DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

WOLF4GW
Page 1 of 4 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Feature Fanatics View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 163
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:41 pm
   Subject: Re: Wolf3D and voxels
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

ChiefRebelAngel wrote:
Ahhhh...protected mode! Smile

That's what I was trying to say. Could it be done, and if so, what would the difficulites be/how long would it take? Hmmn...

I'd use DOS4GW to start with. How long it takes would depend partly on how well you know the C language.

Another factor is what you use as a reference to get the code to use DOS4GW. Are you going to familiarize yourself with the source code of Doom, or are you consulting the actual DOS4GW documentation (which you'd probably have to register the program to receive)?

That's information to start you off with, at least. Smile
TexZK
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 19
italy.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:44 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Time ago I've seen someone was porting Wolf3D under DJGPP. This means using a 32bit protected mode engine! However, ASM code is MUCH different (it doesn't use the "simple" syntax of Borland/Microsoft). I think a Windows port will be MUCH better, because we can be able to use DirectX, OpenGL, Winsock2. This is why I'm creating a Wolf3D-like game...
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

Topics: 21
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:22 am

OK, I'm nearly finished with porting Wolf to DOS4GW. All what's left is sound+music and the help art stuff.
It was a lot easier than I thought, although it's REALLY time consuming. Especially when I should be spending most of the time with learning *cough*
After I'm completely finished with the port, I'll probably release the source for it, then port our own engine to it (which also includes porting my tutorials to Wolf4GW (hm, nice name Mr Green)), and at last implement the voxel stuff (perhaps earlier if I'm bored with our engine..)

But with the new memory management it won't be any problem anymore playing around with 64*64*64 (=256kB) voxel "sprites" Very Happy

So when I think about the format of those voxel sprites, I guess the value 255 should be a transparent color. The rest would be quite basic, just 64*64*64 color values. Hmm... although it might be nice not to stick too much to 64 as for example a clip could be much smaller, saving much memory. Or it could be more detailed, so the size in TILEGLOBAL units would also be needed. But I guess, I should implement 64 first before dreaming of even more advanced technologies Mr Green

@Chief: Could you create some sample data for such a 64 sprite? Although I don't know when I'll be able to show any first results, without sample data doing anything is quite difficult Mr Green

@Moderators: Would it be possible to move this thread to the "Feature fanatics" forum, as that is really the place it should be in Embarassed
TexZK
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

italy.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:04 am

Send me the porting!
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:35 am

Wow! You G! I bow down at your feet and worship the altar of Chaos Software!

Hummmmmmmm *bows*..... Hummmmmmmmm *bows*..... or something...

*tumbleweed*

Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:54 am

Mr Green
As I said, I'm not finished yet. Hopefully I'll just need two more nights to get the sound working!
TexZK
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

italy.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:00 am

I'm still developing an OpenGL multiplayer Wolf3D. What I've finished is the rendering. Next I'll control the doors' behaviour, plus every object behaviour (in Quake-style: no more statetypes, just some fire-and-forget variables to set!)!
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:55 pm

Ripper wrote:
OK, I'm nearly finished with porting Wolf to DOS4GW. All what's left is sound+music and the help art stuff.
It was a lot easier than I thought, although it's REALLY time consuming. Especially when I should be spending most of the time with learning *cough*

Sounds awesome Ripper.

Just curious... aside from getting rid of all the near pointers, what else did you have to do?
I guess I'll find out when you release the Source though anyway. Can't wait to check it out. Good luck! Smile
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:31 pm

Well, I'm not getting rid of the near but the far pointers. Then the whole assembler stuff needs to be recoded or translated to C. Also as I was doing this step by step starting with the renderer, I always had much trouble getting the pieces running without the missing rest. But it wouldn't have been possible to find any crash causing bugs, if I didn't (or hadn't ??) do (done) it step by step (ARGH, could anyone please correct this sentence).
Sadly the Watcom debugger is complete shit (or I'm completely stupid Mr Green) so I had to trace down all the crashes with IN_Ack()...

But thanks, hope I don't need to much luck anymore Mr Green

PS: Oh, I forgot, of course, I needed to get rid of ID_PM and ID_MM as I load the whole VSWAP at the begining into memory and I don't use the whole memory management. Of course this just makes things easier, but is also part of the port Wink
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:30 pm

Yawn Music is now working although it sounds really awful, but that's more a problem of VDMS than Wolf Crying or Very sad
But adding most of the ID_SD.C caused some strange crashes. Especially it always hangs when it tries to look for a SoundSource device. But if I print out a message before and wait for a keystroke using printf and IN_Ack (after commenting out SignonScreen()) it doesn't hang!?! Very strange... So I had to disable it for now...
And after the last modifications Wolf hangs when I exit the programm. But that might be a problem with freeing up memory, I didn't check anything yet
Yawn I think it's time for bed Yawn Yawn
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:02 am

Ok, I'm really dumb peeps. Can someone explain to me wat DOS4GW is?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:04 am

Deathshead wrote:
Ok, I'm really dumb peeps. Can someone explain to me wat DOS4GW is?

Me too, but I found the information for DOS4GW throught website.

this link is for you to click here Wink
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:49 pm

I'm quite pleased to see how much progress you've made with your Wolf4GW project. When I finish my code work with Helvete, I'll probably offer to check out the code. Even if I can't help you fix those code problems, at least I can set it up for you so the music doesn't restart when you die or you load up a saved game to appear elsewhere in the same level. This makes it more meaningful to make the game run music files bigger than 64K. I remember that was one of your goals in the long run.
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:30 am

Well the hangs were caused by "cli" instructions which are used to disable interupts, so the interrupt handlers don't use variables which aren't completely set up yet (i.e. in SD_PCPlaySound). The previous state is saved with "pushf" and later restored with "popf". While this is working in real mode without problems, in protected mode "cli" and "sti" (enabling interupts) are priviledged instructions which cause an exception. The exception handler then changes a virtual interrupt flag and continues the programm execution. So these two instructions work. But restoring the previous interrupt flag with "popf" does NOT work.
So this "pushf cli popf" combination only disables interupts, but doesn't enable them anymore. So neither sound, nor keyboard, nor the timer is working anymore, effectivly hanging the programm (i.e. inside a "while(TimerCount<startCount+4);" wait loop).
Currently the programm still hangs, when I change the sound setting from PC speaker (which isn't implemented yet) to AdLib sound (which should work).

Making bigger music files wasn't really one of my goals, but it sounds interesting in combination with your music restart fix Wink
The main reason for doing this is to allow 256 kB voxel sprites and getting rid of any memory problem to allow even cooler features Mr Green

Oh, and btw, with this port it will be possible to add ROTT's midi code Mr Green
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:29 pm

OK, now Adlib music and sounds and PC speaker sounds work already. Now comes a more difficult part: Programming the DSP of a SoundBlaster (or emulated Soundblaster). The problem is the DMA configuration... Well, we'll see...
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:01 pm

I can hear the digitized sounds already, but the sound quality could be a bit better and the sound vanishes after you completed a level. You've got to dis- and reenable sound in the sound menu to get it back... *grml*
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:51 am

Hm, I'm really sad, that I didn't find a proper fix for the keyboard latency stuff (for both real mode (=normal) and protected mode wolf).
But inspite of that ... I still forgot to add the EndText stuff. But then I should be able to release a test version for you to see, whether there are still noticable differences. It's especially a difference if it is SLOWER than normal wolf as the opposite should come out of this (though I didn't see such an improvement).

@Chris: Now I get that gray stuff at the bottom of the playscreen VERY regularly! I guess, now I'll be able to find a fix/hack for it... (You didn't answer to my related post, yet!)
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:14 am

OK, I just uploaded a first test version. Yes, it HAS bugs! One, I know of, is, that sometimes a digitized sound doesn't correctly stop being played and therefore doesn't allow any other sounds with lower priority to play. That a sound is played is indicated by a pink pixel in the upper left. The yellow dots on the border indicate, how many sounds have been played.
To make it clear (for some...): This is debug stuff and WON'T be in the final version Mr Green
You can download the exe here: http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uvaue/chaos/wolf4gw.zip
Just put a standard full version WL6 pack in that directory and start wolf3d.exe (i.e. with vdms).
Please report anything (except those debug pixels mentioned) that doesn't seem to be like the original!
Tell me whether you think it acts different in any minor (or major, of course) way that is negative (say not a bug fix Mr Green)

PS: Just tested that sound priority bug with the original, and it's there, too!!! Perhaps this is an VDMSound issue??
You can reproduce this bug easily by using the MIL cheat to get a gatling gun, fire a salve, try the door, if you still hear the door, fire again, try the door again and so on. You should loose around 6 bullets a salve to get it, but that's very vague.
And all the time I thought I was responsible for that Mr Green
Did anyone encounter this bug before? (May there even be a thread for it somewhere??)
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:07 pm
   Subject: Re: Wolf3D and DOS4GW

The program runs perfectly here on Win98 in a standard Dos window. No problems with the sounds at all.

Hope that helps...

Greg
BrotherTank
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:07 pm
   Subject: Wolf4GW

Hm, sounds good Very Happy
Thanks for having a look at it!

But I need some more system configurations to be tested. If there are no complaints, the source code won't be far away anymore Wink (Of course that should not be a reason to report nothing, as this way you'd just get a source code with more bugs Mr Green)
Still I'll have a look at, whether I can improve speed a little more, as it's especially slow when you have a close look at walls.
And it would be nice, if I could find out the reason for this sound problem.

@BrotherTank: All the time I'm wondering whether or not I should request a name change for this thread. Perhaps this thread should be split into two? One about voxels and one about Wolf4GW? In some way this is part one of the developement of the voxel stuff, but on the other hand it's of course much more... Hm, I guess, splitting it would be the best idea, don't you think?
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:59 pm

On my quite slow WinXP computer (it has a lot of antivirus software running in the background constantly), as far as I can tell there is an increase in speed generally - at least VDMSound and the movement is noticably less jerky. I also got the error you mentioned above, where some sounds cause a giant digitized silence, but apart from that nothing else. Good job, btw Smile

The only other thing which I've noticed thus far being different here is that the transitions at the start between the title screen, the credits screen and the highscore screen are very fast... they only seem to hang around for about a second at most before changing. Other than that it seems identical! Rock on the source code?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:35 pm

Will the some different of sound drivers work with wolf3d while they running Question why? because sound device built into mainboards that can be vary by different manufactures. I think it will better to run plain dos in window instead of VDM Smile
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:23 am

Noticably less jerky? Very Happy
Great Very Happy

Right, I forgot to set the waiting times back to their originals after I tested the demos.

Hm, I think, I should try to get rid of this "silence" bug, as I have the feeling it happens more often than in the original (with VDMSound).

Well, there's still one major bug in the exe I found and removed yesterday. If anyone finds it, I'll release the source Mr Green

@Howling_Wolf: Ahem, I don't really understand, what you're trying to say.. If you have a SoundBlaster compatible card, then of course running Wolf in DOS or Win95/98 is far better than using any emulation software. But without a real SoundBlaster (or without a damned ISA slot on my motherboard to get my old SoundBlaster card work *grml* Crying or Very sad) you have no choice but to use emulation (like DOSBox, VDMSound or, if you have WinXP, WinXP's integrated emulation).
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:50 am

Ripper wrote:
Well, there's still one major bug in the exe I found and removed yesterday. If anyone finds it, I'll release the source Mr Green

Saved games don't load/save properly. Question Smile

I noticed that you removed a few debugging codes too:

- Pressing Tab to play the demo
- Tab-T (maybe because main/ems is handled differently now?)
- Tab-P (yeah, it didn't work right anyway as is! haha)
- Tab-M (another one because memory is handled differently now?)
- Tab-B (weird hex numbers, wonder what they mean - heh)

The pc speaker sounds seem to play alot faster than in the normal exe here, and the config file is bigger by 41 bytes; which is kind of interesting (wonder what other kind of settings you plugged into there). The new colors of the intro bars was interesting. Maybe you should change the signon screen so it says V1.5 (so people can have a reference)? Heh. Apart from that, and what you and Hair Machine said (sound cutting out sometimes, delay speed on intro screens faster sometimes), I haven't really noticed any other bugs yet, but I'll keep playing around. I can just imagine what all that asm/memory management code looks like now. Mr Green

This is looking pretty damn sweet so far Ripper, nice work!
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:10 pm
   Subject: Re: WOLF4GW

Damned, you found it too quickly Mr Green
Yes, it was the saved games crashes!

Congratulations, BUT I seem to have messed up something which sometimes causes guards to bark... Just like you described in Chokage Mr Green
*cough* Of course, that's a feature which is meant to surprise the player *cough*
Perhaps this just happened when I cleaned up half of the source codes for release...
Also I thought I had fixed that not stopping sounds bug, but it was even worse when I played just now!
I hope I get it right again quickly...

Btw, I readded Tab-T for the sake of it Mr Green Just removed some info as the pages are just one big array now.
Tab-P was removed, because it didn't work anyway, just like you said Wink
Tab-M was removed, because I don't have anything to tell about memory yet. Perhaps this will be added later, when people are so greedy that they exceed even that much memory Mr Green (DOS4GW is limited to 32 MB)
(I guess that happens quicker than we may be thinking Wink)

Another btw: I lost most of this day's time, because there was a small hole in a pipe in our cellar... That was really fun... We still have to turn on water manually and put a bucket under the pipe, as it will be repaired (or "hacked") tomorrow. Our tries to stop the water coming out of the pipe sadly didn't work Sad
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:28 pm

Argh!!!!! It's just my luck for Ripper to release a great new Wolf3D EXE when I'm stuck using a dinky Pentium-100 with no soundcard or harddisk space! Oh, well. Just three more weeks of this to put up with. Hopefully. Not Happy
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:20 pm

OK, the problem really seems to be VDMSound related. I made VDMSound log everything it does and I found, that for the sounds, which don't seem to stop and therefore don't release their "priority slot", no "transfer ended" interrupt is ever called!
Here are the logs of the normal way: A sound is played, get's interrupted by another one, which then ends correctly (HandleAfterTransfer):

::: CODE :::
@I - 02:10:58.572 - SB Controller
   startTransfer: Starting DMA transfer (playback) on ch. 1
   (single-cycle, 4096 samples/block): 8-bit mono 7042Hz, unsigned PCM
@W - 02:10:58.573 - SB Controller
   resumeTransfer: Attempted to resume an already active transfer
@I - 02:10:58.607 - SB Controller
   pauseTransfer: DMA transfer paused (ch. 1)
@I - 02:10:58.620 - SB Controller
   (single-cycle, 3605 samples/block): 8-bit mono 7042Hz, unsigned PCM
@W - 02:10:58.620 - SB Controller
@I - 02:10:59.119 - SB Controller
   HandleAfterTransfer: Interrupting (8-bit, x1) after 499ms, 3605 bytes
   (terminal count)
@I - 02:10:59.119 - SB Controller
   IRQ acknowledged (8-bit)
@I - 02:10:59.120 - SB Controller

But here the transfer doesn't stop correctly from VDMSounds side, even after 6,15 seconds!

::: CODE :::
@I - 02:11:01.297 - SB Controller
   (single-cycle, 2850 samples/block): 8-bit mono 7042Hz, unsigned PCM
@W - 02:11:01.297 - SB Controller
@I - 02:11:07.448 - SB Controller
@I - 02:11:08.962 - AdLib Controller
   Reprogramming OPL timer 1, counter value = 0 (T = 20.480ms).
(The Adlib stuff at the bottom is part of the exit routine)

I already had a look at an older version of VDMSound's sourcecode (from 2001), but of course it's very unprobably that I find something related to 2.0.4 update 2 (from April 2003)... So I'll have to install CVS again and download a newer version... Which all takes far too much time...

Then a second problem: When ever I make some more code changes, the save games won't work anymore and cause crashes (so the bug is not fixed yet). The problem with the savegames is, that they include addresses of the state structures and of the actor objects. Addresses in memory! I tried to get around this problem by using relative addresses. For the actorat field that's no problem, but for the states it seems to be a problem. For them I use s_grdstand as a reference, but perhaps the linker doesn't put the wl_act2.cpp into one continous block, which could make these relative addresses point into something stupid, which causes a crash, when the think functions are called.

So for now, I'll concentrate on the save game problem and then release the source code as promised in form of a beta. After that I'll try fix that sound issue hopefully without making a "VDMSound for Wolf" release Mr Green

@Tricob: Well, there's nothing so special about playing this exe (except for trying to find differences Mr Green) so you won't be missing something until I release the source and you're unable to play around with it Mr Green
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:42 pm

ARGH, the last problem with the savegames was, that I forgot to "relativify" the visspot pointer for the static objects...

OK, here we go: Please applaud a bit for Chris, who solved the "bug quiz" Mr Green Pizza

The current beta version of the Wolf4GW source code is available at: http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uvaue/chaos/wolf4gwsrc_050916.zip (Update: You should get the current version from the download page at http://www.chaos-software.de.vu)
In order to compile it you'll need Open Watcom 1.3 (Update: http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/Download -> choose a mirror -> click on archive -> search for "open-watcom-win32-1.3.exe" with help of your status bar. You could also try the current version, but I haven't tried this yet).
If you didn't tell Watcom to alter your path settings, you'll have to open a command prompt go into the watcom directory and call the "setvars" batch file. After that type "ide" to open the quite ugly IDE (which also has a very bad editor (beware the undo/redo function. For me it removed some completely unrelated lines twice...). Of course, if the path settings were altered you can just open the ide over a shortcut (i.e. in your Programms menu).
In the IDE open the project in the directory where you extracted the Wolf4GW files. With F4 or "Targets" -> "Make" you can create an EXE file. It'll be best if you copy DOS4GW.EXE from the "binw" folder inside your Watcom installation into the Wolf4GW directory.
Then copy a standard wolf fileset into that directory and run Wolf3d.exe
That should do it Wink

As I said, I'll try to improve the sound for VDMSound later. But I guess without emulation it should run quite perfectly Mr Green
Any information about how it runs under DOSBox would be interesting Wink

@Chris: I forgot to mention: There isn't anything new to the config file except a small "magiccode" so you don't try to run Wolf4GW with a Wolf3D config which crashes the programm because of it's slightly different format. The main difference is in the size of the integer variables. But that's not really important, you could get it down to the original size without major problems Wink
Hm, I didn't try <Tab> at the start together with "goobers" to record a demo yet. Does it still not work?
Oh damn, I forgot to check that pc speaker issue. Well now is a very bad time to try this, as my wife is already sleeping for hours in the same room. I noticed though, that the music's speed increases if there's too much sound "trouble" going on. But I'll be going to bed now too Yawn Yawn ....

Edit: Updated the link to watcom.

Last edited by Ripper on Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:52 am

The download method of Watcom is too messy for me to understand. Can sum1 send me a bulk verison?
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:23 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

What's the problem with it?
OK, here's a more detailed installation description:

At the site mentioned above click on "Open Watcom C/C++/FORTRAN Download (Windows or OS/2 Installer)". Then click on the link "Download Site" and choose "open-watcom-win32-1.3.exe" (you can see the full name in the status bar if you hold the mouse above the files, it's the 64MB file from 3-Aug-2004).
Then after a while of downloading (I hope nobody has a too slow connection) execute the installation programm, follow the orders select "DOS" and "Windows 95/98/NT/2000" then "32-bit DOS" (of course you may also select "16-bit DOS" and "32-bit Windows" if you like, but that's not needed here).
On the next page you should select everything but "FORTRAN/77 Compiler" (though I didn't get the debugger to work on my system...).
Then choose whether or not you want your autoexec.bat to be altered. I would suggest not to do that as it may break your Borland C 3.1 installation. Confirm the backup stuff and start the installation process.
Now continue as described above. (The installation was more complicated than I remembered *cough*)
Hope that helped Mr Green
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Feature Fanatics View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 4 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: