DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Coming Of The Storm by Wolf Skevos-Jones
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> U-Rate-It View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

How do you rate it ?
Fantastic
62%
 62%  [ 20 ]
Above Average
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
Average
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Below Average
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Very Poor
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Voted : 32
Total Votes : 32

Schabbs
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 33
uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:45 pm
   Subject: Coming Of The Storm by Wolf Skevos-Jones
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Wolf Skevos-Jones latest add-on 'Coming Of The Storm' is a traditional type of Wolf 3D addon but with many graphics, sounds and code changes. There are 19 seamless levels. I've found what I've played so far (9 levels) very well done. I liked levels 1 and 8 the best. How do others rate it?

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 1
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:20 pm
   Subject: Re: Coming Of The Storm by Wolf Skevos-Jones
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I voted Fantastic, the levels are well done and like I said there is diversity in the enemies, and I don't want to ruin any surprises for those that are early in the game. Mouth Shut I liked levels 1, 3, 5, 8, 11, and 18, the best. Smile
Commodore
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 15
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:00 pm

A very well done TC. The flamethrower weapon seems to have been improved from his previous TCs, but the rocket launcher often more dangerous than helpful, unless you're sure you're in a WIDE open area. The blast radius seemed a little excessive. The rifle and the assault rifle were excellent additions in my opinion, making for two strong weapons (Assault rifle, chaingun) That you could use to great effect.

A lot of Doom sprites were used, and the cathedral levels looked really excellent, with statues, stained glass windows, and bloody alters.

The levels are smart and the action is good. As in some of his previous TCs, the really stong enemies are in abundance, but luckily not as mush as before. There were a few levels where I felt like I was on my way to kill the Iron Knight, from Project: Eiesenritter (i think that's the one) But other than that, the levels were original. This TC uses the scaled sprite trick to good effect, creating good looking caves with hanging cobwebs and vines, and dark prisons with iron bars.

The second to last level was good and furious, with a nice arena to duel with the boss, and the last level, was very cool with skull wall textures and bloody stuff all over. The last battle, was extremely difficult (and I was only playing on the third difficulty setting.) with lots of ghosts sucking life from you and a really original (as far as I've seen) boss that will remind some people of ganon :)

A solid conversion. And a lot of fun. Two thumbs up!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:07 pm

I gave this a Fantastic! rating because it is fantastic! Cheesy Grin
I found the levels to be well designed and not too over the top, the Wolf 3D feel is still there. The guard placement was very good and in some cases was your challenge. I personally liked the Waffen-SS because it gave you something to look out for, ignoring them is deadly!

Overall: A very good TC that keeps true to the Wolf tradition.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:05 pm

This game have remembered a little the style of Castle Totenkopf and of Operation Heimzahlung (in levels without that monks). I will be honest here: I don't know why the wolfers have judged this game an add-on like the original. By the technical part this game is amazing. It have a lot of hard work, its a game that you can play and remember of it years later.
JackaL
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 30
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:26 am

I havn't had time to play it much but i'm just on level 2. So far its cool and I like the machine gun, it looks cool as. I also really like WSJ's Project Eisenritter. Nice Work Mr Green
KyleRTCW
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 45
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:31 pm

Sorry for the later post, but since this is near the top, I didn't think It matter.

Fantastic, well designed levels, nice features, good weapons, nice bosses, very nice amount of enemies. 10/10 It's like everything you look for in a TC is there,.

Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:39 pm

Last edited by Thomas on Thu May 26, 2011 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
WSJ
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:43 pm

LOL... Thanks. Smile

KyleRTCW wrote:
It's like everything you look for in a TC is there

When I make a mod, I try to include things that I myself would look for. Since people have different preferences, not everyone will like my add-ons... but I'm glad that a fair number of people have so far.
KyleRTCW
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 45
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:23 pm

Also, the music wasn't bad either, my favorite one was the one that goes "Du du du du, du du du du"

Fav Level: 16 (monk boss)
Fav Weapon: Assault Rifle (5)
Fav Guard: Assualt Rifle Guards Smile
Fav Boss: End one.

There was only one thing I didn't like but didn't mind. It was the cyan bricks. To me, anything to a "Cyan" color doesn't really blend into the "world war II" stuff. But I really Didn't mind it because it was used well..

Also, are you planning on making the source code availible and/or map defs (if you do, I hope they ain't floedit!), after Todpfad is done (hopefully Laughing ) I wouldn't mind making an Addon of off COming of the Storm, even just the map defs would be fine. I just ove the game. So MUCH VARAITY!

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:10 pm

For a mod with as many changes to the code as this, I expected there to be at least some engine-related glitches, or map-related problems. It seems to crash in the middle of the game if you play several complete levels-worth in one sitting, but that's nothing compared to all the buggy Mods out there that I've tried out (even some of the most popular ones). There are no map-related glitches of any kind.

And here's something I don't often say about any game at all (I already said this to WSJ in a PM, but not in the Forum, where others canl read about the game) - Just when you think there's nothing unexpected the game can offer you, another new character is introduced. It makes for fascinating gameplay that keeps the player coming back for more, and that's what a good game is supposed to do. It's supposed to be entertaining, because entertainment is what games are all about.

The only thing I have to complain about would be that there's so much of the wall graphics from the Lost Episodes of SOD. Aside from the ray-traced pictures you'll find on various walls, I never really liked the graphics of Lost SOD very much. There aren't many Wolf fans out there that seem to agree with me on this though, so I wouldn't worry to much about that minor criticism.

And anyway, my dislike for the Lost SOD graphics is why I submitted some of my own wall images to MM's Image World; I simply like my own images better, and it gave users something besides the Lost SOD walls to work with.
WSJ
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:37 pm

I used a lot of LE graphics in my mods because I thought that some of them really shined when it came to detail and were a good way of enriching a level... I always believed that the new graphics were one of the few strong points of the Lost Episodes, while other things, such as levels and story, were somewhat lacking. But everybody's entitled to an opinion, and there are a lot people in the community who don't care for the LE graphics. It could just be that I liked that style of artwork. Even so, I'm trying to move away from using LE graphics (as well as graphics from other games.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:55 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Coming of the Storm is one of my favorites. I loved the Gewehr 43 semiautomatic shotgun so much that I never got around to using the assault rifle. Rounding a corner and picking off a mutant with one
shot is very satisfying. It's like The Deer Hunter. One shot. I later came to enjoy frying mutants with the flame thrower in Project: Eisenritter, (I didn't use it once in COTS).

I thought the limitations of the rocket launcher was a great idea. I've never been fond of ghosts, though.

I exchanged e-mails with Wolf about this one, and my only negative comments concerned the number of available rockets, particularly for floor 16, and the lack of explanation that the backpack increases the weapon that you're currently carrying, as opposed to one which needs topping up.

On the basis of Coming of the Storm, I chose Project: Eisenritter and Operation: Heimzalung as my next two Wolfenstein games, so that's probably the highest compliment that I can give the creator.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> U-Rate-It View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: