DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

My First Wolfenstein 3D Experience.
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
GLENN
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 13
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:49 am
   Subject: My First Wolfenstein 3D Experience.
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I would like to share my story of the first time I experienced Wolfenstein 3D. It all started when I was about 8. I just got my first computer and I was very excited. I saw an icon labled Doom 2. I thought "Hmmm. Must be a game." so I played it. I *cheated* and found the secret level "Wolfenstein" I thought it was an awsome level. By then I stopped playing Doom 2 and then found another icon labled WOLF3D. I again thought "Hmmm. Must be another game." So...I started playing and I thought I had seen the first level before. I remembered Doom 2. I realized I wasn't stopping. I had to play more and I had to find more information on this game. After that I downloaded the Spear of Destiny demo (loved it), found out about the "Lost Episodes" (I had to play them), and bought the Activision Wolfenstein 3D and the Spear of Destiny Super CD Pack. And now I'm a part of the DieHard Wolfers Forums. The best site for the best Wolfenstein 3D fans to talk about Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny. I'm very happy to be here.

-Is anybody still reading after all that? Wink

DieHard SS

Topics: 5
sao_tome.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:56 am
   Subject: Re: My First Wolfenstein 3D Experience.
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Neat story, Glenny. Quite a few people here seem to have accidently stumbled accross the game or inadvertently discovered the modern community here. I wonder what their original intentions were...

My first experience was pretty boring in comparison. I spent ages watching my older brother playing through the shareware version with his friends, and my interest took off from there. I remember Hans Grosse well, watching in amusement as none of the folks in front of me could defeat him. Eventually, it was down to my dad (mum was never into games) to help us out - "If anything moves, just keep shooting it!" Laughing

Soon after, I ordered the registered version.

Can I Play Daddy

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:57 am

Thank You,
Your have a very neat story as well. I don't really remember the first time I have seen Hans Grosse. Very Happy

Last edited by GLENN on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:07 am

Sorry for the off-topic, but here's a link for an article I found, while I was looking for Lone Wolf.
Wolfenstein fundamentals

sentenced
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 5
sao_tome.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:38 am

Codetech84 wrote:
Sorry for the off-topic, but here's a link for an article I found, while I was looking for Lone Wolf.
Wolfenstein fundamentals

You have to hand it to Clubey. I spent the best part of three hours last summer reading pretty much everything his werbsite had to offer. Too much fun!

Can I Play Daddy

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:34 am

Cheak this out too. Same website, differant section. The history of Wolfenstein and the PC Version. I learned mostly about the Mac version and the "Lost" Episodes here. I wonder where he gets all this information.

http://www1.linkclub.or.jp/~clubey/other%20platforms/pcwolf.html

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 65
finland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:38 am

My first Wolfenstein 3d Experimence was in summer 93 (I don't remember much of it because I was only four years old), if I remember right it was the full version and because we didn't have soundcard we had to play
with PC-Sounds only. To be honest those days I didn't know exatly what was going on put I found the game
"Intresting" and finally when I heard the Wolfenstein 3D -source code was released, that was something
I had to get.
Haasboy
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 58
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:43 am

My first Wolf experience was probably when I was about 8 or 9, I came to my uncles house and my cousin was playing it at the time, so I asked if I could have a try, of course I sucked, mostly because I didn't know what to do...

...But in fact it was the first action game I had ever played and I thought it was amazing, only was it until I was about 15 did I discover that a couple of my friends that was a brilliant game that I tried to get it, and thanks to a friend of my brother I was able to play it, that was until I accidently deleted and I then I left it until I came across the website Wolfenstein Bunker hosted by B.J Rowan and he was creating a mod with it called Project Totengraeber.

...I thought wow, I wish I could do that, but I could because I didn't have the full version anymore (till I downloaded the full off the internet) and I then started to create my own mods...............................................and you can say the rest is all history

Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:12 pm

I've told my story but I'll tell it again...

I was in college and I think it was the 93/94 year. That was my most boring year, before girls and parties, and I spent a lot of time in the dorms with my friends, playing SNES or computer games, which were often pretty sucky usually back then. I stumbled across the Wolfenstein shareware on my buddy's PC, and was hooked, mainly because he said he couldn't beat it, and I knew I could beat everything...it didn't seem THAT bad...

I remember Hans for the first time also...I thought he was a big SS at first, and thought he had guns for hands, which I found out later wasn't true. Anyway, I missed a lot of assignments playing that game when I should have been working or going to class, but still managed to pass that year...thank goodness...Laughing

Sadly, my interest in Wolf and SNES but lack of money lead to rent the SNES version of the game so I could try out the "full version". I wasn't impressed by the SNES version, and it dampened my interest in the game for a while. Luckily, I took the time to get the full version a couple years later and my interest began anew... Smile

Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:46 pm

Quote:
I wasn't impressed by the SNES version, and it dampened my interest in the game for a while. Luckily, I took the time to get the full version a couple years later and my interest began anew...

Laughing Yeah. I wasted $7 on the SNES version on Amazon just to get a feeling on what the mac version would be like. Everything (except the weapons and level design) was BAD.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:37 pm

The ironic thing about the SNES version was that - despite the SNES port's quality - the game was wirtten by the same author as the PC version, John Carmack. He did do a better job on the port for Doom though, although it was still a little buggy.
GLENN
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:39 am

Tricob wrote:
The ironic thing about the SNES version was that - despite the SNES port's quality - the game was wirtten by the same author as the PC version, John Carmack. He did do a better job on the port for Doom though, although it was still a little buggy.

Yes. That one much better then SNES WOLF3D. The DOOM sounds were a lot better then "Halt!" or "Stop!'' And what are the Bosses saying??!!

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:48 am

I bet you Carmack didn't approve the cover art for the SNES version...blech...I did find the boss selection for the game very interesting, though...to be honest, I found Otto and Fatface and Gretel kind of boring after playing the SNES version and facing the SOD bosses they'd used instead. I never had any love for the rats or the brown floors, though, and I never noticed the difference in weapon resolution until years later...

Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:37 am

I was surprised to see some of the Spear of Destiny Bosses in the game. I had no idea about that.

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:08 pm

Well, without sounding like I need a lot of flash and stuff to keep me interested in a game, the extra weapons and the "stranger" bosses in the SNES version really captured my interest. I actually found the battles with Death Knight and Ubermutant quite scary at the time (or maybe intense is a better word), and it was a bit of a let down to find that they weren't in the original game when I played it later. The original bosses did suit my adult tastes a bit better once I was older, though, but I was glad to find that Death Knight and Uber actually still existed in a little game called SOD, which I didn't play until just a couple years ago...

Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:51 pm

Quote:
I actually found the battles with Death Knight and Ubermutant quite scary at the time (or maybe intense is a better word), and it was a bit of a let down to find that they weren't in the original game when I played it later.

The Death Knight was a lot more difficult for me because of the amount of nazis. I agree the Ubermutant and Death Knight were a lot more intense. Although...I have found the SNES version useful for my games. I took the gun sprites (ya know, like the mac style) and replaced them for the weapons in my game. See for your self, they are quiet...well...neat.

http://www.retrogamezone.co.uk/images/SNES_Sprites/wolfenstein3d/Wolfenstein3DSheet1.gif

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:08 pm

MM - Otto and Fatface were probably the least interesting of the Wolf bosses I've faced. That's one thing that Spear never had a problem improving upon - how interesting and different the bosses were. And the dying sequence for the Death Knight RULES. Cheesy Grin
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:43 am

Tricob wrote:
MM - Otto and Fatface were probably the least interesting of the Wolf bosses I've faced. That's one thing that Spear never had a problem improving upon - how interesting and different the bosses were. And the dying sequence for the Death Knight RULES. Cheesy Grin

I agree totally...and you know, I'd play the SNES version through again just to see how they pulled off the Hitler (aka Stadmeister) and Death Knight (I think he was called the Black Knight or something in the SNES version) "non-bloody" deaths in that game. I never thought about it at the time, but having seen them on the PC a million times now, I bet they were a lot different for the SNES. I thought it was odd how I never noticed there was no blood, German language, or Nazi decorations in the SNES version until years later...nor did I notice the fact that it looks like you're wearing Vaseline coated goggles when you look at enemies or objects from a distance.

Yeah, I used those Mac guns as well for a weapon set I made, though I merged the chaingun with some frames from the Doom chainsaw to give it a little different look...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:05 am

My first experience.. Haha.. That's look like my first time.. Sorry, well.. I had an old PC.. It was an IBM.. And my cousin open the game, I saw him play.. And I like it.. And I start to play again one fine day.. When I rememberer.. Hahahaha, it's not pretty fun.. But it was my first experience.. Thanks to my cousin and my old IBM!!

Vickyyyyy
Blitzkrieg
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 16
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:16 pm

Wow, my first Wolf3d experience....
I believe it was sometime in 1992 or 1993.. I was six years old...and I played it on a crappy PC that had MS-DOS. Remember when you had to type in a long command line just to open the game? Laughing

- Been playing Wolf3D since '92 Smile! -

Email - cnyiszter@gmail.com (apparently the forum wont let me change my email in my profile ; -_- )
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:30 pm

Making Batch Files was one of my specialties, so I never had to type in long command lines over and over again.

Here's some examples of shortcut Batch Files I created:

>EXE.BAT - I would enter in "EXE" to execute the command "DIR *.EXE /W/P". *Big* time saver.
>COM.BAT - Like EXE.BAT, only for COM files instead of EXE files.
>ZIP.BAT - Would use PKZIP to compress all files in the current directory, then give the ZIP file whatever name you followed the "ZIP" word with.
>UNZIP.BAT - This would decompress the ZIP file you specified, extracting the files not in the current directory, but in C:\%1.
Blitzkrieg
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 16
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:31 pm

Tricob wrote:
Making Batch Files was one of my specialties, so I never had to type in long command lines over and over again.

Here's some examples of shortcut Batch Files I created:

>EXE.BAT - I would enter in "EXE" to execute the command "DIR *.EXE /W/P". *Big* time saver.
>COM.BAT - Like EXE.BAT, only for COM files instead of EXE files.
>ZIP.BAT - Would use PKZIP to compress all files in the current directory, then give the ZIP file whatever name you followed the "ZIP" word with.
>UNZIP.BAT - This would decompress the ZIP file you specified, extracting the files not in the current directory, but in C:\%1.

Man if I werent 6 years old at the time, I wouldve really taken this advice. Razz

- Been playing Wolf3D since '92 Smile! -

Email - cnyiszter@gmail.com (apparently the forum wont let me change my email in my profile ; -_- )
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:34 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Yeah, that was my first Wolfenstein 3D game.. That one was so fun.. I like more that others sounds.. And all the games that computer had!! Hahahaha, however.. That was my first experince!! Very Happy
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: