DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Latest Changes - As of Most Current Post
Page 3 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> News & Forum Rules View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:36 am
   Subject: Re: Latest Changes - As of Most Current Post
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I applied a little fix to the posting portion of the templates. As you can now see the input area will match your screen size, just as the output does when you view things. To some this may seem 'trivial', but to people adding code tutorials, this will help with your look at your code. I used to hate it when things wrapped in the old way the window was produced.

I applied this fix to all the templates....

So Enjoy...

Greg
BrotherTank
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:50 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

So is everyone happy with the changes made so far?

Anything seem out of place?
Graphics too large?
Is the formatting on the template you are using right?
Any other ideas that could be incorperated into the forums?

Just looking for your input....

Greg
BrotherTank
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:53 am

Today: Upgraded phpBB 2.0.6 to 2.0.7 - securities patches.

Sorry if anyone was unable to access the board while I did this.

Greg
BrotherTank
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:08 am

ack wrote:
My wish list is a short one. I was wondering if it was possible to have search results a little more refined. For example, if you were to do a search on something that is in the 'WDC' or 'Halls of Stonehenge Addon' threads, you would be directed to thread itself... both of which contain over 200 posts. I really don't have the energy to read through 10-12 pages to find for whatever it is that I was looking. Is it possible to have the search narrow down the results to individual posts? Even if it could be the single page on which the search criterion exists would help. That way I only have to skim through 20 posts and not 200 Wink

Everything else here is fantastic - nice job!

I'll see what I can find... I know that you can search for both '???? text' and 'author' at the same time, but I'll see if there aren't some search mods to help define things into a more narrow scope.

Greg
BrotherTank
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:48 am

Ok ack....

I updated the search with the only mods that were compatible with 2.0.6 phpBB...

To ALL: When searching....

It now adds the option to search only "Topic Starter" when searching with a Username...

Now you can also tell it to just search within the "Topic" as well as "Topic & Message" or "Message".

Remember this search is like any other search on the web where you can put "AND" or "OR" between words... So I hope this helps you out. The more information you give the search the more accurate the results...

I also rebuilt the search tables... So... things might be a little easier to find.

Greg
BrotherTank
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:55 pm

Oooppss... My bad... I installed the search mod updates, but forgot to upload the subSilver and SubTrail template adjustments... They are up now... so those using those templates now have access to the new search features...

And rebuilding the search tables really reduced the size of the database... by almost 6 Meg... Wow... I installed that mod to see what it would do, but I didn't think that it would have such a drastic change on the database size. Oh well.. there's another tast for me to do once a week... Smile

Greg
BrotherTank
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:03 pm

BrotherTank wrote:
And rebuilding the search tables really reduced the size of the database... by almost 6 Meg... Wow... I installed that mod to see what it would do, but I didn't think that it would have such a drastic change on the database size. Oh well.. there's another tast for me to do once a week...

Here's something interesting. Now, the results in the search feature will only show on the messages that have been created on the first 3 days of DHW's opening (it stops sometime during March 13th, 2003). Every thread that was started after that date is ignored from the search feature. Perhaps this is why the overall datasize decreaced so much?

Seems unrealistic that a buffer for all the search data would take up more than half the room on the forum, I didn't even know it would take up any data to search for things (figured it was incorporated within the original data that is displayed on the boards). Makes you wonder, was the Database Size ever really telling us everything?

I'm not even going to begin discussing some of my crazy theories about this one. Laughing

ack wrote:
Is it possible to have the search narrow down the results to individual posts?

The default "Display Results as:" is set to Topic, but if you switch it to Posts; it will show you the correct post from where the word was found in the thread. Was that what you're looking for? I couldn't really tell from your explanation ack.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:27 pm

I'll look into the search rebuild then Chris... As it says the mod is compatible with pbpBB 2.0.6

Not sure why it stops after only the first three days, but I intend to find out and fix it.. Smile

Greg
BrotherTank
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:50 pm

Anyone interested:

It turns out that the search index rebuild mod wasn't the fault. It was a combination of the damn SQL server (Yahoo) and the size of some of the messages in the database. LOL... This thing runs and self adjusts as people are using the forums as it is doing it's thing. Problem is, the forums are on a shared server with many other people, some of which are using php and mySQL. We don't get 100% of the server time.... So the problem is getting the settings right in the rebuild engine. I've done that, and think I've got a handle on it.

It works on a 'Meta' page refresh... And tells the program to process so many messages at a time, within so many seconds, and refresh the page. Depending on how many messages you tell it to process and how big each message is, will affect how much server time is required for each pass. Problem is that if the browser decides that it hasn't received and updated the page in the time it wants, then it stops the process (as the server is busy with other tasks to send out the update or process your current request).

Anyhow, after a few hours of playing... I think I've got all the settings right... and written down for the next time I do this (it will be done after the forums have been cleaned of all the crap)... The weekly (or so) compression that MCS does is great and probably easier, but if he can't do it sometimes, I now have the option of doing it another way.. Smile

Anyhow...

To Everyone... The search tables have been rebuilt.... The new search mods are installed and functioning on all templates. So, make sure to select the options you require as the more information you give the search, the better the results from the engine.

Enjoy... And happy Searching....

Greg
BrotherTank

PS: Ack.... Do those mods help you at all?
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:44 am

ack wrote:
@Greg - yup, the mods helped significantly - many thanks! For whatever reason, I wasn't seeing the whole search table in my browser. I could only search based on author/keyword. I am now seeing the second table that has the expanded options. I ran a few test searches and everything seems to be working just fine Smile

Excellent.... Glad to hear that all is well....

@Everyone.... Is everything ok now? Do I have the mods right?

Greg
BrotherTank
Martin
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 8
poland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:02 am

It's great for me. Smile Great job Greg! I'm really happy of the fact that you've resized the textbox in reply window. Sometimes I'm writing replies in DOS Edit, and when I pasted it to the old box, I had to type in all spaces and add lines again. It was pretty annoying, thanks for fixing!

canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:38 am

Ok.... I think we've got everyone's needs taken care of... Or so it seems...

I added a few more changes to the site, as you have probably seen already (maybe not). They are:

1. Rebuilt the search page, so that things are in progressive order and arranged so that it's a little more tidy, and compact. Is this new format ok?

2. Changed the quote and code system so that it stands out a little more, and also shows things in a slightly different font. This reduces some of the clutter, and makes it look more like the quoting system of phpBB2.2 (which is still being written - And no, I probably won't switch to that one as I've had a look at it and the only thing I can see that it offers that I haven't installed is that the templates are cached and coded into the database).

3. Added a mod so that you can not post consecutively in the same thread without waiting at least 10 seconds. This will stop those pesky double posts that appear from time to time. I still want to get the consecutive auto post function working as well (but that's another time).

4. Added a new bbcode... it doesn't show up in the buttons (I might work on adding that to the list of buttons, but I don't think it will be too hard for people to remember. It's the [ you ] command. Just type [ you ] (no spaces inbetween the brackets and the 'you') and it will display the name of the person reading the thread in it's place. Example Hi Anonymous!

5. Did a little more clean up, and returned the Private Message indictor back to a 'POP-UP' window rather than a space on the main index. This way you will be notified (unless you turn the pop-up off in your profile).

6. Looks like (via the current poll results) that I will be installing the E-Mail mods. Seeing as it's already sending the announcement that you have a new message to read (PM or Topic Watch), that it might a well include Who wrote the message/reply and the text of it. So look for that change in the next 24 hours (providing the mods work properly). Remember, you still have control over the E-mails being sent to you via your own profile. You can choose to turn "On" or "Off" for each of the settings (Private Message and Topic Watch).

7. Remember to set your timezone correctly within your profile. This setting helps show you the proper times that people posted. If you don't, then two things happen:

a. All the dates and times in the things you read are set to GMT time, and
b. When someone views your profile, it will show the wrong time for your location.

The timezone for EST Canada is GMT - 5 (so you can figure it out from there, or you can go to: World TimeZone where you can enter your location and it will give you your proper GMT setting).

Lastly, I updated the phpBB itself to 2.0.7a which fixes a couple of security issues that were outstanding in the latest version.

Oh well... I hope to hear from anyone (good or bad) about the changes made. Let me know what you think, as I am trying to make these forums the best they can be for you the members.

Enjoy!

Greg
BrotherTank
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:35 pm

Last But Not Least...

I ironed out a bug where if you had the "Notify of new posts" set in your profile, that every time you posted it added that to your watching list. I got rid of that bug. Now it's up to you when you post or create a new topic as to whether or not you receive notifications. Anyhow... with that fixed...

I got a little bored today... CC is holding on still so I decided to play with the smilies.. Click on the "View more Smilies" when you are posting and you will see what I mean...

So I take it with no responses... that everyone is happy with the way things look? And work?

I hope so... But I'll take good or bad input... Let me know...

Greg
BrotherTank

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:05 am

One Mirror problem is that I don't like to click the check in box of Notify me when a reply is posted each time.. I already set to "YES" on Always notify me of replies in profile.

this is confusion for me Embarassed Is there a different between "Always notify me of replies"
and "Notify me when a reply is posted" Question

If other topics are no replies in 30 days, then I will uncheck them in Watch list Wink

Hope you understand what I talked about........
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:01 am

Interesting. I actually don't use the "Watch Topics" at all. This forum is small enough that it seems to be pretty easy to find what you're looking for. I do use the "notify by email when you get a private message" though; and I liked Greg's idea of having the text being sent straight to my hotmail email (even if my message in the Polling Section was mildly retarded - lol).

Everything looks pretty good here for me right now. I find it looks a little strange with the "Ranks" and "Watched Topics" on a fifth line on the top though with nothing to the right of it, perhaps there is a way to combine them together with something else (like ranks/statistics, Memberlist/usergroups or Watched topics/PMs)? Or maybe take something out that members don't really look at alot (like the Chatroom, which already has a link below anyways), to make it back to 4 lines and feel less cluttered?

About the left side that says "Welcome [name]" with your icon, does anyone else find that the 4 links below (View posts since last visit, etc.) look a little messy being double spaced? Not sure if it would look better a different way, but it's kind of strange like this for me. Listing who's in the chatroom at the bottom of the page seems somewhat redundant too, since it's already listed at the top; but I'm guessing you put it there so more people will notice if anyone is in there.

I'll be fine with whatever you decide to keep in regards to those sections of the layout, but they just seem like they could be displayed more organized; in my opinion. Take these comments whichever way you like. Smile
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:42 am

Chris wrote:
Interesting. I actually don't use the "Watch Topics" at all. This forum is small enough that it seems to be pretty easy to find what you're looking for. I do use the "notify by email when you get a private message" though; and I liked Greg's idea of having the text being sent straight to my hotmail email (even if my message in the Polling Section was mildly retarded - lol).

Actually, both are working and working well... There is the odd little thing like it placing a slash before a " .... but those are minor.. and hopfully can be addressed rather easily.. I know you only watch a few subjects, but there are actually quite a few people watching many subjects. I installed that mod so that it was easier to find or modify what you were watching in fewer steps... You just use the menu rather than having to go to each thread and click on the "Stop Watching".

Chris wrote:
Everything looks pretty good here for me right now. I find it looks a little strange with the "Ranks" and "Watched Topics" on a fifth line on the top though with nothing to the right of it, perhaps there is a way to combine them together with something else (like ranks/statistics, Memberlist/usergroups or Watched topics/PMs)? Or maybe take something out that members don't really look at alot (like the Chatroom, which already has a link below anyways), to make it back to 4 lines and feel less cluttered?

Now that is an interesting one... which I can answer... The empty space actually isn't empty... but rather is the "Admin Forums" link for me, and the other Admins... I used to hide it under the avatar, but when I installed the ranks and then the topic watch ..... I seemed very much out of place. As for the user groups, well... Those are sortof active. Look at your profile sometime by going to the memberlist, finding your name and then clicking on it to view the profile that way... Then you will see what everyone else sees.

Chris wrote:
About the left side that says "Welcome [name]" with your icon, does anyone else find that the 4 links below (View posts since last visit, etc.) look a little messy being double spaced? Not sure if it would look better a different way, but it's kind of strange like this for me. Listing who's in the chatroom at the bottom of the page seems somewhat redundant too, since it's already listed at the top; but I'm guessing you put it there so more people will notice if anyone is in there.

Hmm.. I wondered about the double spacing too. The reason I chose this route was to make sure that people could click on the actual link they wanted and not have them so bunched that it made it difficult to choose. I know at the larger screen resolutions, things can look a little crowed at times in certain areas. I know where they were in the old way, they seemed to get lost in the shuffle. Maybe some Icons for those are in order too.... And then replaced into the menu itself.

Chris wrote:
I'll be fine with whatever you decide to keep in regards to those sections of the layout, but they just seem like they could be displayed more organized; in my opinion. Take these comments whichever way you like. Smile

I've been playing with them, and may still yet adjust them some more. It's tough finding just the right combination that makes things stand out and at the same time fit for both 800x600 res and the 1024x768. It may look right on one res, and way too cluttered on the other... so I'm still playing.

Greg
BrotherTank

Last edited by BrotherTank on Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:47 am

<Howling Wolf> wrote:
One Mirror problem is that I don't like to click the check in box of Notify me when a reply is posted each time.. I already set to "YES" on Always notify me of replies in profile.

this is confusion for me Embarassed Is there a different between "Always notify me of replies"
and "Notify me when a reply is posted" Question

If other topics are no replies in 30 days, then I will uncheck them in Watch list Wink

Hope you understand what I talked about........

Yes... There is a big difference...

Notify me when a reply is posted tells the system that you want to watch that topic. If you are already watching that topic, there is no need to recheck the box. If you aren't watching it but wish to, then you need to check that box.

The Always notify me of replies on your user profile... that check box turns on or off all notifications... so if you are watching many threads, and check NO, then it will stop notifying you of new posts in any of the threads you are watching.

Hope that makes things clearer....

Greg
BrotherTank

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:17 pm

Thanks Brithertank for information.... How your Cat doing right now Question
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:17 am

<Howling Wolf> wrote:

Crying 2 I'm sorry to say that CC passed away in his sleep last night.

BT
Arielus
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:22 am

I know I couldn't feel the way you do now, BrotherTank, but I do know how losing a beloved one feels like. Always remember your buddy as the fighter he was. Be happy, because his time here finished while he could feel no pain, and his journey to the afterlife surely felt like a marvellous, pleasant dream, with a new world to behold at its end. He is now in a better place, stronger than ever, don't forget that...

Ariel.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:02 pm

BrotherTank wrote:
<Howling Wolf> wrote:

Crying 2 I'm sorry to say that CC passed away in his sleep last night.

BT

I am sorry to hear that CC was pass away, he is in heaven right now. Crying or Very sad
TheTalentedMrLeo
Forum Administrator

Topics: 35
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:42 pm

Oi.
Reivax44
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 3
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:58 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about CC Brother Tank. Crying or Very sad I know that CC will be sadly missed by everyone and I pass on my best wishes for CC in her next life...

canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:00 pm

Again... To all...

Thanks for the kind words.

Greg

@ Approx 10pm March 29 EST Canada I installed the update to bring phpBB to 2.0.8.

I'm sorry if this caused anyone problems using the forums.

Everything is now complete... And with that I await further instruction....

Greg
BrotherTank
Forums Admin

Last edited by BrotherTank on Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:54 pm

The only thing I see so far is that quoted text is no longer separated from the reply.
It's hard to tell where the quote stops and the reply begins... at least in the SubSilver theme.

Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:35 pm

Adam Biser wrote:
The only thing I see so far is that quoted text is no longer separated from the reply.
It's hard to tell where the quote stops and the reply begins... at least in the SubSilver theme.

Sorry Adam... My Bad...

Once all the colours were in place for all the templates, I moved to a fixed css rather than the built on the fly css. Saves bandwidth and server processing. I forgot to include the code and quote css updates into the subSilver. It should be fixed now...

I've been doing a lot of these things to take my mind off of CC's death and other things... And I guess I maybe shouldn't... seeing as I'm omitting things. I totally overlooked that when I checked the templates after doing it. I guess I'll take some time off until my head clears a little...

Greg
BrotherTank
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:58 pm

BrotherTank,
I remember you saying that you stopped it from automatically adding a topic to your watch list when you post a reply, but is it possible that it could be a setting in the profile? I always thought that's what "Always notify me of replies" meant...
I know you said that it was continually add the same topic to your watch list with each reply, but is it possible to stop it from re-adding topics that are already on the list and keep the 'auto-add topic when a person replies' part?
I don't know if anyone else misses it, but I've been forgetting to check that box all the time.

Also, the quote box doesn't show up in the "Topic review" portion when replying.

Just little things from my wishlist. Not trying to be pushy or anything.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:20 pm

Adam Biser wrote:
but I've been forgetting to check that box all the time

Me too, whenever I ready to reply the post or post new topic, it makes the box unchecked
in Notify me when a reply is posted.

Every time I reply the post or post new topic which I am not in them before, I forget to check in that box. Confused

Before BrotherTank take changes Notify me when a reply is posted was checked and automatic
notification.. I don't understand what this things were changed. I have to mark the check in box
each time whenever I ready to do so.... Hate it for that happen... Neutral
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:09 pm

Adam Biser wrote:
BrotherTank,
I remember you saying that you stopped it from automatically adding a topic to your watch list when you post a reply, but is it possible that it could be a setting in the profile? I always thought that's what "Always notify me of replies" meant...

Sure, I can set that back... The problem was that with that flag set in your profile it starts you watching "any" thread that you reply to. What I did was tell it to not automatically set that flag. This way you choose which topics you want to watch. It still sends out the posts from the thread for those that you are watching, or at least it should.

Adam Biser wrote:
I know you said that it was continually add the same topic to your watch list with each reply, but is it possible to stop it from re-adding topics that are already on the list and keep the 'auto-add topic when a person replies' part? I don't know if anyone else misses it, but I've been forgetting to check that box all the time.

Again... not a problem... I can set it back... It's actually just two lines of code that I reversed the logic on.

Adam Biser wrote:
Also, the quote box doesn't show up in the "Topic review" portion when replying. Just little things from my wishlist. Not trying to be pushy or anything.

Interesting... I will have to take a look at that problem. It's not a change in the code that did that... might be something in one of the template files....

Greg
BrotherTank

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:26 am
   Subject: No.
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Do you think it could possibily be possible for you to consider the mere thought of possibly changing the "notify me of a private message" feature so that when you are logged on, the email isn't sent, but if you are not logged on, the email is indeed sent? I get irritated to have to respond to an email when I have already read the PM.

Anonymous was pwned?
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> News & Forum Rules View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 3 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: