DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Traps, ambushes and dirty tricks
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Advanced Mappers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 27
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:10 am
   Subject: Traps, ambushes and dirty tricks
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I'm eager to see everyone's opinions on traps, ambushes and just down-right "Dirty Tricks" in level design. One of the things that I've always loved about Wolfenstein are the various clever ways there are to ambush a player using interesting floor-code combinations, clever level design and well thought-out guard placement. Though Wolf3D is such a simple game in structure, it seems that there is an infinite amount of ways to totally sideswipe the player, some of which just barely seem to be tapped into.

I'll follow Jack's lead and not really post anything till everyone else starts chewing over the fat. Discuss interesting traps you've seen in other games, traps you've set yourself in your own games, traps you'd like to see, the best way to lure an unsuspecting player into an area for pummeling and how to MAKE a player do what you want them to do so that they MUST go to that trapped area (the latter approach can be interesting, for example, on a boss level such as the original E4L9). Also, it'd be cool if people could include ways out of traps and around traps (E4L9 again which offers you a clever way to get both keys from the guard and avoid the massive head on assault that a single gunshot would otherwise trigger). Also, should there be a way out of a trap, or should you just doom the player to die for being so stupid in the first place ?

Start posting!

-Ian
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:43 pm
   Subject: Re: Traps, ambushes and dirty tricks
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Last edited by Thomas on Wed May 25, 2011 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:25 pm
   Subject: Re: Traps, ambushes and dirty tricks
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

One of my favorite traps of my own is where there are four hallways, each on the corners of the map. Each hallway has one Difficulty Three Mutant, and maybe one Difficulty Four Mutant. The Northwest and Southeast halls share the same floor code. The Northeast and Southwest halls share the same floor code as well, though it's a different code from the NW and SE ones.

So when the player kills one or two Mutants from one of these halls, he sends one or two more monsters after him, and doesn't even know it (since Mutants don't sound alerts like the others).

For the sake of pure confusion, I might make one hallway replicate itself (with one not-immediately-obvious visual difference). Let's say "-" and "I" are doors, "X" is a wall, "8" is a solid object, and "*" is an empty square. The player is coming into the rooms from the south. The key would be found though the east door in the north hall.

XX-XX
X***X
X8**X
X***X
X***XXXXX
I*******X
I*******I
X8****8*X
XX-XXXXXX
X***X
X8**X
X***X
X***XXXXX
I*******X
I*******I
X8****8*X
XX-XXXXXX

In this case, the solid object on the Southwest corner of each room is a well, only the one in the bottom hall is empty and the other one isn't. Again, the difference is there, and easy enough to see, but it's not immediately obvious. But the player - at least the first time through - will think he's still in the south hall, so he skips the room with the key, thinking he's already been in that room!
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Advanced Mappers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: