DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

The suspense of Wolfenstein
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:16 pm
   Subject: The suspense of Wolfenstein
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Today I played Wolfenstein for the first time in probably five years (curse you, source code). Most of it was with God Mode on because ... well, even when I played Wolf constantly I was laughably bad (oh, the stories I could tell). But I noticed that though I could stand in the middle of a firefight and suffer no ill effects, I would get the occasional chill while walking through an eerily quiet corridor and even jump a bit upon finally hearing an "Achtung!" come out of nowhere. And this is nothing new, as I can remember more than a few times in the past where I'd physically react to something going on in the game.

I can't think of another game that's elicited a reaction from me that was quite as strong ... I've played Doom and its variations to no end and maybe gotten a few mild creepy feelings at most, and Duke3d/Redneck Rampage were a bit too goofy to scare me. But here's this game whose engine doesn't lend itself at all to the usual forms of "atmosphere" (ie: lighting, shadows, floor/ceiling textures) and whose graphics can occasionally border on the cartoonish, and yet I'm creeped out seemingly every time I sit down and play it for more than a few minutes.
Schabbs
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 33
uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:20 am
   Subject: Re: The suspense of Wolfenstein
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I guess it's that atmosphere that's responsible for a lot of the popularity that Wolf 3D still has - even after all these years. Smile I find Rise Of the Triad about the nearest to getting that atmosphere in other games.

The popularity of Wolf3D doesn't seem to fade even with the problems trying to get it running on WinME/XP.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:02 am

The atmosphere is one of the reasons I keep coming back to Wolf year after year. I remember back in the old days, I was actually AFRAID to play Episode 2, because I was so creeped out by the mutants and the nasty looking walls and corridors. I don't necessarily have to play with every light on nowadays, but it's still a thrill sneaking around listening to doors opening and closing, wondering where your enemies are.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:14 am

Schabbs wrote:
I guess it's that atmosphere that's responsible for a lot of the popularity that Wolf 3D still has - even after all these years.

That and the superior gameplay in general. Some games like Wolf, Lemmings, X-com, etc will never grow old, because the gameplay is impeccable. It's simple, but perfect. Even in an otherwise fantastic game like, say, GTA San Andreas, I have a MILLION things that annoy me about the gameplay. In wolf there's only very minor details, like being able to shoot through doors not fully opened, guards shooting through each other, etc., things you'll grow used to and don't think about after a while. I know I'll still play this game in yet another 15 years.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:27 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The gameplay has only one minor flaw that I've noticed - Once you kill everyone in the level, it's virtually impossible to die (aside from Level 10, Episode 3). Of course, many code enhancements of Wolf3D have that problem fixed, including Blake Stone.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: