DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Ideas for the "Wolfenstein" section
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:20 am
   Subject: Ideas for the "Wolfenstein" section
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Just curious, is there anyone that has any ideas for making this place look better than it already is? Not sure, maybe it looks perfect to you guys already; or maybe there's ways that can make it feel more organized... that's what I'd like to know.

I've been moving a few threads ("imf2midi converter", "How do you tackle new maps?", "[Poll] Bosses from HOS") to their correct locations, and merging some topics of similar nature into the same thread (Dark Maverick addon, Vertilgung, Gott Hand, trench warfare) - just to make it easier for people to find what they're looking for. Some old personal messages that have been answered and fullfilled have been removed; as I'm gonna try to limit this section to around 2 pages (or 1000 posts?) to keep with MCS's database limitation. It's pretty tough though, as there's alot of great topics here.

If there's any addons that you're not working on anymore, and want their thread removed to make room for others, just let me know. If you have any other ideas on how to save space without sacrificing some of these great topics (or have some particular threads that you think aren't useful), let me know that too. As I said, I'll consider everything; as long as most of the people involved agree to it.

I've been talking to Brothertank about the idea of getting more space, but I'm not getting my hopes up. It's totally up to MCS, as he pays for the place - so for now, perhaps we can have a vote as to which topics are the most obselete. Does anyone have any views about which topics are most / least worthy? I don't want to resolve to deleting old threads if they're good ones; if you know what I mean. Any feedback is appreciated. Smile
Mikey X
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 1
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:58 am
   Subject: Re: Ideas for the "Wolfenstein" section
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Isn't there about 2 or 3 threads each for Kreml 3D and HOS that are in this part of the forum Question
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:11 pm

Yup. There was one for "Cheats in HOS"... which is already described in the bigger thread, and one in the Spear section (10 posts), which said mainly the same things Majik wrote in the big thread - with people arguing: "why do you have to make two threads?"; lol. Only the large thread has been preserved; and Barbara's funny thread about Hos bosses (which is now in Polling Booth - so whoever the moderator will be there can merge or delete that stuff as they wish). Very Happy

As for Kreml 3d, yup, there's two threads in this section. The new one will definately stay, I'll wait for Martin's approval about the old one... if we should merge it, delete it, or just leave it as is for now. Would save alot of room to get rid of it (as it's 50 posts - and hasn't been used since the new thread arrived), but I'll wait and see what Martin has to say about the idea.

Last edited by Chris on Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mikey X
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 1
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:16 pm

I'll check for anymore threads that have doubles or even triples.

- There's 2 threads about Operation Zeitgeist, I think there's 2 threads about something else but I'm not sure on which.
- There's 2 threads about PV update. Also I think there's a couple of threads that haven't been responded to since October. Wink
Martin
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 8
poland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:58 pm

Chris, man, I think it would be good to delete the posts (the whole thread) about Kreml 3D, as nobody used or visited it for ages, I think. Do whatever you want, man!

Martin

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:26 pm

Alright, as you wish Martin. If you ever want the old thread, I have it backed up on my computer for you (there's some interesting conversations in there that we might want to look back on someday). Smile

Thanks for the info Mikey X. I think some of those threads you mentioned just wouldn't feel right together (as they're somewhat different topics); but I'll wait for any more suggestions and to see if it would be intelligent to do anything with them - and I'll leave them as they are for now. Like you said though, the October stuff is another thing that might have to get pruned in the near future if no one responds to them. Neutral Any other ideas?
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:05 pm

Personally, I'd just merge them, seeing as they are all about the same game. Even Martin's thread... just merge it with the other.. No need to prune these areas right now.. The main culprits to database size are "Howling" and "Code Crackers".... I'm taking care of the code stuff now...

These areas we haven't been pruning, unless it's just babble between friends that is way off the original topic. I also remove stuff like responses where it's just a smiley face..

Greg
BrotherTank
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:38 pm

Ok thanks Greg. I believe that Wolfenstein 3d is pretty high on the list (seems like it's taking up more room than Howling Wolf - or pretty close to it), but Code Crackers definately takes the cake. Would be nice to see more "original" wolf3d conversations here (and not just people plugging their addons), but there's not much we can do about this unless we start some good ole classic wolf3d conversations ourselves. Smile

I'll probably just keep this thread up for a few days, so people can state their opinions about this; than I'll delete it, and replace it a General Guide for how to go about posting information relating to TCs / Addons - to avoid seeing the general "Play my game!" and "I need help!" comments as much (some people have mentioned that they're starting to find those a little annoying).
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 30

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:58 pm

How about a section for mods? Conversion Corner anyone? Wink Mod Machines... I dunno. We had one for every Wolf 3D based game and it would clear things up a lot... I mean it's a hot topic... new mods, that is. Kreml here, HoS there, PVII peein on the fire hydrant.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:16 pm

Zach Attack wrote:
How about a section for mods? Conversion Corner anyone? Wink Mod Machines... I dunno. We had one for every Wolf 3D based game and it would clear things up a lot... I mean it's a hot topic... new mods, that is. Kreml here, HoS there, PVII peein on the fire hydrant.

It's an idea... I'll pass it by the powers that be...

Greg
BrotherTank
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:09 pm
   Subject: Addons and Wolf3d...

I've always wondered if having an "Addons Section" would work out better too. The names you picked were pretty catchy Zach, especially "Conversion Corner". I just assumed that there wasn't a section for Addons because MCS / Brothertank didn't want the forums to be cluttered with them - and that DHW was a place to discuss mostly topics relating to AReyeP / MCS addons ("Our Projects"); aside from the other regular wolfenstein related things.

It seems like everyone is talking about their addons anyways; and this has become an accepted part of the Wolfenstein 3d section. Not sure if separating the sections would be better or not. Like you said, it's a hot topic... even though most other wolf3d forums (not run by people in this 'community') hardly ever talk about addons. Go search the web for other Wolfenstein conversations and clubs with people you've never heard of, and you'll see what I mean. Ironic, isn't it? Anyways, if you guys still remember, Tristan's old forum had an Addons topic in the mix. Here's how it was organzied (just for referance):

Dome Forums wrote:
General Forums

- General
You can discuss Wolfenstein 3-D, Spear of Destiny, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, other Wolfenstein sites, etc. here.
- Add-ons discussion
Discuss the release, features, problems etc. of add-ons here.
- ThE KraZzY TaVeRn - OfF-tOpIcNeSs
Want to talk about anything not related to Wolfenstein? Have the urge to talk virtual mindspinnings? Here you can post everything off-topic. Off-topic means "nothing related to Wolfenstein".
- Polls
Put up your POLLs related to anything.
- Wolfenstein Revolution
Post here everything about the "Wolfenstein Revolution", based on your own construction projects to bring Wolfenstein into present day.
- Project Announcing
Here you can announce any Wolfenstein projects you have in the works, or that you will start work on.

Wolfenstein Editing

- Pixelmeister Core
Here you can ask questions about graphics creation, graphics editing or good graphics-sites.
- The Coding Alliance
Here you can ask questions about source code files, the source code or help you need with a project of your own.
- Mapper Masters
Here you can ask questions about level design tactics, bugs and so forth.
- Clustered Writers
Here you can share your Wolfenstein storyline ideas and storylines you are writing. Also possible is to submit articles that may give people ideas.

Dome Related

- Forum Announcements
If you want to know what's going on around the forum now, check out the announcements to find out.
- Website-Related Announcements
If you want to know what's going on around the Wolfenstein 3D Dome website now, check out the announcements to find out.
- Questions and troubleshooting
Discuss questions concerning all problems you may have. Sound card problems, unable to install add-ons, etc.
- The Dome and You
Here you can post and discuss any comments and suggestions, bugs, missing pages, spelling errors or other problems related to the Wolfenstein 3-D Dome.

I really don't remember if it worked out better over there, so I personally have no idea if this would be a good idea or not. It's an interesting idea though, that I'm sure alot of other people have thought about. Of course, people could always just create their own websites or post their addons on Mr. Lowe's News, and get feedback by email... but everyone wants to discuss them here; which is an approach that makes sense (as many people come here, and are looking for feedback on their own creations).

Anyone else have any views about Zach's comment? I think I'll unstickify this topic; and let this thread go down the isle of the Wolfenstein section and get pruned into oblivion if no one else has anything to say about the matter. If you have an ideas, though, feel free to post them here (no, don't send me any more 'secret' emails Martin! Post your comments on the proper threads so that others can comment on them - lol). Smile
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:07 am

I can't find it currently, but I thought there was a string for "Yodastein"...well, you can trash that...that project has been given the stake through the heart and had it's head cut off. I know I resurrected the idea of doing it again briefly, but I'm turning it into an RPG instead of an FPS.

I agree...there's a lot of "fat" worth being cut out here...I can tell it's getting done, too, because my listed posts are reduced by about 100 a day...Laughing Maybe that says something about how I spend my time. I almost feel bad having that HOS thread there taking up so much space, but as Chris said, there was some interesting dialogue in it, and in cases like this, when there's a string that goes from the conception of a mod to when it's already finished, it's interesting for newcomers (as I was) to read them about games that have been around for a while when they join the forum.

As for ideas for further improvements, well, sorry...can't help you. I'm one of those folks who gets used to something being a certain way, and feels out of their element when it changes. Whatever changes you make, though, I'm sure will be for the better, though, so the best of luck! Very Happy

DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 30

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:17 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well the Dome had two sections for mods. One for announcing and one for discussion. Kind of awkward but I think it would separate a lot of junk. I'm surprised so few people care about this subject...

I had an idea for a forums setup: Small but effective.

::GENERAL & SITE RELATED:::

:General/Off Topic:
- Not sure where to post, or just want to talk about anything? Wilkommen.

:Announcements:
- If there's anything you need to know about the forums, you'll find it here.

:Feedback:
- Not the annoying screech! The place to post your suggestions, concerns, problems, etc. with DHW.

:Polling Booth:
- Wondering what everyone think of something, someone (well...), or someplace? Make a poll!

::WOLFENSTEIN AND SPEAR OF DESTINY:::

:WolfenChat:
- Have something to say about the original game or anything relating to it? Post here.

:Modifications:
- Want the world to know about your upcoming add-on? Have at it.

:Editing:
- Coding, drawing, mapping, composing? Read and rant about it here.

:Help!:
- Stuck in level? Unlikely. Smile But if you are or are having any problems relating to the game, this is the place to be.

I don't know about the Editing section though... I mean... it might get really cluttered since there's a lot of talk about editing. It's usually about coding but combine that with Art and Mapping and such it could get pretty big. I'd have to see it in function.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: