DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Operation Body Count Is Abandonware
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Other Wolf3d Based Games View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:29 pm
   Subject: Operation Body Count Is Abandonware
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

In case this isn't news to you, OBC is abandonware. I got my copy off C:DOS- http://www.cdos.org/std_games_review.php?id=184
(by the way I'm silicone_youth on C:DOS)
I just wanted to let you know the FULL VERSION is avalible to the public. That is all.
ZuljinRaynor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 19

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:25 am
   Subject: Re: Operation Body Count Is Abandonware
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Abandonware is a miss used term actually. Although a game is considered "abandonware", it still is copyrighted and such. All that happened is that the company doesn't pay attention to the game anymore.

Example: Blackthorne -by Blizzard
is on the Underdogs site and yet, Blackthorne has been ported to GBA.

http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=1847

GameFAQs wrote:
What is "abandonware", and is it legal?
Abandonware is a generic term for software titles that are no longer available for purchase from any source, usually computer games that are several years old. While many software companies turn a blind eye to their distribution at this point, it is still a technical violation of copyright to distribute or download copies of "abandoned" games.

In case you are interested.
Schabbs
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 33
uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:13 am

Wolfenstein 3D is on cdos.org too, though it's listed as copyright/protected and is 'unavailable'. Wolfenstein Spear Resurrection is also listed and can be downloaded from there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:44 am

Shocked Wolfenstein 3D developed by 11th Dimension Entertainment.

Is it true or what Question if ID software figures it out, then they will pissed at 11th DE Evil or Very Mad
Mishran
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 5
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:31 pm

ZuljinRaynor wrote:
Abandonware is a miss used term actually. Although a game is considered "abandonware", it still is copyrighted and such. All that happened is that the company doesn't pay attention to the game anymore.

Actually in Corridor 7 and Body Count's case, the company no longer exists. So are they abandonware or just orphans? How can a game be abandoned by a company that no longer exists? I just wish the C7 source code could have been released. Can you imagine what could have been done with that game? Shocked Wolfenstein mods couldn't possibly stand up to decked out C7 mod! Twisted Evil

It still pisses me off that Capstone went on to produce Fate instead of Corridor 8.... bastards Mad That mistake is what killed them! That and the other two dozen lousy games they made. Stupid Capstone. Neutral

Check out my Corridor 8 Overview
ZuljinRaynor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 19

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:37 am

Then they are "Apandonwared Orphans" meaning, Freeware, I think.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:21 am

Actually, Capstone was bought out by someone... It was orginally owned by Pinnacle (spelling) software, which if I'm not mistaken still exists. Anyhow, while the game is not available for purchase, it does not mean that someone still doesn't hold the rights to the game.

You might want to check deeper... But these games are not abandonedware....

Greg
BrotherTank
Mishran
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:03 am

Actually, I think it was Intracorp that owned Capstone. Actually, Capstone was just a "name" that Intracorp branded on their crappier games. Capstone, if I'm not mistaken was never an entity... just, as I mentioned, a name. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Frenkel
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 7
netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:40 pm

Quote:
I think this is the official website of Corridor 7 and Operation: Body Count (more or less).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:37 pm

OBC and Corridor 7 both say (C) 1994 IntraCorp so that settles who has rights to it. The CD version of Corridor 7 is up for sale but OBC is not. I guess that makes it abandonware or freeware or whatever you think of it as. Did they ever make diffrent versions of OBC anyway?
Mishran
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:59 pm

I have the answer to everything! Including why AweGames has the Intracorp games on their site. I sent an e-mail to them and below is the response I got back. I placed it in quotes to make it easier to see...

Quote:
The link between C7 and AweGames is through the people who work here. Most of us worked for Capstone on the C7 project. I was the lead programmer, James Wheeler was in charge of QA, Scott Nixon was the artist for the creatures and also had a hand in the game design. We do not own the rights to C7. I'm thrilled to see a fan-site up for it though as it was one of my favorite games and I've always tossed around the idea of making a sequel.

I'll see what I can dig up in my archives to send you.

Les Bird

p.s. One other feature we added to the Wolf3D engine was the diminished lighting effect when looking down long corridors. Also, in the CD version I added IPX/modem networking for multiplayer deathmatching.

You chaps can thank me later! Cheesy Grin Hopefully he still has the source code. I'd probably faint if I actually received it in an e-mail. This is so cool! Too Cool

WSJ
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:09 pm

Wow... Les Bird is still around?? That's too cool!

I trust you'll keep us updated, Mishran? Cheesy Grin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:49 pm

Yeah...thats awesome...playing around with an idea for a sequel? That would of been twice as awesome!
Mishran
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:16 am

He's still looking for the source for C7. He was unable to find the source so far on his CD collection. He plans to search through his hard drive collection. Here is a part of a recent email he sent me...
Quote:
I would like to find the source for C7 to see what some of your guys can do with it but I'm not having much luck locating it. I'll keep looking. Perhaps it's on one of my old hard drives in the closet somewhere.

Hopefully he locates it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants this source. Razz He did find some other goodies I am honored to recieve. Wink Hmm, a Windows/Mac/Linux port of C7, oh yeah... Cheesy Grin I never would have thought I'd ever be speaking with Les Bird... wow.

BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:25 am

Mishran wrote:
He's still looking for the source for C7. He was unable to find the source so far on his CD collection. He plans to search through his hard drive collection. Here is a part of a recent email he sent me...
Les Bird wrote:
I would like to find the source for C7 to see what some of your guys can do with it but I'm not having much luck locating it. I'll keep looking. Perhaps it's on one of my old hard drives in the closet somewhere.

Hopefully he locates it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants this source. Razz He did find some other goodies I am honored to recieve. Wink Hmm, a Windows/Mac/Linux port of C7, oh yeah... Cheesy Grin I never would have thought I'd ever be speaking with Les Bird... wow.

Yes... having the source to C7 would be great. Another jewel for the collector (perhaps I should change my nick... naw...)... And yes, having the source sure would help explain how they did things back then.. Like the see-through (transparaent) walls, the placeable grenades and such. I never did try the multi-player portion of the code, but that too would be interesting as I do have (or can have) 5 machines on my network...

Now if we could only get them to release the Blake Stone stuff and/or the early Rott code and stuff that I'm sure they have in archive at 3dRealms. Joe has evaded that question many times already, so I'm sure they are sitting on something...

Greg
BrotherTank
Mishran
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:44 pm

Gee BrotherTank, if that source can be had... C7 may end up needing its own section on the forums... Think Perhaps he'll locate the Body Count source as well. Best of both worlds. Don't have a key to the door? Make your own door, blow up a wall!

andy3012
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 29
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:24 pm

1 fing that i don't understand, is why operation body count is put down so much, i think its an amazing game, if only i could get my hands on the source code Mad
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:34 pm

andy3012 wrote:
1 fing that i don't understand, is why operation body count is put down so much, i think its an amazing game, if only i could get my hands on the source code Mad

The main reason that most people put down the Op: BodyCount is due to the fact that they really didn't do that great of a job with the graphics. To be honest, when you compare the original Wolf3d graphics to the OBC graphics, the game looks like a cheap knock-off. While there are some interesting things they have done to the source, it just didn't have the appeal (graphics wise) when it was released. The cheesyness of it really drove people away..... That was also part of the reason C7 didn't go far either.

Greg
BrotherTank
WSJ
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:04 pm

That, plus many of the levels in Operation Bodycount were rather repetitive, especially the office floors. And the very first "terrorist" you encounter looks like a yellow-skinned hobo and screams like a retard... "GUH-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! Laughing Laughing

Still, it'd be nice to get a hold of the Bodycount source... In addition to the various wall features, there was a feature that allowed multiple floor/ceiling textures on a level. True, the textures came out looking pretty "fluidic," but at least the code might point some people in the right direction. Of course, if Ripper ever releases his floor/ceiling code, then we won't need that part of the OBC source. Smile

But anyway, it would be really really cool if we had the source code from C7 and OBC. Very Happy
Mishran
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:29 pm

WSJ wrote:
That, plus many of the levels in Operation Bodycount were rather repetitive, especially the office floors.

Yes, but think about it. It's an office building. Aren't most of the floors in real life office building similar to one another? Think

WSJ
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:07 pm

Mishran wrote:
Yes, but think about it. It's an office building. Aren't most of the floors in real life office building similar to one another? Think

Yes, and I thought of that as I was playing the game. But still, it got kind of boring after a while. At least some of the later levels were more interesting. And I really liked the level with the blown out walls and flames... nice touch. Cool
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:56 pm

WSJ wrote:
Of course, if Ripper ever releases his floor/ceiling code, then we won't need that part of the OBC source. Smile

Actually, I was doing a little work on that. The easiest way to achieve that is to use the third map plane and have it hold the texture values. Modifying the rest of the code shouldn't be that hard (see Darkone's Texture routine). What Ripper did was used 2 maps for each floor, so that he could define the floor and ceiling textures. Basically, now that WDC supposedly allows one to play with the third map plane, then this 2 map requirement becomes redundant.

WSJ wrote:
But anyway, it would be really really cool if we had the source code from C7 and OBC. Very Happy

Yes, it certainly would.. Getting the Blake Stone code would also be a plus, but they don't seem to be interested in sharing that with the community. They release the Rott code, which was even more advanced, but are holding out on the Blake stuff..

Nuff said on that one..

Greg
BrotherTank
Frenkel
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 7
netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:44 am

BrotherTank wrote:

WSJ wrote:

Yes, it certainly would.. Getting the Blake Stone code would also be a plus, but they don't seem to be interested in sharing that with the community. They release the Rott code, which was even more advanced, but are holding out on the Blake stuff..

Nuff said on that one..

Rott is an Apogee game and Blake Stone is a Jam Productions game. So I guess it's up to Jam to release it.

I would also be nice to have the Super 3D Noah's Ark source code Smile.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:01 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

BrotherTank wrote:
Actually, I was doing a little work on that. The easiest way to achieve that is to use the third map plane and have it hold the texture values. Modifying the rest of the code shouldn't be that hard (see Darkone's Texture routine).

Really? That's interesting... Ripper said that modifying DarkOne's "DrawFlats" routine wouldn't work, since the code is designed specifically to handle only two graphics (the floor and ceiling.) Well, even if it is possible, it's probably way beyond my understanding of the code...

BrotherTank wrote:
What Ripper did was used 2 maps for each floor, so that he could define the floor and ceiling textures. Basically, now that WDC supposedly allows one to play with the third map plane, then this 2 map requirement becomes redundant.

Ripper had mentioned the third plane and its possible use for mapping textures. It would be a great alternative to having to load multiple maps for each level. In Operation Bodycount, I think they had the textures mapped to different floor codes... but using that method would likely cause problems with the guards and a few other things. So yeah, the third map plane seems like the most reasonable way to go.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Other Wolf3d Based Games View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: