DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

[Code] Removing Signon, PG13, or Intro Screens - Chris
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Code Tutorials View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 57
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:28 pm
   Subject: Removing the t-shirts of summer intro screens...
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Nah man, that isn't possible in Wolf3d - but you can make Pink Bunnies hop around the screen and dance to NAZIRAP in 2-piece swimsuits by throwing these things in WL_MAIN.C:

::: CODE :::
// SignonScreen ();
   VL_SetVGAPlaneMode ();
   VL_TestPaletteSet ();
   VL_SetPalette (&gamepal);

if (!virtualreality)
   {
//    IntroScreen ();
      CA_CacheScreen (TITLEPIC);
      VW_UpdateScreen ();
   }

InitRedShifts ();
   if (!virtualreality)
//      FinishSignon();

//   PG13 ();

Have fun with the cute little animals dude! Smile
zululord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:44 pm
   Subject: Re: Remove the Signon screen
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Chris, this is useful to me too. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb-arse question but do mean insert this code anywhere in wl_main.c?

I thought you meant comment out those lines but I couldn't find most of them.

I have been using the tutorials to great success on areyep but I'm still learning.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:42 am

Yeah, I guess WSJ was right; I don't really explain things in sufficiant details sometimes. Glad to hear you're having fun though. I figured that leaving those questions to your imagination would be fun, but apparently all anyone wants are simple, straight-forward answers that require no real code observations or trial-and-error testing. haha... Smile

Alright, anyways, here's a 'better' (for lack of a better word) explanation of that old one about how to remove the Signon / PC-13 screens; just cause I think zululord is a cool guy. First, open up WL_MAIN.C, and:

1. Do a search for "SignonScreen ()"
2. Comment out that line so it looks like this:

// SignonScreen ()

3. Add these three lines below "// SignonScreen ()":

VL_SetVGAPlaneMode ();
VL_TestPaletteSet ();
VL_SetPalette (&gamepal);

4. Do a search for "IntroScreen ()"
5. Change the line:

if (!virtualreality)
   IntroScreen ();

to this:

if (!virtualreality)
   {
//    IntroScreen ();
      CA_CacheScreen (TITLEPIC);
      VW_UpdateScreen ();
   }

6. Do a search for "FinishSignon ()"
7. Comment out that line like this:

// FinishSignon ()

8. Do a search for "PG13 ()"
9. Comment out that line like this:

// PG13 ()

10. Complie --> Make ---> Link your file

Make sure to use the Tab key once (don't use the space bar) for making the "{" and "}" brackets shift to the right (when creating those lines inside the !virtualreality code, mentioned above), and use the Tab key twice to shift whatever code is inside those brackets. If you're having problems finding the search strings mentioned, start your first search from the top of WL_Main.C (push the cursor so it will blink when you're at the top), and than check your search settings so that they are set to Global / Forward / From Cursor. Having the Case Sensitive on or off doesn't matter as long as you spell the word right... and remember that all the "Word ()" examples have a space inbetween the word part and the bracket part.

I think that's it. You can also erase the entire function of those 4 lines you commented out later if you can find them (the line and all the brackets inside void SignonScreen (void), void PG13 (void), void FinishSignon (void), etc.); but it doesn't really matter unless you're trying to save a little bit of memory/space in your exe.

Well, I'm sure there's other ways to get rid of those screens (running "wolf3d -nowait" instead of just regular "wolf3d" [or switching the "boolean virtualreality" tab around so it's default is true] are good examples of how to get rid of the PG-13 screen and SOME of the signon screen). If you have a different solution that you think works better, feel free to post it....

---------------

Man, now that I look back at what I just did - writing this 2nd answer was alot less fun than writing the 1st one. Maybe those 'basic, straight-forward tutorials with no lessons to be learned' are cool for everyone else, but they're boring as hell to me - and they give me this weird feeling in my stomach like it's not even me talking... more like some dictionary with no personality or something. Oh well, hopefully you got something positive out of this message anyways - I don't think I did... Sad
zululord

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:16 pm

Thanks Chris. I only started coding yesterday so I'm a bit unsure when it comes to informal directions. Still, I have found a site that has tutorials on c++ programming so I am slowly learning.

Tutorials are great because they allow us to achieve something with little effort but I like to know why something works. It's a long road ahead but I'm getting there.[/b]
zululord

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:51 pm

Just letting you know that I successfully removed the signon screen. I left the PG13 as I created a replacement graphic for it that I like. I also removed all but one episode and have changed a bit of text so it doesn't say things like "Which episode to play?" which would be a bit silly since there's only one.

I changed the end text "Do not distribute" but haven't seen if it works because it keeps going straight back to Windows when I quit the game.

I guess all I have to do now is change all the graphics and sounds from the version I was working on, or is it possible to just replace the wolf3d.exe file in the directory of my TC?
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:37 am
   Subject: mmm - experiments part 7 million...

Sounds like you're on a roll. I checked around for that quit message, it looks like the main one (that displays the "Do not Distribute" screen) is in the void Quit (char *error) function of WL_MAIN.C. You can do alot of things to see it, like say by delaying the screen or waiting for a user to press a key. As an example, look for this line:

exit (0);

And put this on the line above it:

VW_WaitVBL(100);

That will work for most quit messages, but some of them aren't directed to that function (like the "Unload Your TSRs" message, which is direct inside void InitGame (void) instead); and like most actions, VW_WaitVBL isn't loaded at the very start... so there may be a few quit messages (say, if they come on when you open the EXE right away - like "CA_FarRead Doesn't support 64k reads yet!") that may not exit after the delay - instead, just stay frozen on the screen; but I haven't tried it yet, so those might be ok too.

Another thing to try (which is already the default in my Source.pif), is to right click on your EXE in Windows and go to Properties; than click on the 'Program' folder at the top - and there should be a message like "Close on Exit" that you can check off (it might be under the 'Advanced' button somewhere too, I don't remember what all versions of Windows are like). Once you find it and set it to OFF, with no checkmark, the windows screen will wait for you to exit the program yourself (by pressing the X in the corner) instead of exiting the last screen automatically.

zululord wrote:
I guess all I have to do now is change all the graphics and sounds from the version I was working on, or is it possible to just replace the wolf3d.exe file in the directory of my TC?

Did you mean have all the graphics inside the EXE itself; or just use the graphics/sounds from another exe with your new EXE? The first one would probably make the code take longer to load, but I'm sure you can plug everything into the exe by following how they did it with the Signon screen (adding an external object file).

The second one (replacing the old exe with your new one) would be pretty easy to do, just rename your old exe to something like backup.exe (if it's still called wolf3d.exe) - and than copy the one you've made (which should be in the /PROJECT directory); than paste it into the directory where your TC is and run it (dragging the exe over in windows might not work, because that either just moves it... or makes a shortcut to it - so I'd suggest the copy/paste route). If you don't want to go to all the work of copy/pasting it every time... just make another shortcut in the folder of your game that has it's properties set something like this:

Command Line: C:\TC\Project\Wolf3d.exe -goobers
Working Directory: C:\YourGame (whatever the directory is)

Hope that helps. I wrote this message because it was fun... Smile
Sockman
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 3
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:43 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I've tried the removing signon and it works also BTW: Thanks Chris Razz

@Chris: You should release the tutorials that you used in the goofy wolf addon released a few days ago. I especially enjoyed Episode 6, with the stretchy screen on level 1. If you could make it strech in and out, it is possible to create a kind of "drunk nightmare" style of game.

And now a request. I'd like to make it so on the skill select screen, as you change skill levels, a text at the bottom tells you about that skill.

i.e: You select "Can I Play Daddy?" and under the skills box, it reads, "Less Enemies, More powerups", etc...

Keep up the cool work Very Happy

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Code Tutorials View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: