DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

The Tower
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Poet
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

Topics: 41
norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:17 am
   Subject: The Tower
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hello, this is Poet.

From some posts in this forum I understand that some people find The Tower to be rather difficult.

When I first started making Wolf levels I decided to make them varied, non-linear and unpredictable. In addition I wanted to include puzzle solving elements but in a limited manner to avoid situations where the player could get stuck. The Wolf-Extra and Wolf Hour series have very expansive levels with many secret and initially inaccessible areas and a lot of player choices making the gameplay develop differently depending on the players’ choices, but whatever you choose to do you can never get really stuck.

With The Tower I wanted to explore further the possibility of including puzzle solving elements in a Wolf game utilising both new features like the missile launcher, exploding barrels and death chalices, as well as original features (deaf or moving enemies, locked doors, pushwalls, special use of floor codes etc.), but knowing that this had to allow for the possibility of having the player become real stuck and needing to restart the level. Therefore the levels of The Tower are noticeably smaller than those of my previous sets. In the text file I also offer general hints as well as advising the player to leave a save at the beginning of each level.

If you come across a situation in The Tower where it seems impossible to advance (due to the amount of enemies, the lack of supplies or seemingly inaccessible areas) you are meant to figure out special methods to get onward or bypass the obstacles. This requires that the player involves him- or herself but also that he/she has some knowledge of the Wolf3D engine (from a player’s point of view). Therefore new players and those who are unfamiliar with my games may not be prepared for what they get. To them The Tower Hint Manual will be a very handy resource.

The number of downloads has been immense but the feedback (with a few exceptions) has come from people not known in the Wolf community. It would be interesting to know how many of the people in this forum have finished the game, with or without the use of the Hint Manual.

Best regards, Poet.
ZuljinRaynor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 19

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:47 pm
   Subject: Re: The Tower
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I'm sorry, Poet, but I found the Tower structured poorly. No offense but the maps seemed too small mazy.
Otto
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 2

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:41 pm

Hello. I think The Tower is great, the levels are great, everything is great. I like puzzles, and The Tower have a lot of them. Very Happy
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 25
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:46 pm

ZuljinRaynor, you found the game "structured poorly"? What in blazes does that mean? Wouldn't it have been more accurate to say that Poet's title was not precisely what you look for in a Spear of Destiny mod? Certainly, I really can't see how somebody could qualify as "poor" a title like "The Tower". Yes, it's not a game that everybody can enjoy, but "poor"? Please! I wish there were more "poor" mods like Poet's then!

"To each their own" the saying goes, right?

Ariel.

PS: I've been playing the game for a while now. It's been taking some time to figure out what to do exactly on each level, and since I've been trying to get as many points as possible, my progress's been slow. I'm on level 15 at the moment, will post again when I'm done. Wink

Pixel Master

Topics: 23
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:38 am

Like with any mod, some people will like it, some won't. But it's good to see people try different things to cater for different tastes. Some people like a tough challenge, some like it easy. You can't please everyone. I've only played the first couple of levels of the Tower, but it's sitting in among approx 15 other selected mods that I want to play properly soon. I'll be interested to check it out properly after our current project to see how much of a challenge it is.

The one thing I know for certain is that Poet puts a lot of time and thought into his mods. And these are the type of mods I like to have saved up for playing in future. Far better than something that's been banged together with errors etc.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:41 am

Arielus wrote:
ZuljinRaynor, you found the game "structured poorly"? What in blazes does that mean? Wouldn't it have been more accurate to say that Poet's title was not precisely what you look for in a Spear of Destiny mod? Certainly, I really can't see how somebody could qualify as "poor" a title like "The Tower". Yes, it's not a game that everybody can enjoy, but "poor"? Please! I wish there were more "poor" mods like Poet's then!

"To each their own" the saying goes, right?

Ariel.

PS: I've been playing the game for a while now. It's been taking some time to figure out what to do exactly on each level, and since I've been trying to get as many points as possible, my progress's been slow. I'm on level 15 at the moment, will post again when I'm done. Wink

Well, some of the sprites and stuff were too flattly. The rocket launcher enemy walked like a boss but he was so skinny. Stuff like that.
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:43 am

At first I really hated this game. The first level was too hard, and it wasn't that inspiring... But I eventually (after reading the very cool and atmospheric story again) resolved to make my way - painfully slowly - through the game. Then I realised it was actually a work of genius! I love some of the source code features especially, and the way they are used in the levels. I personally also really like the way that the game was in the original Wolfenstein 3d graphical style, but with new enemies, weapon etc.
An extra treat for me was when I opened up the maps in WDC and found that they were all shaped like the Tower would be in real life! Just like level 11 of SOD.
What I still don't like are the things you have to do, such as getting enemies to come through the door to get it to open, or to not shoot an enemy so he can open a door for you later etc. Although there is a great sense of satisfaction from getting it right, all to often I get horribly confused. I still haven't finished the game yet, because there's such an element of trial-and-error involved that it takes me about 2 hours to finish ONE level! I'm stuck on one at the moment where I'm in a room that's one square big, with a locked door in front of me. Nothing seems to be happening... How do I get out of THAT one? Or was that my dream?.... Ahh well...
Still, certainly in terms of innovation and originality, the Tower is without doubt way up the top of the charts.

Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 2

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:07 am

Hair Machine, I think you are talking about the beginning of level 12. Just wait, a guard will open that door for you.
WSJ
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:55 pm

At first, I was really intrigued by this add-on. However, I wasn't expecting it to be so difficult to win, and I guess that kind of turned me off. I kept getting stuck, I couldn't beat a single level without cheating, and after a while, I stopped trying to play it. So I found the game to be too frustating... but I'm just one person.

As I've said before, if you're going to place such high expectations on the player, you should give them fair warning first. Most people who download Wolf3D mods are just looking for some easy entertainment... the original Wolf3D, after all, was a simple shooter. The Tower is more of a puzzle game than a shooter. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just saying that it's a lot different in terms of gameplay, and some people who expected to be able to blaze their way through (with some puzzle-solving involved) may find it a bit frustrating.

Similarly, some people have complained that my add-ons were too difficult. When I created them, I gave them the same amount of challenge that I myself would want from an add-on... not too easy, but not next to impossible. But it was still too much for some people. So I stated in some of my add-ons "This game is difficult, but not impossible to beat. You might want to save often." That way, more people would be forewarned and were less likely to get upset.

A game without a challenge isn't fun, but neither is a game with too much challenge. And though "challenge" is important, "fun" is more important. It's the most important factor in any game, because that's what games are about.
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:50 pm

Well, we all have our own opinions on what makes something good or bad, don't we? Talking about games, or games' mods, it is true that letting people know what they should expect from them before they play them, download them, or even -and most importantly- purchase them is a great move and sometimes a vital one.

We're talking about Spear/Wolf mods here, and no, there's no discussion it's not a bad idea to warn players properly within README files. I'd say it'd not be a bad idea, either, to do the same within the messages we always see when we download our sets here or at Brian's Yellow Pages. Brian himself writes accurate descriptions of the mods he receives, so we more or less know what we're gonna get after clicking on the 'You can get it here' button, but he can't do all the job, can he? Sometimes, when a set turns out too different from what the community is used to playing, it's my opinion that the creator themself should state so not only within a README file, but also within a message before the download button, so everybody would know what they'll be facing even before grabbing it - Some of us still have a Dial Up connection. Sad

"The Tower" is unique, and therefore, there should have been a decent forewarning behind it. Poet did take care of that, didn't he? He wrote down his mod's characteristics within the README file enclosed in the mod's package. That should do it, if you ask me, though a proper notice before the download button wouldn't have hurt. I can't quite say whether this was done or not, I've got two versions of "The Tower" here, I honestly don't remember where I got them from, and I don't remember what the description above the download button was, heh...

Anyway, I just wanted to say again that I can't see how this mod could be called "poor". It offers the player a complete new gameplay atmosphere, it's indeed nothing like any other set, and given the massive amount of titles that compose the Spear/Wolf mod catalogue, saying such a thing is no joke. Just by playing through the tunnels section, that is, the first 5 levels, 6 if you manage to find the secret level corresponding to that section, one can undoubtedly say that Poet devoted a lotta time to his product. Sadly, such a commitment is not something we see that often nowadays around here, don't you all agree?

"Poor"? No f***in' way.

Ariel.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 45
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:53 pm

ZuljinRaynor wrote:
The rocket launcher enemy walked like a boss but he was so skinny.
That's because it was modifed off a boss, some people don't really have the memory to make all those gfx, plus, it's realistic, he's sidesteping, that way, he can't turn his back on you. In other words, he is "Alert"

Anyways I found the Tower to be pretty good, I dislike the mazy levels and I hate the guards behind objects trapping them Not Happy . But, it was a nice addon, I like it.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 57
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:14 pm

Wow, this addon is sounder cooler and cooler with every comment. I love near-impossible situations where you really have to use your brain to figure things out! Reminds me alot of the things I was trying to do in the "Live Brains" episode in Chokage - which had a messload of areas where you need to get guards to open doors, to try not alarm them in certain sections, having weird floorcodes tricks, bugs like teleporting without knowing about it (as the left side looks just like the right), having two doors that can open at once, solid objects becoming walkthroughable if you beat the level in certain order, secret passages that shouldn't push right away, places where you have to race to get to different areas, levels that actually connected together, not being able to save through the whole game to get a key at the last level. Ah, I could go on forever about the ideas and cool situations where they could be used. I love this kinda stuff! lol.

I guess "fun" depends on what you think as fun. I was kind of disappointed that the original levels didn't utilize all the tricks that engine can already allow - atleast for one episode. I guess they were trying to create something that makes sense in real life and not confuse the player too much. Not everyone likes puzzle games, but I certainly find them interesting - especially when they have really ridiculous stories that can actually be helpful if you try to take all the illogical details into consideration. Smile

Arielus wrote:
"Poor"? No f***in' way.

Ok, if ZuljinRaynor doesn't like the style of the game; and find the maps too small and mazy, you should respect his opinion. Atleast he's brave enough to write what he doesn't like about it, instead of being afraid of getting ridiculed by people like you about it. Not everyone has to have to exact same opinion as yours Ariel. Rolling Eyes
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:26 pm

And I'm not saying that the whole world should think the way I do, am I, Chris? Stating your opinion is one thing, but there're appropriate ways to do it, don't you think? Deliberately calling something "poor" when that something does not deserve by any means that category doesn't do, from my point of view. Instead, say something like "it's not what I expected it to be", or "it was not the type of mod I felt the desire to play", or "it was too difficult for me myself", or whatever does justice. I find it absolutely unfair to hear somebody say "The Tower" is a "poor" set when that is not how it should be referred to, even if it is the one thing you feel the most deep and horrible hatred for in the world.

As always, just my thoughts...

Ariel.

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:27 pm

He didn't say it was poor, he said that he "found it structured poorly"; meaning his own personal opinion. What's wrong with that? He even apologized while saying it. If anything, I think that your comments about "does not deserve by any means that category" and "don't you all agree?" is alot worse; since you're not stating them as your opinions - more like facts. I see you taking shots at him left and right, can you please just leave the guy alone?

That's all I was asking. I didn't like alot of things about TGE when I first started playing it, as you already know, so I understand how ZuljinRaynor feels. You're also insulting alot of upcoming sets with your opinion "such a commitment is not something we see that often nowadays around here". It's great that you really like The Tower, but there's no need to try and start flaming people who honestly don't like the set. Right?

If I misinterpreted your comments Ariel, than I'm sorry; but that's how they came off to me. Anyways, I have to walk to work now. Apparently there's going to be a huge tornado outside... Smile
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:09 pm

ZuljinRaynor stated his own opinion, and although it doesn't equal mine, I respect it. I'd be a dickhead if I believed everyone should think the way I do. Never in this thread did I attack him or something for having a point of view different from mine. If it sounded as though I wanted to, then I'm sorry, 'cause that was not my intention. I only let him know that the way in which he said he doesn't like "The Tower" was not the best. In his first post, he didn't say he thought the set was poor, he directly called it like that, or did I miss anything? I wouldn't have opened my mouth an inch if he'd clearly said it was only his opinion. Of course it's great to listen to what others have to say. I never ever ever ever complained when someone said something I didn't agree with, did I? All I'm saying is that there are ways and ways to say what you believe, and I don't think the way ZuljinRaynor expressed his opinion on "The Tower" was the best. Everything I tried to do was to let him know how to express himself. Did I, as you said, insult him, ridicule him, or take shots at him in the process? It was not my intention.

I agree with you about the "don't you all agree?" thing. You're right there. That's not the way I should've worded things. It sounded as though I considered everyone should believe what I do. Quite contradictory of me, huh? My bad.

I appreciate your honesty about "The Golden Episodes"; I'm really glad to see that your opinion on it has improved as time's passed by. Anyway, if ZuljinRaynor, as you say, has just started playing "The Tower" and not gone through a big part of it, then I think his post is not only badly written, but also not precise at all. How can you reach such an opinion as his when you've only played a little of the game? Besides, Poet was actually hoping that people who have literally finished the game would post here, and I don't think anyone, me included, maybe with Otto as an exception, has yet. Sure, you can give good opinions after playing some of the game, not necessarily the whole of it, but hey, bear in mind that, firstly, your opinion should be properly stated and, secondly, that it may not be exactly what you'd think if you'd played a bigger part.

Again, the idea of attacking ZuljinRaynor never crossed my mind. Nor did I intend to flame others who, unlike me, don't like the set. Everybody's free to like what they want, I've always said so. Personally, I don't know why saying that "such a commitment is not something we see that often nowadays around here" when I was talking about Poet's effort is something that should be taken as an offense to upcoming mods. What part of it makes it sound as though it's offensive? It's my opinion that it's becoming unsual to see mods being released after having undergone what one would consider a fair amount of dedication, and I allowed myself to say this the way I did because I don't think I'd be wrong if I said there are many who believe the same. Yes, I could've been wrong when I assumed this.

Well, I'll better shup the f**k up now and go play some of the game already, to see whether I can pass level 15 once and for all. By now, Poet must be regretting having started this thread - LOL, so I'll better go there and try to come back next time with some answers to what he asked in the very first place... Mr Green

DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:22 pm

Started playing it!? Arielus, I had it on my old computer since february. I played the whole thing and all I remember is having not a lot of fun. I stated my poinion after playing the whole thing. What I found good but a bit annoying was that you were able to keep repeating a secret level and a normal level as much as you wanted.
Poet
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

norway.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:33 am

Thanks for the replies so far, for all the interesting comments and for the many nice comments too.

As for giving the players an idea about what the game is like I did this in the Readme (like Ariel said). This Readme (The Tower txt file) is posted at the site making it possible to read it before downloading.

Like I said in the first post the levels are made relatively small since the player may end up in a situation where he/she has to start the level all over. Having too big levels would then be unfair.

But the levels are growing bigger unit after unit, level 1 is smaller than all. But most of the levels are in fact not smaller than many of the original levels, but they are more compact.
As for the levels being mazy, only levels 1, 4 and parts of level 14 are mazes, literary speaking, in my opinion. Many levels, especially the upper ones have definitely more rooms than corridors. But from a logical point of view they may all be called mazy since it takes a lot of figuring out to get onward.

Level 4 is probably one of the overall most difficult levels to get through. I remember thinking that having this level that early would put some players off. But I really like this level too and it fitted in with the atmosphere of the first unit. But I wouldn't be surprised if this was the level that made you quit WSJ.

Otherwise I consider the opening sequence to level 15 the most difficult from a puzzle solving point of view (good luck Ariel Smile ), but others may think differently of course. This level being the last of the third unit and therefore coming later than the very special (and big) secret castle level I wanted to avoid leaving the player with a "oh, back to normal" feeling Wink

Level 21 is the hardest from a fighting point of view.

Level 17 is almost without puzzle solving (I say almost since there is some puzzle solving towards the end). This is the ramparts level. I thought of this level as a special treat to all players who reach this far, giving him/her a chance to relax the mind (not the reflexes!) with some pure fighting fun.

Like several have stated many of the levels are very time consuming.
ZuljinRaynor you say you have played it all without having any fun, then you must have spent a very long time not having fun Smile unless you cheated or followed the Hint Manual very closely in which case playing wouldn't be much fun anyway.

Quote:
What I found good but a bit annoying was that you were able to keep repeating a secret level and a normal level as much as you wanted.

Good to see you liked something but I am not quite sure what you mean with "able to keep repeating a level".

Well anyway, like I said, thanks for the replies and the nice and interesting comments from many. To Otto, Ariel and Kyle RTCW, and Hair Machine too, I am really glad you liked the game.

Poet.
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 81
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:42 am

I haven't ever played this game, but I must say I'm intrigued! The first time I heard of it was in the context of it being a very difficult puzzle type mod, but I didn't try it at the time, and sort of forgot about it. Now, here it is again, being discussed on the basis of it's high puzzle challenge factor. I can't imagine a mod that would stump so many experienced Wolfers, and though I don't believe myself to be remotely the best at playing these games, I can't resist the challenge this presents! It's one thing to take a basic FPS engine like Wolfenstein and make another basic FPS out of it...it's a different thing to take that same engine and make a challenging puzzle game out of it. I'm at least going to give it a look...it sounds pretty interesting... Cheesy Grin

Code Master - Developer

norway.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:37 pm

I hope you find it interesting too, Majik. Smile

On a general note, about the Hint Manual I mentioned earlier. This is a very handy tool in HTML format, with step by step descriptions of each map. A walkthrough, in fact.
While the die hard puzzle solver won't want to use it, for others there are many ways in which it may come to use. One way I recommend is, if possible, to have someone else to look at it to give out some vague hints without really spoiling anything. How to use it is of course for anyone to decide and therefore I need to correct myself a little:

Quote:
followed the Hint Manual very closely in which case playing wouldn't be much fun anyway.

That was a slip on my part. Of course, like I say in the manual's warning, studying the maps will ruin the challenge of solving the game. But the Hint Manual is there to be used, and used the way anyone wants to. If somebody have fun playing the game with the hint Manual as a ready reference to resort to, a little or a lot, by all means. It’s perfectly possible to enjoy the game that way. In what manner to play is for anyone to decide.

Poet.
ZuljinRaynor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:42 pm

Poet wrote:
ZuljinRaynor you say you have played it all without having any fun, then you must have spent a very long time not having fun Smile unless you cheated or followed the Hint Manual very closely in which case playing wouldn't be much fun anyway.

First I downloaded the Tower. I seemed good from a writing perspective. But when I acctually played it, it seemed horrible. I later got the hint manual (after beating the Tower) and checked out what I missed. But that computer was messing up the maunual so I forgot it. The first level really threw me off it the tiny-ness and mazy layout. Every level is a maze! I know "puzzle." But it was too much. I like puzzles but these were not the best. Probably cause the whole thing was a puzzle!!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:35 pm

I downloaded it about 1 year ago, I tried to figure it out how I can pass one of key behind secret where Death (pnk) chalice sits there, got killed without knowedge Embarassed keep try and get killed again and again, I gave an idea myself how it works without get killed by Face against wall and start keep search the wall (hold down spacebar and up arrow at same time) and find the secret room then I've very careful to get out of secret room and I do repeat same thing when I find another Death (pink) chalice. Right now I figured out what prevents you from getting killed when you contact with Death Chalice..

This Games is completely PUZZLE me out of this game....But I love it and was put Poet's TC in 3rd Place in HW Awards Page.. Smile

@Poet: if you don't know my website is, then take a look at this page and there is your award Star Smile

Last edited by Guest on Tue May 25, 2004 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:05 pm

<Howling Wolf> wrote:
Right now I figure it out that there is *27 monkeys* in that level to prevents you from getting killed when you contact with Death Chalice..

Haha, yeah... at first I thought it had to do with directions or guntypes or something, but than I realized: "well, this *pizza with anchovies under the poster* has to have some kind of purpose" and stumbled across this observation you mentioned too, along with a few other neat tricks. The orange door behind the silver barrel looks interesting, I have a few theories of how to get to the other side of the slime walls (well, I'm assuming that there's another side to it now - lol), but I've just started diving into level 1, and it's getting more and more interesting every time I dig through it's structure again.

Let's try not to spoil too many surprises from the game though Howling Wolf. You could have just said "I figured out what prevents you from getting killed when you contact with Death Chalice" instead of spoiling the secret, right? Wink

EDIT: Woah, thanks for the edit HW. I've updated my post too... Pizza
Poet
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

norway.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:19 am

Thank you, Howling Wolf, for the award! Smile

Original Wolf and Spear is programmed in a way that makes you pick up an item when you see it right in front of you (probably to make it seem realistic).
But this means that if you back into it then turn around and walk away from it, or if you sidestep through it, you will avoid picking it up.
In The Tower it was vital that the player should not be able to pass a death chalice without picking it up, so I had to change the code regarding picking up items.

I have noticed that some features of Wolf3D (and of some other Id games) sometimes act differently depending on what OS it is run under. The fire balls of the Hitler ghost for instance act differently on some newer machines making it a lot easier to get the "get newactor-no free spots in objlist" error when using it.

But the coding for picking up items in The Tower has been tested on three different generations of machines to ensure that it is not possible to enter a square with an item without picking it up. Regarding the death chalice the player must find out how to pass it (pick it up) safely.

ZuljinRaynor you are of course in your perfect right not to like the game and to say so. But I still say you must have spent very long time on -, and showed a lot of dedication for something you obviously dislike very much, if you have finished the game without any help at all.

Poet.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:49 am
   Subject: !!!

Yeah, I noticed that a few times in Spear: Resurrection especially, where you can sometimes just run backwards or on an angle and avoid getting nailed by the Death Artifacts and Acid Spills. It actually made for some fun strategies, like being able to flip around to open that door at the start or level 7, or moving at the right angle through the acid spills on Level 15 to get all 25% bubbles without losing any of it (both in SR). Seems like you put alot of effort into getting that detail fixed though. Smile

Poet wrote:
The fire balls of the Hitler ghost for instance act differently on some newer machines making it a lot easier to get the "get newactor-no free spots in objlist" error

If that's true, than they must be shooting more/faster on newer machines. As you probably know, it keeps spawning them until it reaches 149 actors. I guess you could just use an "if statement" to make them stop shooting after 149 actors exist, to avoid the game crashing. Making them shoot less at a time, but more powerful flames would probably work better too; or having less enemies in your level (when possible).

Don't know about ZuljinRaynor, but I'm more interested in exploring all the details and playing this game the way it was meant to be played. I'm curious to see how well I can compare against Ariel's engenious, observant puzzle-solving mind - lol. Like you said, cheating in a game of this nature takes away most of the real fun anyways. Mr Green
Adhesive_Boy
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 9

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:46 pm

Just a quick note:

I will admit that I never played The Tower as much as I should've, but after being intially frustrated by the difficulty when I first played it, I started to get the hang of it and enjoy it much more. There certainly is a great level of strategy involved, and though I like to have more freedom as a player, it's still a very unique and well thought out set from what I played. Anyway, I mentioned that I was enjoying it a lot to a few people just after the release, and a lot of them seemed indifferent to it at the time - so it's good to see that it is finally growing on people now.

DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:56 pm

Well, Poet, I have to say that you did a good GFX conversion. You replaced things so they look good (ie. Status Bar) instead of doing some changes. I hate it when people change somethings but not all.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:36 pm

Yup, I do remember you telling me about this game Jack; that was the first time I seriously considered downloading it. I know what you mean about "freedom of the player", sometimes it's nice to dive into really open, semi-easy levels where you can just explore. Like you said, though, it can also be a blast sometimes to play games like Temporary Insanity where you need to do a little more then just find the elevator/keys and kill all the bad guys. I like it how you said the game was growing on you as you kept playing, it's working pretty much the same over here. If the ideas are creative and well thought out, I'm sure that atleast some people would be able to enjoy the adventure. Mmm... variety. Smile

ZuljinRaynor wrote:
I have to say that you did a good GFX conversion. You replaced things so they look good

Really? It was actually the graphics that turned me off from playing the game in the first place. Having two versions of the mutants but in different colours (the red one looking kind of strange with the "erased" sqaure that doesn't match with the rest of his body), having a drabby grayish black status bar like in every other addon, the way the words on the title screen were just sliced off and replaced with "The Tower" in rough flavourless colours, how the colouration of some keys look kind of strange on the status bar; just to name a few initial things that I didn't like.

I've realized though, that disliking many of the graphics in The Tower can be a good thing. It makes the game feel more "modest", and makes you want to focus even more on the levels and strategies themselves; and find some kind of pleasure within them instead. I'm assuming that those graphics were just kind of an extra, while the real work was put into the levels. Alot of games where I found the graphics kind of cheezy and unoriginal turned out to be pretty fun after awhile (Chemical Warfare, The Golden Episodes), so it's not really an area that I try to expect too much from people anymore; personally.
Poet
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

norway.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:34 am

ZuljinRaynor, I am glad you liked the graphics conversions, and thanks for mentioning it. I too think one can create an impression through moderate and “toned down” means.

Hey Chris, about those keys on the status bar. I actually put some work into them. By using a lot of different colours on each but still giving each a distinct main colour I wanted to make them match each other and the status bar, being small but bright.
I was in fact quite satisfied with the result, but evidently not everybody thinks the same Smile
Otherwise the graphics I put quite some work into were the new outdoor images that I made from scratch.

About the Hitler ghost fire balls. Thanks for the suggestions.
They seem actually to move a lot slower on some machines (they are still floating in the air long after they should have hit a wall). Then the Hitler ghost starts firing again, and that does it.

Poet.
Poet
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:52 am

Just a note.

A Wolfer recently suggested to me that I should put up a page for Tower add-ons made by others, and I said I would.

A version of the tower.exe called ETOWER meant for add-on makers is available at my site with all necessary files.

I mention this just in case anyone here has made a Tower add-on (ETOWER has had some downloads) then you are invited to send it to me.

(BTW the Hitler ghost I mentioned earlier is not used in The Tower. That was just a general observation on my part).

Best regards, Poet.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:00 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I'm not sure if anyone cared (lol), but here's an easy way to make the FloatingHitler's stop shooting once they reach the 149 limit (to avoid that "no free spots" error). Just add the lines in red to WL_ACT2.C:

::: CODE :::
void T_FakeFire (objtype *ob)
{
   long   deltax,deltay;
   float   angle;
   int      iangle;

if (!objfreelist)
      return;

deltax = player->x - ob->x;

Interesting point about "matching" keys. I've been a little busy lately, but I'm looking forward to finding these outdoor images on my journey through your crazy levels Poet. Smile
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: