DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Wolf3D Newsletter
Page 1 of 3 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 27
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:21 pm
   Subject: Wolf3D Newsletter
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

This is something I was planning on doing years ago but never got done, but I'm planning on giving it another try. I'd love to start up a Wolf3D newsletter service covering a bunch of Wolf related info and news from the community. To be honest, though, I'm not really sure where to start on it, and I'm curious as to what you guys think.

I really think that a Wolf-related newsletter could be really cool. So far, I'm thinking about covering news, site reviews (what few sites there are), maybe doing an "Add-On Of The Week" type thing as well as a "Site Of The Week" section. I think it might also be cool to run a "Help Wanted" section where people could place "ads" in the newsletter asking for help with their TCs, as well as putting up "Classified Ads" so to speak where people could give away free graphics, sounds, etc and provide an e-mail address for more information. Also, I think covering information on other Wolf-related games and FPS games (like a "Game Of The Week" section which would cover more obscure FPS titles people might never have played before) could be pretty cool as well as providing links / reviews for mods, etc for them.

The newsletter would be delivered via email of course, and I'd probably go straight-text style, although I'm still checking out free newsletter services and if I can find a decent enough HTML / graphics type service I'll probably consider it. The first few "issues" will probably be a bit skimpy, but I think once the word gets around there'd be more contributions to it if it turns out as good as I'm hoping.

Since I'd like to make a newsletter everyone would want to subscribe to and be pleased with, I thought I'd ask around and see what you guys would like to see included / excluded. If there's significant enough demand, I might even put RTCW related info in it although I don't own the game (I'm Wolf3D to the core Very Happy).

Anyway, give me some input, people.

-Ian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:19 pm
   Subject: Re: Wolf3D Newsletter
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Mabey you could make it a monthly deal and have a tutorial of the week/month thing. Is there goinning to be a staff assembled to help you do this? Overall, it sounds like a good idea! A weekly thing kinda sounds harder to come up with fresh things each issue.
You could pull it off if you tried... Cool
ChiefRebelAngel
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 28
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:11 pm

Yeah dude, count me in . No other news letter would interest me more...
If you need any help with the design, I may be able to assist!

-The Chief
Shocked
Raistlin
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:52 pm

Hmmmm.....

I don't know.....the dome kinda does all that... Neutral

but I'd contribute anyway Laughing

DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:26 am

Good to see I've got some support in this Smile

Anyway, Raistlin, I'm aware that the Dome covers a lot of areas, but I still think there's room for other sites and even a newsletter. It's no good to just have one resource for Wolf3D anyway (even though the Dome does an above-excellent job). I like to have various opinions from different angles from different people. The last thing I want to do is just flat out rip off the Dome (that's what killed the scene three years ago when every site out there was trying to be either Mr. Lowe's site or The Wolf3D Mansion). We all know the story, the cheats, the levels, hints, etc... I think a newsletter that focused on development, reviews, editorials and also something that allowed developers to "advertise" their add-ons and ask for help would be pretty cool (and I'm sure add-on makers would appreciate yet another way to get the word out there).

@sonicyouth214: So far I'm planning on doing this on my own for now, but if it takes off like I hope it would and gets a lot of response, I may need more people to help put it together. Don't know...It remains to be seen. I'm not sure about either weekly or monthly yet, but I think weekly might be best. As far as contributions and such go, though, I'm planning on keeping this very open so anyone can submit reviews, editorials, stories, help, etc. It'd be cool to have some community interaction like that, I think.

@Chief: I'll see what I can find service wise, but yeah, if I get swamped with work I might need some help with a design. Nothing flashy, but just to spruce things up a bit. I'm still not sure if it'll be graphics or straight text... Like I said, it depends on what I can find that's efficient and free.

As far as source code tutorials and such, I think something like a "featured source mod" especially for newbies would be cool. There are a ton of great mods that can be made, but I think something that explained in depth just what it is that you're doing would help out a lot of people drastically and eliminate some of the source code problems people are having because they don't know C++ inside out. In that area, I would definitely need some help as, though I have a basic understanding of C++, I'm not exactly a coding wiz and I suck at explaining really techy stuff Wink I don't know...It's all in the planning stages now.

I was just going to get the service up and running and tell everyone "Hey guys! Go subscribe now!", but I thought it'd be better to just ask for some opinions on it and see what everyone would want from such a service that way it would be something you'd actually want to subscribe to and not "Oh God, it's that crappy newsletter again...how do I unsubscribe from this thing ?" Wink

Suggestions / comments are still needed!

-Ian
TheTalentedMrLeo
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 36
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:36 am

I highly suggest you include the "Special Edition" Wolf3d CD in your newsletter. That way, I don't have to exit Wolf3d to play EoD or whatever. Mr Green
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:02 am

TheTalentedMrLeo wrote:
I highly suggest you include the "Special Edition" Wolf3d CD in your newsletter. That way, I don't have to exit Wolf3d to play EoD or whatever. Mr Green

I'll keep this in mind, Leo ... Wink Perhaps I'll modify it so it comes with built-in electronic toilet support, that way you'll never have to exit Wolf3D to play EoD when you go to the bathroom Mr Green

-Ian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:10 am

Neutral ... Uhm...Sorry if I sound harsh, but em...

- You're never going to keep up a weekly newsletter with features as suggested. You'd need a paid staff for it. A monthly newsletter would be better at that respect.
- News from the community? Well, by all means but eh..no plagiate eh... Wink
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:41 pm

« Parafriction » wrote:
You're never going to keep up a weekly newsletter with features as suggested. You'd need a paid staff for it. A monthly newsletter would be better at that respect.

As I said, it's still in planning and I'm undecided on when it's going to be "published". And I'm still not totally sure what's going to be included. If it's going to focus more on featured games, mods, tutorials, etc then monthly would be just fine. If people think there should be community news included though, it would have to be weekly or at least bi-weekly.

« Parafriction » wrote:
News from the community? Well, by all means but eh..no plagiate eh... Wink

You have ABSOLUTELY no worries there, man Wink I cannot stress enough how sick I am at seeing sites rip off the Dome. This newsletter, when it does take off, I sincerely doubt will include anything from the Dome (unless I ask you or Brian for something or unless either one of you contribute to it, and that's really the only way).

If news is covered in this service, it's not going to be nearly as in-depth as the Dome's and cover every possible new site that pops up or every single add-on that comes out...That would be nearly impossible anyway as you said, and I have no idea how you and Brian keep up with it. I'm still waiting to see what everyone else thinks, but perhaps I would just focus on specific add-ons and developments as well as news that was sent directly to me and my own projects.

This service really is just for fun, and it'd be cool to have a newsletter devoted to Wolf because every other game out there has one (Doom, Quake, RTCW, etc) except Wolf3D.

I'm still doing research on services and figuring out what should go in it to keep it original and interesting. The more suggestions I get, the better it'll be. And yeah...If things start getting hectic, I'll be screaming for help Wink

-Ian
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 30

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:13 pm

I like it. It's not so useful, what with Brian's news and all... but I think it should be sent once a month as opposed to every week... or bi-monthly. Whatever. Still a good idea.
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:04 pm

I think it's an excellent idea. Yes, Brian's site is extremely informative, and he keeps it up well...very well...however, he doesn't do articles or go in depth on specific mods and stuff (how could he with every one?). I'd love to read some lengthy, in depth reviews of some of the mods I've not had a chance to play, or see interviews with Wolfers who we know but don't get a lot of info out of some times. There are tons of things that could be covered in a newsletter that aren't part of what the Dome usually includes, and I'm glad to see someone has the motivation to explore the idea of doing it. You'd probably save yourself a lot of trouble with a monthly publication, but then again, I don't know your schedule, so you could have time for a weekly...I know I don't...but by all means, go through with the idea! Cheesy Grin

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:55 pm

I'm glad you understand, Monk Smile

I think you guys are right - Monthly sounds like the best option so far and would give me more time to really come up with some good content that wouldn't get stale or repititive. I'm going to create a free email address where you guys could send submissions as well for reviews, editorials, articles, etc. Who knows...If this turns out to be a big hit and lots of people email me, I might even need to do a mail-bag section in the newsletter which could be fun! Smile

So far I'm calling the newsletter Wolf-Bytes, subtitled "The Newsletter For Rabid Wolfers"...like it ?

I don't know if I'll include interviews or really in depth reviews in this newsletter just yet...But, I've still got a few tricks up my sleeve... Wink

-Ian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:58 pm

Diggin' the title! Sounds great... Very Happy
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:49 pm

If anyone's interested in contributing anything to the newsletter in the form of reviews, editorials, stories, essays or just random fun-ness, feel free to send email to: wolfbytes@mail.com . This will be the main contact address for the newsletter for submissions, e-mail, hate mail or whatever :)

Right now I've found a pretty good service that's free and not covered in ads. I'm still working with it, and it'll be a while before it takes off because I'm working on some other things, but I'm starting to get a good idea for contents and organization already and I'm writing up some rough drafts in between times.

I'm still not sure wether to go full-blown HTML-style newsletter or just plain-text. Which one do you guys think would be best ? Plain text would probably print out a little nicer (which would be good for printing tutorials if they're featured). But, HTML IS prettier and a little more "pro" looking (not to mention larger in message size...).

-Ian
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 30

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:36 am

Well if you do decide to do HTML I'd be completely willing to contribute to the design. I really enjoy that kind of thing.

But anyway, great title Wolf-Bytes... not so great subtitle "The Newsletter For Rabid Wolfers." Lol, jk it's good too. Kind of creepy though. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:15 pm

I'd be very interested in helping out!

Of course, my skills in technical areas are limited, but love to help as an extra writer for the content.
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:16 am

Coolness, Fly Smile

You can send e-mail to: wolfbytes@mail.com if you have anything to contribute (this goes for all of you, too). Any stories, reviews, editorials, articles, rants, raves, whatever are welcome so long as they are Wolf3D or classic FPS gaming in general in content.

I haven't posted much about this recently, but I've just gotten busy with other stuff. I've been messing with some possible design ideas in my head, but nothing is definite yet, so if anyone wants to contribute anything for an HTML layout, feel free to contact me.

The main limitations you have to work with are:

- Your HTML code cannot be larger than 15Kb. The service I'm with puts a limit at 40KB max for the newsletter entirely. I have to have some room to stick the text, so I figure 15K should be good for the whole HTML thing (I honestly don't think you'll need that much to design with, but assuming if you want to get really creative). I'm aiming for something nice and simple, nothing too flashy or ultra graphics heavy, because there's no real need for that in a Wolf3D newsletter. It'd be cool if you guys could stick with the Castle Wolfenstein / Wolf3D color scheme, but that's not required.

- Design with limited display in mind. I haven't done a lot of major testing, but I think if you could limit the width of the page to about 600 - 700 pixels, it would look a lot nicer for email delivery. Just design the page as if you're designing for a low resolution. If you can reduce the size and still have it look good, do it.

If there are any questions / comments, you know how to reach me.

-Ian
Xarkon
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 18
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:22 am

I'd like to help, if that's okay. I could do some reviews on Wolf or Spear mods. Yeah this'd be cool.
Maybe a bi-monthly newspage would be good.

Joel Corrigan Smile

DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:42 am

No, you're not allowed to help, Xarkon. Everyone else is, but not you, lamer Evil or Very Mad

lol j/k... Sure, contribute anything. Everyone is welcome. The reviews don't have to be majorly long or anything, just enough to explain the game, what's good, what you don't like, etc.

I was planning on the first featured mod in the newsletter to be either Conflict In The Fatherland or Spear Resurrection, because I want this first issue to be really "The best of Wolfenstein". Since I already reviewed them at my website, though, having me review them again might not be a good idea. Let me know if you'd like to write a mini-review for either one, or both, or whatever.

I've contemplated strongly having a "Review center" for add-ons / mods published every month or so. Since I've got my reviews going at my own site and I really don't want to write double reviews, I wouldn't mind having someone (or a group of people) write reviews for the newsletter. I'll see what you guys think about a dedicated "Reviews" section.

-Ian
wolfbytes@mail.com
Kuki
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 6
poland.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:06 pm

Good idea. About HTML vs. plain text, it'd be very nice if it was done in both versions and the subscriber could choose the prefered one.

Kuki
Xarkon
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 18
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:23 pm

Yeah that would be good but it'd take more tiome to copy it into plain text with it still looking good.

Joel Corrigan Smile

DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:45 am

To everyone that is interested in contributing to the Wolf-Bytes newsletter: Get on it!

The service should be out in roughly two weeks or less. I've got a good, simple HTML design in mind and I'm going to get to work on it tonight. It shouldn't take long to code.

Other than that, it's a matter of content. I've got some articles and stuff to finish up (which is one of the reasons Castle Wolfenstein hasn't had anything done to it since the 23rd... Yes, I am going to update the site soon Smile )

Anyway, I know Xarkon and Fly_895 have shown some interest in writing reviews for the newsletter (both have emailed me). To you two: If you want to contribute, you have a week and a half to make it into this issue. I wouldn't mind having a full-time reviewer... I'm not sure if Xarkon is still interested because he hasn't emailed me back. If I don't get an answer in two days, Xarkon, I will assume you are no longer interested.

So...That's the news. If anyone wants to contribute, start sending in submissions on reviews, articles, editorials, Wolf3D stories (experiences, etc with the game), screenshots or even news on your game that you'd like to "plug" here. Essentially, send anything in... This'll be a real grab-bag of stuff each issue.

-Ian
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:26 pm

Some news about the service!

- HTML newsletters suck! lol... Well, I just suck at writing them. There are a ton of limitations on tags you can use (no CSS, I can't live without CSS... ). Since I'd like to get this thing going sometime before the next millenium, I'm contemplating just going straight text email very seriously. Really, if you think about it, this would probably be a better solution... It'd be faster, cleaner, no problems with compatibilities, etc. So... If everyone's cool with it, I'll just go with straight-text for now. Maybe an HTML design will pop into my head later on, but I won't worry about it.

- I'll be adding the Sign-Up form and information to my site soon so you guys can subscribe ahead of time. I'll post on my site and on this board when this is up (working on it now). It should be up in an hour or so. When it is, you can subscribe and be put on the mailing list for when it does come out.

- Thanks Xarkon for sending in the review! It will go into the first issue Smile Everyone else, you still have time to get your articles / reviews published before the first newsletter comes out! Send 'em in... wolfbytes@mail.com

And, well, that's it. I'll let you guys know when you can subscribe.

-Ian
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:26 pm

Well, it's up Smile

You can sign up at least. Expect the first delivery to come out in a week or so Smile

Once you sign up, you'll be sent a confirmation email that you'll have to deal with. It's no biggy. Let me know if you guys have any problems or anything.

Check it out here: http://wolf3d.freelinuxhost.com/wolfbytes.html

-Ian
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:45 pm

Yeah, this project is still alive along with me. I've just been sidetracked with other stuff. I had some car troubles a few days ago and that took up a lot of time trying to get my damn car to start. Also, a lot of other projects / work has cropped up and I've been messing with that stuff. I just now realized that it was the 5th of September and, crap, I'm late on this... lol

Anyway, I'll hopefully be messing with this thing tonight and getting it ready to go in a few days (two or three, hopefully). I've gotten over 20 subscribers already... I'm surprised that so many people are really looking forward to this, so that's really gotten me motivated to hurry up with it. I've had a few more submissions, too, and I'll continue to accept more for this issue until it goes out the door. I'm surprised at how many people just lurk around on sites and messageboards, as most of these are from people that never post here sending in their Wolf3D stories / experiences... I'll post some of these in the first issue. Hopefully it will motivate more people to make their presence known in the community!

So, that's that... Sorry for the delay, guys. Bare with me.

-Ian
AReyeP
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 23
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:07 am

Don't worry Ian - I know exactly the kind of thing you're experiencing! Although I'm currently enjoying 3 weeks off work, in that time I've had a nasty cold (still recovering), we've been dealing with needy mum in laws, my car's in for necessary rust repairs, plus the usual craziness around the house what with 3 kids, and of course EoD in beta testing. Things can get crazy and work on a regular web project can often get put on delay if you're in such a situation.

I'm glad you chose to do the letter on a monthly basis - this should make things a lot easier. You can still maintain a regular schedule, you still have plenty of time to do other things, there's a lot less pressure, more time to co-ordinate stories etc, and less likelihood of suffering "burnout". I guess the old quality over quantity argument could come into this too I guess.

It'd be good also if you could have someone to stand in and help out should you be absent for a period (MCS and I both edit our site, and Tristan and Brian both maintain the Dome, the 2nd person is a big help).

Anyway, good luck with it all, and looking forward to it Smile
AReyeP
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:14 am

Ian,

Just went to subscribe to the newsletter, and when I clicked the "Submit" button, the next page opened with a "cannot find server" error message. Anything I may be doing wrong?
The_EgAt
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 1
iceland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:19 am

That's strange... I just subscribed and it worked fine

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:41 pm

AReyeP wrote:
Ian,

Just went to subscribe to the newsletter, and when I clicked the "Submit" button, the next page opened with a "cannot find server" error message. Anything I may be doing wrong?

Hrmph... If you haven't already, try subscribing again. This service might get a little bogged down sometimes because it's an El Cheapo freebie service. Once you sign up, you'll have to check your mail and verify your subscription... It's pretty easy, like signing up for these forums. I guess the service I use probably just gets bogged down during peak hours like everything.

Castle Wolfenstein and such will be moving to another server entirely in the near future. I'm interested in seeing if I can actually run a similiar service myself without need for a third-party site and get rid of some of these errors and bugs... Alas, I'm no coder, but it might be possible if I ask around a bit more. I'm still learning how such services work...

As far as having another person run the newsletter, I'd love to have that, but haven't had anybody take the offer up. Of course I want someone I could trust with the service and know could handle it (it is a lot of work), and also someone who'd be willing to toss in more ideas and keep the newsletter more varied and open.

I've postponed the newsletter a few more days because I might have a surprise interview or two to toss into it that I didn't have before, and I think they'll be worth waiting for. I really want the first issue to be good and keep people's interest, so that's what takes so long sometimes... That and a nasty work schedule.

Anyway, good luck with signing up... Hopefully it shouldn't bomb out on you again. If it does, let me know.

-Ian
AReyeP
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:02 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

No worries Ian,

I received 3 emails requesting me to confirm my subscription! Seems despite the error message the submission still goes through.

Thanks again Smile
Steve

PS: I love the "We're not wearing any pants" caption on the pic in the other thread lol!
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 3 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: