DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Guess the Gamemap
Page 2 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:44 pm
   Subject: Re: Guess the Gamemap
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Thank you! Yes, Jack was definitely on the right track too.

Yeah, that silver key area in E5L5 was extremely dangerous. All those entrances through which they could double back on you!

I'm off to grab a screenshot! I've got something in mind.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:10 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Okay, let's see how you do with this one. I know this particular map formation exists only once in the original Wolf3D and Spear gamemaps.

Good luck!
Otto
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 2

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:04 pm

I think it's E6L4 Rolling Eyes
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:17 pm

This definately seems familiar. I'm gonna try solely by memory here, since, like Gary said, this is a guessing game. Smile

I remember racing through Episode 6 the other day, how there was one area with two locked doors on one side, and one locked door on the other side. You had to go through the two locked doors first to get the first key. Were the locked doors shadowed though? Hrmmm. I can't remember which level number that was! Level 5 was just alot of big rooms, level 6 was crazyness, level 4 was... level 4? Level 3 was all the nazi signs, Level 7 was... oh yeah, the tan and purple maze level! Ok, level 4 opened up a dog, and after awhile you ran right to get the gold key, and ran left to the !!! YEAH. Ok, let's think about some other possibilities...

There was also E2L8, wasn't there two locked doors there? And two more to the left of it? I doubt it was that one though, the poster, plants, and opening on the right don't ring a bell. It does remind me a little of Spear 2, but of course, the walls were made of rock there. I get a vision of E3L6, but was that one locked door or two on the right side? Episode 3 seems like it may have this kind of arrangement (trying to imagine more E3 levels). E3L8 had atleast two locked doors to that red area, but it was coming from the left, I think. What happened in E3L4? You got out a little gray room to WHAT, what. What about E1L10, no, that was totally different, but it still had two locked doors at the end! haha.

E3L4, what happened there again? Hey, E4L5 had alot of locked... but the opening was smaller, or was it? What about boss levels, there was the Giftmacher level, where you need to get the keys from that guard, but it was tighter; I think. The Gretal boss level had some locked doors, YEAH on the left and right side of the beginning! But weren't those White walls? I don't remember, probably! What about E6L10, that had alot of crazy stuff... but no, no locked doors, they were all by the elevator! Well, this whole time I've been keen on picking E6L4... but we must discuss the possibilities brain! E4L.... 7? Didn't that have a gray stone area with locked doors, right past the start?! Yeah, it was 3 or 4... or was there two before it? There was, but were they red walls or gray walls? A yellow plant seems to nice for that level though, it would stand out too much. Wasn't there an area way in the back of a level that was like this... behind a huge maze? Ah, what was that level? In E4 or E5, probably.. or E2? What was in E2L7? Probabaly nothing important.

I do remember one hallway full of doors, didn't that originate from two locked doors into another room? Why does this room keep coming back to me (a SS was hiding a gold key in one of the many doors)? It must be pretty similar to E6L4! But it's not in Episode 6. Episode 5 maybe? Episode 3? Hrmm. Was there really a plant in those two locked doors at E6L4 anyways? And what was before it, exactly? Didn't E4L3 have some locked doors to a silver key? No wait, those were red brick walls. I still haven't really explored Episode 5 and 1 too much here. Episode 1 Level 3... no, Level 4.... Level 4 DID have some double locked doors didn't it? Or was that Level 5 by the end? Where was the locked doors in E5L3? Oh, behind at the start, right! And the other one? I'm getting lost here - lol. I need to check out Jack's radio show now.... Laughing

My instict has been telling me to pick.... E6L4
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:02 pm

LOL...wow, Chris, that post was awesome! All those possibilities...a lot of great ideas in there, a lot of dead ends to run down...but I liked eavesdropping on the "inner monologue" as it were.

In the end, you were absolutely right, but while you were composing that awesome post, Otto swooped in first with the correct answer! It is indeed E6L4, the double locked doors to the silver key room. And you were right, that level does open up with dogs chomping on you. Great calls on those other levels too, Chris.

Instead of this shot, I was going to post a close-up of the little alcove with the ammo, suits of armor (and the officer) in it from earlier in E6L4...that probably would have been harder.

Otto, if you'd like to post the next screenshot, go ahead! Smile
Otto
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 2

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:14 pm

I don't want to post the next image.
Chris will do that better...
Adhesive_Boy
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 11

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:20 pm

Having two locked doors with Hitler portraits is something that's done a lot in the game - it's sort of menacing to the player, and Tom Hall seemed to enjoy putting it in his levels. That being said, I really liked e6l4. I really can't tell you why - it seems like a level that was just left out of one of the other episodes, but I really like how it returns episode 6 to normalcy after 3 insane and somewhat irritating levels. The beginning always reminded me of some level of Quake, too - I think it's id tradition to start levels off with monsters going after you right from the getgo.

Anyway, I can't wait to see the next picture! I'd post one, but that would obviously break the rules of the whole contest idea that's going on. I'll wait until I can get one.

EDIT: And that maze in Episode 5 level 5 was awesome. It's probably my favorite Romero level - if you notice, you're virtually surrounded by enemies in almost every room. And that key room would always make me insane as a little kid playing that game. Episode 5 was probably my favorite at the time - I liked how the levels were suspensful but still nice and neat looking. It's not necessarily a style I think I could do, but I admire it a lot. E5L3, especially, is really good at demonstrating it.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 45
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:53 pm

I got one, should be easy to you guys, please try and get it form your mind! It's form Wolf

EDIT: Sorry, I wasn't supposed to post one :/ Can I post one please?

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:23 pm

Haha... glad you enjoyed that little "post of random thoughts" Brian. Man, this contest can brings so many different visions to a person's mind; it's incredible! I wasn't even too sure if I was going to get the puzzle right, so seeing Otto's answer made me kind of glad I wasn't the only one who was going for that level. You're right, having a screenshot of that alcove would have been alot harder man! I doubt that my memory would have even been able to remember that section off hand (probably would have thought of E2L8 first; as I believe there's alcoves in there too). Who knows....

Reading you mention E4L2 and E4L6 as the "Siamese Twins" in the other thread was inspiring Gary. They seemed very different to me, with the 6 elevators and that huge section to the right with all the little hallways of new textures. I guess that they do have alot of similities, though, like their "blueness", how the one main area is a big square with rooms engraved inside (with those square blocks of walls on each end), and of course; the music. I'm eager to keep playing through those two levels now, seeing if there's any other connections between them that you might have found that I haven't even considered yet.

I finally figured out which area reminded me so much of that room behind the two locked doors in E6L4, it was the one after the green barrel maze in E3L8! They feel pretty similar, don't they? Smile

Adhesive_Boy wrote:
I'd post one, but that would obviously break the rules of the whole contest idea that's going on. I'll wait until I can get one.

Feel free to post a screenshot if you guys like. After all, Otto doesn't seem interested; and I've already posted one. The idea to let ack go next was just something I did for fun anyways, the initial idea for the contest was yours in the first place Jack. Having two screenshots running at the same time could also be interesting, should you both decide to post one. Wink
KyleRTCW
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:42 pm

Ok I got one, it's from Wolfenstein

Mr Green

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:04 pm

At first, I was pretty confused, and thought of either Spear 2 or something in Episode 1, than had an idea for E4L1 - and wasn't going to answer, but than I remembered how there's a cool section right behind the elevator that led to a gray maze in E4L3 (which wasn't required, but still fun to explore through). This is the level I feel most strongly about right now. If I'm right, don't tell yet though... I'd rather wait and hear other people's guesses. Mr Green

EDIT: I agree Jack. E5L3 is definately one of the most unique and cool looking levels. I love it how you have so much freedom to choose which path you want to take when blasting away that swarm of enemies in the huge room. The hallway to the key with the two lights side-by-side always surprises me and makes me go: "woah, this is one high-class operation" - lol.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:25 pm

New screenshot-ness! Okay, my first thought was E4L1, too, because I thought of that little red brick maze that inspired me to make part of one of my old levels. But then I realized that the ceiling in E4L1 is gray, so that can't be right. Hmm.

E4L3! Now there's a likely candidate. Wasn't the first demo in the demoloop for Wolfenstein v1.2 of E4L3? I seem to remember watching that demo a lot when I first got the game in 1992. Yeah, there was a gray maze in there! Isn't that were you access the secret elevator?

Okay, I'm going to stick with E4L3 on this one. Very Happy
Adhesive_Boy
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:58 pm

That confused me as well - mainly because of the ceiling color. It seemed unnaturally bright, and I was trying to think of levels with that bright a color. The first thought that came to my mind was Episode 4 level 1, but I ruled that out after thinking about how the two parts are constructed: opposite each other instead of right next to each other. The ceiling color was also not gray like e4l1. Then, the thought came to mind that it might be in the later range of episode 6 - levels 6 and 8, specifically, but 6 doesn't even use both those textures and 8 doesn't have a section like that.

For some reason, the thought never came to me that it could be that section that goes to the secret in e4l3. But now that Chris has mentioned it, I'm 100% sure now that that's what it is. After all, I should know the episode 4 levels pretty well by now, shouldn't I? (Btw, that's a lie. I really don't know level 4 or 7 very well at all...)

EDIT: Yes, episode 4 level 3 was the first demo. It's a very cool level to have a demo of, too - the officers that roam around the entrance area and make it kind of unpredictable, that fake key room that with the crazy lights is fun to look at and has a bunch of officers in it, and that area off to the side that serves as a "dining hall" is awesome. Not to mention how everything converges in a wide open area in the last room. It's definitely a cool level - also rather small, when you think just the actual path you need to take for the gold key.

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:11 pm

Yeah, those demos for v1.2 were awesome! I still remember watching those things like it was yesturday. 33, 43, 45, and 56 were the levels - right? Did you guys ever believe that there was actually a 56th level in Wolf3d from watching those things? I certainly did, maybe you'll find the story interesting:

http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=1103

It's cool that you guys also picked E4L3. I used to always forget about that gray area when racing through Episode 4. One day I went back and asked myself: "What's the point of this dumb silver key?", and accidentaly stumbled upon that gray hallway again when spinning around aimlessly; so I'll always remember that: "oh my god, where the heck did this area come from?" reaction.

Funny that you mention the ceiling colours Jack, I didn't even think about that; but now that you mention it, the red ceiling is perfect for that level! Now I'm even more sure that it's E4L3. I haven't even checked out the level to see if we were close yet... would be funny if all three of us were wrong; but I highly doubt it now - as it's hard to forget how great that bright red ceiling matched with the ammo and steel plate in that room that leads to all the treasure! Smile
KyleRTCW
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:10 pm

Ok you all got it right, Mr Green since Chris and BJ already posted one, go ahead Jack and post one. Cool

Bring 'em On

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:20 pm

Well, not only do I have ONE, but I have FIVE. These are for the most part difficult, so have fun and let's see who can get them all!

I was thinking of changing ceiling color/other things on these, but I decided not to when I couldn't get the image editor to do that properly Smile

DieHard SS

Topics: 1
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:33 pm

I think the first one is E1M2 and the third is E1M10 and the fourth is E1M7, but I think I'm wrong. I'm not sure what the 2nd and the 5th screenshots are. I'm guessing the 2nd is E3M4 and the 5th is E5M5, maybe I should research and see what they are. Confused
KyleRTCW
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:40 pm

These are all form memory

1st - E1 L2 ?

2nd - E1 L7?

3rd - E4 - L2

4th - E1 L7 (i remember that level for some odd reason)

5th - E6 L1 (I remeber that part, I was going to post a pic on that one also)

Geek

Bring 'em On

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:58 pm

I won't say how many you guys got right, but I will say that I intentionally tried to throw people off, so it's generally not the most obvious guess. I'll also have to check to see if any of the layouts appear in any other levels.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:33 pm

That last one is screaming E4. That level where you start out in the brown stone room with all the dogs that attack you, and you run through the door and slam it shut behind you so they can't come in...hahaha...I'm gonna say that the last screenie is from E4L5.

The rest I'm not too sure on, so I'm gonna take wild guesses.

Screen #1: E1L1?

Screen #2: E3L3, from that cool secret area off the key room.

Screen #3: I have no earthly idea. Uhh....E1L3.

Screen #4: That's so episode 1. Um...let's see...that one where it starts off in the wood area, with the cinematic elevator lobby. E1L7! Yeah!

Screen #5: As previously opined, E4L5.

This is fun Very Happy
Gary
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 5
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:53 pm

Wow, Jack... 5 screenshots, this'll be tough. Changing the ceiling color would have been devious, especially for those of us who use that as our first criteria for narrowing down the possiblities. Wink That'd definitely make things more interesting, though. You could finally pick screenshots from levels where the ceiling color is a dead giveaway, such as Spear1 and E5L6.

#1:
First guess would be something from Ep1, probably level 3, 4 or 5. I'm thinking that this one might be something from the Nocturnal Missions that has the retro-charm of the gray brick shareware days. My certainty about this one is pretty weak.

#2:
The staggered lights and distant green oil drum (I'm assuming that's what it is, anyway) were my first clues. E3L7 is all wood paneling, but I doubt that's it... we've dealt with that level enough already. Same goes for E4L4. Going from memory alone, I'd have to wager that this one comes from an obscure secret area.

#3:
Another Episode 1 flavor, but I have a feeling this one is from elsewhere. Maybe it's because the plant in the distance has leaves. Ep1 seemed to favor, though not exclusively, the brown, dead-looking plant in a vase. That reasoning sounds pretty lame now that I think of it, but it's the first thing that popped into my mind. E5L5 or E5L7 are the strongest possibilities for me.

#4:
I had to go into the game and do some Ep1 searching for this one to follow up a few hunches. I'm going with E1L7. This is the one I'm by far the most confident in.

#5:
I immediately ruled out the caviest of levels (E5L6) because the brown ceiling is of too dark a shade. My educated guess is E4L5 because there are a lot of cave walls with narrow passages in that area with multiple offshoots that all connect back with each other.

-Gary
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 27
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:28 am

Well I've been reading this very cool thread, but I haven't joined in :) Oh well, I'm in the mood for some fun tonight, and my brain could stand some jogging, so here are my best guesses:

First Shot: E2L7. It's when you first start off, grab the key, turn around and kill the SS troopers, and are just about to take the elevator out...But wait, this seems fishy, this is WAY too easy....That's when you discover the secret area behind the left SS trooper, you go through and - wow! - you discover an entirely new level practically :) (I only got this shot because I recently just played through Episode 2 again). From the screenshot I'll also guess you're playing on "Bring 'Em On" mode, because on "Death Incarnate" I *think* there's an SS man in there along with one more SA guard (?).

Second Shot: E3M3. Pretty easy as it's one of my favorite episodes for the short and to the point levels. This was also always one of my fave levels...The little wooden rooms and the cool music :)

Third Shot: I'm blank...My gut reaction is Episode 1 L ?...But I'm sure this can't be right because I think that's a shot of a green plant in the distance (can just barely see the leaves)....As Gary said, green plants aren't that common in E1. So I'm blank...Could be a shot out of Episode 4 or 6, though I can't remember any particular levels (Haven't played them over yet! )

Fourth Shot: E1L7...What threw me was the dead SA in the distance there...You must've been followed ;) Episode 1 had quite an abundance of wells, and there should be another room on this level that looks kinda similiar in arrangement only with brown guards in it. From the shot, I think you're playing on "Bring 'Em On", although I might be wrong.

Fifth Shot: You've got me on this one...I have no idea, really. I'll go ahead and offer up E4L5 and E6L10 (the ultimate secret level). Both of them have dark brown ceilings and large, cavernous areas. The thing that gets me about this shot is that there is no blood on any of the cave walls in sight. Very rare sight, indeed...It seems like almost every three feet in Wolf3D there's blood on those cave walls.

Well, those are my guesses....Let's see how many I got right and which ones I missed totally (Y'know I'll be smacking myself in the forehead once Jack reveals the answers ;) )

-Ian
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:49 am

Initial thoughts...

1. My first thought was E1L5, in that room before the locked door and SS.
2. I thought of a secret area, specifically the one on E3L3 when looking at this one.
3. This layout seems exactly like the room in E5L5 where'd I'd always go to lure that guard through the locked door, but the ceiling colour feels much too bright.
4. Ahhh, this room seems very obscure and doesn't ring any bells at all!
5. This made me think of E4L5 too, how there's many doors with tan stone mazes; but the very right of the picture makes me dismiss that one totally, as I don't recall EVER seeing a brown texture anywhere on that level. Maybe this one is from Spear of Destiny?

After playing the levels and verifying...

1. What the heck? The room I was thinking of looks nothing like this!
2. Awesome! I'm surprised I could remember that one.
3. Crazy similarities with those two Episode 5 levels, that's for sure.
4. Man, I always just got the guards to open the gold door for me on this level; no wonder why I totally forgot about this area! lol.
5. Haha... there's that brown texture! Right before the place everyone was thinking of - Nice.

Very cool screenshots Jack. I'm still looking for the first one, maybe I'll check out the cool secret area Ian suggested... Wink
Adhesive_Boy
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:26 am

Well...you guys are close, but no one has got them all yet. The one that's the easiest is definitely the fourth - pretty much everyone got that.

I did try to leave subtle clues in most of them - the second has staggered lights and an oil drum that should've helped, and the third just has the leaves of the plant that Gary noticed (there also are no prison cells, which should help a bit). I am really surpised that no one but Chris noticed the wood panneling right on the edge of the picture of the last one (Ian also noticed no blood on the walls, which I hadn't thought about) - I thought that would give it away much more easily, but I guess the area it's from is kind of obscure to begin with.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 58
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:50 am

Ok, let me have a try.

Pic #1 - I know that this is somewhere in Episode 1, and I'm thinking that it could be Level 3.
Pic #2 - I thinking that it could possibibly Episode 3, Level 3.
Pic #3 - I'm thinking that is Episode 1, Level 10, but I'm sure that level 10 have a purple ceiling.
Pic #4 - An easy one Episode 1, Level 2.
And Pic #5 - I reckon it's Episode 4, Level 5.

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:15 am

Adhesive_Boy wrote:
Well...you guys are close, but no one has got them all yet.

@&##%&!&$$KTHX!1(/shift off)but that's only after I found the rest in the game Mr Green
Adhesive_Boy
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:47 pm

ack wins! Nice work, grasshopper. Your prize is...uh, this lint from my pocket.
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 27
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:58 am

Ouch! Those were some toughies, indeed :) I should've caught E5M7, as I always loved that entire Episode. Shame on me :-/

Anyway, ack, I guess it should be your turn next :)

-Ian
Mikey X
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 1
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:49 am

Obviously the first one is E4M9, and the second one is I think E5M6. I don't know I'm an idiot when it comes to guessing. Laughing
Adhesive_Boy
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:01 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I'm fairly sure that the second one is from SOD, because I never remember armor in the cave area of e4l5, and most of the other levels that have cave areas aren't big enough to be the area in that shot. And after looking at all the maps with the cave texture, I'm kind of confused as to where it could be. It still might be wolf3d, but I'm going to have to play through to see.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 2 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: