DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Shading
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Artists Archive View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Aryan_expirement
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 10
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:18 am
   Subject: Shading
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I've looked at majiks image world, and I've seen his art... that is insane how well some of you guys can shade. I mean, looking at artists like martin, majik, AryeP, ringman, god...

Are there any techniques or processes or shortcuts or whatever? It's impossible for me. I can't get the hang of it, although I can draw basic images and such.

What programs do you all use? I use either Paintshop pro or animation shop, and sometime I use XP's Lizard to view all of the frames... but it's difficult to get all the right angles and such. Especially in the middle of the body, like between the legs... and also under the pectorals.

HELP ME.

The Aryan_expirement
Ringman
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:35 pm
   Subject: Re: Shading
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well there aren't really any tricks to it except for filling in by gradients, but that doesn't usually look very good. The hardest part about shading, is that you are trying to make a 2d image look like a 3d object. Its just an illusion.

The easiest way to give this illusion with your bmps is to pretend the light is right in front of the character. Forget about Wolf's shading for a moment. Just realise that things closer to the "camera" will be lighter than those away from the camera. This is the easiest type of shading I can think of, because there are less shadows casted and you are only really thinking about one light source.

Now with wolf's sprites the light is coming from the top left corner so all the darker parts will be on the bottom right corner, but you still have to worry about the fact that the wolf characters aren't flat and stick out at certain areas blocking the light from other areas. Then it gets tricky.

Try starting by drawing and looking at actual images. Set up some action figures and get a good light source (Just one if possible) and draw the shading exactly. Notice how things farther from the light are darker and how objects blocking the light cast their shape on other objects in the direction of the light.

Artists don't get that way over night. They practice and they observer. It takes quite a long time to get used to seeing how shadows would fall when there are none to observe, but you will get the hang of it.

Ok now for the most basic tricks I can think of. First do simple two tone shading. A normal color and a slightly darker one, and use paintshop pro or some other program like photoshop and do an edge preserving smooth on the object. This blends the shadows together really nicely. Check out my ghost on the dhwtc. That's how I made his shadows and he was done from scratch.

Hope some of this helps. I can't do much with out posting pictures or something.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Artists Archive View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: