmanjs PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:09 pm
    —
I love the look of this mod

#20: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: Thomas PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:10 pm
    —
Some new shots. Here is one where the exploding nuclear barrels are in action:

They leak toxic clouds that follow you for a while... When there's a lot of them, you better jump into the radiation suit.

This is some of the new wall pics and my first sprite made from scratch. This is supposed to be just like the health vials from "Unreal Tournament" - G.O.T.Y. version. They can make your health go way past 100%... A long, long way!

Currently 56 of the 100 maps are done.

#21: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: RichterBelmont12Location: New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:16 pm
    —
Looking Really Good. -thumbs up-

#22: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:22 pm
    —
The Health Vials are a nice touch. Are they animated at this point? Smile

#23: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:35 am
    —
Looks great Smile

#24: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: Thomas PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:40 am
    —
Tricob wrote:
The Health Vials are a nice touch. Are they animated at this point? Smile

Maybe they will, with time. As with the tables with candles, the toxic puddles, the ceiling lights, standard lights, stoves, etc. - anything that glows - this lights up even though there's shading. But I do hope for an animation of this sprite in particular.

#25: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: WSJ PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:32 pm
    —
Nice screenshots. I'm looking forward to this game. Smile

#26: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: Thomas PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:08 pm
    —
I thought I'd update this a little. Since the last status mapping has exploded rapidly - 93 maps are done now and I'm just to do two more before starting something special. Every second secret map will contain some crazy action. I'm not going to reveal anymore except the headlines:

* One chainsaw-crazy level
* One motorbike level
* One level in which BJ is having a "bad trip"...
* One hell-on-earth level invaded by Hitler and Hitler lookalikes
* One level consisting of restrooms

I hope that could fire up some action. Though maps 61-91, 93 and 95 are done I can't take screenshots since the ceiling colours are out of place and most of the maps look weird with that particular colour. I've however dug up something else:

I made these SA-signs the best I could. As far as I know they've never been in any other mods.

I've also made up a complete enemy pic:

13 enemies in total - the big grunt robot at the end is only present in the labs though... As with most mutant and mutant SS. As you can see, it's not a total original scheme I've got going here, but fear not - credits are well-given whenever this mod may be released. Smile

#27: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: lilmanjs PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:42 pm
    —
can't wait for this mod Very Happy

#28: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:20 pm
    —
The dude in the brown suit looks really cool. But it'll great to see all these guys in action when the mod is released. Smile

#29: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: Soldat 555 PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:10 am
    —
Tricob wrote:
The dude in the brown suit looks really cool.

I thought the 2 guys in brown looked like Afrika Korps guys... But yes, they do look cool!!! Thomas, I raise my St. Pauli Girl bottle of beer to ye for a good looking project!

Thunderstorm Joshua M@d Wolf Waight Thunderstorm

#30: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill") Author: Thomas PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:23 am
    —
If you're talking about the officer-edit in the brown suit he's meant to be an SA-guard. The edited SS (Which I... Well, I put the specs on him, the rest was from some other mod Laughing) is labeled "Combat-SS" 'cause I don't know what the hell he's supposed to be. Laughing But it was great with a little curiousity in the SS department since they're always either blue or grey.

DieHard Wolfers -> DieHard Archives

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 3