DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Multiple Compatibility
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> DieHard Archives View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Sockman
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 3
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:12 am
   Subject: Multiple Compatibility
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I'm trying to enhance the original Wolf3D.EXE file, so that you could download it and use it when playing graphics/sounds/levels add-ons, and it would be better than the original game. The major hurdle at this point is allowing the game to work with the Shareware and the Registered versions, and automatically deciding which version to play (Like DOOM 1.9, which could play DOOM Shareware, DOOM Full, and DOOM 2 from one EXE) before the game is started.

I doubt anyone has done this, but where the hell would I start? What is the first thing the game does when it initiates? Where and how should I check for WL1 and WL6 files?

DieHard Officer

Topics: 19
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:53 pm
   Subject: Re: Multiple Compatibility
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

What do you mean by Doom v 1.9 being able to play all types of Doom. Or do you mean like a screen shows which you want to load. Isn't that like ZDoom or something? Depends on the Doom iwad in your directory.
Sockman
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:10 pm

The two are relatively similar, but distinct in their own ways. ZDOOM shows you a window to decided which Doom based game you want to play. DOOM 1.9 played the wads automatically in this order:

DOOM2.WAD <--- DOOM II, If this is found first, play it.
DOOM.WAD <--- DOOM I, Not DOOM II, so maybe it's DOOM full version
DOOM1.WAD <--- DOOM Shareware, It's not a registered, so it could be this
ERROR <--- No DOOM wads in directory

I want my Wolf3d.EXE to (on start) search for WL6 or WL1 files. If it finds WL6 files first, go with them, but if not, and WL1 files are available, use them. The game crashes if nothingis in the folder that is playable.

It sounds complex, but I think it's pretty simple. If anybody could figure this out, post it here.

<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:34 pm

Sockman wrote:
The two are relatively similar, but distinct in their own ways. ZDOOM shows you a window to decided which Doom based game you want to play. DOOM 1.9 played the wads automatically in this order:

DOOM2.WAD <--- DOOM II, If this is found first, play it.
DOOM.WAD <--- DOOM I, Not DOOM II, so maybe it's DOOM full version
DOOM1.WAD <--- DOOM Shareware, It's not a registered, so it could be this
ERROR <--- No DOOM wads in directory

I want my Wolf3d.EXE to (on start) search for WL6 or WL1 files. If it finds WL6 files first, go with them, but if not, and WL1 files are available, use them. The game crashes if nothingis in the folder that is playable.

It sounds complex, but I think it's pretty simple. If anybody could figure this out, post it here.

That's only part of your problem... You need to build a menu around it...

Here's the logic tree:

Search for anything ending "??6"

Found one or many

Make menu of those found, and then select which to play.

Found none - goto Next Search

Search "??3"

Found one or many

Search "??1"

Found one or many

Now comes the problem of SOD... It only uses 1 extention for Registered and 1 For Shareware.... So now you have to define a new extension to allow for multiples of either... and do the same search as above.

Here's the real kicker though... You are going to need some type or way of defining them.. ie: I've found PC1 and WL1 - I know wl1 means wolfenstein but what does PC1 stand for?

Finding them is the easy part... But remember that it has to find one of the original "wl?" files to start with for the initial startup... And then once you have done that, you have to change the file loading order or how things are loaded in the engine itself.

It must also check the files to make sure that they follow the standard "ie Original Wolf or Spear" Vswap and Vgagraph layout. Any deviation will cause your game to crash.

To be honest, it's easier to build an outside shell, that the person can edit template files to insert his/her own favorite games into the shell, and the names that the are called. And I think there is such a shell already available, if I am not mistaken.

It's going to be tough... But if you can do it... Hats off to ya...

Greg
BrotherTank
Sockman
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:40 pm

I'm up for a challenge Twisted Evil

The only things I need loaded are WL1 and WL6, Spear support won't be in this EXE, and I've never even heard of the 3 episode set actually being released. I don't think it will be a simple as:

Found WL1
#define UPLOAD

Found Wl6
(Don't)

or is it... I'll take a look soon, but as of right now both games start except VGAGRAPH and VSWAP are messed because of the extra files in both shareware and registered.

After I'm over this hurdle, and I can figure out how to make some new menus, this multiple EXE should be cooking.

In case you're wondering what I'm trying to do: I want to update the Wolf3D.exe file, as a base for graphics, sounds, and levels modders to use in their games if they don't want source editing. Everything is customizable, probably featuring some external defintions (like the CON files in Duke3D) to allow even more creative freedom.

In other words, it's Super Wolf, that you throw in the folder and start up.

<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:58 pm

Sockman wrote:
I'm up for a challenge Twisted Evil

The only things I need loaded are WL1 and WL6, Spear support won't be in this EXE, and I've never even heard of the 3 episode set actually being released.

I've got a wl3 version here. When Wolf3d was sold as shareware, you were able to buy it in two parts... wl3 and then came the wl6. It allowed people the option of buying what they wanted. Not too many people bought the wl3 version, but the game already does the internal check for version. It's there... built into the code.

Sockman wrote:
I don't think it will be a simple as:

Found WL1
#define UPLOAD

Found Wl6
(Don't)

Nope.. can't do that either... Those "#defines" are only addressable within the Borland compiler itself. You will have to re-write the code to address those options. (ie Things in the wl6 file that aren't available in the wl1 version).

Sockman wrote:
or is it... I'll take a look soon, but as of right now both games start except VGAGRAPH and VSWAP are messed because of the extra files in both shareware and registered.

After I'm over this hurdle, and I can figure out how to make some new menus, this multiple EXE should be cooking.

In case you're wondering what I'm trying to do: I want to update the Wolf3D.exe file, as a base for graphics, sounds, and levels modders to use in their games if they don't want source editing. Everything is customizable, probably featuring some external defintions (like the CON files in Duke3D) to allow even more creative freedom.

In other words, it's Super Wolf, that you throw in the folder and start up.

I understood what you wanted completely.. And I think it's going to take a hell of a lot of coding to get it to understand everything and self adjust within the exe for the game that is being played.

I'm working around a different problem with the work I'm doing on "Wolfenstein Plus"... But I suggested an idea to MCS and he decided to use it... That is what is allowing us to control the inards of the game itself (ie features). I thought about having it look for other extensions of the game as well... using something like ".??9" where if it finds gamemaps of say .SA9 and SB9 and so on that it would allow you to choose the mapset. But again it still meant another menu...

Then what if people change the graphics... hmmm.. so now we have to handle for that too... It's a never ending battle... I wish you the best, but I'm not holding my breath for it... Smile

Greg
BrotherTank
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:09 pm

Sounds like fun. You might also want to consider that there's many versions of each type. Wolf3d full has V1.1 and V1.4... which both have different Vgagraph settings; so one exe looks incorrect in the other. I was thinking of doing something that would make them both compatible (in the same exe) for a few months. It was something I really wanted to do, but haven't got around to it yet.

Brothertank wrote:
"#defines" are only addressable within the Borland compiler itself. You will have to re-write the code to address those options. (ie Things in the wl6 file that aren't available in the wl1 version).

You can always just replace them with a version tag (integer, list, whatever), and replace your #ifdef SHARE stuff with something like "if(version = 1)". Having both lines of code (WL1/WL6) will take up more space in the exe, so they'll probably use up more memory when together; you'll just have to work around the issues. Smile

I have an old wolfxl exe that runs both Wolf3d and Spear, but everything was handled inside the same files (the VSWAP was 2.2 meg; for instance). It would be fun to take it to the next level - having it automatically grab both sets and throw them into the same files beforehand. Creating stuff like that is a blast! I can see why you find it interesting...

Brothertank wrote:
I've got a wl3 version here.

That's cool. How did you manage to get your copy? Was it purchased and just hanging around in your back closet since 1992, or did you grab it from somewhere else afterwards? Either way, I'd love to check out the original 3-Episode version; if you're willing to share it. I've talked to many oldschool fans of the game, and searched around many places - even illegal ones, and have never found this version; or any of the original WL3 files.
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:21 am

Wolfenstein checks for files in ChekcForEpisodes(); function, or something like that. It's in WL_Main.c (As I remember). Start from there.

TexZK
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 19
italy.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:28 pm

Yep but there are some "#define"s that can't be changed by the checking episodes function, like "#define CARMACIZED" or somewhat like this
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:40 pm

TexZK wrote:
Yep but there are some "#define"s that can't be changed by the checking episodes function, like "#define CARMACIZED" or somewhat like this

Couldn't it be changed to a variable that is set to 1 when the extension is WL1? Then all the #ifdefs become ifs, etc.

Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:01 pm

To be perfectly honest, I'd almost forgotten I said I'd try this out Embarassed I guess the failure kind of deterred me from getting the project started. But it now looks as though I have a place to start. I can define a variable (gamestate.release) and it will be set to 1 for registered, or 2 for shareware (possibly 3 for WL3)

This will be checked in CheckForEpisodes(); in Wl_Main.c, and I'll change everywhere that says #ifdef UPLOAD to #if gamestate.release = 2

I could try to crack this today, as usual I'll let you know if I get anywhere.

Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:47 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Rename them logically

6 for WL6
3 for WL3
1 for WL1

And so on...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Time synchronized with the forum server time
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> DieHard Archives View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: