DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

[Help] Darkone's IngameMessages
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Code Crackers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 108
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:30 pm
   Subject: [Help] Darkone's IngameMessages
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

How do I work it? I set the stuff in my source, and I used Msg_Printf (""); but it doesn't show.

Help me please?

<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:23 pm
   Subject: Re: [Help] Darkone's IngameMessages
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Deathshead wrote:
How do I work it? I set the stuff in my source, and I used Msg_Printf (""); but it doesn't show.

Help me please?

As I said before... Not many people have played with this source. And to be honest, I don't think many will start just to answer a question. I can say that it does work.... Just find other messages (in the wl_agent.c file) and follow the same procedure that Darkone used to make the messages work there.

Greg
BrotherTank

The probability of someone watching you is directly related to the Stupidity of your actions
&
The two most abundant things in the Universe are Hydrogen & Stupidity - H.Ellison

Which of those is more relevant to you??
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:55 pm

I did just that, that's the problem. It just won't work. The message doesn't show. I've commented his message stuff for now. I wanted to see the difference between WSJ's and Darkone's then pisck the better of the two.

And yeah, I'm going through the source. It's quite interesting what he's done. I've copied him in ways like the way he seperates stuff into seperate files. like WL_DOORS.C and such. His routines, as it is obvious, is meant for multiplayer. With the routines being called like

GiveAmmo (Player, Cool;

It's pretty cool! Smile

Are there any routines in there besides Messages and Raycastor? that can be easily ported to the original source? Anything valuable?

Speaking of Raycastor. Just wondering, are you doing to update your Raycastor tutorial? There was alot of code you actually missed. Like the door definitions and such. It still doesn't work for me: COLOURMAP IS GIVEN A VALUE THAT IS NEVER USED!!! Mad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:46 am

Yes i`ve got the colormap error to when i was triyng to install that code.

Even after i inserted some variables and stufff you missed i still got a lot of errors.

When i finaly ran the game the showed only if i had the transparent modifier on them and even then they would disappear from time to time. So please start working on finishing that Crying or Very sad
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:55 am

Deathshead wrote:
I did just that, that's the problem. It just won't work. The message doesn't show. I've commented his message stuff for now. I wanted to see the difference between WSJ's and Darkone's then pisck the better of the two.

Not sure what you did, but it worked fine here without any changes. Again, there aren't many people that have actually studied or understand the code.... And while I did take the time to dig things out, I'm no authority on it either.

Deathshead wrote:
And yeah, I'm going through the source. It's quite interesting what he's done. I've copied him in ways like the way he seperates stuff into seperate files. like WL_DOORS.C and such. His routines, as it is obvious, is meant for multiplayer. With the routines being called like

GiveAmmo (Player, Cool;

It's pretty cool! Smile

It's different to see how one would go about converting routines. The problem with this source is that it's not complete as he moved onto the Win32 based code in "NewWolf" and left the classic in the dark.

Deathshead wrote:
Are there any routines in there besides Messages and Raycastor? that can be easily ported to the original source? Anything valuable?

Easily ported? LOL... The raycastor took a few weeks to move over and debug. I moved it over and got it working and then spent the time to remove the bugs that were in the actual raycastor. The only thing that I would say is study some of the way he did things as it is in some cases, more efficient. Other than that, it's a waste as getting the multi-player to work will not work without the actual routines to talk to the network cards. That just isn't there... And if you can't answer some of the questions about the code yourself, then you can't create the routines that would be needed to make it work.

As I've said before... The NewWolf Classic source is good for learning and seeing different ways of tackling things. If you strip out the Network stuff and the Multi-player portion of the code, it is a good source to start building from (as it is very memory efficient). But you have to have a good knowledge of the original source to understand a good portion of what he's done.

Deathshead wrote:
Speaking of Raycastor. Just wondering, are you doing to update your Raycastor tutorial? There was alot of code you actually missed. Like the door definitions and such. It still doesn't work for me: COLOURMAP IS GIVEN A VALUE THAT IS NEVER USED!!! Mad

I didn't miss as much as you think I did (if any). I might go back and do some more work to it, but I can't and wont say when.

flamer46 wrote:
Yes i`ve got the colormap error to when i was triyng to install that code.

You both see a problem but can't fix it. You do know that the "COLOURMAP IS GIVEN A VALUE THAT IS NEVER USED" will not stop your program from running??? That's a Warning and not an Error. Open the basic source and compile it... You will find many varaibles that are assigned values that are never used (provided you have the compiler set to warn you of them - it's an options in the compiler setup).

flamer46 wrote:
Even after i inserted some variables and stufff you missed i still got a lot of errors.

Again, read the disclaimer at the top of the tutorial:

Quote:
Also Note: When using this change, you will have to change or modify the tutorials for Textured Ceilings/Floors and Ripper's Starry Sky and Cloudy Sky routines where it does the lightshading. Ripper's Directional Sprites are NOT compatible with this modification. To create Directional Sprites you will have to rewrite the complete code for that tutorial (which is something I haven't even tried at this time). Also, you will NOT be able to use Ripper's shading tutorial or his Removing the Scalers tutorial as well (they aren't needed).

And then at the bottom:

Quote:
I think I've included all the changes made to everything. You will probably find that there are some values defined in various files like WL_DEF.H and such that are no longer required. If this tutorial doesn't work for you... It's up to you to find any variables or things that I've missed... I tried to extract this code from my code as best I could, and again, I think I have included all the changes I made. If I haven't... this will give you a very large headstart on completing the same thing I attempted for WolfAdvanced.

Those two points speak volumes.... Especially the part in Bold! that I highlighted above.

flamer46 wrote:
When i finaly ran the game the showed only if i had the transparent modifier on them and even then they would disappear from time to time. So please start working on finishing that

I can't answer this as the sentence doesn't even make sense? "When I finaly ran the game the showed only... etc"?? That part has me baffled... I am guessing but it sounds like you are talking about doors (as the rest refers to the the transparent modifier)???

Anyhow... Until more people play with the code (Darkone's Source) and become familiar with it, it's something that you will have to learn to play with on your own.

Greg
BrotherTank

The probability of someone watching you is directly related to the Stupidity of your actions
&
The two most abundant things in the Universe are Hydrogen & Stupidity - H.Ellison

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:02 am

I`m sorry if you didn`t understand my post BT.

I meant that when i started the game the only thing i saw was the ceiling and the floor and some static objects, No walls.

I then placed the transparent modifier on some walls and those walls showed but would dissapear from time to time.
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:38 pm

Shocked YOU GOT IT TO WORK FLAMER???

Can I see your source!?! Shocked

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:09 am

The tutorial in question has been repaired. I changed a few lines, but for the most part it is the same. Again, if you follow the tutorial it will work. Start from scratch... ie a fresh copy of the source. But as I said before be aware that many tutorials will not work with this code without some major modification. If you want textured ceilings and floors you will have to extract the code from Darkone's source for it to work as the shading is completely different.

For that matter the following Tutorials can NOT be used if you change Raycastors:

Ripper's Directional 3D Sprites
Ripper's Shading
Ripper's Removing the Scalers

Some of the other tutorials will work but only with major modifications to the code. Those include:

Ripper's Cloudy Sky
Adam's PatchWalls
Textured Floor/Ceiling (unless you grab from Darkone's source directly).

So... While you gain the "See-Through Walls" and "Transparent Doors" you also loose some other things that you might want. It took me quite some time to rework all the code tutorials that I have modified, and to rework some of the code from the raycastor to do things the way say Ripper's Shading did. Those code changes are currently secret and will remain that way for a while.

Greg
BrotherTank
jamez
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 13
uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:08 pm

Sorry, I've been "off the scene" for a while... Where is this tutorial ? if it is one...

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:20 pm

jamez wrote:
Sorry, I've been "off the scene" for a while... Where is this tutorial ? if it is one...

Where is what tutorial Jamez?? They are talking about two different things here and you fail to mention which one you are questioning????

1. Is Darkone's NewWolfClassic Source and getting the In-game messages to work. (there is no tutorial to this one as it's a source package).

2. Is the Raycastor tutorial called Changing the Raycastor in the Code Tutorials section.

BrotherTank

&

jamez
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 13
uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:14 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

BrotherTank wrote:
jamez wrote:

Where is what tutorial Jamez?? They are talking about two different things here and you fail to mention which one you are questioning????

1. Is Darkone's NewWolfClassic Source and getting the In-game messages to work. (there is no tutorial to this one as it's a source package).

2. Is the Raycastor tutorial called Changing the Raycastor in the Code Tutorials section.

BrotherTank

Sorry, got confuddeled. It was kinda the first one, but not as he hasn't released a tutorial.

Was just wonderin wat everyone was talkin about Cheesy Grin

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Code Crackers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: