DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Wolfenstein Collection
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> AReyeP & MCS Games Support View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 56
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:54 pm
   Subject: Wolfenstein Collection
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hey, I'm liking this. I just downloaded it today, and wasn't really aware of it's existance until I visited this forum (well, i never really noticed it stand out... i guess). There's no text file or ingame readme that brags about it's features, there's no extra files at all actually --- which is great! I love it how the music and sounds have a Blake Stone twist to them; yet how everything else sticks to a wolf3d vein. I don't know, my view of a great addon is changing according to what is (and is not) being produced; and this game captures something I haven't felt for a while, and it's something that I have an ambition to explore through.

This is really good stuff; not because it's fancy or professional, but because it has a real personal feel to it. I get the impression that when MCS made these levels, he wanted to explore with his own creative ideas while adding cool elements from things he liked. I guess that's what everybody tries to do, but he seems to be doing it in context with things that are great but are lacking in most levels nowadays. Whatever his influences were, I admire them as well. This game lets me see a side of Martin that I haven't really seen too clearly before, a more vulnerable yet adventurous side... and I like it. This, in a strange sort of way, makes me almost wish that MCS would drop the whole SOD3 stuff and go solo again. He seems to have potential in every area of wolf3d editing -- not just the source code...
Arielus
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 25
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:06 am
   Subject: I agree...
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I must say I definitely agree. Well... I honestly wouldn't like MCS to drop End Of Destiny at all... no way, dude! But I do agree on the fact that Wolfenstein Collection reveals another side of the MCS we all know. As you say, it's some kinda reflection of his "style", if you know what I mean. There're no source code changes at all, only minor graphs and sounds mods; so it's only the map design what lets us see how MCS thinks, feels Wolf-wise.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe all this is not true. Anyway it's great to see that the man whom most of the community sees as the best Wolf coder has something more to give than excellent new code features. They'll be always welcome, but if he ever feels like going back again to the original feeling Wolfenstein Collection produces, we can definitely say he'll succeed!

Arielus.

Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 14
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:08 am
   Subject: Re: Wolfenstein Collection

Yeah, I'd have to agree.

I've been playing it just recently now that you suggested it Chris, and it is great.

Wolf Collection is proof along with things like Conflict in the Featherland, Schabbs 2000, and others that you really don't need major graphics or source or anything changes to make a really great Wolfenstein game.

Now, I'm not dissing the mods with lots of changes, they're totally awesome, but I'm saying you can also make a great addon without all that stuff. There's something to be said for both sides.
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 30

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:57 pm

Yea I downloaded it a year ago and well it seemed pretty good. I mean the levels were very well built but for some reason I couldn't quite get into it. It's probably just me. Still it's a helluva lot better than most stuff out there. It's definitely not because there weren't big features or anything (I'm not that shallow). I don't know why... you guys have inspired me to give it another chance, that's for sure Smile ... plus I only played a few levels.

The Master wrote:
Wolf Collection is proof along with things like Conflict in the Featherland, Schabbs 2000, and others that you really don't need major graphics or source or anything changes to make a really great Wolfenstein game.

Now, I'm not dissing the mods with lots of changes, they're totally awesome, but I'm saying you can also make a great addon without all that stuff. There's something to be said for both sides.

@ Master: I liked the way you put it. I totally agree. A lot of people like to make it sound like big feature mods suck (even though they probably have a blast playing them...) and that level only mods are the best. While I do have a LOT of respect for someone who can make a level only mod good (MCS, B.J. Rowan, Gary Ragland and such) because it's bare minimum, no gloss, levels and it's hard to make that kind of thing fun (without being Wolfenstein 3D or Spear of Destiny Wink)
Adhesive_Boy
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 9

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:48 pm

To be honest, I never quite go into Wolf Collection. I admire the personal feel to everything and the effort and complexity, but it was awfully boring. I don't mind symmetry and mazes, but when they're repeated ad nauseum they don't really work at all, in my mind. Also, while there was obviously no doubt that MCS had some cool ideas, I wouldn't put it up there with Conflict in the Fatherland.

Those are just my opinions though. As we've obviously all seen, MCS has spectactular coding abilities. And the fact that he could make a decent add-on without any of the extreme coding is further proof that he's a cool guy.

DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:14 pm

I couldn't have said it better myself Adhesive Boy aka Various Obscenities aka Jack Ryerson! Very Happy
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 56
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:51 am
   Subject: Collection of Wolf3d Thoughts in a Treasure Box...

It's great reading lots of these classic messages when everyone had such thoughtful opinions to share. I think some of the best threads here are the ones that were in the waking moments of this forums existance, when everything was new and exciting. I'm glad posts like this one are still in the archive; reading about everyone's opinions in topics like this really brings out the best in me sometimes! Great memories. Smile

Sure, there are still alot of great posts being created now, and with the whole bullet system gone and people back in school... things are looking alot more organized and content driven than they were in the summertime; but it's still nice to look back on threads like this once in awhile, and remember the pashion we had for our awakening discoveries when we discussed them together as a group. Mmmm, oh yeah...

Any of you newer members have any thoughts to contribute in regards to 'Wolf Collection'?
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:50 pm

Ah the days when I wasn't a smart-ass little [Censored].

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:13 pm

I would download this and try it out, but alas, my computer refuses to allow me to play dos games. Which is why I haven't worked on my Wolf TC. I have to get a pentium 1.... with win98... yeah, that'll work... *runs around the house looking for spare parts*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:15 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I Think It's Pretty Cool,Except For These Small Problems:

1-You Don't Have A Gun.
2-The Levels Are Too Maze Like.
3-In The First Few Levels You Only Fight Dogs.(I Like The Gunfights)
4-Hardly Any Blood.

So With Those Features,I Really Can't Say It's Absolutely Killer But I Rate It A 7 Point 0 On My Coolness Meter.

Thunderstorm My Name Is Jemanie Davidsson,And I Am The Lord Of Thunder. Thunderstorm
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> AReyeP & MCS Games Support View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: