DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

COPPA - What is it?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> News & Forum Rules View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:45 pm
   Subject: COPPA - What is it?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I've been asked a few times about this, and here is my reply. I hope this will allow people to understand why I get so pissed when people lie and break the rules - especially when it comes to age.

Quote:
What exactly is the COPPA age agreement thing? I've heard about it before on another forum when some troll was bloviating about it and how the forum violated it (and then the admins matter-of-factly stated that their forum violated none of the terms of the law), but he had written it in horrible lawyer-ese that made my eyes glaze over and it was about a year ago. I just wanted to know about it, especially parts that concern site administrators, because my forums will be back online once I re-register my domain and I don't want to be thrown in prison because of the actions of some stupid kid who puts his phone number in his signature or something like that.

Basically the Coppa is a release. It is an agreement that every user agrees to when they join forums like these, so that it removes the Admin from any responsibility should the users use the forums for any purpose that is against the law.

The Coppa agreement can only be used for your protection in such matters when the users are above the age of 13. That is the age at which the law recognises (in most countries) that the user is of age of consent and understanding of the laws for which they can be charged, should they break them.

Anyone under the age of 13 can't be held to that standard, and should they break any law, then you legally can't use it as a defence should you and your forums/whatever be used against the minor, and or yourself for allowing the minor to use your site to break said laws. Basically, without consent to the Coppa, you can be charged as an accomplice or aiding and abedding.

The only example that would apply here is that we don't condone software piracy. But should a Minor have violated the law, using the forums as a means to conduct such activities, then I, MCS, and Areyep, could be considered accomplices or as aiding the user to accomplish his crime.

That is why people under the age of 13 are excluded from most forums as they can't legally consent to the Coppa agreement, and why when I find out that someone has been lying, that I get a little upset about it.

I'll cross post this answer into the forums so that everyone can see why I get bothered when someone does this to the forums.

Greg
BrotherTank
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:54 pm
   Subject: Re: COPPA - What is it?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Notice:

Conner94 was removed from the forums for breaking the law and trying to subvert the Coppa agreement. His account has been disabled, IP blocked, and E-Mail banned.

Sorry guys, but this thing is something that I must enforce for the well being and security of the Admins of these forums. We have to protect ourselves.

Greg
BrotherTank
Forums Admin
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> News & Forum Rules View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: