DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

2 days work...
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:12 pm
   Subject: 2 days work...
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I'm not sure if I'm reinventing the wheel, what with WolfPlus and everything, but I began tinkering with using an outside file and getting key engine information from it.
With this, you can edit ticcounts for every weapon frame length, damage for every weapon, maximum health, maximum ammo, starting ammo, and for every enemy other than ghosts, you can edit...
- Hit points on all 4 difficulties
- Speed
- Pain chance
- Accuracy
- Damage
- Points for kill
It draws this all from GAME.WL6. If no such file exists, then one is created to wolf's original specs. The principle to this program was to make an engine that could play Wolfenstein exactly like the original Wolfenstein, but that could be tweaked by those who can't code or don't care to give it a try. It comes with a very basic editing utility, but it gets the job done.
Instructions for use:
EDITING WEAPON FRAME LENGTHS:
17edit will ask you to pick from frame 1 to frame 16. 1-4 are the frames for the knife, 5-8 are the frames for the pistol, 9-12 are the frames for the machinegun, and 13-16 are the frames for the chaingun. Why are there 4 frames but 5 sprites for each weapon? Because the first sprite (the idle frame) doesn't count as a frame.
Frame lengths are measured in tics, which are ~1/70th of a second, I believe. If this is any indicator, every weapon frame in the original wolf engine is 6 tics long.
EDITING WEAPON DAMAGE:
Each weapon's damage is based on the percentage of damage that it normally does, which is why by default they are all at 100.
EDITING MISC.:
By misc I mean starting ammo, max ammo, and max health.
- Starting ammo: This is basic. It's the ammo you have when you start a new game or return from death.
- Max ammo: This can be 2 or 3 digit, though it won't stop you from setting it to 1000 or higher. It automatically adjusts DrawAmmo for the maximum ammo, so as a 2 digit number, it displays exactly like in wolf, though as a 3 digit number it's slightly adjusted.
- Max health: Pretty simple. Just your maximum health. It checks it every time you go to pick up some health.
EDITING ENEMIES:
This can get slightly complex...
- Hit points: Well, this is pretty simple. How tough enemies are. You can set it for every difficulty.
- Speed: This is an interesting value. 3 is average, and is what most guards go at. If this is any indicator, officers go at a speed of 5, and all guards patrol at a speed of 1.
- Pain Chance: This is a chance out of 256 that the guard will be induced into a pain frame. It's currently 256 for all guards with pain frames, as they always go into pain frames. If it's 0, the guard'll never go into a pain frame.
- Accuracy: For this value, it's at a regular of 12. Strangely enough, the lower this value is, the more accurate the guard is. For example, the SS and Hans both have an accuracy of 8. A higher value for this will result in less accuracy.
- Damage: This is another percent. Simply the percent of the normal damage. Feel free to make it higher or lower than 100.
- Points for kill: Should be obvious. How many points you score when you kill the enemy.

The project currently has the codename "Wolf17" (who could've seen THAT coming...), and was inspired by Wolf Plus, ZDoom, and DeHacked. It's a side project, so I won't pursue it constantly, only when I feel like it and have nothing else to do. I have no problem releasing the source, as I want it to be an open source thing, similar to ZDoom and other such ports. Right now, I'm a little lazy and a little afraid of everyone seeing my sloppy sourcing skills Smile I most certainly want to release the source for 17edit, as the current version is very basic, though Sockman is working on a pretty good version with some getupper command.
Another go4it? Nah... go4it took months... this was 2 days work, as the topic says. Anyway, you can find it at http://www.dugtrio17.com/files/wolf17.zip
I only hope I'm not making a Wolfplus copy, as I was planning to add bunches of features to it that could be enabled through GAME.WL6. But the aim was different, so I think they'll become two completely different pieces of software.

Call it a Thanksgiving present,
-Dugtrio17

Last edited by Dugtrio17 on Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:24 pm
   Subject: Re: 2 days work...
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Interesting concept Dan...

While this is not how Wolfplus works, it was something that was being looked into as per the ideas that Chris and others presented in the Wolfplus thread. I haven't looked at the download as of yet, but it will be interesting to see how you were doing things compared to the start I had made in Plus...

Anyhow.. Keep going... it gives the people many choices. I truely believe that this kind of thing is what will expand and make the game evolve into something really special. You know... it might even be an idea to sort of keep a running open source that includes everything out there... sort of like they do for the forum software (phpBB) that we use here. And the more features added the more that could be controlled from the external source.... and not just via the maps as I already have in Plus...

Just a thought...

Greg
BrotherTank
Raistlin
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:28 pm

Hey 'Trio....

I just downloaded it, gave it a try.....I made the knife
500 % power Twisted Evil (Just as a quick capability test)
A very cool program!
One thing though....when u run "Wolf17", the Vgagraph is
all f***ed up, so anyone using it, you need the VGA files
you use when you edit code.

However, I think this is REALLY very cool, I love it! Cool

An interesting idea, would be to see if we could use this kind of thing
to make the guards do certain things, like in modern games...
you know, make the guards walk to a certain spot, then stop
and look around and walk back again....control it all through
a program like Wolf17?

Code Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:40 pm

Well eventually, memory permitting, I was planning several slots for weapons and key ticcounts controlled by the outside file (delay before firing for guards, etc.), and making guards perform different actions in different frames shouldn't be too hard. For instance, I already made the game check for damage in cases where it's not currently applicable, such as for Giftmacher, as well as checks for every enemy in the dog's biting function, so it should be easily integrated with changes to what actions different guards perform. Sounds played at different times was another thing I was planning on tackling, as well as editing in-game text (episodes and such). I could do a function for AI control as well, possibly, though this will all come to depend on memory.
But the idea for this is that the DooM community has made plenty of standalone "base" engines for DooM that function like the original game but have bonus features, so why not for Wolfenstein? Open source should be able to weed out bugs and inefficiencies, thus the result should be a lean, effective code. I'm wondering how I would manage such a thing... maybe with a copy of the "official" source updated from mods every now and then, or perhaps a system to upload different sources... or maybe just posting key edits on forums. Hell, random copies of the modified source floating out there may even work. This thing could have an interesting future...
But, oh yeah, you'll need some VGA files compatible with the compiled source. The files I had on-hand (from the RTCW GOTY Edition CD) worked fine, and I forgot all about that. There's somewhere you can snag them, I believe, though I'm not sure. That's the only "incompatibility", I suppose.

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:55 pm

So....
basically, memory permitting, everything should be controllable
from within the program? very impressive!

One thing though, *if* you got it working so that guards can
do differant things according to the script, would we then use, like,
a marker in a map editor to determine what guards use this action,
or how would you go about this?

Code Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:10 pm

Well, perhaps it can be a "patrolling type" sort of thing; type 1 is normal, type 2 is walk to a turnpoint, stop, (use temp values to keep track of looking tics) change directions a few times, then go according to turnpoint, etc. Or ir could simply be seperate defined turnpoints, where the guard does the aforementioned activity rather than immediately turning. That'd probably work better.
This should be an interesting thing about open source... people who think of things like this can post the mod and the necessary extra variables for it. Kinda similar to what they do with phpBB, as Greg said, only there would be mods to the source in hopes of making it into the "official" source instead of mods that people can do to the existing source, since the point of this is doing source editing without the source, in a language everyone can read. Of course, first I've got to get off my ass and upload the source...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:51 pm

Actually, I'm fairly certain tics are 1/35 of a second.
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:54 pm

I just checked, and on AReyeP and MCS' site it says:
Quote:
Each group starts with a 6. This represents the amount of time that each frame (image) is displayed, measured in "tics" which is 1/70th of a second.

Of course, since there's currently only different 2 sources both saying different things, we'll see if we can get a third opinion, a tie-breaker if you will.

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:49 am

Let's hear it for the third opinion.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee. Laughing

<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:03 am

@DarkHaven3:

Dugtrio17 wrote:
I just checked, and on AReyeP and MCS' site it says:
Quote:
Each group starts with a 6. This represents the amount of time that each frame (image) is displayed, measured in "tics" which is 1/70th of a second.

Of course, since there's currently only different 2 sources both saying different things, we'll see if we can get a third opinion, a tie-breaker if you will.

Dan is right on this one... 1/70th of a second... that is why if you install Darkone's FPS (Frames per second) tutorial... the best you can achieve is 70 frames per second.. no matter how fast your machine is...

Greg
BrotherTank
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 108
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:14 am

Is it possible, with a bit of work on your part, you could change what an item is (such as it is the 25 ammo clip, then it is a walk through item, then its a blocking item) or you can change what a type does (like making the cross give 1000 points instead of 200)?

DieHard Officer

Topics: 33
sweden.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:45 am

Intresting program.
Though, it did not work for me so well... Do you need a special version for it or something?
'Cause, I did changes but they didn't show up in the game.

Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:48 am

@Deathshead: Yeah, I was thinking about an item editor, with the possibility of new spaces added for customization. The blocking may be a little trickier, but I'm pretty sure it can be done. I was planning a number of editable things, such as new slots added for weapons and control of what attack the weapon does, with inclusion of projectile attacks. When I get the time, I plan on doing an episode text editor and seamless level progression enabler.
@Metal Overlord: What changes did you make? I'll test them here, and if I find a bug, I can post a new version. I did find a minor bug I overlooked with maximum health, so I've posted a new version.

EDIT: You also ran Wolfenstein with Wolf17, right?

Topics: 108
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:24 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Dugtrio17 wrote:

EDIT: You also ran Wolfenstein with Wolf17, right?

Would you believe thats exactly what I told him!

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: