DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Rate the Game
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> AReyeP & MCS Games Support View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Rate the Overall Game
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
20%
 20%  [ 12 ]
50%
 50%  [ 30 ]
Voted : 59
Total Votes : 59

BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:46 am
   Subject: Rate the Game
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Ok... guys and gals,

It's time to hear what you think about the game. Was the wait worth it?

And give the game an overall rating of between 1 and 10 in the poll (1 being the worst - 10 being best).... Please be honest..... Tell everyone what you think by posting comments and joining in on conversations in the EoD support forum.

Greg
BrotherTank

Last edited by BrotherTank on Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Arielus
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:52 am
   Subject: Re: Rate the Game
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Perfection. Ten points. Enough said.

Ariel.

Code Master - Developer

Topics: None

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:17 am

I added the game to the charts system as well.
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 27
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:26 am

What can I say? This game is just awesome. So far, I like it even more than Spear Resurrection. The new graphics are excellent (I love the new palette with the extra green which gives the game a "grungier" atmosphere but still preserves the original Wolfenstein feel). The code mods are excellent (how on earth did MCS get all that stuff in there without running out of memory??). The levels are top-notch (I'm up to level 3 so far, no complaints at all). The game is just... Awesome!

It feels like a totally new Wolfenstein game from Id. I'm actually getting flashbacks from my youth when I was glued to my 486 playing the original Wolf3D. Little gems like this remind me why I still play Wolf3D and still frequent the forums after all these years. I'm trying to look at this game with as critical of an eye as possible and point out things I might not like, but so far, I have no complaints personally. And we all know how rare that is for me Wink

Thank you MCS and AReyeP for your hard work! It paid off big-time! This is a game that's going to stand the test of time and be a classic as long as there's a Wolf community. Merry freakin' Christmas indeed! Mr Green I can't stop smiling...

-Ian

PS: So, when's Spear: Destiny Reborn coming out? Wink

DieHard SS

Topics: 1
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:29 am

I think AreYep and MCS have achieved perfection. Enough said. Cool
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:46 am

Hrmmm. Having a poll this early will probably get alot of inaccurate votes, since I doubt that anyone has played the game to it's full potential yet (beyond possibly the beta testers). I'll bet people who just downloaded the game this week will be rating it on first impressions and hype, more than anything.

I'd probably rate it a 7/10 right now, based on everything I've seen so far, but that may change over time as I get used to more of the stuff that originally struck me as "needs more work" or "this idea is pretty cliché and/or uneventful". I know that the levels and gamplay will grow on me... like they did very well in Spear: Resurrection. I thought the robot dude would have been pretty cheezy from the screenshots, but his voice sounds really cool... it really adds to the fear and suspense - for example.

So, I'm not going to vote for atleast a few months. See you then.
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:18 am

Meh, Chris's post makes sense! (for once...) I should rate the game once I've played it a little more. So far it's very cool but at the same time it feels... familiar? Maybe it was all those screenshots, or possibly I've been having wierd, End of Destiny-induced hallucinations. Plus my computer keeps overheating and safety-cutting out, which stops me really getting into it. Stupid games too powerful for crappy laptops!!! Plus I'm in a strange kinda mood today... Mr Green

Still, so far it gets 8.679 out of 10. But I'm pretty sure when I can play it on a decent computer I'll love it again.

DieHard SS

Topics: 28
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:16 pm

For mid-game excitement and emmersiveness (is that a word?), I'd give it a 10. But the overall package I cannot rate at this point. I've just completed a 'challenge' level, that's what did it for me (the 10 score). Who are you people? How do you come up with this sh*t?? "Challenge level"...yeah right. This is not a mod...it is a new game. Simply phenominal.

This is the next sequel to Spear, like it or not, offical or not. End of Destiny truely is Spear 3!!
ZuljinRaynor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 19
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:17 pm

6/10

Why? Lets see... the game reminds me of Rise of the Triads by it's features. This a good thing? Not with the Wolf engine. The main loss of points is the nit picky additions. These new additions really make this game really advanced for the engine but too much. It is like Rott in Wolf3d. Some people may like it; I don't. That is why I am limiting to the most advanced thing in SDD to just an overheating sten.

One thing I don't get, "Green Screen of Death?"

I like this though.

This is what I was talking about in my Start-up like Doom thread. Except this is smaller. I'd also would have liked a red box on the first line and in it saying the mod.

ChiefRebelAngel wrote:
This is the next sequel to Spear, like it or not, offical or not. End of Destiny truely is Spear 3!!

I must disagree big time. If anything will be Spear 2 for me, it will be Spear Doomsday. Spear 3 for me will be the SDD sequal.

Last edited by ZuljinRaynor on Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:18 pm

Hair Machine wrote:
Meh, Chris's post makes sense! (for once...)

Sounds scary. Shocked

I think you're right about the screenshots Simon. They're a factor towards the surprise and lasting interest for me too, especially since so many pictures have been posted for so long while we were waiting, and alot of the environments have been covered; which gave us alot of time to think about them and how cool they would be already... though I'm sure we'll find alot of other surprises, and surprises within the stuff we already know if we keep playing.

The bright colours on the menu headlines don't really blend in well with the dark and drabby gray feel, in my opinion (especially the overuse of purple; which I'm guessing was partially changed just so EoD would look different than SR?). That BRIGHT green death fading seems sort of out of place too; even for a forest theme. I remember ack once telling me something similar about the first opening screen for HOS, and now I can see more than ever, from the player's perspective, where he's coming from. It's ok to have alot of neon colours, or no neon colours, but trying to make two entirely different atmospheres into one fixed area strikes bad chords in my brain - or something. It's funny how both HOS and SR had their "red titles on gray menus" changed to "purple text" for the sequals, though I believe it worked better in the HOS sequal; since it had a more fun / less serious twist.

Well, I midaswell just keep complaining about things I didn't like until there's only good things left! That seems to be the route that made me eventually start to really enjoy Spear: Resurrection and The Golden Episodes; after all. Laughing

ChiefRebelAngel wrote:
How do you come up with this sh*t?? "Challenge level"...yeah right.

What is it, if it's not a Challenge Level? Enlighten me with your crazy views Chief.
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:28 pm

I downloaded it and had a look... here's my perspective, or really just the thoughts in my head:
The opening level was a bit... ugh... it was nicely done, well thought-out, well decorated and everything, but it was a chore to get through. But it did the job, and once I completed it, I got an interesting feeling of realism, as I'd just gotten through a forest that actually looked like a forest in order to get to the main building.
Level 2 was a relief and really used all the coding features quite well... I was surprised to find myself burnt by the fireplace, and I was actually wondering what did that a few times, and I probably took at least 20 damage from the damned thing. If I'm not mistaken, I discovered an object or something that enemies won't cross, as I tried to lure some SS out and kill them with the knife.
One thing I was joyed to see was the weapon changing. While I'm sure go4it had very little to do with it, it was interesting to see it done by someone else (and in the same manner... except for the high-res changing, which was done differently). I did notice a slight bug with it, probably only noticed by me, as I have to be the most frequent quicksaver ever. It doesn't really affect gameplay, and it's easy to see how it was missed, since it's so obscure. But I noticed that when you change weapons and save while it's changing them, (or at least quicksave... regular save is still untested) then quickload (again, regular load untested), the weapon changing is still going, and to the same weapon. While it's only a minor inconvenience in most cases, I can see how it could be used to possibly cheat to get weapons the player doesn't have, or at least as long as it's held. Then again, there could be extra checks I don't know about... I'm not sure, since I'm only on level 3.
I'll be taking time with this one, and so far I'm pleased. I think there's probably (or will probably) be some bias in both directions, both those expecting it to be ultra-great and then thinking higher of it than it really is and those who were sick of the aforementioned people or thought the game was over-hyped and are going into the game with a negative attitude. I'm not sure, ZuljinRaynor's post is the only post I can really see that has this.
So the jury's still out... and the verdict won't be in for a while. Savoring a new TC? Or lazy bastardom?

Topics: 28
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:15 pm

Christopher wrote:
What is it, if it's not a Challenge Level? Enlighten me with your crazy views Chief.

Maybe you have misinterpreted me sir, what I meant was the Secret Challenge level. It is a 'super secret' map, that you can access through a secret door in level **.

I found it last night. Not your ordinary level, rather, a challenge. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so I'll zip it for now. You'll all know what I'm talking about when you find it!!
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:07 pm

Chris wrote:
Hrmmm. Having a poll this early will probably get alot of inaccurate votes, since I doubt that anyone has played the game to it's full potential yet (beyond possibly the beta testers). I'll bet people who just downloaded the game this week will be rating it on first impressions and hype, more than anything.

Geeze... I can't do anything right now can I??? I understand your need to question it's validity Chris... In fact, in the last little while I've grown to accept the fact.... But I started the thread because:

1. If I hadn't, I'm sure that someone would have.
2. Best to be prepared... as you never know how fast someone will finish the game.

Chris wrote:
I'd probably rate it a 7/10 right now, based on everything I've seen so far, but that may change over time as I get used to more of the stuff that originally struck me as "needs more work" or "this idea is pretty cliché and/or uneventful". I know that the levels and gamplay will grow on me... like they did very well in Spear: Resurrection. I thought the robot dude would have been pretty cheezy from the screenshots, but his voice sounds really cool... it really adds to the fear and suspense - for example.

So, I'm not going to vote for atleast a few months. See you then.

That I can respect. I guess I could have called the poll, what do you think of it (first impressions)... Again, everyone has their own chance to vote when they feel they have reached a point where they believe they can give an honest answer. It's left to the individual to decide when to vote, as the software doesn't force anyone to vote at any time... But I truely respect that you are going to vote when you see fit... Will look forward to hearing your comments then...

Greg
BrotherTank
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:12 pm

ChiefRebelAngel wrote:
Christopher wrote:

Maybe you have misinterpreted me sir, what I meant was the Secret Challenge level. It is a 'super secret' map, that you can access through a secret door in level **.

I found it last night. Not your ordinary level, rather, a challenge. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so I'll zip it for now. You'll all know what I'm talking about when you find it!!

Exactly Cheif... Having been part of the Beta team I know what you are talking about... Glad to see you found 1... And for those who aren't aware... There are specifically named "Challenge" levels in the game (not giving away how many or where you find them).

Greg
BrotherTank
MJR
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 3
finland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:04 am

10/10
I like it! Especially because I haven't got lost (like I usually do).
Megabyte
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 1

finland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:01 am

8 of 10. Eod is much better than Spear Resurrection, but it's not perfect. I haven't played it trough because the game crashes at level 11. Some of the levels looked too much like few levels in Spear Resurrection. Summary: Eod is great but not perfect. (Maybe Trench Warfare or Castle Helvete will be the first perfect mods in my opinion)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:31 pm

10 out of 10. Wolfenstien 3d with a twist. I'd rate it 10 times better than SR and the old-fashioned Nazi slaughtering with Brawn and just the right amount of a puzzle element form to make an almost Doom-Like experience
WSJ
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:43 pm

Hmm... Am I the only one who finds it odd that BJ can walk through flames left from the exploding barrels without taking damage and yet he gets hurt whenever he stands next to a fireplace? (like a baby who puts his hand into the fire) Laughing

But this game is great and will probably become #1 in book... tremendous detail and innovation... though I still need to play through it before I make any "conclusions" about the game. Unfortunately, I'm stuck at the moment because, like others, I can't play level 11.
Erick/Spiritblade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:38 pm

This is becoming a massive Dissapoint for me. Stupid ass random crashes and f*cked up levels like map 11.
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:17 am

The crashes I can deal with. On my PC, lots of mods do that, but that's just because my PC is a piece of $#!+. I did discover an interesting phenomenon, though...I was switching weapons as I saved, but then when I reloaded the game (after stepping on my umpteenth mine due to my PC's choppy performance), BJ was suddenly arming a machine gun, even though I was at the very beginning of the game. I know I didn't pick one up, because I still only had four bullets as I had when I'd saved. The thing that sucked was that I got killed before I'd saved, and was unable to regain my magical machine gun (I might have thought to save had I magically acquired something with a little more killing power).

What do I think of the game? Well, this is an unofficial "vote", because I know nobody is making me post here, and I haven't played through the game yet, but I wanted to deposit my two cents here anyway. I think the game is very cool...there are a lot of things that work really well lending to the realism, and the atmosphere is very good too. As usual, I was most attracted to the new graphics, and got killed a time or two trying to get a closer look at my surroundings and enemies. The game's quite an achievement. Is it perfect? I don't know... perfect compared to what? Very Happy

There were a few things that I'd hoped to see changed that may not matter much to some folks, but I was surprised to find that I was surprised that they weren't changed. First of all, I've always thought that SR, and now, EOD, had menu screens that were way too colorful. I know that's a matter of opinion, and has no impact on gameplay, but it wasn't what I expected to see when I fired up the game. Also, when I started the game, I was surprised for some reason to see that BJ's weapons and arms looked the same as in the first game. With the new very atmospheric environments, and cool new weapons, I guess I thought that some of the original weapons aspects might have been tweaked a little bit, but again, that doesn't really affect gameplay.

Anyway, I have a lot more playing of the game before I'll do a real vote. I like to vote based on my overall feel for a game once I've completed it and thoroughly explored it, and I've definitely not done that yet. For now, let me say that it's a fantastic game. It didn't quite live up to the level of hype that had been built up for it, but that's not the game's fault...I think I allowed my expectations to get out of hand. Nonetheless, great job guys!

Oh...and by the way, that purple title bar thing...I hacked into MCS and AReyeP's PC's while they were working on EOD to see what sort of features I could rip off for "HOS: SE", and that was the one that struck me as the most innovative...the purple menu titles...Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:39 pm

9/10. It's great, and the work that went into it is awesome.

The only negative point I have is that it seems a bit on the difficult side on "Grandma." But that's a designer choice, so that point off is just a matter of personal preference.

Only on the Ultramutant level right now... too damn scared in that dark, scary sewer to do anything! Shocked
Andy_Nonymous
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 99
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:23 am

EoD looks great, sounds great, and the game play is quite challenging and interesting. In these areas, I would say 10/10.

However, the game crashes randomly on two different machines, under MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 98 SE. I almost never get crashes on other mods, and I have a lot of mods here!

My gut tells me that it may be sound-related, but unfortunately I can't verify this.

I know there's a fix for the level 11 problem, and I am using that exe now, but are there any plans to look into the random crashes that Spirit-Blade, Majik Monkee and I are experiencing? Is anyone else experiencing more-than-usual random crashes?

Andy
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:35 am

Andy_Nonymous wrote:
the random crashes that Spirit-Blade, Majik Monkee and I are experiencing?

Andy, DUDE, you forgot to mention me! I feel so 'out of the loop' now man...

http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?p=28114#28114

Actually, I had another post about how "this wasn't the only bug I experienced that bombs the game" when replying to someone's early thread, and it got someone to ask if there are any more bugs in the game... but my post must have gotten deleted or something, as I can't find it anywhere! Guest can back me up on this one!!!

I always thought that those SD1, PM9, etc. errors were coming up because MCS knew that I was cheating; haha. I guess a sound problem would be the more logical reason, though, as they'd get displayed and bomb me out when I click on a door or as a rocket is being shot... for instance. Anyway, I'm sure that MCS is looking into the problems. After all, who in their right mind enjoys hearing about bugs? more more!!! find me more bugs!!! yeah, woohoo, EoD is bugterrific!!! this is heaven!!! god, do I ever love messing around with bugs!!!

Last edited by Chris on Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:41 pm

10/10.

I may be only on level 14, but I see a good game when I see one, and this raised the bar on all TCs made for Wolf3D.

Maybe it's just me... I've been gone three years after all... =\
lucky_foot
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 13
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:06 pm

At this writing I am only on Level 16 and I want to say that this game is really cool! I have been severly impressed even if this is as far as I got.

I have wondered the same thing as someone above posted. How did you do it without running out of memory?

I think the coolest part is the talking suit of armor, flushing toilet, and radio. Those three caught me off guard. I have spent the rest of my time running around seeing if anything else worked. (I got shot most of the time in the process).

I have, so far, found only the second Challege floor and boy, I could not get my way around it. I tried it exactly 130 times (I counted) before I took the cowards elevator. Can someone tell me the secret in getting past that?

Once more, you guys did an excellent job in making it. Smile

www.luckyfootproductions.jtworld.net
AReyeP
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 23
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:44 am

Hmmm, if the flames from the barrels aren't hurting, it's because you're not standing in them long enough Smile You can run through 'em without doing yourself any damage, but stand right next to them or on top of them for a second or more and they should damage you - if not, let us know!

But if people want nice pretty fruity green flames etc then I can do that too you know Smile How about a boss that throws flowers? Smile

@ Lucky_foot - re the challenge levels - they're deliberately set up to be nasty - you'll need to think out some strategies to get through each stage of the things. Think carefully - does a shot fired from a weapon draw trouble? Can you lure that boss enemy into a trap instead of taking him on? If there's a dozen Ultraclones, then taking them on with your weapons would be crazy - there must be another way ... Mr Green Anyway - part of the fun is figuring it out - the hint guide we make available down the track will reveal the tricks you need Wink

I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

france.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:30 pm

Well, I was not a fan of Spear Resurection but I must say that End of destiny is very cool. Neutral Wink I like the inovations, the new walls and the levels. But some musics are too repetitives. Mr Green

8/10
WSJ
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:47 pm

Loki wrote:
But some musics are too repetitives. Mr Green

I actually thought the music was better in this one... Shrug

AReyeP wrote:
Hmmm, if the flames from the barrels aren't hurting, it's because you're not standing in them long enough Smile You can run through 'em without doing yourself any damage, but stand right next to them or on top of them for a second or more and they should damage you - if not, let us know!

Yeah, I later found that out.... sorry. Embarassed

OK, I've beaten the game. Here's another 10 for ya! Smile
Loki
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

france.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:34 am

WSJ wrote:
I actually thought the music was better in this one... Shrug

The music of the first level is always the same thing. Sarcastic
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:45 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Loki wrote:
The music of the first level is always the same thing.

I agree. Short songs can get aggravating after awhile - lol. Hrmm, I did a little experimenting today with this one, still keeping it repetative and true to the original, but breaking it down and adding a little variation here and there; just for fun.

http://www.canadianphilatelics.com/choksta/midi/level1b.imf

Do you think it's better or worse? If you want to make your own version, here's the midi. Smile
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> AReyeP & MCS Games Support View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: