What do you think about floor and ceiling textures in mods?
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

DieHard Wolfers -> Polling Booth
What do you think about textured floors and ceilings in mods?
I like them a lot in mods!
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
I usually like them in mods.
69%
 69%  [ 9 ]
I'm mostly indifferent about them.
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
I actually prefer the classic look.
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Voted : 13
Total Votes : 13

#1: What do you think about floor and ceiling textures in mods? Author: Military PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:40 pm
    —
I was just wondering how people feel about it in general. One of my future mods will definitely have textured floors and ceilings, but I'm not sure about the others. I quite like the idea, but I never made a mod with them before.

I guess floor and ceiling textures work better for more realistic levels, as opposed to more abstract ones where you can just imagine things. Like that you're outside because there are no lamps and a horizon texture on a wall. Plus there's a whole bunch of tricks you can do with single color floors and ceilings. But with floor and ceiling textures, especially non-uniform ones like provided by WolfSDL, it can feel so much more immersive.

I guess it's another of those completely subjective things, but it would still be nice to hear your thoughts.

#2: Re: What do you think about floor and ceiling textures in mods? Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:54 pm
    —
I suppose there are times where a map works better without the floor/ceiling textures rather than with them, but I usually run into such things with my own maps rather than other modders' works.

#3: Re: What do you think about floor and ceiling textures in mods? Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:14 pm
    —
I love them, but they add an extra level of complexity that not all mappers (especially newer ones) are able to pull off.

#4: Re: What do you think about floor and ceiling textures in mods? Author: doomjediLocation: Israel PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:29 am
    —
There are "classic" mods and "advanced" mods/TCs.
Textured floors ruin it when you want to get oldschool feel/look obviously.
It's all depending on a mod you make and a feel you want to achieve.

#5: Re: What do you think about floor and ceiling textures in mods? Author: Military PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:33 pm
    —
I've sometimes contemplated doing something in between. Using floor and ceiling textures, but keeping them mostly solid colors. Just to have light blue ceiling outdoors but not indoors, or only using non-plain floor textures for details like floor grates and carpets, and even those could be kept mostly plain-colored. I think that would make an interesting effect.

#6: Re: What do you think about floor and ceiling textures in mods? Author: fraggeur PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:28 am
    —
I second the above.

In my Golden Parrot mod for example - though it is not the exactly the same thing, I have a default floor and ceiling color, and some areas are intentionally not textured to recycle those 2 default colors.

DieHard Wolfers -> Polling Booth

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1