DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Upgraded Phpbb to 2.0.10
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> News & Forum Rules View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:40 pm
   Subject: Upgraded Phpbb to 2.0.10
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I took the liberty of upgrading the phpBB software, seeing as I was already installing the image gallery and such... As you can see, there are quite a few more changes to the forums. There is now a Links section, a Trivia Quizzes section, and a few more goodies placed here and there (most of the other changes you will find in your personal profile settings).

Anyhow, for the links: ONLY WOLFENSTEIN Links that fit the categories listed will be accepted. Please, No Doom or other game links. This is a Wolf3d site and we will keep it that way.

As for the Quiz Section, I will do up a small tutorial on creating your own quizzes.. For now, if you play with it... Your quiz will not be activated until an Admin authorizes it.

There are other things in the works, but I hope you find the new additions to the forums useful and interesting.

Enjoy!

Greg
BrotherTank
Forums Admin
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:47 am
   Subject: Re: Upgraded Phpbb to 2.0.10
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The quiz program works as either a multiple choice or true/false type of questionaire. You decide with each question as to how you would like it to be answered. I'll give an example shortly... but first you must do a few little things to start making a quiz.

1) Think of questions - and decide on what you quiz is going to be about. ie: if your quiz is all about graphics and you decide to ask a question on a single sound... that isn't a good thing. Then you must decide a name for your quiz. With that in hand you can enter the Trivia Quizzes area and get started.

If there are already quizzes there, you can take them, otherwise the menu will just show you the "Create" your own quiz button. If you want to create your own quiz, press that button and it will take you into the quiz editor, otherwise just click on a quiz that is available and take the quiz.

2) The screen will now change and ask for the options like "Quiz Name" "Description" and such. Enter the name of your Quiz (make it relevant) and enter a good description about your quiz.. (things like "It's a Quiz" for a description aren't good enough - you have to let people know what it is about).

3) When you've entered the name and description, hit the save button and that will start creating a slot in the database for your quiz. You can now hit the "Edit Questions" button... and you can start entering your Questions. You will now see a "Question" button, a 1, and a "Done" button.. The done button takes you back to the previous menu, where you can press Save once you have finished entering your questions and answers for the quiz (you can work on this over periods of days and weeks, as long as you keep "Saving" as you go it will remember where you left off).

4) So we start entering questions... If you know the total number of questions you want in your quiz, you can set or change the "1" to that number and then hit the "Question" button, or you can just hit the "Question" button each time you want to add another question.

Then you can edit each question, give answers to the question or delete that question with the little menu on the right of each question.

So to edit the question, you click edit and it brings up a screen where you can give your question a name and then ask the question... ie: like name and description... Here's an example:

Question Name: Finding the Key
Actual Question: In which episode did the makers of Wolf3d only use 1 key?

It's obvious that this is a multiple choice question... So with the question edited... I would now press "Submit" to save the question.... Now I need to enter answers... so I click on the Answer button for that question on the right hand menu for that question. It now gives you the option of entering answers (again as with the Questions you have the "Answer", "1", and "Done" buttons...
In my example above we could do three or whatever number of answers, but for this tutorial I'll do 3... So I would change the "1" to a "3" and press the Answer button... or I could hit the answer button 3 times...

Now you can edit each answer... or delete each one with the menu on the right hand side of each question. For our example, I would do something like this:

Answer 1: Change the answer to read "Episode 1" and set the "Correct Answer" button to "yes"... and press done..
Answer 2: Set it to read maybe "Episode 3" and leave the correct answer on No.
Answer 3: Set the answer to say "Episode 5" and leave the correct answer on No.

By now, you should be able to see that you can easily change this to a true or false type question... to do so, I would change or edit the Question to read "Id decided to use only 1 key on Episode 3 to make the game easier for first time players".... (it's obvious that is false - but I'm just giving an idea on how you can change things)... Then I would edit the Answers to 2 answers and Set one answer to "True" in it's description and the other to "False". Again, setting the correct answer to true or yes in the False question.

Then you would click the done button and it will take you back to the questions page. Repeat this process until you have entered all the questions and answers for your Quiz. When done, press the Done button to take you back to the previous menu, with the name and description of your Quiz. Push the save button to save your work, and if you are all finished, then you can click on the "Submit" button. This tells the system to submit it for "Admin" approval.

The admin will look your quiz over, and will either validate/activate it... so that others can take the quiz or ask you to fix things if they find problems with it. If it's activated, then it will show on the main screen as everyone enters the Quiz area. People can now click on the name and will be taken to your quiz. Each person can now take the quiz by clicking on the box they believe to be the right answer and hitting the Submit button when they have completely answered all the questions they can answer. The quiz will then check their answers and develope a score/rating... and will see their name and how they scored if they check the "HighScores"...

It's that simple... Anyone can make a quiz... it just takes a little work and a lot of thinking. You can make an all True/False test, an all Multiple Choice test, or a combination of the two.. it's all up to you. Also, you can make it so there is more than 1 right answer... Smile by using a question that has more than 1 right answer... you just have to figure that one out...

I hope you enjoy both Making and Taking the Quizzes created by your fellow community members. It's time for Trivia... so lets get rolling...

Greg
BrotherTank
Xarkon
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 18
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:18 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Sorry if were not allowed to post here but it seemed a waste of time to start a new topic.
I have heard rumours of a new phpBB version coming out. Like a version 3! Is it true? Shocked Maybe you should have a look into it and see if we can have it here at the Die Hard Wolfers forum Brother Tank or any one who updates forum. This would be excellent! Thanx. Cheesy Grin

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:40 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Xarkon wrote:
Sorry if were not allowed to post here but it seemed a waste of time to start a new topic.
I have heard rumours of a new phpBB version coming out. Like a version 3! Is it true? Shocked Maybe you should have a look into it and see if we can have it here at the Die Hard Wolfers forum Brother Tank or any one who updates forum. This would be excellent! Thanx. Cheesy Grin

To be honest, I don't know what they're doing... lol... I do know that I have upgraded the forums to the latest release (which no longer tells everyone what version we are running but does for the admin - And even tells us when a newer version or upgrade is available/required).

I know when I last checked they were still working towards 2.2 which is probably being renamed to 3.0 because of the updates that they have had to do to the 2.1 series.... Anyhow... not to worry, we are using the latest stable releases that pbpBB has to offer. And I do apply the security patches when they are available because they've found something vunerable in what we are using.

Greg
BrotherTank
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> News & Forum Rules View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: