DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

What is your favorite level from Spear of Destiny?
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Spear of Destiny View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:26 pm
   Subject: What is your favorite level from Spear of Destiny?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Tough choice. Level 6 and 15 seem to take the longest to beat, which is really cool -- and Level 9 is just awesome because you can plow through all the secret passages to save time (great layout). I love Level 11 because it seems so huge and you get to explore the outside and find those crazy treasure stashes on the corners of the towers. The concept of Level 3 is cool... a cave-in?! haha. The boss levels are pretty damn challenging, especially the Ubermutant level; that level always gives me trouble! It's fun to race through that level... same with Level 20, with all it's secret passages to confuse the player. Level 17 is pretty plain, but a nice, relaxing change from the ongoing complications of 11+; although it's still challenging in terms of enemies. Level 19 has some pretty cool traps and nice 'wanding off into the unknown' areas, although I'm not particularly fond of it's music (real jazzy like some of the keen stuff). The idea that you're actually supposed to RUN PAST the Death Knight on Level 18 to get the health/ammo is really cool. Level 13 has a really different kind of feel to it, I can't really explain it; reminds me of a cross between E5L6 and E6L8 but alot darker. I also like levels 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, and eugh.... I guess I like every level in Spear of Destiny, lol -- they all have their own special features that you start to love and appreciate after awhile. Smile

Just out of curiousity, has anyone actually tried to race through the entire game? I'm still practicing, but I've managed to get 13:53 on 'Don't Hurt Me' and 18:46 on 'Bring Em On' so far without saving at all. Very Happy If you DO save, you're in trouble anyways because the program will give you an incorrect total time that only adds up the first 8 levels (fooey!). I guess no one has actually raced through the game enough to notice this bug haha...

Stay cool,

Chokster37

Last edited by Chris on Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 30

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:33 pm
   Subject: Re: What is your favorite level from Spear of Destiny?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Yea a lot of the levels on Spear are great. I think a lot of them are better than Wolf 3D. A lot harder... but more fun. I especially like the one where you start out in an elevator and as soon as you step out there are two one way corriders about 4 blocks long and at the end of each is a well. There are tons of mutants in a hallway behind the wells and it's tough to play (about as hard as it is to explain Confused )

I also like the Ubermutant level. It's just put together very well. His (Ubermutant's) room is really cool because it's like a giant, high-security cell. Sehr Prima!

The hell level beats all the other levels into the ground. Once I arrived my hands got clammy and I knew the end was near. Angel of Death scared the shiznit outta me... but then I blew his brains out. Laughing

Zach
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:43 pm

When I first saw the hell level I was like, "Oh, man! I've done screwed up and gone to a secret level!" (I thought so because I killed the Death Knight in about a minute) and then I thought, "hmm so... what am I lookin for and wtf are these?!?" (in reference to the ghosts) and I got really angry because they wouldn't die, then I heard the AOD say "Do your worst, human..." but I couldn't find him. Almost used all the ammo in the level (which, am I the only one who finds it strange that Hell is littered with food and 9mm ammo?) Confused

EDIT: What the hell? I used to write like that?! A few grammar corrections... can't let THAT get out...

Last edited by Dugtrio17 on Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Master
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 14
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:07 pm

16, 17, 18.

I haven't played it in a long, time, though, so I need to go play it again.
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:38 am

Same here. That's why I couldn't remember what levels they were lol. Except for the boss ones which are a given. Plus I'm too lazy to crack open the map files and find out. Very Happy

I really don't know why Spear of Destiny was so underrated. It's awesome.

Zach
Schabbs
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 33
uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:04 am

I still find level 2 the best one. I like the layout and the use of the guards. But there are many others that I like nearly as much.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:38 am
   Subject: Expanding upon answers...

That's cool Brian. I enjoy level 2 too! I remember when I first played the SOD demo, level 2 just got me so excited to buy the full version. It does have a really cool layout, with all those long hallways that go around the level; and the placement of the guards on Death Incarnate really keeps you on your toes. Just from trying to battle the guards on level 2, I actually got a deja vu feeling of how it felt playing Wolfenstein way back in 1992; when 3d technology was a totally new thing. I think my best time on that level was 0:27 seconds on Bring Em On, but I might have gotten a better one... I'd have to play it again to make sure. Great memories! Smile

Before I noticed that Hitler picture beside the door to the keys (on level 2), the similarity of the 3 main rooms was pretty confusing sometimes. Spear of Destiny levels have alot of cool layout tricks in them like that; stuff you notice alot more if you've been playing just wolf3d levels for a long time. I remember the first time I played level 2... I thought it was IMPOSSIBLE to get 100% secret ratio and was going to call ID to tell them there was a bug in the game - lol. Turns out that the secret passage I missed was on an 'inner' red wall that I just never pressed at the time, heheh. Confused

The floor you're talking about with the 'Mutants behind the barrels' sounds like level 15 Zach. That level is awesome, probably the climax of challenge for the entire Spear adventure. I can only beat that level in around 1:30... even when I know exactly where I'm going! It's obscure layout ideas are incredibly neat, and I'm not just talking about the beginning section either...

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:47 pm

Floors 4, 9, 14. The atmosphere and music mix together well.
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:43 am

I envy you... is there NO way to get sound to work on Windows 98!?!!?!? Cool

Zach
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:57 pm
   Subject: Level 19!

It's been actually a while since I last played Spear of Destiny; however, I do recall my favourite level was 19, the first secret level. I still remember part of its layout, and most of the music. Pretty good in my opinion.

Arielus.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 53

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:15 pm

17, 18, and 21.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:20 am

I favor 2,7,and 19
wesdesjardins

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:14 am

The Ramparts and Dungeon 3
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:02 am

Quote:
(which, am I the only one who finds it strange that Hell is littered with food and 9mm ammo?)

Of course it's not strange...ever played Doom? All manner of ammo is generously scattered around the realm of Hades, as well as lots of nice health items. That's where rogue third world nations get their supplies from... Laughing

The devil said:

Quote:
"Hey, guys! I couldn't help but notice your string! Majik Monkee is right...vice is more profitable than legitimate business, that's why we here at hell are so big on arms dealing, and the promotion of the destruction of the world, thus the huge stockpile of ammo! We tried selling girl scout cookies for a while, but it just wasn't paying the heating bill! Hope this helps!

the devil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:04 pm

ack wrote:
After re-reading Choksta's post I figured I'd try a speed game. Managed 13:27 on the wimp level. One sitting, no saving. Does wonders for the carpal problems Laughing

As for favourite levels? Level 16 is one of the all time best boss levels (JMHO). Everything is well placed (guards, ammo, health) and those pillars make surviving a real pain. I like 9 because you can cruise through it easily with the way all the secrets are in place. 11 was also a favourite because it was so much fun to find everything. I hated 12, even though the design was nice. Every time I push the wall heading to the secret elevator I end up blocking the door (I know, I know... I have to correct that little stack problem on my own).

Okay Chris... I have thrown down the gauntlet. You have a new time to beat (and I'm still working on beating your Wolf times!). Saved game is available on request.

*hides pegleg*

*hides pegleg*

Is there nowhere I can put this pegleg? Twisted Evil

Now then.

Mr Green

Is there *anyone* that can rival Choksta for speed in any Wolf3d game?

-uso.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:37 pm

usotsuki wrote:
Is there *anyone* that can rival Choksta for speed in any Wolf3d game?

Yeah...MCS... Smile
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:56 pm
   Subject: Ahhh, I'm finally met my equal....

lol. That's excellent! You might be surprised usotsuki... ack is quite the roadrunning speed-devil (I think he's even faster than Jack and Gary, my classic racing buddies)! He's even raced through ALL of Spear: Resurrection without saving, and gotten under 30 minutes (something I haven't even tried yet; but is definately on my list for the near future). As for MCS, I've always thought he was more of a score kinda guy (which is something that I really enjoy too; especially when par times and huge treasure stashes are involved).

Glad to see you're having fun with this great game - and it was cool to hear which levels were your favorites! I'm definately having fun with my special experiment (woo, 7 levels to go). As for your description of level 12, I believe that if you press the secret passage in the opposite order; it doesn't block the elevator (nomatter how many spaces it moves). It's cool that you found out that going to the secret level saves time. You have some pretty incredible stategies! I even go to level 19, it seems to push me down near the 50 second mark; haha. Well, good luck with all these wild adventures man! Smile

Last edited by Chris on Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:58 am

With 21 levels to choose from, I'd have to say my favorite level was level 14. My second favorite would have to be 11. I just liked the level design of both levels. Something I liked about level 11 though was the fact the you could make your way out to this open area (more like a large square hallway) and had a spot where there was barrels and trucks blocking the outside.
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:27 am

I wondered what that truck back sprite was for...I just got done replacing all the sprites in SOD for my TC, and there were several that I didn't remember seeing...I must have whized right past them...(I wasn't racing, though!) Laughing

I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 31
philippines.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:13 pm

I really like level 15. Mutants attack you blind sidedly and it is hard to attack because they are covered with barrels. cool eh?

Mr Green Mr Green Mr Green Mr Green Mr Green Mr Green Mr Green Mr Green

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:10 am

My Faviorate Level,Has To Be Floor #18.I Mean C'Mon. Sarcastic You Fight Not Only Death Knight,But Afterwards You Gotta Capture The Spear And Take On That Dude With A Tude That Can Ruin Your Weekend.(By The Way,The Dude With A Tude,Is The Angel Of Death.)
Sweat. Cool

I AM THE LORD OF THUNDER.MY NAME IS DAVIDSSON, JEMANIE DAVIDSSON. Thunderstorm
AReyeP
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 23
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:29 am

For those of you having problems with game crashes/weird behaviour etc after continuously playing through the game without saving/exiting the game/restarting, I seem to remember MCS telling me some time ago of a problem with the original Wolf (and that is inherent in the code) where problems like this can occur after extended periods of play through a number of levels. I seem to remember the problem can be fixed through quitting the game then restarting and loading your last save.

MCS would be able to explain it better than I could!

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 1
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:33 pm

My favorite level is 16 because it is a challenge on hard mode to survive even in the beginning. My next favorite is level 18 because it is a challenge to get by Death Knight also on hard mode with all of the enemies in the room and I like fighting Death Knight one on one. My least favorite level is 12 because of that one secret that you push either blocks treasure or the secret level.
Martin
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 8
poland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:37 am

Besides, what's going on with MCS? I haven't hear from him lately. Neutral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:53 pm

Martin wrote:

I think MCS still working on End of Destiny projects with Brothertank Wink I just guessing what he is doing... Cheesy Grin
Mikey X
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:39 am

I think level 17 is kinda strange just because it is pretty small, but I think it is a break after you beat Ubermutant and before you face Death Knight and the Angel of Death.
AReyeP
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 23
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:04 pm

Martin wrote:

He's absolutely flat out at work, and coupled with family commitments etc, doesn't get nearly as much free time as he used to.

I'm extremely lucky. The nature of my work (security) means I'm often sitting in a control room environment in between patrols/paperwork etc, so where as other guards spend this time reading the paper, I'll spend it working on Wolf. Plus I'm lucky to find an hour or so each day at home.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:36 pm

AReyeP wrote:

I'm extremely lucky. The nature of my work (security) means I'm often sitting in a control room environment in between patrols/paperwork etc, so where as other guards spend this time reading the paper, I'll spend it working on Wolf. Plus I'm lucky to find an hour or so each day at home.

Lucky Indeed. I want a job like AReyeP's: Lots of free time to do whatever I want. Smile
Mikey X
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:31 am

I didn't like the second secret level, too many pushwalls and lots of ways to get prevented from all of the cool secrets.
experiencedgamer
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 4
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:54 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

My favorite level? My favorite level is 17. Level 2 is good also.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Spear of Destiny View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: