Played Acktung 2; is the first still worth it?
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

DieHard Wolfers -> Polling Booth
If I've already played Acktung 2 should I bother with the first?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 4
Total Votes : 4

#1: Played Acktung 2; is the first still worth it? Author: MrWolfForeverLocation: Northeast Ohio, USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:56 am
    —
Basically the title. I've already played Acktung 2 TLW; does that make the first Acktung less worthwhile?

#2: Re: Played Acktung 2; is the first still worth it? Author: Megabyte PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:13 am
    —
If you like his mapping style then you definately should also play the first Acktung Smile

#3: Re: Played Acktung 2; is the first still worth it? Author: MrWolfForeverLocation: Northeast Ohio, USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:23 am
    —
Well I didn't include it and probably should have but yes I liked Acktung 2 (plus both his Archives sets for SoD) a lot.

What I am looking for more or less is to know whether Acktung 2 us revamped maps from the first, or if they are completely independent sets, and if so whether the first Acktung is at least very nearly as good as the second in quality.

#4: Re: Played Acktung 2; is the first still worth it? Author: serpensLocation: Odrowaz PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:12 pm
    —
MrWolfForever wrote:

What I am looking for more or less is to know whether Acktung 2 us revamped maps from the first

What makes you think so? As far as I know, the levels in both sets are completely different, and there's really no need to worry about their quality - Acktung is the second best Wolfenstein mapset ever in my opinion.

#5: Re: Played Acktung 2; is the first still worth it? Author: ArielusLocation: Buenos Aires, Argentina PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:59 pm
    —
I will admit, Sir, that in my opinion your polls can sometimes stir up comments such as serpens's...

To the best of my knowledge, this set showcases no revamped maps from the first set. We're talking about 60 new maps, so I wonder what made you even wonder aloud about that possibility. It is just fine (unavoidable, rather) to give such an idea some thought (how many crazy ideas cross our minds every day, for that matter?), but posting it without taking some time to verify their potential veracity is, I am afraid, a way to most likely prompt folks to come at you...

This is just my opinion and, of course, we should turn to ack himself for a definite answer. In any case, anything made by ack is, in my view, worth a look. I have yet to see something released by this Canadian fellow that qualifies as "not worth playing"...

I'd bet my life savings that such a day shalt not come during my lifetime...

Ariel

#6: Re: Played Acktung 2; is the first still worth it? Author: MrWolfForeverLocation: Northeast Ohio, USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:22 pm
    —
serpens wrote:
MrWolfForever wrote:

What I am looking for more or less is to know whether Acktung 2 us revamped maps from the first

What makes you think so? As far as I know, the levels in both sets are completely different, and there's really no need to worry about their quality - Acktung is the second best Wolfenstein mapset ever in my opinion.

The best? My top three guesses:
Acktung 2
W.O.L.F.
Conflict in the Fatherland

#7: Re: Played Acktung 2; is the first still worth it? Author: serpensLocation: Odrowaz PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:16 am
    —
Unsurprisingly, it's Acktung 2. I simply have a preference for ack's mapping style.

#8: Re: Played Acktung 2; is the first still worth it? Author: MrWolfForeverLocation: Northeast Ohio, USA PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:08 am
    —
Favorite that doesn't feature involvement of ack? Personally in a straight series like that if you love both I'd just count Acktung/Acktung 2 as one entry (which would collectively be your favorite). I count generally count series or games that are a direct sequel to another custom game (like Spear Resurrection and EoD), assuming in each case the author is the same, as only one entry collectively.

#9: Re: Played Acktung 2; is the first still worth it? Author: serpensLocation: Odrowaz PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:11 pm
    —
That would be Conflict in the Fatherland then. It stands out among other mapsets if you don't count ack's releases.

#10: Re: Played Acktung 2; is the first still worth it? Author: MrWolfForeverLocation: Northeast Ohio, USA PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:00 pm
    —
Common favorite or near favorite (mapset) of many, and for good reason. Smile

#11: Re: Played Acktung 2; is the first still worth it? Author: Thomas PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:25 am
    —
I agree, been playing CitF the last couple of days for the first time in what seems like ages... So, so brilliant mapping! A true Wolfenstein 3D map set companion. The details, the homages to both Wolf and Spear levels... It's truly a fantastic, complete map set. The blueprint of perfection in modding.

#12: Re: Played Acktung 2; is the first still worth it? Author: MrWolfForeverLocation: Northeast Ohio, USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:40 pm
    —
Yeah, of raw 60-level, 6 episode format mapsets CitF is still among the best, fifteen years after the maps were actually made (see BJ Rowan's site; he explains these levels were made considerably before he released the game in 1999).

If I was to pick a top three in this category (60-level 6 episode format mapsets with no more than very minor graphic/sound/sprite/code changes) I'd include CitF, both Acktung's (I really feel these should only be one entry because otherwise ack would own 2/3 of the list), and finally the DHW SDL mapset (easily the best overall level quality of any Wolf3D community set IMO). I'm not as sure what I'd pick past those three; there are a lot of good candidates out there (Arielus, Ipank7000, serpens, Thomas, and Brian/Schabbs have all made at least one very good set to fit this criteria and those are just off the top of my head) but these three (okay, technically four) still stick out in my mind as the front-runners.

DieHard Wolfers -> Polling Booth

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1