DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Ken's Labyrinth (Not a Wolf3D engine game, but close)
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Other Wolf3d Based Games View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:08 pm
   Subject: Ken's Labyrinth (Not a Wolf3D engine game, but close)
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Remember that weird and colorful Ken's Labyrinth game, from the same guy who did the Build engine? The registered version is now freeware and can be downloaded here. You can also find LAB3D-SDL, which lets you play the game in Windows and Linux. Recently in March of this year, the Developer's Toolkit is also available, allowing us to edit the encrypted levels and graphics.

Although Ken's Labyrinth has orthogonal walls, I noticed that the map structure for KL is quite different from that in Wolf3D-engine games such as Blake Stone. Each Ken's Labyrinth map is a 64x64 8-bit image, with one pixel representing a particular wall or object. There is only one layer, not two (wall/floor and objects) like in Wolf3D-engine games, and Ken's Labyrinth has no floor codes. The objects are handled automatically in the program. For secret doors, a "blast" flag can be set on a wall so that the player can blast that wall open.

Unique interactive features include a working slot machine, moving bottomless pits (they look like walking portable holes with eyes), and bumpers that bounce back shots and anything else that runs into them (Ideal for a Sonic the Hedgehog/pinball-type level!).
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 27
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:32 pm
   Subject: Re: Ken's Labyrinth (Not a Wolf3D engine game, but close)
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I never really paid much attention to Ken's Labyrinth to notice all those cool features, riki.

I think I played it for about five minutes max before I ran screaming from it and eventually deleted it of my hard drive, and then I defragged it a few times to make sure it wouldn't come back...It was really, really bad....

But eh, I think it's cool for Ken to release it as freeware. Did he also release the source code ? If so, it might be a good base for beginners to build their games from. It's too bad the source codes for C7 and even Operation Body Count haven't been released, as there looks to be some cool things in there we could benefit from (multi-player, see through doors, etc).

-Ian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:52 pm

Yeah, the source is also available on his page.

lol yeah Ken's Labyrinth is nothing compared to Spear of Destiny or my personal favorites (Blake Stone & Planet Strike), but it's just a fun game for s**ts and giggles... the music however can be unbelievably repetitive and unnerving. I think it's the slightly interactive environment that turned me on though.

I wish the levels could've been better, more interactive, nicer-looking, and with fewer cheap death traps (such as the mysteriously intelligent 8-balls and bottomless pits in tight spots). I would love to see and make new Ken's Labyrinth levels and mods, but I have too many other things to do as it is.
Martin
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 8
poland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:13 am

Wasn't Ken Silverman about 13-14 when he coded that? I know he coded Build when he was 16.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:16 am

Well, a pre-release demo of the game called Walken was dated in 1992. He was born in 1975, so he was around 16 or 17 I think.
Ringman
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 54
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:32 am

I was thinking of making a Ken's Lab mod, and started working on it with a fair amount of progress, but there are just so many built in things codewise that get in the way and cause problems. First off the darn floor and ceiling color are awful. The enemies don't have any attack animation and are no threat what so ever on easy mode because they don't even try to run into you. They don't have death animations either. Your weapons are just upgraded and there is no ammo. The second episode you must have the dog follow you through each level to win and you can't get rid of him with out majorly overhauling the engine. At least that's what Ken told me.

However the palette is a nice palette to work with... Mr Green

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:20 am

Hmm... Yeah, if you don't want to change the code, you'll have to somehow adapt to these limitations.

In a Star Wars mod, for example, maybe you could replace Sparky with R2D2.

I have a hint, by the way, to keep Sparky out of the way in combat--just close the door in front of him so he can't leave the room and follow you into the next room. And when you're finished with the level, you can then open the door again and have Sparky follow you into the exit.

Sure, the enemy sprites were poorly handled (visible only from the front like Wolf3D bosses, no attack or death animations) but it does make it easier if you want to throw in your own enemy sprites.

As for the threat of the enemy, what can I say--just gotta play it on hard mode. I always do that. It's a lot more exciting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:36 am

When I was playing Ken's Labyrinth, Sparky was always very annoying to me. You couldn't live with him, but you couldn't leave without him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:51 pm

Guess I'm not the only one who's annoyed with that dog... I'm almost convinced that he's a traitor, since whenever I'm trying to fight, he always goes in front of the bad guys and deflects my shots, lol.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:10 am
   Subject: 7.14285714285714285714285714285

That's cool riki. I was talking with ack about all the neat things released on Ken's official page a few months ago (the cool editors, in-depth hintbook, free full version, older games, etc.), discussing how incredible the content on his site was, and I always wondered if anyone else was interested in this sort of thing. I guess that question has finally been answered!

I've always enjoyed this game. I don't think there will ever be a 3d game as creative as Ken's Labyrinth, there was so many things I found cool about it. You had money that you could buy things with, I loved how alot of the secrets were handled (some behind walk through walls, some you had to shoot, some with that flashy spiral teleport thing), the walls and weapons were very colourful and creative, it had a much cooler scoring/name system than in Wolf3d, the automap and sliding doors added something to the game, as with all the objects you could pick up that would show on your status bar. It just had a perfect amount of mystery and imagination, and some unique and intrieging ideas and features, in my opinion.

Well, I've been shifting through the original version 1 and Epic's version 2 shareware for years (some interesting differences with the two, v1 had some crazy secrets that aren't in v2), but I only tried the full version for the first time this spring. I would agree with alot of the critisisms, running with the dog on the last level of Episode 1 was cool - but I think the idea was abused when you had to do it for a whole episode. I also just lock the dog inside a room and than let him out at the end of the level. The music for Episode 1 was awesome, for the most part, and added to the experience... but alot of the full version music was so short that it became annoying and hard to play with. I'm very glad that I got to experience the shareware versions for as long as I did, I think the first episode was by far the best; but that could be partially because it was where all my great memories were from.

I remember when people would come over to my house (friends, cousins, kids we babysat, siblings of my parents friends), there was a stage in my life where Ken's Labyrinth was the game we always played together, it was really cool seeing how they handled the game, and getting as many people as I could to play it and make it in the highscores list for each level they passed. Yeah, my own team of ongoing Ken's Labyrinth exploring crew members! lol. We also had alot of adventures of playing Epic Pinball/Pinball Fantasies, Tankwars, Hardball III, Micro Machines, Beetlejuice, a whole lot of old Commodore 64 games, and a shitload of others (PC, console games), like all teenagers, but Ken's Labyrinth was right up there for awhile, and played a pretty big role... even though it wasn't very multiplayer like most of the others.

So yeah, that's all I wanted to say. Oh, and I want to hump Ken Silverman's leg! Razz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:42 am

Which makes me think... we need to have a Ken's Labyrinth Internet Ranking site.
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:52 pm

Wasn't Ken's Build Engine used to make Duke 3D and BLOOD?

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
Zero X. Diamond
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 25
ussr.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:13 pm

Deathshead wrote:
Wasn't Ken's Build Engine used to make Duke 3D and BLOOD?

Tell me. How many years have you been living under a rock?

DieHard SS

Topics: 30
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:07 pm

I thought Kens labrinth was made based on the Wolf3d source code Embarassed
andy3012
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 29
uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:55 am

I read somewhere that it was made when he was 12 and used wolfenstein 3D source code. I havn't played it, and don't intend to but aparently some of the sounds are of some squeeky kid barking down a microphone.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:50 pm

Re: Sparky. It's not just you folks that this character annoyed. This dog was a dog for me in the game. Everything you've said about him is true.

Andy, the game doesn't seem to be based on the Wolfenstein source at all. Even on the hardest difficulty, all guards seem to stop moving towards you when you're too far away (whereas the Wolfenstein source had them ambush instead). There are also no window size options, a completely different sound engine, and the engine appears to use no Floorcodes as is so commonly known to be used in Wolfenstein.

And yes, the digitized sound *is* corny. Razz
Ringman
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 54
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:24 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I can solve this mystery right now. I actually talked with Ken Silverman a year ago, about Ken's Labyrinth and it's source code for a project I considered making with it.

He did not make it with the wolf source, and besides it wasn't public yet. He made it himself and was inspired by wolf3d. It was a wolf3d "CLONE". Mystery solved.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Other Wolf3d Based Games View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: