DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

The Game That Started It All...Wolfenstein 3D
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:15 am
   Subject: The Game That Started It All...Wolfenstein 3D
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

One Thing I Believe,Is That If It Wasn't For Wolfenstein 3D,It Would Have Taken ID Software At Least 5 More Years Creating Doom.

And With That Said,I Believe It Would Have Taken Them Another 7 Years Just To Make Quake 1.

Anybody Agree With Me?

Thunderstorm Thunder Lord Jemanie Thunderstorm
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:01 am
   Subject: It didn't start Spegetti, Italians invented that one...
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Yeah, kinda makes you wonder. If they didn't create Wolfenstein 3d, what would they have been doing with their spare time in 1992? Maybe they would have gotten around to creating Commander Keen 7... or would have gone with making that 3d Alien game they talked about instead. Really, if John Romero didn't come up with the idea to do a game based on the old Apple game Castle Wolfenstein on that one day... who knows what the heck they'd be working on right now. Would 3d shooters even exist at all, and if so, who would have created the first one that changed the face of gaming - or would it have been a sort of an evolving phase? There's no way to really tell that ID would actually have the inspiration to make a Doom game if they didn't even make Wolfenstein 3d --- and if they did end up somehow making Doom, it might have been totally different than it is now... because they didn't have all the elements of Wolf3d to look back on for lessons and guidance. Wonder what WE'D be talking about if they didn't make Wolfenstein... guess we'd never really get to meet each other at all. I might have ended up meeting some of you like Ariel and AReyeP at a Doom forum; or Bionic Wolf at a Commander Keen forum, or Sockman and Raistlin at Duke Nukem 3d forum, or The Master at a Nine Inch Nails concert, or Adhesive Boy at a Remixing studio, or Gary Ragland and Brothertank on a trip across the Province/Area. Maybe some of us would be spending more time doing non-computer related things; haha. Shocked

"The Game That Started It All" started alot more than just a 3d revolution in gaming for me, it shaped alot of things about my life in general. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing; too many things to analyze and consider (and because all I have to base other possible outlooks on is my past experiences, television shows, and other people's methods of life), but atleast Wolfenstein 3d isn't making me miserable and pescimistic like Tristan is right now... Laughing
Mikey X
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 1
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:29 am
   Subject: Re: The Game That Started It All...Wolfenstein 3D

Wolfenstein 3D started a 3D shooting revolution. If ID software didn't create Wolfenstein 3D, there probably wouldn't be DOOM, or Quake, and if they were created they would probably be a lot different.
Martin
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 8
poland.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:03 am

I think the whole shooting-games business would evolve into Duke Nukem Manhattan Project platform-style games. OMG...

Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 3
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:54 pm

Manhattan Project is kinda crappy. The only reason I play it EVER is it takes 5 seconds to load on my computer, and if I ever just wanna play something, I play that, cause it takes too long to load Max Payne 2 or Vice City. Speaking of that, would we ever have the 3D GTA games without Wolf? Question Question

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:25 am

The basic idea behind Wolfenstein 3D is found in all modern FPS games.
Mikey X
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:15 am

I think if Wolfenstein 3D wasn't created, there wouldn't be a lot of FPS around.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:47 pm

Mikey X wrote:
I think if Wolfenstein 3D wasn't created, there wouldn't be a lot of FPS around.

Indeed, if no Wolfensten 3D ever created, we have nothing with Add-on, TC, source code, and etc......... Ever there is no website avaliable for all of us. Rolling Eyes
Mikey X
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:28 pm

True, and if Wolfenstein 3D didn't exist, the Wolf 3D Dome and this site wouldn't exist.

Last edited by Mikey X on Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:04 pm

Mikey X wrote:
Quote:

Indeed, if no Wolfensten 3D ever created, we have nothing with Add-on, TC, source code, and etc......... Ever there is no website avaliable for all of us. Rolling Eyes

True, and if Wolfenstein 3D didn't exist, the Wolf 3D Dome and this site wouldn't exist.

Sure Exclamation Mr Green
Raistlin
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:06 am

This sounds like a "twilight zone" episode.....

what if we woke up and there was no wolfenstein?

BWAA HAAA HAAAA HAAA HAAAAAAAAAA................

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:36 am

Don't let nightmare starts where those wolfenstein 3d does not exist Exclamation Laughing
Ringman
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 54
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:51 am

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but Wolf3d was not the first raycasting game. The first one wasn't actually made by ID, it was a mac game called pathways into darkness. It was an adventure first person shooter. I've never actually played it but I was told that it was the first, but I'm pretty sure ID developed hovertank 3d before pathways. Who knows? Anyone wanna clear me up on this one?

Also there was a really old fps raycasting game that I played that had not textured walls but it had light shading and stuff. I can't remember much about it , but in the beginning you could choose your sex and your weapons and what armor and stuff you wanted. I think it was called "corporation." I have no clue how old this game was

EDIT: I just checked out the info and here's how the games size up.

Pathways into darkness - 1993

Wolf3d - 1992

Wolf wins so far.

Hovertank 3d -1991

Catacomb 3d- 1992

Corporation - 1991

Some people don't consider hovertank3d a fps so that would leave corporation as the winner, but I'm not sure if thats an accurate assumption.

Here's the link to info on Corporation

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1406

Last edited by Ringman on Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Mikey X
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:00 am

I never knew that Wolfenstein 3D wasn't the first FPS. I think it was the first FPS that was really popular.
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:38 am

I was going to make mention of Catacomb, but then Ringman beat me to it...Laughing As I understand it, there was a long debate over whether that or Wolfenstein was the grandaddy of the FPS, but then, when you look at the list Ringman put up, Catacomb came out later (so why are the graphics crappier??) Laughing

I personally think that I invented the concept of the FPS...there was this old "game" called "Maze" I used to play on the Apple IIC about 17 years ago, and the program generated a random maze for you, then you navigated it in 3D. You couldn't move around in the hallways, you just chose to go forward, backward, or turn left and right at intersections. I thought quite frequently, "Wouldn't it be fun if there were enemies or something in this game, and you could attack them from this view?" Of course, being that I was about 11 at the time, I obviously had no knowledge of how to make it happen...I was still doing drawings in ASCII at the time. Boy, I really missed the boat on that one! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:05 am

I was oblivious to the concept of FPS until I saw Wolfenstein 3-D. It only took a few seconds for the concept to gel in my brain. After that I was hooked ... forever. Laughing
Ringman
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:34 pm

From what I know, catacomb 3d came out first, (the same year believe it or not) but afterwards another company, soft disk, grabbed up the engine, and had ID make the next 3 games, C abyss in the same year, C Apocalypse, C Armageddon, the engine was only slightly modified and thats why it looks crappier than Wolf. ID was working on Wolf for themselves and put more effort into the engine.

Also I don't think the catacomb games are worse than wolf, they actually have more features like invisible enemies, invisibile walls, explodable walls, walls you can walk through, a time stopping device, a central hub(Catacomb Apocalypse) like in hexen, animated walls, an enemy radar that you have to collect crystals to view all the enemies, destructable valuble items, and health that you can use anytime you wish.

These 3 games are some of my favorite 3d fps, the action is fast and furious, and the graphics may seem crappy but the environments are awesome. I still play these today, but mostly I play Apocalypse.
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:31 am

Perhaps I spoke too hastily...catacomb doesn't really look bad...I guess what I meant by the graphics looking "crappier" is that they weren't as "clean" as some of the wolf graphics...from the list of features, though, it definitely sounds more involved. I might have to try that one out some time (I recall someone talking about remaking that game for the wolf engine, but I haven't heard much talk of that recently). Cool

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:50 pm

Y'know whats funny, I have tried to make a catacomb for wolf 3d but I had to take screenshots to get the sprites. It didn't work, so untill someone makes an art extractor I'm not going to continue.

I got most of the images but I couldn't get the deaths and the hurt frames because I had my fireballs in the way all the time. Plus the enemies had to be at the exact same spot on the screen before I snapped a shot.

Sob... Sad
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:35 am

Yeowch! That sounds like a huge undertaking! I've borrowed sprites from games I couldn't extract from...usually it's a single enemy sprite that I either snap out of a game or off the net...then I design every other sprite based on just the one. The results are okay sometimes, but nothing spectacular...the way you're describing would be a ton of work for me...I can only print screen once before I have to exit the program, save the snap shot, then go back in...below though are a couple things I took the one snapshot from though (and added wolf chainguns) Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:38 am

Raistlin wrote:
This sounds like a "twilight zone" episode.....

what if we woke up and there was no wolfenstein?

BWAA HAAA HAAAA HAAA HAAAAAAAAAA................

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

To Be Honest,I Would Fall Back Asleep Because Any Wolfenstein Game Is Better Then Any Doom Game. (Especially Doom III,Too Much Quake Crap.) Thunderstorm I AM THE LORD OF THUNDER,THE NAME IS DAVIDSSON, JEMANIE DAVIDSSON.

Last edited by Guest on Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:55 am

Sad I Am Afraid It Is True.First Person Shooters Were Around Before The Wolfenstein 3D Release.I Am Familiar With Hovertank And Catacomb Abyss.However, Sarcastic Wolfenstein 3D Is Like The Mortal Kombat Games.It Was One Game That Took The Entire Planet By Storm.And People Used Things Form Wolf3D.Such As In Doom When You Get The Shotgun,The Guy You Play Smiles.Plus,If You Remove The Stairways And The Elevators,The Levels Would Be The Same But With Better Graphics.

What Pisses Me Off,Is The Game Halo For PC And XBox,Took The Suit Of That Guy From Doom And Edited It And Called The Guy In Halo "Master Chief."In Doom 3 They Took The Head Spider Things From The 1982 Movie,The Thing. Laughing Ha! I Bet You Didn't Know That. Wink But Don't Take My Word For It,Rent It From Blockbuster Today.I Saw It And I'm Only 15 So You Guys Probably Should. Mad But Halo Sucks Eye Juice From Fish.

I AM THE LORD OF THUNDER.THE NAME IS DAVIDSSON, JEMANIE DAVIDSSON.
Mikey X
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:40 am

I agree, I believe Wolfenstein 3-D is the first FPS to take the world by storm. In some newer FPS's they take some stuff from Wolfenstein 3-D like what you said in Doom, you get a new weapon the guy you play smiles. But in newer FPS's you have to find clues to find a secret rather in Wolf 3-D you hack at walls all day.
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:34 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Heh heh.. Very Happy
Hacking at walls... I like the sound of that. I think I shall be a wall hacker when I bother to get a job... And it's all down to Wolf3d!

ALL HAIL WOLF 3d!!

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: