DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

ChaosEdit: Second beta phase started!
Page 4 of 6 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Beta Breakers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:09 pm
   Subject: Re: ChaosEdit: Second beta phase started!
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The statistics for "Shoots" is interesting. Remember too, though, that "50 Small Gun" and "51 Machine Gun" give you 6 bullets, and "56 Extra Life" gives you 25. I was actually playing around with that kind of stuff a few weeks ago, adding statistics to saved games that show how many times they shot in the level, how much health they picked up, their most used weapon, their lowest health, keys they found, how many times they saved. Very fun to look back on when people pass the levels! Mr Green

I tried the "Save Sprites" icon with a few games/addons and it works excellent! It's one thing to be able to program a new way to look at pictures to save space in the engine, but being able to do compression that is better than the original while still making it compatible with the original engine is even more of a challenge. I didn't even know Wolf3d would be able to read the sprites with a different kind of compression, but obviously you guys know alot of compatibility tricks. Wink

Just curious, what is the "Split Plane" (Edit Top/Bottom icon) button and "TileNumbers" for in Mapedit? I think the main reason why I assumed that it would be good to be able to edit the 64x64 mapsize was because you guys had all these other features in ProfMode (like rain, snow) that aren't in wolf3d's code either. I tried getting 80x80 maps to work the other day, it only shows the horizontal axis beyond 64 so far though. Maybe I'll try 128x32 next, and see if it'll yield any more promising results - heh.

Andi_CS wrote:
hm..okay , i can me conceive this , but can you explain this bug near , i cant recontruct it .

Ok. Just add a "Deaf Guard" floor (6A), then press AutoFloor. Now, to refresh the level, press the green arrow that says "Next Page"... then press the one that says "Previous Page"; and you'll see that the Deaf Floor disappears. Never fails on my machine.

Andi_CS wrote:
it is planed to make a possibility to set the cam-position in 3dedit over the map in mapedit , the jump to should also be no problem...

I played with it a bit, looks good so far. Seems like it's in beta phase, as the "action of changing a wall" is still enabled when you have the Goto option on - lol. I'm guessing that this (and possibly the ability to jump into walls and get stuck if you have "clip moves" on) might get fixed as the option gets more perfected. Glad that you've considered the idea already; though! Smile

Andi_CS wrote:
hm...what cpu have you ??

It's a Pentium 4/2.66ghz laptop with Windows XP Home. Enough info yet?

Andi_CS wrote:
have you really clicked on the preview ????? or only ut the cursor over it ?

I haven't tried clicking on it until you posted this, thanks for the tip. With that extra "Click to Enlarge" window you mentioned, I was able to scroll back forth through full view of each picture like I wanted. The setup is a little strange, but I guess it's tough to make things work out when you're working with pictures of all different sizes. I have a few suggestions for the interface, but I'm not sure if they'll work out better or not. Let's see...

Zoom toggle for large images:

http://www.canadianphilatelics.com/choksta/images/vgapic1.gif
http://www.canadianphilatelics.com/choksta/images/vgapic2.gif

Vertical and Horizonal centering (with transparency):

http://www.canadianphilatelics.com/choksta/images/vgapic3.gif
http://www.canadianphilatelics.com/choksta/images/vgapic4.gif

Some kind of Full/Edit Combination:

http://www.canadianphilatelics.com/choksta/images/vgapic5.gif

LOL. I don't know, I just felt like seeing what different ideas felt/looked like. Maybe the way you have it already with the hidden "click" window is the best; who knows. Wink
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

Topics: 21
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:48 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

About that floor stuff: I just noticed while painting some floors in 3DEdit, that it doesn't exactly do what I want, if I keep the mouse button pressed... Some tiles will only be set, if I leave the field with the cursor again... Strange...
Also if you use a symbollist in 3DEdit the focus doesn't automatically change to 3DEdit again, so you have to click into the main window first... quite annoying...
But I think it's very interesting to visualize the floors in 3DEdit, too! I think, I'll have to implement floor and ceiling textures for that, but I wanted to improve the 3DEdit engine anyways Wink

Oh, an extra life gives you 25 bullets? Interesting, although it's Andi's region Wink

Chris wrote:
I tried the "Save Sprites" icon with a few games/addons and it works excellent! It's one thing to be able to program a new way to look at pictures to save space in the engine, but being able to do compression that is better than the original while still making it compatible with the original engine is even more of a challenge. I didn't even know Wolf3d would be able to read the sprites with a different kind of compression, but obviously you guys know alot of compatibility tricks. Wink

Yeah, Andi really is a compression god! *gg* It's really funny those ID guys were too lazy to find out these cool things, especially as the sprites can be much more complex now without having problems with the 4k limit. But as you can see (Config page), Andi still has some tricks for it, he'll implement soon Wink

Chris wrote:
Just curious, what is the "Split Plane" (Edit Top/Bottom icon) button and "TileNumbers" for in Mapedit? I think the main reason why I assumed that it would be good to be able to edit the 64x64 mapsize was because you guys had all these other features in ProfMode (like rain, snow) that aren't in wolf3d's code either. I tried getting 80x80 maps to work the other day, it only shows the horizontal axis beyond 64 so far though. Maybe I'll try 128x32 next, and see if it'll yield any more promising results - heh.

The "Split Plane" stuff is for splitting the map into a low byte map and a high byte map, as every tile is saved in one word, but in normal Wolf only the lower byte from this word is used. We used this for our second wall layer, cause it's MUCH easier with that than calculating the appropriate tile numbers manually as I had to at first *gg* This way, I was able to just paint the tiles I wanted in the upper wall layer without messing with any numbers at all Wink
The "TileNumbers" field is for using custom tile codes you didn't add to the symbollist, yet, but as Andi put that "Goto" button above the fields where you could set your pens with this tile code, it's a bit useless currently (yes, that's a bug Mr Green).
As far as I know Andi wanted to support bigger maps at some time.

We're just discussing what we do with the "Goto" button. We wanted to put it into the toolbar, but there isn't much space anymore... Also we'd like to change the mouse cursor if the button has been pressed, so you would actually know, something has happened Wink

I wanted to add some zoom functions for the edit window, as especially the title screens are nearly uneditable with such a small view...
Also the centering screens aren't uninteresting, I'll keep that in mind, perhaps I'll implement it.
But the "Full/Edit Combination" takes up far too much space, and I really think that seperate full picture window is much more comfortable for that idea.

Again, thanks for you comments Mr Green
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:05 am

Chris wrote:
The statistics for "Shoots" is interesting. Remember too, though, that "50 Small Gun" and "51 Machine Gun" give you 6 bullets, and "56 Extra Life" gives you 25. I was actually playing around with that kind of stuff a few weeks ago, adding statistics to saved games that show how many times they shot in the level, how much health they picked up, their most used weapon, their lowest health, keys they found, how many times they saved. Very fun to look back on when people pass the levels! Mr Green

I remember putting some statistic functions to Haunted House. Kills, shots fired and hit for each weapon, you know that kind of stuff. I had a function which displayed your favorite weapon and accuracy for each weapon, I believe it might have made it's way to the demo. Cheesy Grin

Andi_CS
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: None

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:55 pm

Chris wrote:

okay iīve added the shoots , are only little changes in the sprinfo.txt Wink

Quote:

okay , iīm happy to hear that , but iīve found yesterday a little bug that can kill little pieces of sprites in rare situations .
Another bug happens on really big sprites....do you have tried to make a sprite as a pattenr from settet and not settet pixels ?? without compression it gives a sprite over 14,5 kb , with ca 12,5 kb . thats really to big for wolf and for ce v0.7 . the new version supports this but itīs yet to big for wolf , so iīm now working on a better compression for sprites like this .
That has nothing to do with the "best" sprite compression , this is another idea that works but i dont havenīt programmed at the moment .

Quote:

Andi_CS wrote:
hm..okay , i can me conceive this , but can you explain this bug near , i cant recontruct it .

Ok. Just add a "Deaf Guard" floor (6A), then press AutoFloor. Now, to refresh the level, press the green arrow that says "Next Page"... then press the one that says "Previous Page"; and you'll see that the Deaf Floor disappears. Never fails on my machine.

in future i plan to add scrollbars on mapedit , but i dont now how to do this in the moment .

on my system this bug dont appears , i dont know how and why this can be....hmmm....
have u used a gamemaps-file or added a new map and edited , have you "nothing" around the deaf guard or any other floor ? is your floor in a corner or in the middle of a room ????

Quote:

[quote="Andi_CS"]it is planed to make a possibility to set the cam-position in 3dedit over the map in mapedit , the jump to should also be no problem...

I played with it a bit, looks good so far. Seems like it's in beta phase, as the "action of changing a wall" is still enabled when you have the Goto option on - lol. I'm guessing that this (and possibly the ability to jump into walls and get stuck if you have "clip moves" on) might get fixed as the option gets more perfected. Glad that you've considered the idea already; though! Smile

Andi_CS wrote:
hm...what cpu have you ??

It's a Pentium 4/2.66ghz laptop with Windows XP Home. Enough info yet?

[/qoute]
ye s, this changing wall things are now deactivated , but yet we dont know how to make a button for the option *arg*to few place...*g*

hm...yes this should be enough...but itīs rippers stuff , maybe he know more....

Andi
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

finland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:56 am

@Adam Biser, thanks for telling about NSIS, I used to use Install Creator. Clickteam install creator has been the best do far, I've not tried NSIS yet. Clickteam Patch Maker is very convinient though.

Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:06 am

Codetech84 wrote:
@Adam Biser, thanks for telling about NSIS, I used to use Install Creator. Clickteam install creator has been the best do far, I've not tried NSIS yet. Clickteam Patch Maker is very convinient though.

Sure thing. I've not tried any other install makers except InstallShield, which sucks in my opinion. NSIS doesn't have a quick-and-easy install script maker that I know of, you have to write the script, which is easy once you do it and they do give examples. Their compression methods are pretty nice too.

Code Master
Code Master

finland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:08 am

Here's an IDE for NSIS, I haven't tested yet but it should be quite easy to use. Wink
http://hmne.sourceforge.net/

Edit:

Clickteam install creator is free and is easy to use, but the demo version will display a small "ad" when installer exits, nothing serious though. It won't redirect you anywere or anything, it says that this has been created with Clickteam install creator or something like that. NSIS is for pros when Clickteam installer is for everyone...
http://www.clickteam.com

jamez
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 13
uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:46 am

Whats happened to the chaos software website?

DieHard Guard

Topics: 25
ussr.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:15 pm

As far as Babelfish can tell me, it looks like it has something to do with money troubles.

Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 3
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:07 am

This is odd, the .org site is closed, but http://www.chaos-software.de.vu still appears to be open. Neutral
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

Topics: 21
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:07 pm

I'm currently very busy with learning for exams and in August I was working fulltime, so things "slowed down" rather to a complete stop...
The last thing I was doing on CE was implementing floor and ceiling texture stuff in 3D-Edit. There are four modes for it: None, solid colors (the floor and ceiling colors become saved in the upper left block on the map), DarkOne's texture code (floor and ceiling texture values become saved in the same block) and Chaos texture mode (the floor and ceiling texture map is saved in a third map plane (currently no engine supporting it available (we don't even have one ourselves Mr Green))).
Editing these is as simple as it should be in 3D-Edit. Just choose what you want and set it.
But it isn't finished yet and I don't have time to continue with it right now.

About our homepage: Yes, we had some problems with the guy who hosted our site, as this is the second time he simply shut down our site without telling us anything about when he wanted how much money, although he said at the beginning there wouldn't be a problem about money, he'd contact us if he wanted something...
Now we just moved, the .org url doesn't exist anymore, just use the .de.vu address, although there're still some screenshots missing and perhaps a few more files... Again no time to fix things up...
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:42 pm

I switch back and forth between Flo-Edit, WDC, and Chaos Edit; but I find that once I have used Chaos Edit the sprite graphics show up in inverted colours in the other editers.

Maybe you could look into it?

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
jamez
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 13
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:26 am

They're not inverted, its just Chaos Edit makes the files smaller, and this is how they are opened in other editors. When opening in chaos it opens them correctly because it dercrypts them.

DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:25 am

but they come out in flow edit like negatives.

does this mean I have to stick with chaos?

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
JackaL
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 30
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:56 pm

Oh good, I'm not the only one with this problem. I also switch between those 3 editors.
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:16 am

@Deathshead/Jackal: The sprite graphics are messed up huh? What version of CE are you using? Could you send me a sprite frame that messes up in WDC?

Decryption shouldn't be a problem. Sprite compression doesn't do much except eliminate the transparent spots if I remember correctly. Other than that, the pixel data isn't actually changed like it is in VGAGRAPH.

@jamez: Did you see this before and not say anything? Rolling Eyes Laughing

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:16 am

Interesting. The sprites seems to work fine in my version of WDC (1.8.220) after being compressed with ChaosEdit (tried version 0.7 and 0.6), but I see what you guys mean with the weird garble/colours when looking through Floedit.

I figured that this would have been easy to fix in ChaosEdit by reopening the VSWAP, going into Customize (the last option), and switching the Sprite Compression to "none"; therefore eliminating the compression. Funny though, the file still gets compressed to an extent on "none" (either way you do it, by uncompression or by taking a fresh vswap). Here's what the original does:

1,545,400 bytes (the original vswap)
1,423,4** bytes (Sprite Compression: none)
1,389,9** bytes (Sprite Compression: good)

Of course, if you just open a ChaosEdit-compressed VSWAP into WDC, then save it in WDC (File -> Compile -> VSWAP), it will go back to it's original size; and work properly again in Floedit. Wink
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:28 am

Chris wrote:
1,545,400 bytes (the original vswap)
1,423,4** bytes (Sprite Compression: none)
1,389,9** bytes (Sprite Compression: good)

My guess here is that CE doesn't buffer the sprite/sound chunks like the original files did. In the original file, chunks always began at a multiple of 1024 (or maybe it was 512). So if you get rid of this buffer, you can greatly reduce filesize. I had tried it before, but I thought it had messed up. I'll have to check it out again.
I'm guessing that the "sprite comp: good" means they will include the transparent pixel in a vertical pixel strand if it makes the data shorter than having two vertical strands in the same column, which it probably will for one of two transparent pixels.

I'll have to beef up some stuff in WDC. 100,000+ wasteful bytes just isn't good!

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:45 pm

Um,its the editor not being able to view the overall file properly. all sprites seem to go funny when VIEWING them, but are fine in game.

I'll send one anyway.

Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:11 pm

Deathshead wrote:
Um,its the editor not being able to view the overall file properly. all sprites seem to go funny when VIEWING them, but are fine in game.

You did read the last paragraph of my post, right?

Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth the effort to try and talk to you people. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:32 pm

Chris wrote:
Deathshead wrote:

You did read the last paragraph of my post, right?

Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth the effort to try and talk to you people. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Laughing Sorry, It seems you posted as I was typing the thread Laughing

Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:21 pm

Quote:
Laughing Sorry, It seems you posted as I was typing the thread Laughing

GAH, can't you fabricate something better than that!? At LEAST say something imaginative, like "Oh NO! My dog ate my computer just as I was typing that and then I flew up into the SUN and saw GOD there and he gave me a new computer but as a consequence I was BLINDED to Chris Chokan's post, especially the last paragraph which GOD hated because Chris Chokan always slags off the Australians, especially AreyeP who is HIS second son! And I like cheese!"

That would've been a lot more convincing.

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:25 am

Despite all the neat information given in the nickname thread, and all the coding for double walls and screenshots for wolfenstein advanced; your irony and imagination surpasses everything beyond the climax of gr9nuss in cool Simon. Smile

If laughter is healthy, I must have gotten my PhD in selling apples from you today man! Hail to the Hair.

Andi_CS
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:16 pm

hiho people...(...with long hairs*g*)

i only want say that iīm back and the work on chaosedit goes on....

Deathshead:have you still this problem or helps that was chris says ?

andi
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:25 am

Andi_CS wrote:
hiho people...(...with long hairs*g*)

Hi. That reminds me. I need more Andi pictures to hang on my wall!!! *ggG6gG9gg&256*

Oh right, this is a Chaosedit thread. So err, well then, what are your Chaosedit ideas/plans? Too Cool
Blade Nightflame
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 1

slovenia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:45 am

Internet won't let me open up the ChaosEdit website. I sooooo wanna... use that editor!

DieHard Officer

Topics: 45
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:12 am

@ Andi: Glad to hear it's being worked on, Is the next ChaosEdit going to allow sounds saving (VSWAP).

@ Nightflame: What URL did you try? Http://chaos-software.org no longer exists, you need to do http://chaos-software.de.vu

Bring 'em On

Topics: 1

slovenia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:24 am

@Kyle: Ah, thank you. I never noticed the new link.

DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:30 pm

Blade Nightflame wrote:
@Kyle: Ah, thank you. I never noticed the new link.

Yeh, that always got me too.

Andi_CS
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:51 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

*ggg*hey chris how is it with this photo ??

http://dnc.kicks-ass.org:2355/chaos.JPG
Wink

new plans , in the next time i want release the ChaosEdit V1.0 preRelease , without any restriction, all features that are there are activated.....

here a little list:
complete symboleditor(save symbols etc)
complete paletteeditor with new feature to change a color to a greyscale or to add a offset to R, G or B-Value
now activated end-screeneditor with load an save-support
sound saving is activated (yes kyle , itīs activated Wink )
better support for third plane and splitmap-editing
better selecting of showed objects(in Mapeditor)
Load All and Save All Button
better sprite compression(if i have enough time)

ripper is writing on a little new wolf-engine that uses the third plane and splitmap-features and we try to make a very little (4level?) demo....but thats not clear...need many time....

blade:yes our new address is www.chaos-software.de.vu , you can find the beta v0.7 if you go to the projectpage and from there to the beta-page....

andi
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Beta Breakers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 4 of 6 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to: