DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Ancient FPS games
Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Other Wolf3d Based Games View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Ringman
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 51
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:43 am
   Subject: Re: Ancient FPS games
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Ok I got a hard disk img created, now how do I install dos to it?

DieHard SS

Topics: 19
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:22 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hi - i got a real huge mega massive favour to ask - I gots the Duke nukem 3D killaton collection and the discs - they are broken which is no big deal since i got a port - problem is i grabbed the GRP Files from the discs and never saved them - now i cant retrieve them from my bung CD's and the port has patched the ones i saved to death (there not duke 3D GRP files anymore) Which means that i cant use them with JonoF's sweet as JFduke port (with 3D models) anymore Sad . would it be possible (or legal) for somone to send me the GRP files for Duke3D killaton collection - i can provide proof that i DO own the originals (i have the discs and the case inserts + the level mastering CD). Apparently the previous port (just a native Duke port with no extra bits) has changed the GRP files and JFDuke3D picks up compile errors and packs a spaz.

Or is there a CD rescue App somone could suggest (preffered soloution)

DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:07 pm

I have just discovered the most RETARDED method to get old build games to run at high res on Windows XP.

First off I got nolfb.com from ken silverman's site. However that never worked for me for some odd reason until NOW!

I found out you needed to have the games on 256 color mode, I set the check box in the compatibility tab but it did nothing, until one day I was playing Zdoom....

I was playing the wad simplicity, I was trying as hard as I could to strafe a Baron of Hell's slime ball while unloading on him with the double barrel shotgun. Well anyway I happened to press ctrl+alt+right at the same time and bam, my whole screen flips horizontally! Freaking out for a second, I quickly remedied the problem by pressing ctrl+alt+up. However, it was too late, the Baron wasted my ass. So I just exited out of Zdoom frustrated for the moment. (I have a habit of not saving) anyway when I exited out the screen was low color! I realized it was at 256, and I wondered if maybe my build games would run at a higher res then 320X240 so I booted up old blood with nolfb and set the res to max and VOILA! IT WORKED!!!! As retarded as this sounds I now am able to play my build games at a max res because of this. If anyone knows another way to do it let me know. But hey at least its a funny story.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 139
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 pm

Ringman wrote:
If anyone knows another way to do it let me know.

You got it - Run a low-res DOS game in "DOS Box" with "scaler=advinterp2x" in the xxxxxxx.CONF file.

DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:05 am

Will that make dosbox run them any faster? Right now its a slide show when using dosbox, this goofy method runs it at full speed.

DieHard SS

Topics: 19
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:16 pm

Ringman wrote:
I have just discovered the most RETARDED method to get old build games to run at high res on Windows XP.

First off I got nolfb.com from ken silverman's site. However that never worked for me for some odd reason until NOW!

I found out you needed to have the games on 256 color mode, I set the check box in the compatibility tab but it did nothing, until one day I was playing Zdoom....

I was playing the wad simplicity, I was trying as hard as I could to strafe a Baron of Hell's slime ball while unloading on him with the double barrel shotgun. Well anyway I happened to press ctrl+alt+right at the same time and bam, my whole screen flips horizontally! Freaking out for a second, I quickly remedied the problem by pressing ctrl+alt+up. However, it was too late, the Baron wasted my ass. So I just exited out of Zdoom frustrated for the moment. (I have a habit of not saving) anyway when I exited out the screen was low color! I realized it was at 256, and I wondered if maybe my build games would run at a higher res then 320X240 so I booted up old blood with nolfb and set the res to max and VOILA! IT WORKED!!!! As retarded as this sounds I now am able to play my build games at a max res because of this. If anyone knows another way to do it let me know. But hey at least its a funny story.

i have a tutorial to get Blood running well native on XP and for Duke nukem, you can use the JF port - As soon as the buggers who own the rights to these games release the code, they will undoubtedly be ported. I know that everyone loves blood so thats a forgone conclusion

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 139
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:43 pm

OT -

Ringman wrote:
Will that make dosbox run them any faster? Right now its a slide show when using dosbox, this goofy method runs it at full speed.

It'll run more slowly this way, I'm afraid. I mostly run non-3D games in this mode, like Bananoid, Fallout, VGA Leaper, and "Vinyl: The Devil Goddess From Mars".

Still, the performance shouldn't be so lousy in DOS Box unless you've got something enabled in its options that's slowing it down. Maybe you could E-Mail the DOSBOX.CONF file to me and I can change the options so that it runs better on your machine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:35 am

Hi there. I'm new to these boards, so this is my first posting.

andy3012 wrote:
Powerslave - I recently got this from an Abandonware site, but for some reason i can't get it to work on XP

I have the original (named Exhumed in europe). I guess it is an issue with the soundcard configuration. I play mine under Win98 SE and it works well.
There are Saturn and Playstation ports too, they use the Engine used for Duke Nukem 3D on this systems.

andy3012 wrote:
Quiver - I also got this from an Abaondonware site, the game also refuses to work

I remember the demo, never saw the full version. Nothing special.

andy3012 wrote:
Strife - Same as above but it does look kool. (The .zip file is broken)

Great game, but time consuming. ZDoom support Strife and run well with it as far as i see til now.

andy3012 wrote:
Shadow Caster - I've not downloaded but its an RPG type FPS and looks wickid

Have it, but never really played.

andy3012 wrote:
KillingTime - This game does remind me of Powerslave alot, (as i did own Powerslave before i downloaded it but lost it) its the same sort of setting but is wierd)

Forget the "underdogs version". Its crappy and castrated. Neat game, but the PC port is a little bit dusty. The Mac and the 3DO versions are much better.

andy3012 wrote:
Fate - I think this was another Capstone game or Intracorp of something that failed.

It's a shame Fate never get finished. The demo was good and promised a great game.

andy3012 wrote:
Leged of the Seven Paladins - Some wierd Asian Game, and theirs only a demo of it around

I have seen some various versions of the demo and the full version. It was always kind of unplayable. Strange stuff.

andy3012 wrote:
Chasm the Rift - I downloaded this from Abandoware site but can't get it to work. But it looks kool and i have played a demo ages ago.

DOS game, same problem as the most of them under WinXP. I liked the game back then. I have a beta (from 1996 i think) somewhere on two disks with an model viewer tool and an Raptor model newer used in the final game.

andy3012 wrote:
Witchaven - Im sure everybody has heard of this Capstone game. But still it is quite cool.

Great atmosphere, but i think that melee weapon thing newer really worked from the 1st person view.

andy3012 wrote:
Anybody heard of some other odd sounding ancient FPS games? Say here, because im on a rampage to collect them all Laughing dont ask why its a fetish i have at the mo.

There was tons of games back then. The Fortress of Dr. Radiaki, Island Peril or Depth Dwellers come to my mind. But most of them was just crappy wannabe-wolf-doom-followers.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 86
israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:51 am

Quote:
Powerslave - I recently got this from an Abandonware site, but for some reason i can't get it to work on XP
Quiver - I also got this from an Abaondonware site, the game also refuses to work
Strife - Same as above but it does look kool. (The .zip file is broken)
Shadow Caster - I've not downloaded but its an RPG type FPS and looks wickid
KillingTime - This game does remind me of Powerslave alot, (as i did own Powerslave before i downloaded it but lost it) its the same sort of setting but is wierd)
Fate - I think this was another Capstone game or Intracorp of something that failed.
Leged of the Seven Paladins - Some wierd Asian Game, and theirs only a demo of it around
Chasm the Rift - I downloaded this from Abandoware site but can't get it to work. But it looks kool and i have played a demo ages ago.
Witchaven - Im sure everybody has heard of this Capstone game. But still it is quite cool.

Anybody heard of some other odd sounding ancient FPS games? Say here, because im on a rampage to collect them all dont ask why its a fetish i have at the mo.

Oh, I can give you much much more....all old 3D shooters

1. Redneck Rampage, Tekwar and other Build games
2. Greed (have a demo) - actually a nice game. But never met a guy who knew that game somehow.
http://www.geocities.com/maxgenis/tellme1.jpg
3. Space Station Escape (have a demo)
http://www.geocities.com/maxgenis/tellme2.jpg
4. 3D shooter (have a demo)
http://www.geocities.com/maxgenis/tellme3.jpg
5. Scafander (have a demo)
6. Catacombs 3D, Nightmare 3D, Corridor 7 ...............
7. Operation bodycount and such....
8. LineDeath (have a demo) - the most crappiest 3D shooter even made.
http://www.geocities.com/maxgenis/tellme5.jpg
9. Modem 3D
http://www.geocities.com/maxgenis/tellme6.jpg
...I can probably list many more...
....but anyway.

For Blood lovers, the game (Blood) was ported to zDoom, can give you the link to the zBLUD, play and have fun. Veeeery good and loyal TC.

And for Witchaven lovers - it's port for zDoom (zWitchaven - the Revival) is one of my current projects in work. if you want to help it - join our team. It'll include graphics from both Witchaven and Witchaven 2, better mapped levels, better enemy AI, cool new features.[/quote]
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 40
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:45 am

zBLUD and zWitchaven sound interesting. I'll look them up sometime, thanks.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:14 am

zBLUD thread:
http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread.php?t=30126

Latest zBLUD:
http://doorhenge.cabspace.com/downloads/zBLUDV33.zip

Note that the *.bat file needs to look like this for it to work:
::: CODE :::
zdoom -file zBLUDv33.wad -file BludhiRz.wad

zWitchaven thread:
http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread.php?t=31624

zWitchaven development forum link will be given only for those who are interested to join the project, and have zDoom ACS/Decorate scripting or Doom mapping skills.
The main character already knows to use both sword and shild as alt-fire Wink
lwmxynedtodth
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 38
netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:37 am

The first FPS of all: Spasim

- lwmxynedtodth

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:39 pm

doomjedi wrote:
1. Redneck Rampage

Redneck Rampage and the 2 Add Ons (RR - Suckin Grits on Route 66 and RR rides again) where some of my favourites back then. Hours of fun, tons of jokes.

doomjedi wrote:
Tekwar

Poor IP game, never played more than an half an hour.

doomjedi wrote:
and other Build games

I guess we have all listed in this thread but WWII GI and NAM/Napalm, which are eDuke games.

doomjedi wrote:
2. Greed (have a demo) - actually a nice game. But never met a guy who knew that game somehow.

Ist this In Pursuit of Greed?
The flamethrower look great.

doomjedi wrote:
3. Space Station Escape (have a demo)

Look like one of the shooters made with the crappy Pie in the sky system.

doomjedi wrote:
4. 3D shooter (have a demo)

Pie in the sky too.

doomjedi wrote:
5. Scafander (have a demo)

Skaphander - Der Auftrag. I have the full version, crappy wannabe.

doomjedi wrote:
6. Catacombs 3D

That old pre Wolf game by id Software. Funny to see today.

doomjedi wrote:
Nightmare 3D

Whoa, what a crap.

doomjedi wrote:
Corridor 7 ...............

Often mentioned here.

doomjedi wrote:
7. Operation bodycount and such....

Funny game for a while.

doomjedi wrote:
8. LineDeath (have a demo) - the most crappiest 3D shooter even made.

The wall textures looks great for a game like this.

doomjedi wrote:
9. Modem 3D

Looks like ... don't know exactly what, but it seems to be crap.

doomjedi wrote:
...I can probably list many more...
....but anyway.

Why not? I guess it is interesting for many who don't have seen all that games back then to know them. This here seems to be a place where old scool shooters have their place. Haven't they? Wink

Another game come to my mind. I played the demo back then and it was fun. Nothing special, just a piece of fun. Unfortunately i never got my hands on it, but it's freeware for a couple of years now.

Alien Cabal

And now for two laughs:

Angst - Rahz's Revenge
One of the crappiest shooters ever. Back then unplayable on which system ever you tried.

Pastor 3D
A christian "shooter" done by an "hardcore catholicist". In the readme from the demo was to read, that it is forbidden to pack the demo together with satanic games like DooM. Mr Green
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:19 pm

Christian 3D shooter? heh, funny.

Well, if you need demos of some of the games I've listed (like LineDeath (trust me, this one is crappy, despite the wall textures)), and others (In purciut of Greed...) just ask Smile
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 40
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:21 pm

@doomjedi: Super Noah's Ark was as well, though technically, I guess you would call it a Jewish FPS. Smile

There's also HoverTank 3D and Terminator Rampage...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:12 pm

doomjedi wrote:
Christian 3D shooter? heh, funny.

This one is not funny, it's crap. I guess you can't understand whats written on the site, cause it's in german. But alone the text is a bad joke.
Plus, it's technically crap. You need at least 590 k of free conventional memory for this.

doomjedi wrote:
Well, if you need demos of some of the games I've listed (like LineDeath (trust me, this one is crappy, despite the wall textures)), and others (In purciut of Greed...) just ask Smile

Give me a link, i love to see those piece of history. Mr Green

Adam Biser wrote:
There's also HoverTank 3D and Terminator Rampage...

Hovertank, done by id Software too. I liked The Terminator Rampage somehow, don't know why cause its just another wolf-style shooter.
Before that Bethesda released The Terminator 2029, a kind of First Person RTS and an Add On named The Terminator 2029 - Operation Scour.

Ah, i have done a quick look through my games and found some other interesting titles.
Eradicator was a cool game. 3 (iirc) playable characters, and a remote controlled minivehicle with a cam and a bomb as a special gimmick. Very funny.
Rex Blade a simple shooter with some "hacking game"
The Hidden Below a wolfstyle shooter done by a german company. Funny note: There was an patch from the developers which made a higher violence level available. This patch was sent only on a disk when you sent them a photocopy of your passport to verify that you are over 18.
Some years before there was an discussion about that on my messageboard (from which the database rised, where most of my links are from) about that patch. Two of our users started this discussion because they had tried to get this patch from the developers. The game was more than 5 years old at this time. Even the developers had lost this patch.
So i registered at the forum of the developer, told in the thread about the patch in this forum that i own the original disk and asked what to do? After 2 month i got an mail from one of the developers and sent the patch to him and they uploaded it.
Some years later the patch wassn't to find there a second time, and today even the site of the developer is gone. Laughing

And the Marathon trilogy, which is freeware too:

Get it here
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 150
canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:49 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Just a quick reminder that this section of the forums is for:

"Other Games USING the WOLF3D engine as a base"

Thus this thread is either way out of line and in the wrong section or being highjacked into something else. So lets stay on thread and on forum setup.

Also don't forget the rules. Even though you may think a game is Freeware, Abandonware, or such, please do NOT post links to sites hosting these files UNLESS it is the game authors site with an official download link. I (and the other forum admin) don't have the time, or resources to be pulled into some type of piracy claim/suit. Hence the forum rules on Pirating software. We give you the rules and hopefully, you will follow them and not make extra work where we have to validate each and every post that is made in the forums.

Greg
BrotherTank

The probability of someone watching you is directly related to the Stupidity of your actions
&
The two most abundant things in the Universe are Hydrogen & Stupidity - H.Ellison

Which of those is more relevant to you??
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Other Wolf3d Based Games View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: