DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

[Tutorial] Multi-textured floors
Page 7 of 8 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Code Tutorials View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Latzhosenjunge
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 1
germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:51 am
   Subject: Re: [Tutorial] Multi-textured floors
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Meanwhile I tried it out. I used to play Wolf 3D on an old 486 DX2-66 using MS-DOS 6.0 With multi textures the game became so slow that it's impossible to play. After the red "Get psyhed" line is complete it takes a while until the level is visible and then it's much too slow.

On my AMD Athlon running Win ME the game runs almost fluently but the controls are worse than on the DOS machine and the sound cart is never detected. However, the graphics don't look good on a TFT monitor which my AMD has. The 486 has a standard screen where the game looks better.

So now I have the choice between veeeeeery slow motion but full sound or with bad PC-speaker sound and bat control but fast motion.

Is there another trick I can use to make the game quick again? I doesn't have to run on a 486 but it should.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:35 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Since you have a 486/66mhz, you would be perfect for a speed test to find out! Smile

Here's how:

- First, start a new project with the original wolf3d source code (backup your old one).
- Then, add the Frames Per Second counter. Compile, and rename the exe to TEST1.EXE.
- Then, add the Removing the Scalers tutorial. Compile, and rename the exe to TEST2.EXE.
- Then, add the Shading tutorial. Compile, and rename the exe to TEST3.EXE.
- Then, add the Ceiling/Floor textures tutorial. Compile, and rename the exe to TEST4.EXE.
- Then, add whatever is it you had to do to get Multi-textures. Compile, and rename the exe to TEST5.EXE.

Now, start running TEST1.EXE, charting down your fps for maybe 5 different scenarios in specific areas of certain levels (like close by walls, far away from walls, in a big room, in a small room, with a lot of alarmed guards). Do the same for TEST2.EXE, then TEST3.EXE, then TEST4.EXE, and then TEST5.EXE. You will see exactly where the speed is lost this way. You will even find out which change is causing the game to load up slower at the start after the "Get Psyched" screen.

And if you want, feel free to post all the FPS results here for us as well. I think it would be really interesting to see.
Latzhosenjunge
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:05 am

I think, that's not neccessary. I use the 486 for map creating and playing only. The whole modification is done on the big one. All die Files that were changed (VSWAP, WOLF3D.EXE and some other ones) a transfered to the 486 old-fashioned via diskette.

The game became that slow only when the multi texture feature was added. All the other modifications (shading, solo textures on both floor and ceiling and the other small mods) didn't slow it down but the multi texture does. I replaced the DrawFlats function with the one which was posted on page 7 my ronwolf. Since I inserted his function the multi texture feature works but the game became that slow on the 486.
Is there a chance to get it fast again? I am not very keen in C-programming so I need a little help.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:30 am

Sorry dude, but I'm not helping you until you do the test and post your results. I think we can both learn a few things from it.
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:33 pm

Chris wrote:
Sorry dude, but I'm not helping you until you do the test and post your results. I think we can both learn a few things from it.

roflmao
it does sound like it would be interesting to see the results.

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
Latzhosenjunge
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:36 am

It does sound quite unfriendly! "I'm not helping you unless..." - OK, let it be. I just asked a question and I'm really happy to have all the coding stuff behind me. There were so many errors that I'm lucky not to have all this again. And I surely won't do all the changes again just to be "perfect for a speed test".

If somebody can seriously help me, you're welcome.

Last edited by Latzhosenjunge on Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:56 am

Latzhosenjunge wrote:
It does sound quite unfriendly! "I'm not helping you..." - OK, let it be. I just asked a question and I'm really happy to have all the coding stuff behind me. There were so many errors that I'm lucky not to have this all again. And I surely won't do all the changes again just to be "perfect for a speed test".

If somebody can seriously help me, you're welcome.

okay, rethink that. he was being friendly. be thankful someone actually cam up to help you. and chris as well. He said perfect for a speed test, so you should do it, it would prove interesting.

Sad

*leaves topic, stomping feet as doing so*

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
Latzhosenjunge
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:37 am

I have already written that the slow motion appears since the multi texture-feature is enabled. I can just repeat that I am not going to do all the work again just for somebody to have a couple of numbers. It sounds like I should do the terrible work for someone who's only be waiting that someone else does the work for him! Seriously: if you're interested in the values go and do the test for yourself. I am not interested in any values, only in a way to get the speed back again. Again: the reason for that it's that slow has to be in the DrawFlats function so here's the error to fix.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:56 am

Latzhosenjunge wrote:
I have already written that the slow motion appears since the multi texture-feature is enabled. I can just repeat that I am not going to do all the work again just for somebody to have a couple of numbers. It sounds like I should do the terrible work for someone who's only be waiting that someone else does the work for him! Seriously: if you're interested in the values go and do the test for yourself. I am not interested in any values, only in a way to get the speed back again. Again: the reason for that it's that slow has to be in the DrawFlats function so here's the error to fix.

He was asking you to do a few simple things and collect some numbers this time around.

First off, it sounds like there is a problem with the tutorials that you have installed. So by asking you to backup your existing work (so you can compare should the new install have the same problems) and do a reinstall he might be able to help you. If you collect the FPS numbers, he (and/or any of the other programmers on the forums) would have some information to see exactly where you were running into the problem. To be honest, I would have probably asked you to do exactly the same thing.

IE: I personally help fix and maintain a number of my friends computers, and they usually call me on the phone and ask me to fix a problem over the phone. Now a number of these people are not completely computer litterate as far as diagnosing and understanding what is going on with their computers, so they have a very limited description of what is happening when they call me. I usually have to say, at some point - "hold it up to the phone so I can have a good look at it". I'm not being mean but what they are describing, I can't picture at my end of the phone without more information.

You've asked for help and they are trying to help. Rather than say "I'm not going to do the work for them" or "I can't see why doing that is going to help them help you - so I won't do it" - Why not think about this "Hold it up to the forums so we can have a good look at it". If you knew how to fix it you wouldn't be asking for help and if Chris believes that the numbers would be helpful, then he has a reason for asking for them. I have a rough idea what he's looking for and where he's going with this - only because I understand most of the code and how it works.

So in conclusion.... If you want the help, I suggest that you do what is asked. If you don't, then don't. It's your choice.. Either way, I can turn around what you have said above:

Latzhosenjunge wrote:
It sounds like I should do the terrible work for someone who's only be waiting that someone else does the work for him!

Isn't that exactly what you are doing? Asking others to do the work for you? Asking others to fix your problems? Enough said, and I hope you get the message.

Greg
BrotherTank

The probability of someone watching you is directly related to the Stupidity of your actions
&
The two most abundant things in the Universe are Hydrogen & Stupidity - H.Ellison

Which of those is more relevant to you??
Latzhosenjunge
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:09 pm

Well, in German we have a nice proverb, an idiomatic expression: "Der Ton macht die Musik", meaning: the tone makes the music.
Gimme a few days and I'll see what I can do.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:00 pm

Latzhosenjunge wrote:
Well, in German we have a nice proverb, an idiomatic expression: "Der Ton macht die Musik", meaning: the tone makes the music.

Well, since you brought this up, here's how we reply to that expression out here in Canada:

"Remind me never to let you play with my band again. I'd rather work with musicians who actually enjoy making music. I found a new drummer and he runs circles around you. Every time we had a jam session (where you would actually show up) you just sat there twidling your simple, slow, generic bass/snare/bass/snare beats, and we tried to tell you to expand your horizons but you kept doing the same boring thing, thinking that was all there was to music. This new guy is so much more creative and has way more drive than you ever had! I recommend that you give up music entirely and try something else, since you obviously don't have much passion for it. If you do decide to ever join another band, though, good luck, and hope you find a group that's willing to cope with your stobborn and simple-minded tastes. Maybe some newly created punk band will feel sorry for you and let you in, I don't know. So yeah, you're kicked off my band. See ya! Adios! Scatamaroonygetoutofmyface!"

Now go translate that back to German.

Latzhosenjunge wrote:
Again: the reason for that it's that slow has to be in the DrawFlats function so here's the error to fix.

I think Adam tweaked a few things to get the FPS better in Orb. Is that game slow on your 486 too? How about Trench Warfare? End of Destiny?
Latzhosenjunge
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:57 am

You misunderstood but nevermind Wink Let me install EOD and the speed feature (and perhaps you'd like to write me a PM what kinds of sounds you wish for your game).
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:14 am

Chris wrote:
I think Adam tweaked a few things to get the FPS better in Orb. Is that game slow on your 486 too? How about Trench Warfare? End of Destiny?

Yes, I did do some extra tweaking, but mainly just when some combination of parallaxing sky, clouds, and ceilings are used. Other than that, what I used is very close to what's here.

Another thought: does this slow down occur at all angles? or only when diagonal? I remember having some slowdown at diagonals fixed by adding a line somewhere in the paging code (The EDIT3 note on the initial post). I'm guessing, though, that this probably isn't the problem and I'm curious to see the results from Chris' request, too.

Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:59 am

I fixed the split doorway texture code. The odd pixels were caused by incorrect u and v values being passed to the function, stupid me.
I assembled a console to trace the minimum and maximum u and v values and noticed they were way off, even passed -1300 and 1200,
as they should be 0 to 63.

*Apply the tutorial from page 5 first*

Move all these from their original position...
::: CODE :::
u=(gu>>10)&63;
v=(gv>>10)&63;

over here...
u=(gu>>10)&63;
v=(gv>>10)&63;

// Split doorway texture
tile = tilemap[floorx][floory];

Also if you're worrying if something is showing under the walls, use this instead of the original dist calculation.
Also remember to put textures under the walls. Doorways can be left without texturing using this patch.
dist=(heightnumerator/(y+2))<<5;

Now go ahead and freely use different textures in different rooms without worrying about the doorway... Mr Green

ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:24 am

Great feature! I'm glad someone figured it out. I'm sure many people will use it.
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

finland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:54 am

I will. Razz
And thanks.

Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:12 pm

Latzhosenjunge wrote:
You misunderstood but nevermind Wink

That's a funny comment, because I just looked it up on the net, and they say the exact same thing I understood your post to mean when I replied. Looks like MY post just went over YOUR head, not the other way around. Seems like Greg's reply went over your head too, or else you wouldn't have replied with that expression at all, since he already explained everything, like how shouldn't be picky when people are trying to help you (which is what you were asking for). BUT NEVERMIND Wink

Latzhosenjunge wrote:
(and perhaps you'd like to write me a PM what kinds of sounds you wish for your game).

I'm not making a game, and you're posting this in wrong thread...

http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=3499

BUT NEVERMIND Wink

Latzhosenjunge wrote:
some kind of predictable, misinformed, inaccurate, off-topic reply to this

NEVERMIND Wink

Latzhosenjunge wrote:
but... but... I must reply because

BUT... BUT... NEVERMIND Wink

Latzhosenjunge wrote:
hey... that's not fair... I

NEVERMIND OR I'LL GET PAC-MAN TO CHASE YOU DOWN AND EAT YOU Wink Wink Wink (in a friendly way of course)
Latzhosenjunge
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:37 pm

Quote:
Latzhosenjunge wrote:
some kind of predictable, misinformed, inaccurate, off-topic reply to this

Latzhosenjunge wrote:
but... but... I must reply because

Latzhosenjunge wrote:
hey... that's not fair... I

I never wrote this, but NEVERMIND! Looks like some kind of rabulism if you know what this is. And if that's the kind you use to behave, do so. There's no need for you to help me in any way so if you just wanna f*ck me up, do it or leave it if you're happy. NEVERMIND, too Wink
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:06 pm

Latzhosenjunge wrote:
Hi BrotherTank,

after the thread in the multi texture-topic seems to become out of control I contact you to inform you about Chris having violated the board rule E and G.
I believe that both he and you misunderstood me from the very beginning: I was not asking somebody to do my work. It was not about me having a problem and finding someone to fix it while I sit back in my armchair and watch him doing my job. Surely not
For me, Chris' first posting sounded like he was waiting for someone with an old computer to make a general speed test with it due to he's interested in the values for himself. So he expressed and that made me angry because I was really happy not to have to code modification tortoure again. Then he came around with a very unpolite text "Sorry dude, I will not help yuo unless..." - is that the way of behaviour inside this board? Is that the way you all communicate with each other? This is not the first board I am posting in but the first board where members are being insulted at. Due to his last posting I feel insulted by him and reacted in an angry way, telling him that he doesn't have to help me in ANY way. Meanwhile I tried to clear this via PM.

Anyway: i believe that there was a misunderstanding from the beginning. But I can not accept the way this member "speaks" to me, especially not in the public. Therefore, I furtheron believe that you as the administrator of this board should have a look at the discussion again and perhaps speak to him. I am sure we will find a solution.

Regards,

Latzhosenjunge

Maybe there were mis-iterpretations on both sides? I find it interesting that you can see fit to ask for him to be disciplined but not yourself, especially when if what you say is true, you openly admit to getting angry at his response and taking it out on him. If that is the case, everyone needs to play nice.

The way I read the thread, was that you were having problems and needed help. He was responding saying that he would help but it would be interesting to see the numbers as they would aid in finding out what code may be in conflict to find the problem. As I said in the thread, he can't see what you have done (and posting the entire code changes from all the files involved is completely out of the question - just too large and a waste of space), so he's asking for the numbers that he believes will be able to help him diagnose your problem.

Maybe there is an understanding problem because english is not your first or main language. Either way, I tried to put a stop to it with my post - but obviously you just didn't understand what I had written. If that is the case, please re-read my post until you do, because I can't put it any more simply. It was your comment on "why should I do the work for him" when he is trying to help you?? I think you would do it BECAUSE he is trying to help you.

If you don't want his help, then just say.... if you do.. then I suggest doing as he has asked. It's rather simple and I can't make it any clearer than that. The problem started when YOU didn't like his answer and replied the way you did, so I clearly can't say that he is the cause of this problem.

At least, that is how I read it.

Greg
BrotherTank
Forums Admin
- Response crossposted into the thread so that all parties can see my response.
- Response and offending posts can be removed from the thread in 30 days by admins/mods.

@ALL: Lets stop the fighting/bickering and return the topic back to the subject of the thread. Thanks.

Edit Below - Added after reading all the posts in question....

German-English translations for "Der Ton macht die Musik.": "It's not what you say, but how you say it." - I think you should look at your posts, because what you said was not a polite way of handling things in the english language and what you might have been trying to say came out completely different. And while Chris may not have responded nice to you, he was responding using the same tone that he (and many others including myself) saw comming from you. If you want to be treated nice, you first have to treat those you are talking to nicely. Basically a "Do onto others as you would have them do unto you".

And in reguards to his quoting you and you saying you didn't say that... he was right... you posted this in this thread... :

Latzhosenjunge wrote:
You misunderstood but nevermind Wink Let me install EOD and the speed feature (and perhaps you'd like to write me a PM what kinds of sounds you wish for your game).

That is extremely confusing and as Chris responded belongs in the thread where you were discussing making your mod (as that is how I read things). I think the other quotes were from the orginal thread where you are talking about the game you are making.

Anyhow,.... Enough said... Lets all get back to Topic - Thanks.

BrotherTank
Forums Admin

The probability of someone watching you is directly related to the Stupidity of your actions
&
The two most abundant things in the Universe are Hydrogen & Stupidity - H.Ellison

Which of those is more relevant to you??
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:31 pm

Thanks for clearing all that up Greg. I midaswell explain something, since there seems to be some confusion here...

Latzhosenjunge wrote:
Then he came around with a very unpolite text "Sorry dude, I will not help yuo unless..." - is that the way of behaviour inside this board?

The problem is that I don't believe you yet, which is why I told you to do the test. You shouldn't blame the multi-textures for all your problems until you do some research to understand what you're dealing with. I'm not going to help you automatically if I truly don't believe the problem is strictly related to the multi-textures. I've read all your posts in this thread before I made my initial post, so I know everything you added, how you respond to things (this tutorial doesn't work! etc.), and I know you haven't really been keeping track of each step when sending things to your 486. You will not learn anything by simply assuming things, and it would be wise to try everything again since you ran into so many problems the last time. You might learn a few more things this way, get better at coding, reading and understanding, organization, and maybe even catch a few more mistakes you made last time along this way. Again, why should I believe you if you're still using the old code that you had to keep adjusting from the help of others because it contained so many errors? If you could make a code that works from start to finish, and prove it, where I'm not hearing 3 pages of problems from you, and where you're keeping track of everything along the way, then maybe I'll believe what you say a little better.

Anyway, like you, I followed the tutorial for the noscalers, shading, floor/ceiling textures, and multi-textures, and I didn't run into ANY of the compiling problems you described along the way... so I have no clue how you got them, except perhaps from doing things too impatiently or not being able to read the tutorials properly. Does that break any rules for me to say that? I'm just giving you honest feedback, it just seems to me like you have a long way to go before you fully understand what you are talking about, so I'm just trying to clarify everything about your situation so we know exactly what we're dealing with codewise here.

But ok, you don't want to learn anything on your own, so I'll post the results from a random fps test I did instead.

TEST1.EXE - Original
TEST2.EXE - Original with noScalers
TEST3.EXE - Original with Shading
TEST4.EXE - Original with Shading and noScalers
TEST5.EXE - Original with Textures
TEST6.EXE - Original with Textures and noScalers
TEST7.EXE - Original with Textures and Multi
TEST8.EXE - Original with Textures, Multi and noScalers
TEST9.EXE - Original with Textures, Multi and 3rd Plane Floortiles

S- seconds it takes to load E1L1 on the Get Psyched screen
1- fps during E1L1 start
2- fps during E1L1 right infront of door
3- fps during E1L1 opening/closing door
4- fps during E2L1 moving back arrow
5- fps during E3L1 turned 315 degrees
6- fps during E4L1 start
7- fps during E5L1 start
8- fps during E6L1 bring em on
9- fps during E6L1 death incarnate

Dosbox 0.65 at 8000 cycles

EXE           S |   1    2    3    4    5    6   7    8    9
-----------------------------------------------------------
Test1.exe   04 |  53  60  55  55  58  36  50  42  41
Test2.exe   03 |  13  10  10  12  11  13  15  15  15
Test3.exe   22 |  25  39  33  29  34  15  21  18  17
Test4.exe   21 |  11  09  09  11  10  12  13  13  13
Test5.exe   04 |  08  14  11  08  10  07  07  07  07
Test6.exe   04 |  07  07  07  07  07  07  07  07  07
Test7.exe   04 |  07  08  07  07  07  07  07  07  07
Test8.exe   04 |  07  07  07  07  07  07  07  07  07
Test9.exe   04 |  07  09  07  07  07  07  07  07  07

Dosbox 0.65 on auto/max cycles

Test1.exe   04 |  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70
Test2.exe   04 |  37  26  29  36  32  37  41  42  41
Test3.exe   11 |  68  70  65  70  70  45  61  53  51
Test4.exe   11 |  31  24  26  31  27  34  34  36  35
Test5.exe   04 |  19  35  28  23  27  16  19  18  17
Test6.exe   04 |  14  17  17  15  16  13  15  14  14
Test7.exe   04 |  11  21  17  13  15  09  10  09  09
Test8.exe   04 |  09  12  12  10  11  07  09  09  09
Test9.exe   04 |  13  24  19  15  17  09  12  11  11

Toshiba Satellite T2010 386 / 4 meg of ram

Test1.exe   05 |  55  52  50  56  53  53  59  55  53 
Test2.exe   05 |  33  24  26  32  29  33  36  36  34
Test3.exe   13 |  41  45  40  43  44  32  39  36  34
Test4.exe   11 |  29  22  22  28  25  30  31  32  30
Test5.exe   05 |  18  25  23  19  21  14  17  16  16
Test6.exe   05 |  15  17  16  15  15  12  13  14  13
Test7.exe   05 |  11  15  14  11  13  09  10  09  09
Test8.exe   05 |  09  11  11  10  11  08  09  09  09
Test9.exe   06 |  09  13  11  10  11  07  09  09  08

Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT 486 / 100mhz

Test1.exe   06 |  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70
Test2.exe   06 |  70  49  54  70  61  70  70  70  70
Test3.exe   07 |  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70
Test4.exe   07 |  70  48  54  70  60  70  70  70  70
Test5.exe   06 |  43  67  57  46  52  34  40  39  38
Test6.exe   06 |  37  39  39  38  38  31  36  35  35
Test7.exe   06 |  29  46  40  30  35  23  26  25  25
Test8.exe   06 |  25  31  30  27  28  22  24  23  23
Test9.exe   06 |  25  37  32  27  30  20  24  23  22

Asus Centrino with Windows XP Pro 1.7ghz

Test1.exe   04 |  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70
Test2.exe   04 |  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70
Test3.exe   04 |  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70
Test4.exe   04 |  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70
Test5.exe   04 |  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70
Test6.exe   04 |  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70
Test7.exe   04 |  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70
Test8.exe   04 |  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70
Test9.exe   04 |  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70  70

So, from what I can tell, these things are true for most really old computers:

- The shading tutorial is what causes the game to start up slow *
- The game generally goes faster without the noscalers tutorial, especially near walls *
- Ceiling/Floor textures DO make the game go a lot slower, not just the multi-textures *
- The noscalers tutorial doesn't bring the speed down as harshly when textures are on
- Areas with darker shading (further in the background) seem to go a little slower
- Multi-textures is slightly slower than regular textures, possibly because it's two separate functions
- Multi-textures seem to have a slight difference in speed when you use the 3rd plane method

* denotes stuff you could have easily figured out by trying this yourself instead of playing drama queen in PMs

Here's the files/source I used to do the testing:

http://www.canadianphilatelics.com/choksta/Latzhosenjunge.zip

I would have done more tests while moving/shooting, but it's harder to find a clear fps that way. All the non-source files can fit together on one 3-1/2 1.44Mb floppy disk uncompressed. VERSION.H contains the defines so you can pick which features you want to compile with, if you want to create more exes with that (though I do suggest you make your own too). If anything about those test exes I posted acts different speed-wise on your computer, feel free to post your results, because it would be interesting to know this information. I didn't want to spoil the surprises for you, as I feel you would have learned more from doing this from your own experiences, but whatever. Atleast now you know it's not just the "multi-textured floors" patch that is causing the game to slow down on your really outdated computer. Razz
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:43 am

Last edited by Thomas on Sun May 29, 2011 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Latzhosenjunge
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:01 pm

BrotherTank wrote:
I think you should look at your posts, because what you said was not a polite way of handling things in the english language and what you might have been trying to say came out completely different.
I am sorry if this was the way it was. I don't believe that I have been impolite before the dispute started, but if you think so, it will have been so. Just let me say one last thing: posting a private message in a public board without asking the one who has written the PM might also be a little strange. The other boards that I am posting in would interpret such an action as impolite, too.
But it's finished now, so (to use another idiomatic expression): "Schwamm drüber!" - "Sponge over it", meaning it's forgotten and no one's angry any more Wink

Thank you, Chris for your tests. I must say that I am really impressed. It seems to it has been a lot of work, and I downloaded the ZIP file. However, I am sorry that I can't compile the source. I get strange error messages although I changed nothing. I don't know what's wrong here, but I hope that some day I'll get the problems fixed. Maybe it's because I did a lot of modifications in several files, and perhaps somewhere is a part of code that gets in conflict with another part of code. I am going to have a detailed look at it again.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:30 pm

@Thomas: Does it stop cracking with this one?

http://www.canadianphilatelics.com/choksta/TEST5.EXE

Note: The original exe used the Ceiling/Floor tutorial posted by Brothertank, this one contains one minor change to it.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:38 am

Last edited by Thomas on Sun May 29, 2011 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
lwmxynedtodth
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 38
netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:10 am

Hey,
I'm still having trouble with both custom floor and ceiling textures.
I did all things above, like using the high and the low byte. I used the drawflats given in the first post, and adapted
it to fit high-res graphics and shading. This turned out well, but I still do not get a custom ceiling.
Instead, the ceiling and floor textures are crippled together as a floor texture! I managed to get a good floor texture (not crippled), but the
ceiling texture still does not work!

I hope nobody minds posting my Flats code here, because I think the fault is in there:

void DrawFlats(unsigned tex_f, unsigned tex_c)
{
   int x, y, y0, halfheight, shade;
   unsigned top_offset0, bot_offset0, top_offset, bot_offset;
   unsigned top_add, bot_add;
   byte p, color;
   byte far *src_bot, far *src_top;
   fixed dist;            // distance to row projection
   fixed tex_step;         // global step per one screen pixel
   fixed gu, gv, du, dv;   // global texture coordinates
   int u, v;            // local texture coordinates
   int floorx,floory;
   unsigned curfloortex, lastfloortex;

// ------ * prepare * --------
   halfheight=viewheight>>1;
   y0=min_wallheight>>3;      // starting y value
   if(y0>halfheight)
      return;     // view obscued by walls
   if(y0==0)
      y0=1;       // don't let division by zero
   top_offset0=80*(halfheight-y0-1);   // and will decrease by 80 each row
   bot_offset0=80*(halfheight+y0);     // and will increase by 80 each row
   src_top=PM_GetPage(tex_c);          // load ceiling texture
   // draw horizontal lines
   lastfloortex=-1;
   for(p=0; p<4; p++)
   {
      asm mov ax,0x0102
      asm mov cl,[p]
      asm shl ah,cl
      asm mov dx,0x3c4
      asm out dx,ax

for(y=y0, top_offset=top_offset0; y<halfheight; y++, top_offset-=80)
      {
         dist=(heightnumerator/y)<<5;
         gu= viewx+FixedByFrac(dist, viewcos);
         gv=-viewy+FixedByFrac(dist, viewsin);
         tex_step=(dist<<8)/viewwidth/175;
         du= FixedByFrac(tex_step, viewsin);
         dv=-FixedByFrac(tex_step, viewcos);
         gu-=((viewwidth>>1)-p)*du;
         gv-=((viewwidth>>1)-p)*dv; // starting point (leftmost)
         du<<=2; // 4pix step
         dv<<=2;

shade=(y<<2)/((maxscaleshl2>>8)+1+LSHADE_flag);
          if(shade>32) shade=32;
          else if(shade<1) shade=1;
          shade=32-shade;

for(x=p, top_add=top_offset; x<viewwidth; x+=4, top_add++)
         {
            if(wallheight[x]>>3<=y)
            {
          floorx = (gu>>TILESHIFT)&63;
               floory = (-(gv>>TILESHIFT)-1)&63;
               curfloortex=MAPSPOT(floorx,floory,0)>>8;
               if (curfloortex != lastfloortex)
               {   
                  lastfloortex=curfloortex;
                  src_bot=PM_GetPage(curfloortex);
               }

u=(gu>>9)&127;
               v=(gv>>9)&127;
               color=shadetable[shade][*(src_top+((127-u)<<7)+(127-v))];
               // draw top pixel using <color>
               asm mov es,[screenseg]
               asm mov di,[bufferofs]
               asm add di,[top_add]
               asm mov al,[color]
               asm mov es:[di],al
            }
            gu+=du;
            gv+=dv;
         }
      }
   }
   src_bot=PM_GetPage(tex_f); // load floor texture
   lastfloortex=-1;
   for(p=0; p<4; p++)
   {
      asm mov ax,0x0102
      asm mov cl,[p]
      asm shl ah,cl
      asm mov dx,0x3c4
      asm out dx,ax

for(y=y0, bot_offset=bot_offset0; y<halfheight; y++, bot_offset+=80)
      {
         dist=(heightnumerator/y)<<5;
         gu= viewx+FixedByFrac(dist, viewcos);
         gv=-viewy+FixedByFrac(dist, viewsin);
         tex_step=(dist<<8)/viewwidth/175;
         du= FixedByFrac(tex_step, viewsin);
         dv=-FixedByFrac(tex_step, viewcos);
         gu-=((viewwidth>>1)-p)*du;
         gv-=((viewwidth>>1)-p)*dv; // starting point (leftmost)
         du<<=2; // 4pix step
         dv<<=2;

shade=(y<<2)/((maxscaleshl2>>8)+1+LSHADE_flag);
          if(shade>32) shade=32;
          else if(shade<1) shade=1;
          shade=32-shade;

for(x=p, bot_add=bot_offset; x<viewwidth; x+=4, bot_add++)
         {
            if(wallheight[x]>>3<=y)
            {
               floorx = (gu>>TILESHIFT)&63;
               floory = (-(gv>>TILESHIFT)-1)&63;
               curfloortex=MAPSPOT(floorx,floory,0)&0xff;
               if (curfloortex != lastfloortex)
               {   
                  lastfloortex=curfloortex;
                  src_bot=PM_GetPage(curfloortex);
               }
               u=(gu>>9)&127;
               v=(gv>>9)&127;
               color=shadetable[shade][*(src_bot+(u<<7)+(127-v))];
               // draw bottom pixel using <color>
               asm mov es,[screenseg]
               asm mov di,[bufferofs]
               asm add di,[bot_add]
               asm mov al,[color]
               asm mov es:[di],al
            }
            gu+=du;
            gv+=dv;
         }
      }
   }
}

It is not exactly the same, and I'm not quite sure the shading has to declared twice (for floor and ceiling), but that works.
Hope someone can check this out, because I can't see the trees through the forest anymore:D

- lwmxynedtodth

lwmxynedtodth
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:11 am

Oh, and before I forget: where do I have to put this custom code, like 1234 flamer46 said above?
Do I have to put it in the normal wall plane (1) or the third plane (3)?

- lwmxynedtodth

Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:31 am

Plane 3, which is where your problem lies in the code also, you use MAPSPOT(floorx,floory,0) instead of MAPSPOT(floorx,floory,2).

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:26 am

Thanks. After I did that, nothing was actually solved. I digged another time through the code, and saw that
I swapped src_bot=PM_GetPage(curfloortex); for src_top=PM_GetPage(curfloortex); .
The cropping of the images was because the engine tried to draw 2 textures on one tile!Very Happy

Thanks for helping me out, I'm now cracking my brains on combining ceiling textures with the parallax sky.

- lwmxynedtodth

Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

finland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:34 am

I inserted some code into the DrawFlats routine to calculate the ammount of page requests it does per call. Even after spending a lot of time to optimize it, I have witnessed readings as high as 800 page requests, I think it is time to put our creative minds together to get more reasonable number of page requests.
Think

lwmxynedtodth
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:36 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Good point. My 1.2 Ghz nearly hits 50 fps. It is not very optimized.

- lwmxynedtodth

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Code Tutorials View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 7 of 8 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to: