DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

[Info] Running Wolf3d in an XP DosBox
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> DieHard Archives View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:37 pm
   Subject: [Info] Running Wolf3d in an XP DosBox
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Didn't know where I should post this, but I was talking to two people about DosBox today (who have Windows XP); and they seemed to be having problems understanding it - so here's a little description... from what I've come across in my experiences. There is tons of versions of DosBox by different creators on the net, but the version of DosBox that I use (and would recommend) is right here (I have V0.58 - but V0.60 is pretty much the same):

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1

If you're having any problems with Wolf3d in Windows (like, not being able to get the sounds/music to work), you should check this program out; it's pretty cool! Look for the download that says something like "Windows" (Win32 installer), or "Windows Binary Installer". Once you install it, a "Z:\" drive should come up. To get to C:\, type the following:

mount c: c:\

For another drive, just do the same thing (but changing the drive letters in the example). Than just press "c:" and than enter to access it - than type in your regular dos commands like "dir" and "cd.." to jump around. You can also make it automatically do this by opening your Dosbox.conf file (in the same directory as where you installed DosBox) and changing the last line in the file to something like this:

[autoexec]
# Add here the lines you want to execute on startup.
c:

You can add more lines (like "cd wolf3d" and "wolf3d", for example) into the [autoexec] tag, if you wish to run something right away.

The framerate is set pretty low, so to change it to something more adaquate for Wolf3d; you can just keep hitting the CTRL-F12 key (Speedup Emulation) or the CTRL-F11 key (Slowdown Emulation). You can also change the default speed permanantely by going into Dosbox.conf again, and changing the [cpu] line around to something like this:

[cpu]
# The amount of cycles to execute each loop. Lowering this setting will slowdown dosbox
cycles=8000

6000-9000 seems to be a good number for most computers, but you can try to play around with it to see what works best for you. If you notice that the sounds are running choppy, a quick solution is to just run the game full screen by pressing ALT-ENTER (which can also be changed in Dosbox.conf - by changing the line in [sdl] to "fullscreen=true").

Once you have everything set; there's alot of cool options you can do inside the program while playing your game. CTRL-F5 saves a screenshot, but you also just save screenshots by putting the program into Window mode and capturing the screen with something like Paint Shop Pro (there's a shareware "Win3.1 version" available in numerous places on the net; just look on a search engine like MSN or Google for it). You can also record a wave file of your game with CTRL-F6 option (toggle it again to stop the recording); and some other cool options that can be viewable from the readme file.

If you want to exit Dosbox; simply hit the "X" button at the top right of the display Window... or write "exit" on the command prompt during full screen (or press CTRL-F9).

Hope that information helps! Let me know if you get the program working. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:35 pm
   Subject: Re: Wolfenstein 3d in DosBox
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I already know this, Because I read them adandonware forum and downloaded it, BUT THANKS FOR POST!!! Razz Smile
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:43 pm

Allow me to make a simple correction there, Chris. To mount a certain unit, you don't have to do this:

But this:

mount c c:\

Notice the difference between both versions. Anyway, I don't seem to be able to make the second one work either. The program does not let me select the root of the unit as a folder, and thus I am forced to do things like this:

mount c c:\games

In that way, I can type "c:" and then start browsing all the directories within c:\games, but not those outside it. Maybe this only happens here and with the version I'm using, which is 0.60. I don't really know, so I would suggest you guys try it for yourselves and see the results. By the way, using "\" is equal to using "/", they both work the same.

I hope this has been useful,

Ariel.

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:18 am

Works fine here as "mount c: c:\", so I wouldn't really say that you "corrected" me (even though the readme describes it your way)... but thanks for the feedback. I'll have to check out V0.60 to see what you mean, but my original comments seemed to work good for Skoiler and TheTalentedMrLeo (who have your version). I don't know why you can't access the root directory on your computer; but you might be able to trick the program by replacing the last parameter in mount from "c:\" with "c:/.." (which directs it straight to the root directory instead of to the last default).

One thing I found interesting about this DosBox, like you, is that some of the commands are changed; like the "\" switches (on V0.58 it's kinda useless; as you HAVE to use "/"). There are some advanced commands that aren't available either; such as wildcards in lines like "rename *.wl1 *.wl6" or "copy *.* c:/games" - but I'm sure if you really wanted to use those; you could always go back to the cheezy Windows Command Prompt v7.0 for that; haha.

It's cool to see that other people are using this program. Smile
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:12 am

Man... It is true: I have just checked and the command you use to mount a unit works fine here too. I don't know why I thought it didn't... My version still works though, but there's nothing wrong with yours. Sorry to have caused a confusion here. Oh well... Ignore my last post in this thread and this one as well...

Ariel.

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:48 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hey Ariel, no need to worry about it man! I loved reading all your posts; either way. Atleast you had the decency to look through the Reame file... all I did was play around with all the commands included on the virtual Z:\ drive until I figured out what everything did (like any typical man does when he faces a problem; you know - just tinker around with all the spare parts; hoping you don't blow something up, and if all else fails... read the instructions!) - lol.

To each their own, I guess... Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Time synchronized with the forum server time
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> DieHard Archives View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: