DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

trench warfare ?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Raistlin
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:17 pm
   Subject: trench warfare ?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hey, whats happening with Trench Warfare?

'cos there has'nt been any news in ages!!!!!!!

I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 4

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:41 pm
   Subject: Re: trench warfare?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I haven't worked on it for weeks actually. Lately I've lost a ton of interest in wolfenstein, I've been extremely bored of editing 64x64 pixel charactors and making block based maps Crying or Very sad

I've been spending less time with wolf altogether and I've been working more on Quake maps.

I am determined to finish though after I've spent months working on it, it's just been harder and harder to stare at flo-edit thinking new ways to place the same little blocks next to each other to form a map.
Not to mention I recently turned 18 and have been enjoying these new found freedoms Mr Green

Anyways it WILL come out. I don't know when. Hopefully I just need a break from wolf. I spent month after month working on it, and after a while it started to feel useless and dumb to be editing such an ancient and limited game. Hopefully after revisiting it again I'll regain the inspiration that made me start this in the first place.

And no, I haven't lost my love for wolfenstein, I still get a nostalgia trip playing those original levels, mowing down nazi's with a chaingun, it's just editing it has lost it's charm to me fast Crying or Very sad

TW definately has not been scrapped. I've spent way too much time already to just turn away. But my inspiration has been worn down for the time being and I'd rather spend more time at the moment enjoying other things. I'll get back to it when I can open flo-edit and do more than stare for 5 minutes and close it.

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 1
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:52 pm

That's good that your not going to let TW go to waste because telling by the screenshots it is going to be a good TC. Smile
Reivax44
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 3
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:19 pm

Josh said
Quote:
Not to mention I recently turned 18 and have been enjoying these new found freedoms

Happy Birthday!

Keep up the Warfare! Cool

DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:13 pm

Hey, Happy birthday, man!!!!

Cake Cake Cake Cake

Incidently, I know how u feel.........I've been the same the past few months. Flo edits map editing really is getting me down, as is the wolfenstein 3d palette and the knowledge that some where out there,
people are making matrix mods for Max Payne and I'm stuck here modding a game as old as Christopher Plummer!!!!!!!!

But still, some how, Wolfenstein keeps me hooked.
Really screwed up, huh?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:17 pm

What you guys need is a new map editor. Have you heard of ChaosEdit? Some guy is busy creating it right now. Geek I don't know much about it. Its supposed to rock. Cool
AReyeP
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 23
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:31 pm

judge wrote:
What you guys need is a new map editor. Have you heard of ChaosEdit? Some guy is busy creating it right now. Geek I don't know much about it. Its supposed to rock. Cool

It wouldn't matter what editor you use, the limitation on level design remains the same. So I can understand where thejosh is coming from Smile

thejosh wrote:
Anyway, I am determined to finish though after I've spent months working on it, it's just been harder and harder to stare at flo-edit thinking new ways to place the same little blocks next to each other to form a map.
Not to mention I recently turned 18 and have been enjoying these new found freedoms

Anyways it WILL come out. I don't know when. Hopefully I just need a break from wolf. I spent month after month working on it, and after a while it started to feel useless and dumb to be editing such an ancient and limited game. Hopefully after revisiting it again I'll regain the inspiration that made me start this in the first place.

MCS and I have been slowly working on EoD for almost 2 years. We're not rushing it, as if you feel you HAVE to finish something by a certain time then it's not so enjoyable. You need a break from time to time and that's how we decided to do it with EoD. So I'd suggest exactly the same with Trench Warfare. Kick back, relax, enjoy, and work on it when you WANT to work on it, not because you feel you HAVE to work on it - TW will be a damned good mod so it shouldn't be rushed Smile
Raistlin
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:48 am

Hey, Areyep is right, man!!!!!

take ur time and whatever happens, dont rush yourself!!!! Cool Cool Cool

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:07 am

Josh...if I may give you a few tips...

- Go rent a few WW2 movies. From the German perspective, ofcourse.
- Read a few WW2 thrillers.
- Visit a museum or two...
- Single-play RTCW from start to end without cheats..

And then you'll get inspiration enough. At least - that's how it worked for me. Mr Green
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 57
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:50 am
   Subject: and now for something completely different...

This might sound kind of odd, but I was never really interested in Trench Warfare. Seems like everything that was great in Wolfenstein 3d has been taken away here. Sorry for my pescimistic comments, but I honestly think this game will not be interesting to me; or it will seem indifferent from many of the darker games that have come after Wolfenstein - this is a feeling that's been very strong since I first heard about your game.

I remember AReyeP once saying something along the lines of: "I think I speak for everyone when I say that we'll be anxiously awaiting the release of Trench Warfare"; and that comment really made me wonder if there was something terribly wrong with me. Maybe I'm just going through some kind of phase or something... as I do like wolf3d games with new strategies, and that have had alot of work put into them. Maybe TW just isn't what I'm looking for though; I don't know.

Either way, whatever my crazy instincts are telling me shouldn't matter much to you anyways (since they're always flawed and unexplainable from mainstream outlooks - lol). Even if I fall behind during the whole TW revolution and can't seem to get into the spirit of things; don't worry about it - I'm sure I'll be able to find other ways to stay entertained (with whoever else dosen't have their fingers zombieized to their TW screen - if anyone?). Good luck on your game Josh! Smile
Mikey X
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:49 am

I agree with Raistlin, take your time, don't rush it, because if you rush it, it probably won't be as good. And when you finally do get it finished it'll be worth it. Wink
Reivax44
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 3
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:11 am

Chris said
Quote:
This might sound kind of odd, but I was never really interested in Trench Warfare. Seems like everything that was great in Wolfenstein 3d has been taken away here.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the thing(s) you don't like about Trench Warfare is 1. Not as colourful as Wolfenstein 3d. 2. The plot is not as fun or enjoyable. 3. Feels more like Medal of Honor than you would like.

Well, that is your own opinion and I respect that.

I don't think anything I say here will be able to change your mind about Trench Warfare because, as I have pointed out, it has lost a lot of the original feeling (funny, ridicoulously crazy bosses etc).

I think Trench Warfare will be a great success mainly because of the realism of the feeling in the game. It is something that I am concentating on in my own TC but, I am also concentating on having very psychological impressions.

Cool

I am Death Incarnate

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:42 am

@ Chris, I respect your opinion, and admire the fact that you said that despite all the praise from so many others.
I understand what you're saying, but I would never really expect something to appeal to everyone.

As mentioned TW is alot different from the original wolfenstein, and this on my part, was intentional. I felt there were alot of wolfenstein tcs that, well, felt like playing wolfenstein. I wanted something new that would make the player forget they're playing another wolfenstein mod.

Whether that's good or bad, well I'll find out Laughing

Anyways sorry it doesn't appeal to you Chris but if it helps my case any there are going to be some crazy secrets that detract from the seriousness of the game Secret

@ Parafriction - I've done all the above, that's really what led to my working on this in the first place, I think I really just rushed it too much to the point where it seemed like a chore.

@ Reivax44 - I'm glad you think it will be a success I'll do my best to live up to that Mr Green

@ Everyone else - I've taken into consideration all comments and I apprieciate them all. More feedback would be great - criticism helps.

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:40 am

For the beta screenshots, I like the status bar and I like the graphics. Smile It looks pretty realistic.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:06 am

thejosh wrote:
I understand what you're saying, but I would never really expect something to appeal to everyone.

You took those comments pretty well Josh. That was how I felt at the time, but I do see alot of potential in your game - and I like your idea of trying make a game that is only similar to Wolfenstein 3d in some forms with the engine itself (adding alot of interesting features, like the new status bar with the flag background and the variety of outside / inside atmospheres). The whole idea of masking the origins of Wolf3d was exactly what Tekkadaun was after too, and at the time the demo of it was out; the game was actually pretty interesting for me - so maybe I shouldn't be so quick to judge this new environment you're trying to create in your addon.

In another way, though, I would rather go into this game expecting nothing... so maybe there's a part of me that just wants to think that Trench Warfare won't be interesting so I (and others) can only be happily surprised. I still remember getting some hate mails about Chokage, and I found them more hilarious than anything (how could I satisfy someone who doesn't like humour and cartoony stuff anyways? lol); so I do see your point about how negative feedback can be fun to read sometimes. I'm not expecting anything from you, so if you game turns out be something I like... great; and if it doesn't - I'm sure you'll get alot of praise from others anyways. So, if you ever get more cravings to work on your game, and get around to finishing it one day; good luck with everything! Smile
thejosh
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:05 am

heh heh awesome! I've been putting some work into it sparingly so I don't get stressed or bored with it. Anyways Chris, I always look forward to your comments, they make me think Mr Green

I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:31 am
   Subject: Sign 'o' life

GOD DAMN I'm tired, no. . .no download yet. I've been playing too much call of duty, but to a possible good effect, I'm attempting to have more action(ish) scenes in the game, like firefights and such. So instead of a "run along and kill everything" type of gameplay it's more like, "Run along and kill everything (AND WATCH COOL S**T HAPPEN) Very Happy Ha

Here's a pic, you can see two american soldiers fireing at a german bunker, also the kar98k bolt action rifle Twisted Evil (Nevermind the ugly ground texture I made that at 3am last night and it's definately getting fixed) Embarassed The soldiers can't hurt the germans but maybe someday. . . who knows Surprised

Also, I saw all these cool menus with background images so I figured I'd give it a try. Ha I started in high detail then converted it and that was pretty depressing Mr Green

And I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before but I have also been working equally on TW2, more info on that next update Twisted Evil
Not even I know when TW will be released but if you want a rough estimate, I'd say sometime this year Wink

Same screenshots at ModDB and on the TW page

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:48 am
   Subject: Re: Sign 'o' life

You know what the first thing that was going through my head before I read this post of yours? Here's what I was thinking...

"Gee, I wonder if thejosh is drunk! Cause you know, it's new years and all - maybe he got wasted or something and this message is full of energy and crazy things that don't make any sense. YEAH!" *clicks on the message*

Well, I'm not sure if you were intoxicated when you wrote this, it's tough to tell. There's obviously some pretty cool wording and ideas that don't normally spout so from the mind of thejosh with such intensity in this message (haha). Oh well, hope you had a great New Years man! Thanks for posting this little TW tease. Smile
thejosh
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:52 am

Ha Ha well la little but a little liquid motivation never hurts ;I finally updated Very Happy

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:59 am

Nice screenshot and menu thejosh. Smile
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:17 am

Just one word:

AWESOME!!

Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:29 pm

Very nice, very nice. Looking forward to it. Smile
One thing you might want to make sure you do, though: Even if the soldiers don't hurt the Nazis, make sure you get them to stop firing after all the Nazis they are firing at are dead! Otherwise it'll look just plain silly Wink
Another thing you could do with the soldier concept: If you are unable to make them actually hurt the Nazis, you can make a pretty damn good illusion with some bonus items that only enemies can pick up that cause them to take damage or die (invisible of course); or perhaps you could set up timed death of one or two nazis... and maybe timed death of a soldier*... mmm! this is all very exciting! Keep up the good work man, and keep in mind that these are only suggestions, and not orders! Very Happy
*One way to do this is to go to the Wl_act2.c and, where the soldiers' "directions" are (frames and such), make it so there is a random check for death in between firing frames. If you do this, then DEFINITELY make them stop firing after the nazis are dead! However, for this method, I'm assuming you made the soldiers actors. You could also do something similar with reloading, such as making it so that after 8 (or however many) frames of actual gun fire, the soldier ducks down and reloads. Combining all these methods would make quite an interesting firefight!

Topics: 164

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:31 am
   Subject: Re: trench warfare ?

Last edited by Thomas on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
thejosh
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:47 am
   Subject: 2 years for nothing? Dont think so.

lol I'm not going to quit. . . even if it takes until christmas. . . 2075 Razz
I appreiciate the support and all, but I don't know why you would bump a year old topic to say that, after TW was just updated days ago. What?

Plus I was kind of hoping this thread would die after a year, it's a bit of a downer Smile Thanks though.

Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:56 am
   Subject: Re: 2 years for nothing? Dont think so.

Possum Trot wrote:
One word: Dont quit the game!!!

thejosh wrote:
I appreiciate the support and all, but I don't know why you would bump a year old topic to say that, after TW was just updated days ago. What?

@Josh: I guess the answer is as obvious as his post in the first place. Reading and Writing Comprehension. I count 4 words or 1 sentence...

@Possum... Please read all the posts in a thread before posting and "Bumping" topics. This topic was dead ages ago and replaced by the newer thread on TW. You seem to be bumping many a dead thread with simple 1 sentence remarks. Are you trying to increase your post count for some reason? If yes.. please stop.. Quality posts are prefered over quantity and around here, the ranks have no real meaning.

Greg
BrotherTank
Forums Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:47 am
   Subject: Re: 2 years for nothing? Dont think so.

BrotherTank wrote:
Please read all the posts in a thread before posting and "Bumping" topics. This topic was dead ages ago and replaced by the newer thread on TW. You seem to be bumping many a dead thread with simple 1 sentence remarks. Are you trying to increase your post count for some reason? If yes.. please stop.. Quality posts are prefered over quantity and around here, the ranks have no real meaning.

Greg
BrotherTank
Forums Admin

Why don't you use Lock topic to closed those topics that been over 1 year old without bumping affected on any old topics... (not delete those topic, just keep topic open for everyone to read, not post something in those.....)

Just give you an idea.. Wink

[EDIT] I have to agree about bumping topic. Many times, when new members happens to bump these topics without read entire the topic. [/EDIT]
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:56 am

Ummm... Lets see... because I'm not the "moderator" of this area....

I hope that reason will suffice...

Greg
BrotherTank
Commodore
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 15
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:25 am

As a moderator on another board I also know that locking old topics is a pain in the backside.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 108
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:08 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I noticed the status bar from september is gone. Can we download it since your not using it? The drawing was spectacular.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: