Music loop issue
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

DieHard Wolfers -> SDL Code Crackers

#1: Music loop issue Author: gerolfLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:10 am
    —
On a mod I've been working on, that is close to completion, there is a bug with the MIDI/OGG music where when the track ends and loops over, it can sometimes crash the game. Also, whenever you open a menu, or pause the game, the tracks start over again.

Is there anyone here who has done the MIDI/OGG routine without these problems that can share how they did it?

#2: Re: Music loop issue Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:58 pm
    —
I haven't run into the crashing problem myself, but maybe it's specific with Midi files. I avoid using Midi files, as they sound different with each sound card. That defeats the purpose of moving away from IMF playback, IMO. Smile

Yes, the music does restart from the beginning. That's because OGG and WAV play back in chunks like the digitized sounds in Wolf3D. The best you can do is start playing back the beginning of the current chunk or just skip over to the next one (the latter of which Wolf3D does with SB sound playback). You can't just play back a chunk right in the middle unless you *really* know what you're doing. Smile

#3: Re: Music loop issue Author: AlumiuNLocation: Christchurch, New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:45 pm
    —
If you're talking about my sound manager, it's not because they play back in chunks, it's because SDL_mixer can't store playback information for more than one music track, so I literally had no choice but to restart the track when it changes back. The crash is odd, but I'm fairly certain that's not a problem on my end. It's been such a long time since I touched the ASM that I have no idea, though.

#4: Re: Music loop issue Author: TricobLocation: Neo-traditions, Inc. PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:20 pm
    —
Okay, my mistake. Confused

DieHard Wolfers -> SDL Code Crackers

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1