DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

wtf?
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Speak to Us View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
confused

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:11 pm
   Subject: wtf?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

This site is a joke right?

Ppl moding wolf3d and its source engine... dudes wolf 3d was out of date 8 years ago! Its ok to be a fan of something, but this is just sad! On your FAQ page it lists wolf3d's required system spec, if your looking at this website then you could run Wolf3d 30 times at once. Why are you working on such an old abandon game, If you wish to mod, go hl2 or Farcry.. even half life 1 can be modded by a 5 year old. I realy mean not to insult you. But i sent this link to my mates, and there reaction was "lmao, lol, rofl" they could not understand it.

Some of you seem like smart coders, move on to a game thats worth the time. Lets face it, my mobile phone could run better games then Wolf3d. its 2005 come on! Shocked
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:32 pm
   Subject: Re: wtf?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Can I mod your brain? Very Happy
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:36 pm

...and THAT is the reason why the world of video games is going to hell. Newer = r0x0rpwnagegudderroflcopter
Sorry, couldn't resist. Simply put, gameplay's where it's at, which is why many companies can't make a decent game even when armed with a million dollar development team and the best hardware available.

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:02 pm

confused wrote:

Nope... But we sure can see that you find it funny. To each his own I guess....

confused wrote:
Ppl moding wolf3d and its source engine... dudes wolf 3d was out of date 8 years ago! Its ok to be a fan of something, but this is just sad! On your FAQ page it lists wolf3d's required system spec, if your looking at this website then you could run Wolf3d 30 times at once.

Seems to be a contradiction in your argument.. First you say that it's out of date and infer that we are nuts or something and then you say that it's ok to be a fan of something... So which is it? We the members of this community are fans of the game... and that being said, there is nothing wrong with us adding features and items to the game we are all fans of and enjoy as a hobby.

confused wrote:
Why are you working on such an old abandon game, If you wish to mod, go hl2 or Farcry.. even half life 1 can be modded by a 5 year old. I realy mean not to insult you. But i sent this link to my mates, and there reaction was "lmao, lol, rofl" they could not understand it.

I would say that the reason that we are modding such an old game is because we are Fans of the game. (sarcasm mode on) I'm glad that you and your mates are having such a laugh at our expense. Then when you are done laughing you might want to check out some of the games that have been created using this "outdated" source (see Spear Resurrection, End of Destiny, actung, and some of the other great mods for this game)... They still play as well as some of the newer games as far as strategy is concerned. The graphics may not be as detailed as the newer games, but to a fan of the game, that really doesn't matter much.

confused wrote:
Some of you seem like smart coders, move on to a game thats worth the time. Lets face it, my mobile phone could run better games then Wolf3d. its 2005 come on! Shocked

Again... It shows your lack of respect for the rights of others to keep something alive that they enjoy as a hobby. We all know that these games aren't going to be listed on the top 20 games for this year or any year for that matter...

So with that said... go play with your mobile phone seeing as you think it could run better games than this. Thanks for your comments, and I hope one day you are in the same boat when someone is laughing at you for doing something you enjoy... I'm sure then you will understand how disrespective your comments are.

Forums Admin!

The probability of someone watching you is directly related to the Stupidity of your actions
&
The two most abundant things in the Universe are Hydrogen & Stupidity - H.Ellison

Which of those is more relevant to you??
Sporb2000
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 19
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:59 pm

LOL , all i say to this is - what an uptight bastard - its pretty damn obvious that this is a popular pass time buddy *chuckle* and if there are still fans of the game who find joy in possibly the greatest FPS ever made , then cool , and if they can get even more fun out of said game from modding it , then its well worth the effort - besides , some of the mods for this game are far more fun than some of the s*** that gets pumped out of giant companies these days - *Larf* i cant beleive you would waste time coming here and bugging us , you obviously feel insecure about the whole thing , why else would you bother posting. i must go now before i burst out laughing , *runs off into the night howling with laughter*

Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:54 am

Last edited by Thomas on Thu May 26, 2011 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
wolf3dbreaker
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 31
philippines.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:46 am

confused wrote:

Ppl moding wolf3d and its source engine... dudes wolf 3d was out of date 8 years ago! Its ok to be a fan of something, but this is just sad! On your FAQ page it lists wolf3d's required system spec, if your looking at this website then you could run Wolf3d 30 times at once. Why are you working on such an old abandon game, If you wish to mod, go hl2 or Farcry.. even half life 1 can be modded by a 5 year old. I realy mean not to insult you. But i sent this link to my mates, and there reaction was "lmao, lol, rofl" they could not understand it.

Some of you seem like smart coders, move on to a game thats worth the time. Lets face it, my mobile phone could run better games then Wolf3d. its 2005 come on!

LOL!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

You sound like one of those mentally retarded escaped mental hospital patients!!! Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

So? What's wrong with modding such a great game? I mean, let me compare wolf3d and modern games. First of all, games like hl2, farcry or half life wouldn't be existing if it wasn't for wolfenstein. Besides that, look at the gameplay between those games. Wolf3d enhances your thinking skills, your strategical skills and makes you a lot smarter and more analytical. What about those other games like half life? All they need is for you to act like dumb bastards shooting at another person. But does it make you any smarter? Does it make you stop and think? Does it enhances your analytical skills? NO! It's just plain brawn.

Sure!!! You're mobile phone could run better games than wolf3d. So what? Playstation games can run better games than wolf3d. But what makes those games better? The sounds? Yes. The music? Yes. The graphics? Yes. The gameplay? I don't think so. Compare those modern games that you play right now with wolfenstein3d. You learn something from it. Aside from what I stated before, You do learn somethings about American history. Besides, with those new utilities and those new coders and expert like ideas (Such as Poet, DarkOne, MCS, Ripper, BrotherTank, WSJ, CodeTech and other guys) wolf3d will soon be on the verge of being a better game than most games (Check out EOD for starters!)

See ya dude and sorry if I was to harsh with my reply.
-wolf3dbreaker

DieHard Officer

Topics: 33
sweden.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:40 am

Sorry, confused, this site ain't a joke.

New-age gamers ain't got no respect for nostalgia, older games. If the graphics are bad, they can't play it. If it isn't hardcore action with enormous explosions and has women with huge tits, they can't play it. If you're surprised that some people mod Wolf3d, let me tell you that there are even people hacking Super Mario Bros., and that game's even older.

If you don't respect or don't understand what we do and why we do it, get the [Censored] out of here.

Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 163
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:03 pm

Metal Overlord wrote:
If you're surprised that some people mod Wolf3d, let me tell you that there are even people hacking Super Mario Bros., and that game's even older.

People are even making hacks of Atari 2600 games, like Combat and Berzerk. And folks are also coding new Atari 2600 and Vectrex games from scratch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:34 am

Tricob wrote:
People are even making hacks of Atari 2600 games, like Combat and Berzerk. And folks are also coding new Atari 2600 and Vectrex games from scratch.

Yes, that's true, Some games from Atari 2600 been created for PC like Indenture (called Adventure) which it can be found at
Dos Games Online, And more everywhere

@confused: if you think this forum is joke, then you better shut up and get [bleep] out of this forum Evil or Very Mad .. I don't think this forum is joke... This Forum is for Wolfenstein 3d chatting about how the game works and modify their own mods..... Razz

Your username is very CONFUSED and CONFUSED Twisted Evil Sick
ZuljinRaynor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 19

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:56 am

confused wrote:

OMGLOLIEZBBQROLFCOPTERLAWLLAWL!
You are the one who is a joke. Seiously, its fun to mod wolf. Easy and fast. Your friends must be as dumb as you are. Old and abandoned? I think not. It is still being SOLD! Yes! Wolf not worth time? Well, for me its the least important thing on my mind but still, let's see you mod it. You are the sad one.

I can't stop laughing. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ktnxbye lolies Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Confused Cool Laughing Mad Razz

(Sorry, really funny it is, post must I)
ChiefRebelAngel
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 28
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:40 pm

schmuck wrote:
Ppl moding wolf3d and its source engine... dudes wolf 3d was out of date 8 years ago! Its ok to be a fan of something, but this is just sad! On your FAQ page it lists wolf3d's required system spec, if your looking at this website then you could run Wolf3d 30 times at once.

The tone of your message is quite condecending yet hypocritical. Although we choose to play/mod Wolfensten 3D (which I admit, could be seen as quite lame from a non-gamer's perspective) you infact are actually a pathetic hypocrite, taking time to bash people who choose to play games which you do not approve of. It's like a Star Wars fan squabbling about Trekkies. It's utterly pathetic, sad, loathsome, small-minded, insipid, dull and moronic. Taking the time to troll a forum dedicated to video games, touting your personal prefrences as being "superior" is the geekiest, most pity inducing thing I have ever witnessed (EVAR@$$#%!!!111) in an internet forum. If I was so inclinded (which would mean I'd have to be a socially inept/parent's basement dwelling virgin), I might do the same to a Star Craft forum. But I won't because I have couth and manners and respect (and a sex life).

Do you think your insight will alter the opinions of the members of this community? Do you believe your more developed outlook/mature perspective will cause us all to abandon Wolfenstein in droves, following you in your crusader-like footsteps to the promised land of Half Life 2??

Vapid Bitch wrote:
Why are you working on such an old abandon game, If you wish to mod, go hl2 or Farcry.. even half life 1 can be modded by a 5 year old.

I wouldn't doubt it!

Go waste your time somewhere else, you [Censored] troll.
Metal Overlord
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:06 pm

I wish I had that asshole's email adress so I could drop him a few viruses, hack into his system and destroy his hard drive. Twisted Evil

By the way, confused... Wait, let's call you 'dipshit' from now on, you said that your friends reactions were "rolfmao, lol" and so on. Is it just me or does that sound like you're all a bunch of new-age wannabe gamers who ain't got a thing to do but whine about old games? At least it clearly states that you're all a bunch of [Censored] retards.

BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:44 pm

ok guys...

Lets at least keep the language in check. While he may show no respect to us with his comments, the least we can do is "Not Stoop to His Level". While it might be all he understands, it's time for him and his pals to act like grown ups.... So lets set the example... As for the posters address.... It's from down under:

The IP posting address was: 203.173.28.237
which comes back as 203-173-28-237.dyn.iinet.net.au

Greg
BrotherTank
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:08 pm

Haha. It's interesting reading how people have replied to this.

I actually found the original message somewhat refreshing. I haven't really tried to play any recent games, let alone mod them, so I don't really know how much I'd enjoy them or what I'm missing out on. I always thought Duke Nukem 3d was very fun, and that Doom had alot of great atmosphere and level ideas, and sometimes I ask myself why I've been reluctant to try modding them, or even to try modding Commander Keen games. Aside from wolf3d, I've only experimented with a few old platforms that included level-making abilities (Stunts, Adventure Creator [for C64], Jetpack, Wrecking Crew; for example). Could be fun to try more platforms though.

A few things that got me into modding wolf3d instead of, say, Doom, were perhaps the whole treasure/score aspect, the more colourful feel, and how you could control the guards to be more interactive. I also found it was alot smoother for racing, and enjoyed the simpler style of how the secret passages were hidden. It felt more raw/modest than Blake Stone and Corridor 7 in a few aspects, so everything that stood out hit me a little more. The characters (like the guards, officers, dogs) were always very interesting for me, I can't really put my finger on why, maybe because they seem to have more personality than monsters. It just seemed like a game where you could create some really cool environments and scenarios, and I've had visions for different places to take those levels for ages before I even knew editors existed.

I'm sure there's alot of great games out there that I haven't got around to checking out for some reason (I bought Doom 3, but it doesn't work on either of my laptops anyway - haha). Am I at a loss? Perhaps, I'm not really sure. My life really only has 2 or 3 different main scenarios: working/going out to bars (out in the world/social), and doing wolf3d / music related things at home (relaxing/creative self time). It seems to be a good balance, and I sometimes stray into other interests (looking up new things on the internet, jogging down the road, hanging out with people, going to the mall, etc.); but overall, that general outline seems to work ok right now.

Half Life certainly looks like a fun ride to experience, though I believe that it could be just as fun to create a new world with something like ZZT (that old ASCII game). You know, I'm 23 years old, and this is the first year I seriously tried jacking off as a hobby (which has been a nice escape from the more brain-demanding regular things I do in my spare time); so I guess that shows how I don't really need much to stay happy. As long as you're having fun, there can be a rewarding side to anything.

Brothertank wrote:

The Australia part was pretty easy to pick out without even looking at their IP. Wink
Metal Overlord
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:47 am

BrotherTank wrote:

The IP posting address was: 203.173.28.237

Very Happy
*dials hire-a-hacker*

Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:59 am

Chris wrote:
Aside from wolf3d, I've only experimented with a few old platforms that included level-making abilities (Stunts, Adventure Creator [for C64], Jetpack, Wrecking Crew; for example). Could be fun to try more platforms though.

Jetpack and Stunts... Very nice games. I made several cool levels for the former, and around one hundred tracks for the latter when I still played them. Some of them came out quite, quite well...

Yeah, I had plenty of time to waste...

Ariel.

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:12 pm

Woah. Sounds sweet Ariel! Do you have any of your Jetpack levels still? I'd love to try them out. Smile
I think I've made 36 of them, you can try them out too if you want: http://www.canadianphilatelics.com/choksta/jetpack.zip

Man, we should really compete together in some Stunts tracks sometime too. Like you, I remember having so much fun with that game, competing with my friends, always trying beat each other out for the best time on our own tracks (most of the recent, more memorable ones I can't find though; which really sucks). Not sure if you noticed, but I had a 'conversation' about that game on another thread here once too; that didn't really go anywhere. I actually just watched your Mapping Melee demos in detail for the first time a few days ago, and I can tell that with your kind of reflexes and precision, you'd be quite a challenging Stunts opponent as well. Wink
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:48 pm

Chris wrote:
Can I mod your brain? Very Happy

Once, I modded my brain, and black goo came out, and I ate it, and it tasted like spam Laughing

Maybe it's the same for him?
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:22 pm

Chris wrote:
Aside from wolf3d, I've only experimented with a few old platforms that included level-making abilities (Stunts, Adventure Creator [for C64], Jetpack, Wrecking Crew; for example). Could be fun to try more platforms though.

Don't forget Lode Runner, too. Smile

Though I actually liked the original Nintendo version better than the IBM or Apple port. Haven't tried the C64 port yet, since I can't run the Commodore's system ROM legally. Sad
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:45 am

Chris wrote:
Woah. Sounds sweet Ariel! Do you have any of your Jetpack levels still? I'd love to try them out. Smile
I think I've made 36 of them, you can try them out too if you want: http://www.canadianphilatelics.com/choksta/jetpack.zip

Man, we should really compete together in some Stunts tracks sometime too. Like you, I remember having so much fun with that game, competing with my friends, always trying beat each other out for the best time on our own tracks (most of the recent, more memorable ones I can't find though; which really sucks). Not sure if you noticed, but I had a 'conversation' about that game on another thread here once too; that didn't really go anywhere. I actually just watched your Mapping Melee demos in detail for the first time a few days ago, and I can tell that with your kind of reflexes and precision, you'd be quite a challenging Stunts opponent as well. Wink

Thanks a bunch for the ZIP, Chris. I'm at work at the moment, but I'll make sure to try those levels as soon as I can. It's been a long, long time since I last played Jetpack, so this is the perfect chance to go back to it, if only for a while.

Yes, I still keep all the levels I made for the game, as well as all the tracks I made for Stunts. I never throw anything away - LOL... I'll pack everything inside a ZIP when I get home and send it your way, so you can give my stuff a play! Mr Green

Ariel.

DieHard SS

Topics: 83
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:42 am

Tricob wrote:
Chris wrote:

Don't forget Lode Runner, too. Smile

Though I actually liked the original Nintendo version better than the IBM or Apple port. Haven't tried the C64 port yet, since I can't run the Commodore's system ROM legally. Sad
Sometimes I look through very old threads like this one.

Lode Runner is a lot of fun & you get to make your own levels. I've beaten the 150 levels of the Macintosh's Lode Runner. You might like to watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZgmtMLmqyc
Military
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 21

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:06 am

Thanks for bumping. This thread was interesting for sure... really takes you back...

wolf3dbreaker wrote:

You sound like one of those mentally retarded escaped mental hospital patients!!! Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

...to when we all used to be kids?

I guess this "old games suck" sentiment wouldn't really pop up nowadays in a serious way, with all the retro indie games that get made and tend to get lots of popularity too.

I remember Lode Runner! I didn't remember the name but I totally used to play it and made some levels. Level editing is always a huge plus to me.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 38
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:16 pm

No, trust me, that sentiment is still very present, it's just that the people who don't hold it are the ones who make the retro indie games Razz
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:45 pm

'member ChiefRebelAngel... Always had some fun stuff to say. And Helvete... 'member that one... That was good. Yes, I remember this topic and I'm glad I didn't post anything 'cause I probably would've gone crazy and said stupid stuff. Don't really know how gaming and games in general are today, 11 years after this. But back then, it was still in limbo between cool/retro and old hat. It certainly wasn't generally thought of as a proper game to be taken seriously a la Call of Duty, CounterStrike etc. At least, that was not my experience. I remember being scoffed at for still liking Wolf and Doom (though the latter was generally much more respected) but I was never that big on gaming. Probably there are still people out there finding it funny that we spent the amount of time that we do on this thing... But I still like it and I'm happy you guys do too.

Next year Wolf will turn 25, certainly that must trigger something. Everybody seem to fall in and out of nostalgia so I'm sure Wolf will turn up on some people's radar by surprise.

And Lode Runner... Must've played either that one or a Windows counterpart. Haven't seen it in ages and ages. Sometimes I read old threads like this one too. Good times...
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:47 am

Military wrote:
Thanks for bumping. This thread was interesting for sure... really takes you back...

wolf3dbreaker wrote:

...to when we all used to be kids?

I guess this "old games suck" sentiment wouldn't really pop up nowadays in a serious way, with all the retro indie games that get made and tend to get lots of popularity too.

I remember Lode Runner! I didn't remember the name but I totally used to play it and made some levels. Level editing is always a huge plus to me.

I remember back in the Wolf3D renaissance era, I didn't like to admit that I modded Wolf3D because people would make fun of it. It was so much "cooler" to mod Doom, Quake, or Half Life. I think today, retro is cool so it isn't something that is looked down on quite as much, especially since a lot of people like myself who grew up in the Wolf3D and Doom era aren't into modern games like Call of Duty. A lot of people have realized that newer isn't always better.

I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:46 am

confused wrote:
If you wish to mod, go hl2 or Farcry.. even half life 1 can be modded by a 5 year old.
We aren't just making any old mod here. We are making wolf3d mods. Can a 5 year old make a wolf3d mod using hl2 or farcry? I would like to see the result of that work.
Ginyu
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 2

france.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:57 am

Quote:
We aren't just making any old mod here. We are making wolf3d mods. Can a 5 year old make a wolf3d mod using hl2 or farcry? I would like to see the result of that work.

I would like to see that too. Most mods on recent games takes ages and change little portion of the game.
A lot of Wolf mods are new games/total conversion.
Military
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 21

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:57 am

On the other hand even a 5 year old could make some functional wolf3d levels. (I'm pretty sure I made wolf3d levels from building blocks and toys when I was 5, and that's almost the same thing)

Wolf 3d mapping is delightfully easy, even Doom maps are far more complex to make.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:19 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

If the floor codes setup wasn't an issue, then yes - I'd agree with you, Military. Most of the maps' construction is simple to lay out otherwise. When you have maps for an FPS game built from 2-D game standards, its elements can end up being very basic. So its straightforward construction makes a lot of sense from that viewpoint.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Speak to Us View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: