DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Latest Changes - As of Most Current Post
Page 2 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> News & Forum Rules View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:43 pm
   Subject: Re: Latest Changes - As of Most Current Post
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

ack wrote:
@ Greg

Sorry man... didn't know. Happy Birthday!
Cake

As for CC... brother, I don't have the words. I hope somehow you find peace out of this. God's speed.

Thanks ack... I don't have the words either... But Zach has sure opened my mind (which is good because for the last two weeks I've been in a cloud because of CC). Great birthday present from God this morning... CC wasn't moving, wasn't aware, wasn't much of anything.. It was like he finally gave up. Then after holding him for 2 hours, he started to come around. He actually wanted to eat... And then (because of the stroke) he stumbled around... You have to watch him because he has no real balance... Today is his birthday too... or at least that is the date mom gave when she registered him for me. 2 years old.. and wont see 3. On the other hand, I have my Mom who suffers from clinical depression (who I look after because of that and her Agoraphobia and Panic Disorder) and her meds aren't working right. The doctor can't change them as the CC thing has her all stressed out too... So... life around here isn't pleasant... I could go on... but you wouldn't believe the rest of it and I'm sure that there are those that would say... "Oh he's just looking for sympathy".... Actually... this rambling is more venting... so that I get it out and stop it from destroying what's left of my mental health right now.

As for my Birthday (40th)... Thanks... I don't usually announce it, but with the frustration of everything round here, and here at home, I was pissed and let it slip out. It's ok... I know you didn't know.. and not many others did either.. But thanks for the kind words... And good to see you here too..

Greg
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:05 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Sorry Ripper, I re-read my answer to you and didn't answer properly. Sorry... my mind has been clouded with other things... But here I go and hopefully can answer your questions properly.

Ripper wrote:
What is it exactly about watching a thread? How will we be notified of changes?

Watching a thread - or clicking on that option - will email you telling you that someone has posted in the thread. Sorta like a reminder. If I can find a good working Mod that will e-mail the actual post to you, I might install that in it's place. But this feature was built into phpBB and hidden at the bottom of the page. Most people didn't understand what it did, and avoided it.

Ripper wrote:
And are the "next/previous topic" buttons really working as they are supposed to be?

I hope they are... they were when I tested them the other day. Again, these were always there, but made them a little more prominent. It allows you to go to the next thread or previous thread from the thread you are reading...

Ripper wrote:
Does it go to the thread containing the next/previous chronological sorted post? This surely would be a good idea, for many people, but I guess, there are many people like me, choosing the threads they read very "carefully" (like I never visited the SoD forum yet Mr Green).

But for those the view latest posts option is quite powerful...

Funny... lol... all these things were on the page, but it took me moving them around and sort of highlighting them that has made people notice. Yes, they are a great way of moving around the different threads, and yes, they move you based on the chronical order that you saw when you choose a specific topic to read (You can also sort the threads order on the view forums page at the bottom, there is a little option box in both the post and the posts listing that allow you to view it to your liking). So if you chose the 5th topic down in the viewforum... then you could go back 4 previous threads with those buttons... (and yep, it gives a message if you try to go too far). I was actually thinking of making them graphic buttons as well... like right and left arrow.. Make things a little neater.

For now though, I've just got those little arrows (up and down) on the right of the page that help people without a wheelmouse to move around things quicker).

Ripper wrote:
Ah, lost my point Mr Green So keep up the good work ;D

I am trying... I've been doing the stuff here on the forums to get my mind off of CC... so that I'm not dwelling... gives me something to do and takes away the pain and frustration for a little while. I would be doing the Bunker... but he (CC) was always there helping (or at least he thought so) when I was doing that. I will return to that shortly.. I promise that the site will be completed...

Hope that answers all the questions... And feel free to fire more at me... Glad to answer them... and if there is anything I can do to make the forums more usefull, then I'm happy to try and find a solution...

I know... evil green to those numbers... Smile Very Happy

Greg
BrotherTank
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:47 pm

BTW... here's CC and me.. Tigger came to make sure he was ok too...

Click the picture to enlarge...

Greg
BrotherTank

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:00 pm

Happy birthday. Sorry about CC. Requesting member rank to be changed to "Eater of Cabbage".

i like cabbage...

i really do.

Honestly.

MY birthday was on the fourth. Most people get baloons on their birthday, but guess what I got... That's right... A cabbage... I have twisted friends.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:05 pm

idclev wrote:
unbelievable Rolling Eyes these forums are great. the dessert storm skin is beautiful, the desiscion to remove the howling wolf forum was a good one(although i wasnt here when it happened), and the ranks are a great idea. i like how you dont just base them on post count, but also the way a member acts, or the things he does. i am very aprieciative that you have created a place like this(as well as the main site), and am shocked that anybody would feel otherwise. im sorry if its none of my buissiness as i have only been here a few days, but i just had to give you my two cents.

happy birthday Wink Cake

Thanks... for the cake...

Some people like the things you do, others don't. I try to fix things where I can, as I did for Ripper and the little numbers that he hated so... I don't see the things that I added a frivelous (spelling is off these days so bear with me)... The ranks were brought back because people like them. When we didn't have them, it didn't stop the spamming,.... so I got a little creative this time round.

And I know that none of the moderators are listed as moderators... they are.. When they post in an area that they moderate, the new programing gives them the rank of Moderator... Seeing as that is their area... When they post in another area where they aren't a mod, it gives them their actual rating.

But for the most part... I am glad that you like the setup...

And to all... if you don't like something.. that's fine... I can handle it... Just approach me with the subject using a little more tact than the message above that Zach posted. I quoted it complete so that even if he decides to edit it, the original will be there for all to see. So don't be afraid to say something could use a little work.. or a change... but the good comments are welcomed as well....

Greg
BrotherTank

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:11 pm

I wrote:
Requesting member rank to be changed to "Eater of Cabbage".

PLEASE?????????? THX.....

Island/Holiday <----This is the closest emoticon to a cabbage that you have. Crying or Very sad <HINT, HINT>
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:13 pm

Raistlenn wrote:
Happy birthday. Sorry about CC. Requesting member rank to be changed to "Eater of Cabbage".

i like cabbage...

i really do.
Honestly.

MY birthday was on the fourth. Most people get baloons on their birthday, but guess what I got... That's right... A cabbage... I have twisted friends.

Happy belated... Maybe I should install the birthday mod... it is something that I've been thinking about doing for a while.. Sorry I don't have a cabbage emoticon... or I'd sling one at you... will the Cake do... As for CC.. I'll post another picture tomorrow that I took about 5 mins ago... he's resting... for now.. But thanks for the kind words... He down... but not out...

Greg
BrotherTank
Crying or Very sad
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:59 pm

Brothertank wrote:
You on the other hand, want everything your way.. and if it isn't then you find something to bitch about. You find something wrong with every person that moderates you, questions you, or even disagrees with you.

That sounds alot like me. I try to be open to everyone's opinions, but if I find something seems wrong, I'll state my opinions about it - unless someone gives me a good reason not to. There are times when that doesn't seem to do any good (like about Reivax contradicting himself; where I don't seem to be getting through to him at all), but it's worth trying atleast once; just to see what kind of responces people will give out, so you'll know how to handle their comments in the future.

There's one manager at work that always act likes she knows everything, and says things like: "get back to work!" and "what are you doing right now?", even though she's not paying attention to what I'm actually doing... so I just keep making her look like an idiot all night, and asking her the same questions she asks me (to show her how annoying it is), and also questioning why she's telling me things without thinking about them... like general comments that could mean 100 things, like "Chris, clean the store!", which really means "sweep the floor now while there's 20 customers, it's not dirty, and someone else is using the broom"; or when she says to stop talking when I'm working hard AND talking about IMPORTANT THINGS DEALING WITH THE ACTUAL CUSTOMERS. I find her more amusing than anything, and tell everyone that she loves me out loud in her moments of unintelligent anger... just to avoid any tension. Wink

If someone's gonna give the impression that they're right all the time... they better have good reasoning, or else all it will do is make people of the same nature (like Zach, Brothertank, and myself) want to do the same thing back at them in return. Not that I don't encourage stupidity, unless it's scarred with ego marks that don't really justify their opinion to a level that I agree with; atleast partially. Mr Green

Brothertank wrote:
I try to fix things where I can, as I did for Ripper and the little numbers that he hated so...

You mean the numbers 1-20 that showed which post you were on in the page? What? Don't all coders like numbers? Those were great, YOU FOOOL! And why don't you ever visit the SOD section? *kills Ripper and feeds him to the cows* Laughing

Brothertank wrote:
You got it... dislikes Everything... Nothing I can do is right in your eyes Zach... Never has been ... Never will be. And I've never said that I was the perfect saint. So... in the immortal words of the picture above this post... STFU!

You know, honestly, I was kind of happy when you didn't stop showing up for awhile too Zach. Maybe it's just because of some of our own arguments together lately (which we never really seemed to reach an agreement on), but it was really nice that I didn't have to look at someone that I was on bad terms with for awhile.

I'm sure the feeling is mutual for you too, but I do see why Brothertank gave you a different rank. If Greg didn't do anything, you would be classified as a "DieHard Wolfer", but if you look around, most of your deepest posts don't have anything to do with Wolfenstein 3d... same with most of your one liners. If anything, alot of other people here have contributed alot more positive spirit towards the forum and it's intentions (and conversations about wolfenstein 3d), so I believe that they deserve to be on the bullets system more than you do.

This will probably just start a flamewar, knowing your desire to always prove people wrong. I know what to expect as a reply from you, and I know that you'll change it a little to make it seem unexpected, but I think I can live with this. So, do your 'usual Zach thing'; using new words to describe old arguments, whatever. Wink

Brothertank wrote:
2. It's my birthday and no one has said even "Happy Birthday" to me...
3. My cat CC is lossing a battle because of a stroke... and is slowly dying each day.

I don't really like saying Happy Birthday to people unless it's as a surprise. I didn't even buy my dad a gift last year because my mom nagged me about it even after I already wanted to buy him one! Argh, stupid nagging ruined everything original and unique about my plan. I just couldn't buy him anything after that, it's horrible... but it really means alot for me to do something for myself, without getting clouded from outside influences.

As for animals, uhhh... I didn't even feel anything when my cat passed away - it's weird for me to get emotional about that kind of thing. Your situation sounds a little different than mine, but I'm not going to say "hope CC gets better soon" or anything; as it's not really gonna do any good. It will just make things worse if CC doesn't make it, right? Nothing lives forever, so just keep doing what makes you happy.

Seems like this thread got enough feedback from these two things anyways. It's not like my contribution would make any difference. Everyone has problems, it's not like these ones should be known more than anyone elses. Confused
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:32 pm

Chris wrote:
Brothertank wrote:
I try to fix things where I can, as I did for Ripper and the little numbers that he hated so...

You mean the numbers 1-20 that showed which post you were on in the page? What? Don't all coders like numbers? Those were great, YOU FOOOL! And why don't you ever visit the SOD section? *kills Ripper and feeds him to the cows* Laughing

[Stuff Deleted...]

Seems like this thread got enough feedback from these two things anyways. It's not like my contribution would make any difference. Everyone has problems, it's not like these ones should be known more than anyone elses. Confused

Ok... how about a comprimise... I can put those little numbers back... but in a less intrusive place... how about after the little up and down arrows on the right of the screen... lol... if that is acceptable to both... lol... For Ripper, I can keep them small... and for Chris... I can make them viewable again.. lol... (actually they are still there - as they are the anchors for the up and down arrows). Smile

As for the Birthday and the CC section I omitted from your post... I understand completely. Not a problem...

As for the job... yep... had a few bosses like that myself. But in the molding field... you have a lot of other workers who like to slack, and the bosses just sort of use that tone with everyone... It's not nice, but you get used to it.

As to the flamewar... I hope not, but I agree with your post completely. I don't claim to be a saint... I loose it from time to time, but for the most part, I try to get along with everyone. And yes, I did like the absence... it was almost like a vacation. And yes... he was listed as a Diehard in rank until he asked for the change... I just gave him what he asked for...

As for the problems... yep... they are personal... but I just needed to vent them... get them out of my system... Sorry, as it really doesn't belong in a Wolfenstein forum...

Anyhow.. back to my little guy... And thanks Chris... it's posts like that that almost make me smile right now...

Greg
BrotherTank
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:13 am

Funny, it's true about what you said; you just have to put your cursor on the arrows and the link displayed shows the real number. Interesting! I find that the "Posted:" and "Post subject:" looks a little to squashed into the left without the numbers. Ah, it's no big deal though, keep the numbers off if you wish... I was just surprised that Ripper hated them so much. Shocked

The vertical ratio that the arrows on the right give to the headline (in combination with the "quote" image) makes the space inbetween the poster's writing and the headline seem like too much room for me, but that is somewhat justified by hiding the line that separates the two fields. I guess I just have to get used to this new setup.

Some features I really like though. One of those is the "Last Visited" message, which is great... because I used to always look in the statistics to see who's been online in the last little while, but it was hard to tell how long it's been since certain people have logged on - and it's great that it shows the most recent times to exact minute! Makes this place feel alot more "live to air". Too cool.

One thing that made me laugh was when I go to the forums sometimes, and my "DieHard Wolfers" rank has been changed to "Mod Config Error! (Auto Moderator Rank MOD) Inform Administrator!!" - nice touch. I thought it was intentional, but I noticed the same thing happen to Leo a few times. I still think it's funny though - it's like we hacked our way into becoming a mod. Wink

Zach Attack wrote:
How does this seem cool to anyone? Can you say, "mean"? Not to mention senseless.

I think I see what Brothertank is trying to do here. By giving people good and bad rankings, and letting them know that these rankings exist; it will encourage people to try not enter the "bad ones", so this way they'll think more before posting (using the usual styles of people with bad rankings as a general guide of what not to do)... and so that those who are already in the "bad ones" will want to improve upon their style to make this place better for everyone. By seeing all these "good" rankings, it will let these people know that they are exceptionally appreciated around here, and encourage others to try and contribute more; so that they can try to earn a similar title (which would take quite alot of work to get to; I'm sure). If these ideas are what you're after Greg, than I really like this strategy.

Brothertank wrote:
As for the problems... yep... they are personal... but I just needed to vent them... get them out of my system... Sorry, as it really doesn't belong in a Wolfenstein forum...

You and your cat share a special bond, and I admire that. One thing I've learned from friends, relationships, parents, animals, clubs and communities, is that nomatter how certain situations end up, there's always places where you can still share this kind of thing... the journey into this sense of belonging and support can always continue; as long as you want it to. There's always others looking for the same thing, in some way or another. Smile
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:22 am

Chris wrote:
Funny, it's true about what you said; you just have to put your cursor on the arrows and the link displayed shows the real number. Interesting! I find that the "Posted:" and "Post subject:" looks a little to squashed into the left without the numbers. Ah, it's no big deal though, keep the numbers off if you wish... I was just surprised that Ripper hated them so much. Shocked

Like I said... I can add them back in, in a smaller font to the right of the arrows... there is space there for them... But yeah... it was something that he mentioned a few times (once when they were installed and the second/third when I changed the layout.. ). And as you can see by his post... he's happy that they were gone... lol..

Chris wrote:
The vertical ratio that the arrows on the right give to the headline (in combination with the "quote" image) makes the space inbetween the poster's writing and the headline seem like too much room for me, but that is somewhat justified by hiding the line that separates the two fields. I guess I just have to get used to this new setup.

Still working on adjusting that... But I will see what can be done to compact that area down... again... another area that Ripper had mentioned as well....

Chris wrote:
Some features I really like though. One of those is the "Last Visited" message, which is great... because I used to always look in the statistics to see who's been online in the last little while, but it was hard to tell how long it's been since certain people have logged on - and it's great that it shows the most recent times to exact minute! Makes this place feel alot more "live to air". Too cool.

Yep... I liked that one too.... People kept saying to me, when was so and so last on.... And I would have to look at the user list in the admin panel or find the last post... With this it's so much easier.

Chris wrote:
One thing that made me laugh was when I go to the forums sometimes, and my "DieHard Wolfers" rank has been changed to "Mod Config Error! (Auto Moderator Rank MOD) Inform Administrator!!" - nice touch. I thought it was intentional, but I noticed the same thing happen to Leo a few times. I still think it's funny though - it's like we hacked our way into becoming a mod. Wink

Ah... ok... that is the other thing that broke... I tried to install another mod last night (a Beta, but it said it was working... only it didn't)... so I reloaded a few older files to get the site back working... Must have reloaded one without the portion for the moderator auto rank.. It was working two days ago... and it's not a big thing to re-install... working on it now...

Chris wrote:
Zach Attack wrote:
How does this seem cool to anyone? Can you say, "mean"? Not to mention senseless.

I think I see what Brothertank is trying to do here. By giving people good and bad rankings, and letting them know that these rankings exist; it will encourage people to try not enter the "bad ones", so this way they'll think more before posting (using the usual styles of people with bad rankings as a general guide of what not to do)... and so that those who are already in the "bad ones" will want to improve upon their style to make this place better for everyone. By seeing all these "good" rankings, it will let these people know that they are exceptionally appreciated around here, and encourage others to try and contribute more; so that they can try to earn a similar title (which would take quite alot of work to get to; I'm sure). If these ideas are what you're after Greg, than I really like this strategy.

That is exactly the reason for the ranks set as they are. You abuse people... you get the rank until it is deemed that you have stopped that action. As for the things like Code Master, and such... those can stay permanent... Unless someone doesn't want the rank. Those I felt were geared more to if someone really needed help with something. Although, the moderators and the admin also fit into some of those categories.

Chris wrote:
Brothertank wrote:

You and your cat share a special bond, and I admire that. One thing I've learned from friends, relationships, parents, animals, clubs and communities, is that nomatter how certain situations end up, there's always places where you can still share this kind of thing... the journey into this sense of belonging and support can always continue; as long as you want it to. There's always others looking for the same thing, in some way or another. Smile

We do... And even though he's only been with me 8 months, he is a Carbon Copy (hence CC) of my cat that died while I was in China. He bonded to me quickly, and I to him... So watching him loose this battle is like loosing a good friend, and also reliving the loss of my other cat (who I had for 14 years and wasn't here for her when she died). I do get attached to the animals... As just about every one that I meet seem to love me instantly...

Anyhow... off to fix the problems... if you spot any more let me know... One of the bugs fixed the Emoticons list back to "click here for the rest" which is something Adam wanted... Seems I forgot that loading all those graphics on a 56k connect takes a long time... and the popup is much better for those users.

Greg
BrotherTank

Posted -Consecutive Post AutoMerged- Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:01 am:

Ok.... looks like I got rid of the pesky bugs...

Just tested everything and it works....

Some of you may notice that this post is added automatically to my previous post.. That is because of another feature yet installed. If you post duplicate messages, or post one message after another (different post completely) and no-one has posted inbetween your last post... it is automatically appended to your last post with the "AutoMerge"

Greg
BrotherTank
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 30

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:09 am

Why do I hate you so? (Gr3g that is). Well mainly because I think you're pretty anal. I feel pretty bad for attacking you because it sounds like you've been through a lot of shit lately but I still very very very much dislike you. I'm usually a very forgiving person. Honestly I get pissed at myself for not keeping a grudge (usually against my sisters lol). But with you... it's like constant anal-ness towards everyone. No I take it back. Not constant... it's like I'll be ticked at you for a while and then we'll get along and I'll think "Well gee Gr3g's not such a bad guy after all" but then something else you do or say to me or someone else makes me pissed all over again. So I've pretty much resolved that I hate you as a person. Simple as that... I probably should leave. But really... this is probably the only community where I actually have a voice. I mean you join all these band forums and other things but it's so hard to gain... not respect... what's the word... you know what I'm saying? But here it's different. I can bitch and vent all I want and be a general tyrant that I would never be in real life or even on other forums. It's actually probably good therapy... or not. I don't really know. But this place allows me to blow off steam. And since it's technically just a bunch of typing-robots replying to me (yet another robot) it doesn't seriously bother me but it's exciting enough to keep coming back. But I don't remember doing it to this extent on other forums. I was never a problem at the Dome except for when WSJ pulled his censor thing on me (and only me... despite other instances of the SAME offense). So I still feel that I'm justified in that. But I can't think of any other time I've been a problem. I could probably count the number of people I flame and/or have/had a problem with on one hand... it's not as many as you make it seem.

And I don't remember ever saying I wasn't going to set up forums. When did I say that? Seriously, if I did I want to know. I might've forgotten. And we still might NOT make forums. That's private stuff anyways and YOU the preacher of taking disputes to private are violating your own rule... don't try to justify it, I know you will (Don't feel bad... the best of us justify everything we do, whether it's right or wrong).

Besides... my complaint this time was really about the forums. Not so much you Gr3g as a person. Just the modifications. Some of them are cool... but a majority of them are not. My opinion. If you don't like it you can go to hell. Simple as that.

@Leo... yeah man I'm a girl. You're a fukin homo... does anyone like you? Seriously... you're pissed more often than me... you just tend to use brainless one liners (more often. Cheesy Grin).

I'll reply to Chris later... the bell's about to ring...
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

Topics: 21
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:48 am

@BrotherTank: The new post header is (besides the numbers which don't annoy me anymore at this location, although they're still senseless, as they don't even tell the post number of the thread but of the page...) exactly what meant earlier! Really looks great ;D
But there's something wrong with the options header now Mr Green

@Zach: You talk about others being anal?!? Look at your own words! You're the one using anal language all the time and this starts being more than only annoying! If the only reason you come here for is making others feel uncomfortable and hated here, you're completely wrong at this place! I always counted you to the real DieHardWolfers, but lately you're loosing this "title" continously. This is just sad...
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:57 am

As you can see by Zach's rank...

He won't be posting here for a while... At least not until he can calm down, follow the rules (which aren't anal)... And give an apology to all those that he has offended.

His account has been disabled... And will stay that way..... He's either going to play by the rules... or find a new place to play.

As for his accusation of me not taking it to a PM.... Tried that route with him... So did Chris... but he says one thing via PM and another via the open forums....

Anyhow... I'm tired of dealing with that type of attitude, and I hope you all understand why I have done what is done.

Greg
BrotherTank

Posted -Consecutive Post AutoMerged- Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:00 pm:

Ripper wrote:
@BrotherTank: The new post header is (besides the numbers which don't annoy me anymore at this location, although they're still senseless, as they don't even tell the post number of the thread but of the page...) exactly what meant earlier! Really looks great ;D
But there's something wrong with the options header now Mr Green

Zach stuff deleted in quote because you are right,,... and it's sad...

Ok... so what can I do to the header or Options area? lol.... Give me an idea of what's wrong and I'll try and make it better.... The only thing I have going right now is this and waiting for my cat to die... so I'd rather be doing this...

Greg
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:24 pm

Here's what it looks like for me:

And what I thought it should look like:

The problem of course is the width. But didn't you already mention, that you perhaps wanted to replace "view previous/next topic" by symbols?
Perhaps there are other ways to seize down the width, too Wink

Also notice the white pixel at the right edge of the options header Mr Green
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:41 pm

Ripper wrote:
The problem of course is the width. But didn't you already mention, that you perhaps wanted to replace "view previous/next topic" by symbols?
Perhaps there are other ways to seize down the width, too Wink

Also notice the white pixel at the right edge of the options header Mr Green

Got ya... I was looking at it in 800x600.. I'll have to view it in the higher res as well... Part of the space you see is where I placed the buttons for moderating. Non moderators don't see them, but it's not dropping the space...

Now that I've seen the pics of what you see... I can and will work that problem out... I'll move the moderator buttons.. and tighten things up... the white space you see on the right... that is because in doing this... I must have missed or added an extra cell in the table... thanks for pointing that out too... At the 800x600 it really doesn't show... BTW... Have you checked out the new "DesertStorm" template... I still have some buttons left to convert... but that one is really looking sharp...

Anyhow... I'm off to fix that stuff now...

Greg
BrotherTank
TheTalentedMrLeo
Forum Administrator

Topics: 35
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:07 pm

@Zach ( And I know you can read this. ).

Glad to hear you aren't a girl, I was starting to wonder there for a moment. As for me being a "homo", that's your problem if you want to believe that I am, oh well. But you know, I prefer staying straight. Now, you can call me brainless for "one liners", but who's the real moron here? Am I the one holding infinite grudges for pathetic reasons? No. Am I the one getting pissed, but never letting it go? No. Am I the one getting pissed for no apparent reason? No. I don't hold grudges, and I certainly don't intend to. They don't get you anywhere in life, so I don't need to start. As for Greg being anal - Where are you getting this from, seriously? What are you smoking dude? You must be on something strong to be coming up with baseless accusations....
wolf3dbreaker
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 31
philippines.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:31 am

Forgive me if I am late Brother tank since I was late in loging onto the forums!!!!! Embarassed

Belated Happy Birthday and May GOd bless! Hope you will mantain your excellent performance on mantaining the forums! Wink Cake

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:52 am

There we go Ripper....

How does that look now.... I think I have come up with the best solution to the templates. I think I've solved the space issue that you were talking about. Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Hopefully it is Question

Greg
BrotherTank

-Consecutive Post AutoMerged- PostedThu Mar 11, 2004 12:00 pm:

I think I got it right.... Checked it again... and...

It looks good in both 800x600 and 1024x768 resolution modes....

So I updated it to all three templates...

Greg
BrotherTank
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:17 am

BrotherTank wrote:
I think I've solved the space issue that you were talking about.

Not really, you just saved 12 pixels. And why did those view post links become so huge??
Hmm, but perhaps it's the only way making it also viewable with 800x600 and such?
I don't know Wink

Btw, what strange timezone does the consecutive post automerger use?

Look at this:
Quote:
Posted: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:52 [10]
Post subject: Re: Latest Changes - As of Most Current Post

I have a timezone of GMT+1 and you probably have posted the second post at 18:00 in my time. So this 12:00 pm can't be GMT. Does it use EST or something like that??
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:31 am

Ripper wrote:
BrotherTank wrote:

Not really, you just saved 12 pixels. And why did those view post links become so huge??
Hmm, but perhaps it's the only way making it also viewable with 800x600 and such?
I don't know Wink

Look at this:
Quote:

I have a timezone of GMT+1 and you probably have posted the second post at 18:00 in my time. So this 12:00 pm can't be GMT. Does it use EST or something like that??

Hmmm... I will look into that... the font thing... When I looked at it in 1024x768 it didn't look that bad, and had no real empty space. I put the moderator buttons into the right hand side of the "Options:" header, so that they reduced the overall size of the option box. Hmm... I'll see if I can't make the font what it used to be... Smile but I don't think that is going to save too much space in height. But we'll give it a whirl and see what it does...

As for the automerge... I think it grabs the date from the original post, but has converted the merge post to my actual set server time of GMT-5 . Interesting... I didn't look at the logic of the mod, just installed it. Will have to give it a look and see if I can't get it to use the proper server time, or just take out the time completely...

Greg
BrotherTank
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:36 am

Speaking of the AutoMerge function (a side note)...
The forum doesn't email notify you or show you that there was a new post on the thread if you read the post and that person posts again (causing the automerge)... I'm guess becaue the forum views this as an edit instead of a post, and it doesn't notify people of edits (if I remember correctly). Or at least it didn't happen a day or two ago... maybe it does now...

Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:12 pm

Adam Biser wrote:
Speaking of the AutoMerge function (a side note)...
The forum doesn't email notify you or show you that there was a new post on the thread if you read the post and that person posts again (causing the automerge)... I'm guess becaue the forum views this as an edit instead of a post, and it doesn't notify people of edits (if I remember correctly). Or at least it didn't happen a day or two ago... maybe it does now...

I'll have to look into that... lol... And make sure that it sends out the notify's properly... if not... we can just remove the automerge...

Greg
BrotherTank
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:32 pm

Ripper wrote:
And why did those view post links become so huge??

View Post things? Huh? I don't see anything huge, maybe I'm missing something. I also use 1024x768... but I scaled it down to 800x600 and it looks fine. The word "Consecuative" could probably be left out, if you really don't like it being that long.

For what it's worth, I think the Automerge feature is great. People should really learn to put their stuff into single messages for most things anyways, so in a way... maybe others shouldn't be notified if people post twice. Perhaps only certain people should be allowed to get away without having their messages automerged? 80% of those messages are just one liners that the kids post a few minutes after their original post anyways. Neutral
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:40 pm

@Chris: I also like the automerge... but the notification would be useful...
Example (an extreme case):
March 1, 2003: I post "Hey new project!"
Everyone rushes to look... no one posts... but some people watch the topic
March 1, 2004: I post "It's done!" (lol)
Automerged...no notifications would be sent..

I myself am guilty of double consecutive posts, but only when I feel that those watching the topic should be notified... (ie: yet another !@#$ WDC update 2 hours after the last one Embarassed )

I like the automerge a lot, but notification after you read the first post would be good, IMHO.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:02 pm

Adam Biser wrote:
I like the automerge a lot, but notification after you read the first post would be good, IMHO

Heh. If you're a moderator, you can easily create a new topic in your forum, and than merge it into a topic of your choice in any forum; and people will be notified of the new post... without it being merged into the post before it. I have provided the moderators with an example of this. Try it out for yourself in the moderation section if you wish. Wink

EDIT: Just read your other reply Adam. Feel free to post it here too, if you think this should be an open discussion.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:27 pm

Ok... It should now notify you if you are watching a topic - when someone double posts and the automerge kicks in. I think I've programmed the solution properly.

Let me know how it works...

Greg
BrotherTank

Posted -Consecutive Post AutoMerged- Added:

Ripper wrote:
BrotherTank wrote:

I don't know Wink

Ok.... the topic sort form or selection box was the part causing most of the problem... I was trying to duplicate it at the top of the subject as well as the original on the bottom. Unfortunately, it didn't want to work out. So, I've removed that, but kept the other features. I think it will be more in tune with what you wanted... or at least I hope so.

Ripper wrote:

Look at this:
Quote:

Ah... yep... The automerge was posting the post generated date within the post itself rather than updating the database holder for the date of the post. So, when you viewed the post, it was text and not a value and as such, the php will not convert it to your timezone setting. That being a problem, I just changed the automerge message to read:

- Consecutive Posts AutoMerged - Added:

That should make it look a little nicer... and I hope that I fixed the topic watch so that people will also be notified of a consecutive post merge.

Greg
BrotherTank

-Consecutive Post AutoMerged- Added:

The colours of all the Folder Icons have been changed in the DesertStorm template...

Brown = Regular
Red = New
Green = Sticky
Gold = Announcement

Make sure to refresh your screens to get the latest updated set.

Now to finish the Moderator Icons.... Hopefully that shouldn't take too long. I think I got the hang of this. I'll be a pixel master in no time.. Laughing

Greg
BrotherTank

Ok.... Changed the graphics back in Desert Storm....

I changed the Title pic back to something Wolfenstein, seeing as many people wanted something relating to Wolfenstein there, rather than a "War" image that I though represented Desert Storm the name (ie the compaign or fight in Iraq).

Anyhow... with that changed, I also made sure that for those that were also wanting the chat window to pop up and use it's own... well, it does now...

So much for that... Enjoy the forums...

Greg
BrotherTank

Zach's ban has been lifted.... But he still needs to apologize to the members of the community and of course follow the rules of the forum. Abusing others will not be tollerated.

Greg
BrotherTank

Ok.... New stuff added.... 03-15-2004

For those who watch topics.... We now have the Topic Watch mod installed. This will allow you to turn off any or all topics being watched. Sorry still no email of the latest post (They've written Email entire thread to a friend, but not an individual email of the last post made) When I find one or they make one it will be installed.

I also took the time to fix the statistics mod - Well it wasn't broken, but the "Overview" was... So that is now fixed... and I also made it a little more user friendly - navigation wise.

I did a little rework of the navigation panel on any of the pages. Seems to work a little better overall (well, at least I think it does)...

Still waiting to hear your opinions... I've already fixed things as most have requested (or at least the best that can be done considering my knowledge of php programming).

Enjoy...

Greg
BrotherTank

Last edited by BrotherTank on Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:33 am

The Double post Automerge had to go... Sorry Moderators...

The post above this one shows why it's not working. I've posted 4 updates and it's not showing any as a new post to anyone.

My php programming skills aren't far enough along to allow me to fix some of the problems with this mod. It's not updating the time of the post, not updating it as a new post, even though I probably did have it working to notify topic watchers of a new post.

I'll keep plugging at it and will make it work somehow, but until I do, it's better that people can actually see that new posts have been made.

Greg
BrotherTank

PS: Read the previous message for all the latest updates...
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:55 pm

Ok... For those code buffs.. I created a mod that has been submitted to phpBB for release to the rest of the world. It is already installed and working on these forums.

You can now use the [ color ] command within the [ code ] bbcode and it will retain the formatting of your code... That's right.. Now all those creating code can show you exactly what code should go where inside a section of code by highlighting them with colours....

Here's an example: Lets say you were adding Ripper's shading routine to the code... I can say something like this... Add the "Blue" code within the wl_draw.c file as shown:

::: CODE :::
#ifdef DEBUGWALLS
unsigned screenloc[3]= {0,0,0};
#else
unsigned screenloc[3]= {PAGE1START,PAGE2START,PAGE3START};
#endif
unsigned freelatch = FREESTART;
   extern byte far shadetable[SHADE_COUNT][256];
   extern int LSHADE_flag;

long     lasttimecount;
long     frameon;

Hope that helps you as much as it will help me when I'm posting tutorials... Smile

Enjoy...

Greg
BrotherTank

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:04 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Thank you for add new color inside the code mode, this thing will reduce the confusion over all of us. as I hope it keep working w/o any errors occurs in that PHP.... Wink Smile
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> News & Forum Rules View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 2 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: