DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Image World - Updates and general info
Page 1 of 3 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Artists Archive View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 81
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:50 am
   Subject: Image World - Updates and general info
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

For the benefit of those who are fairly new here, or haven't visited the site in a coon's age (Missouri lingo), I'd just like to say that the Image World site has gone through some somewhat substantial growth the past couple of weeks. It started out as one page, and as of yesterday, it's up to four pages, and still growing! Most, but not all, of the additions are in the Guest section, but don't let that keep you from visiting! Laughing

For those who don't know what the Image World is, it's a site devoted to custom made character sprites from Wolfenstein 3D (or SOD...it doesn't make much difference). About half of what's there was designed by myself, and the other half has been submitted by other wolfers. Most of the characters on the page are downloadable for free for use in your project, so if you're having trouble finding a boss for your game, that might be a place to check. Some of the characters are "locked", either because I'm using them for a special project, or someone else has requested they be made "exclusive" for their project.

Anyway, enough about that...you can see all that if you visit the site. And for those who have been there before but not recently, it might be worth it to check it out again. That's it from me! The site is at: http://www.angelfire.com/droid/majikmonkee/imageworld.html Very Happy

Last edited by Majik Monkee on Thu May 18, 2006 6:22 pm; edited 4 times in total
JoeWolf
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 2
uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:59 am
   Subject: Re: Improved Image World
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Majik Monkee,
I really like this site, its fun to see what people come up with. Some are, interesting to say the least.
The gyropanzer is definately my favourite!
Joe

ps. How about making festive characters?
Hitler in an easter egg!
Hans as Santa Claus!

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:09 pm

Thanks! I really enjoy seeing what people come up with as well...at times, I feel I've exhausted all my own ideas, and it's nice to see that there is plenty of stuff I haven't thought of out there when people start submitting it. Some of the stuff I get really impresses me, and it seems a shame that some of it sits unused prior to getting put up on the site.

I seem to have a lot more time to edit and create characters than I do to work on my mod projects (don't ask how this works), and if it weren't for the image world, most of my characters would be sitting in subfolders on my PC, unsued. Heck...there's no way I could ever use everything I've created in projects of my own, unless I was cranking them out at the rate of one a month...and I guarantee you wouldn't want to play those...Laughing The site gives me a chance to create AND have the feeling of satisfaction that lot of the stuff may see the light of day in someone else's project, if not my own.

The Gyropanzer is one of my favorite creations I've done as well...it's definitely different from a lot of my other stuff. There's a chance I might make the frames available to the public before the project it's in is released, since there have been several requests for it already... Cheesy Grin

Oh, yeah...as for the festive characters, I think Ringman beat me to the Santa Clause thing...his Christmas TC he created might be a good place to look for that. As for other festive occasions, well, I suppose the sky is the limit...could be interesting to see what developed... Too Cool

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:26 am

I like wolf 3d...

...its crazy Geek
Sporb2000
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 19
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:57 pm

Am i missing somthing here? i competely cant find any submit details Sad . can ye gives me a little nudge in the right direction plz Smile

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:03 pm

You'll find the details posted in the News section of the Wolf3D Dome, which reads as follows:

Quote:
Here's an email from Majik Monkee: "I am pleased to announce the return of Monkee's Image World. After a prolonged absence from site maintenence, I am back, and ready to take submissions for the site again. Thanks to a generous server donation from one of the Wolf community members, we now have the server space to take guest submissions for an indefinite period of time. In addition, a date has been added next to the banner to make it easier to see if new news for the site has been posted to read. Thanks to everyone for their patience, and we hope to see submissions start trickling in again very soon. The new link for the Image World site is at Monkee's Image World. Thanks! ~Majik~"
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:14 pm

Majik Monkee wrote:

Uh, it is? I'm getting an "Error 404" when I click it ... Shrug
Sporb2000
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:33 pm

Tricob wrote:
You'll find the details posted in the News section of the Wolf3D Dome, which reads as follows:

Quote:
Here's an email from Majik Monkee: "I am pleased to announce the return of Monkee's Image World. After a prolonged absence from site maintenence, I am back, and ready to take submissions for the site again. Thanks to a generous server donation from one of the Wolf community members, we now have the server space to take guest submissions for an indefinite period of time. In addition, a date has been added next to the banner to make it easier to see if new news for the site has been posted to read. Thanks to everyone for their patience, and we hope to see submissions start trickling in again very soon. The new link for the Image World site is at Monkee's Image World. Thanks! ~Majik~"

That didnt explain anything Confused , refrase = how do i submit stuff? do i talk to Mr monkee IE send him an email with said images? or is there a page that you can go to to upload stuff for inspection etc etc?

EDIT: image wrld is now here http://mmimageworld.dugtrio17.com/ BTW, followed the link in dome

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:19 am

Cheesy Grin Just send em' to me, and I'll take care of the rest. The address is the same one I use here...dhw_majik_monkee@yahoo.com. Hope this helps!

DieHard SS

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:17 pm

Cool, thanks MM. Sorry if there are too many :/

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:33 am

No problem. Sure, the zip is a little big, but there's not really any size limit on what you can submit to the IW. Given how many of them there are, though, I usually keep the zip intact and include some of my favorites in a little preview image with the zip on the site.

Thanks to everyone who's been so patient while the site was in hibernation...I know it's been a long time...I needed the break so I didn't burn out, though!

I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 3
france.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:40 pm

Majik,

It is possible that you include in the rules that the images must be in bitmap format ? Because I downloaded the "BJ guard" by Mason and the files are in PNG. So, when I try to convert them, I lose colors and the images become useless. I know that you request in the rules a "correct format" but with this precision, I think that it would be better.

Very glad that your site continues. Wink

DieHard Guard

Topics: 20
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:52 pm

I allready submitted my Ghostset there. I am thinking of making more later, but for now I am going at the bosses. I have more interest in them.

btw Mr Green

Twisted Evil IMAGE OF THE MONTH! Twisted Evil
Twisted Evil w00t for mutants! Twisted Evil

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:38 pm

Loki wrote:
It is possible that you include in the rules that the images must be in bitmap format ? Because I downloaded the "BJ guard" by Mason and the files are in PNG. So, when I try to convert them, I lose colors and the images become useless.

I'm with you, Loki; fact is, there aren't a lot of great PNG-to-BMP conversion utilities out there. You might try Graphics Workshop, though it's a big download to accomplish so simple a task.

If not, I'll see about converting the images for you. PM me an E-Mail address if you're interested. Smile
Sporb2000
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:42 pm

tip: use photoshop or a re-color program to edit the colors slightly , then cut and paste from a png onto a wolfenstein 3d sprite. If the colors a vaguly similar it should look ok.

DieHard Guard

Topics: 20
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:16 am

Steel Bender

War Tool

This is a sneak peek of my next submissions!

Oh, and get this! Steel Bender's legs... they are Mancubus Guns! Bet you didn't see that coming! He doesn't move though, he is meant to be like a turret.

The war tool is kinda obvious who he is supposed to replace...

That's a sneak peek of my next submissions!

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:02 pm

I don't expect to do a *major* submission anytime soon, but I just might submit an Objects collection of sprites in the future.

The next Actor replacement to be created for my TC is something I'll probably ask someone else to do; it includes drawing a gun from eight different angles, and I'm not real good at that. Sad I *could* probably do it on my own if I just had a link to pics of such gun angles already created ... Neutral
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:04 pm

@Tricob and Loki: I don't know what you guys are talking about. PNG is the best compression method for graphics because it is always lossless. GIF is good for 256 color BMPs. JPG just generally sucks in most programs.

The problem is that you guys need to convert them to BMP using a program that utilizes the correct palette because PNG does not store a palette. Using MSPaint doesn't really cut it because it inflicts the image with it's own palette.

I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

france.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:10 pm

Me, I've only MSPaint. Of course there are always programs to convert the images in the correct format but I think that it's the work of the author when he submit stuff, not mine. Neutral

But well, with the Tricob's help, I have the images in the good format now. Too Cool

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:09 pm

Adam Biser wrote:
@Tricob and Loki: I don't know what you guys are talking about. PNG is the best compression method for graphics because it is always lossless. GIF is good for 256 color BMPs. JPG just generally sucks in most programs.

The problem is that you guys need to convert them to BMP using a program that utilizes the correct palette because PNG does not store a palette. Using MSPaint doesn't really cut it because it inflicts the image with it's own palette.

Many other image convertors do the same, or don't support conversion from 24-bit images to 256-color ones. Fact is, Graphics Workshop is the only one I've found that does the job right. To download over 4 megabytes of a program just to do a minor PNG to BMP conversion, I think that's overkill. Mouth Shut
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:17 pm

I use PSP3, which works great. I tell you what, I will finish up another little graphics program that works with most popular formats and can convert to BMP for you. I might do it this week. I was actually a "sprite sheet splitter" that would allow you to take sprite sheets from the DHW image gallery and split them into their individual files. I need to clean up the interface a lot, but I know it works with PNG.

I agree, they should be posted in ZIPs of BMPs when possible, since ZIPping will take care of compression.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 56
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:18 am

Loki wrote:
It is possible that you include in the rules that the images must be in bitmap format ?

Remember when GIFs were the ideal format for wolf3d images? Whatever happened to those days? Laughing
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:00 pm

Yeah ... FloEdit and WDC kinda ruined it for us, didn't they? Wink
Loki
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

france.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:04 pm

I find that good. WolfEdit is the past. FloEdit and WDC the present and the future. We must live with our time. Geek

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:44 am

Hi, guys! Very Happy The only utility I use for graphics stuff is MSPaint, so I'm probably on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to easy conversion abilities. I know that Mason's sprites were in PNG format, and I meant to include that in the description. In cases where I get sprites that are not in BMP format, I suggest to the submittor that they might want to convert them and resubmit. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I don't usually have the time to do such conversions myself (except for some of my older stuff that wasn't in actual Wolf3D palette I noticed not long ago). I guess it boils down to how much you want to use a set of sprites that isn't in the correct format. I do, however, accept resubmissions of zips if someone else takes a person's work and converts it to the correct format, but credit will be given to the original submittor for the actual work.

Just so those of you who are newer to submitting know, I rarely update every day, even though I'd like to. Usually one or twice a week is the norm. Also, the Image of the Month actually goes from the middle of one month to the middle of the next, because I got a bit behind a while back on updating it. Congrats to Rocketboy for getting it this time around...Smile

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:37 am

The site has been updated. I truly hope someone uses that Gremlins set for a decent mod. I loved that game on the NES, and the modifications done to the attacking and death frames look great. I actually like everything that I posted there today quite a bit...it's a good day for the Image World.

Don't forget to cast your vote for sprites that you've downloaded from the site. I know you don't have to download to vote, but unless it's a single frame, that's the only really fair way to assess whether it's a good set or not. Besides number of downloads, this is often the only feedback submittors get on their work, so please remember to vote for stuff you like (or don't like)! Very Happy

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 56
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:56 am

Loki wrote:
I find that good. WolfEdit is the past. FloEdit and WDC the present and the future. We must live with our time.

http://www.mezimages.com/vosimages/137959/RIP%20GIF.gif
http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/images/avatars/gallery/bosses/vlad.gif
http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/images/smiles/49_49.gif
http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/images/flags/france.gif
http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif
http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/templates/subSilver/images/icon_minigender_male.gif

You're right, GIFs are useless; and everyone uses bmps now! I stand corrected then. Laughing
Loki
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

france.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:00 am

Laughing Easy, very easy. Mr Green

Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:11 am

GIFs are great for 256 color images. Plus they offer transparency, unlike JPGs, making them nice for the internet (such as the template buttons you point out).

However, GIF suffered due to the whole software/algorithm patent crap a few years back. I could offer the ability to read GIFs in WDC since there is an intrinsic VB control that I can use to read them, however, if there is no intrinsic VB method to save a GIF file, which there isn't to my knowledge, then I will not allow WDC to save them as a GIF, which kind of makes GIFs almost pointless to support. I don't want to have to pay someone to use their compression algorithm in WDC.

Perhaps my understanding of their patent is wrong, but from how I understand it you only need a license from them to support saving to GIFs. You do not need one to read and display a GIF, nor do you need one to use a GIF. Granted, I don't think they'd come knocking on my door over WDC.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:55 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Adam Biser wrote:
Perhaps my understanding of their patent is wrong, but from how I understand it you only need a license from them to support saving to GIFs. You do not need one to read and display a GIF, nor do you need one to use a GIF. Granted, I don't think they'd come knocking on my door over WDC.

If you've paid for a piece of software which includes GIF-related features, than any such features that software comes with are legal for you to use. But if you yourself have to create the GIF features to be used in your programs, then it's a different story.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Artists Archive View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 3 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: